27 (39.1%)
Low - can't miss 2 in a row like that, put him on short leash
15 (21.7%)
Zero -Look for a new place kicker now
10 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Pigskin

Quote from: gordo on August 16, 2022, 08:37:26 AM
Yup let?s not airlift in a new kicker and risk key points in a close western final or grey cup. Maybe even another missed convert to lose by a single.  Because hey, it will be great experience for Legg?s development. And that is the priority is it not?

Or let?s just put extra pressure on the offence to outscore the other team by enough to compensate for our developing kicker?s misses in a season we are a Grey Cup favorite. 

Bottom line - we have a 3-peat Grey Cup team. Let?s not F it up developing a kicker into the playoffs.

No one said to develop a kicker in the playoffs. Give the kid a few more games and see what shakes loose from the NFL. We also mite be able to make a trade with one of the bottom feeders in the CFL.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 16, 2022, 01:25:59 PM
How do you know a new kicker will be better until he plays in a multitude of games?

In 2021 we airlifted Crapigna and Mourtada. How did that work out?

Chances are any new kicker is going to be a rookie that may have looked good in college. That doesn't always translate into the pro leagues.

I don't remember airlifting them in...they were brought in early as depth and competition when it was clear that Legs couldn't do the job.

We airlifted in Castillio and it worked out fantastic.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: Waffler on August 15, 2022, 10:02:22 PM
I went to training camp almost daily the year Parades was here and the fact is that he got beat out pretty cleanly by Palardy. You could see he had potential, too much to stick on the practice squad. So Calgary picked him up and it worked out but at the time NO ONE would have bet the farm on it. In fact, his first couple games were pretty shaky and he finished the year kicking 77.8 %

Just really tired of the Parades name coming up every time we miss one. But yes, your point of working with talent is correct Sir.

McCallum was run out of SSK after his sophomore year...  BC got the benefit of that...

Not every kicker that gets run out of town turns it around.  Maybe sometimes, the change of scenery is what does it for them, lets not make this another case of that happening.  Leggs will be fine, and a part of the WFC for years to come, as long as we don't chase him out of town...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on August 16, 2022, 02:42:00 PM
I don't remember airlifting them in...they were brought in early as depth and competition when it was clear that Legs couldn't do the job.

We airlifted in Castillio and it worked out fantastic.

What else are you going to call it when we used 4 different kickers in a shortened 14 game season? As somebody pointed out we traded to get Castillo and he played 3 games.

Regardless. The point was that any new kicker is likely going to be a rookie and unproven. Unless he gets into games you won't really know how he'll do under pressure. Import kickers struggle and take time to develop just the same as Canadian kickers.

How much time would you give Liegghio before replacing him? What do you do if the next kicker misses a couple of kicks?

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 16, 2022, 03:13:13 PM
What else are you going to call it when we used 4 different kickers in a shortened 14 game season? As somebody pointed out we traded to get Castillo and he played 3 games.

Regardless. The point was that any new kicker is likely going to be a rookie and unproven. Unless he gets into games you won't really know how he'll do under pressure. Import kickers struggle and take time to develop just the same as Canadian kickers.

How much time would you give Liegghio before replacing him? What do you do if the next kicker misses a couple of kicks?

Leggs was a raw rookie.  Of course you want additional options just in case, and to compete / mentor. 

Now he's all of one year older, with a season worth of football under his belt, and this season has been perfect in 8 of 10 games on FG's.  With a LS that is not Chad Remple, and various holders.  The most important factor for FG kickers is consistency.  When you can't field a consistent battery, it affect things.

I still contend that the blame for the 0:00  FG miss goes to Benson.  That snap was feildable, but wide and distracting.  Should have put it through, Prukop did a great job recovering, but I understand the miss.  And it is far from 100% on Leggs.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 16, 2022, 03:13:13 PM

I would call it having a bunch of ***** kickers - hence the need to airlift a vet when he became available.

Anyone brought in this year would have to fit the same criteria - you are right that we are not bringing in an untested rookie - that would be silly.

I think the only real option is if Lirim decides he's ready to come back.
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on August 16, 2022, 03:26:01 PM
I would call it having a bunch of ***** kickers - hence the need to airlift a vet when he became available.

Anyone brought in this year would have to fit the same criteria - you are right that we are not bringing in an untested rookie - that would be silly.

Lirim was winning the kicking battle at Dallas Cowboys training camp according to reports a week ago. He missed his only field goal attempt in their first pre-season game, but it was a 56-yard attempt in the pouring rain. Interestingly, he's competiting against another former CFLer, Brett Maher.

https://3downnation.com/2022/08/09/canadian-kicker-lirim-hajrullahu-winning-competition-for-dallas-cowboys-kicking-job/

Blue In BC

Targeting a specific veteran that may or may not ever be returning to CFL is not an " airlift ". Neither is what some posters suggest in trading for someone like Ward or Castillo at the end of the season. In theory any player could eventually become available on trade although not in the short term loaner some have suggested.

Even if that changes, what is the team willing to give up in order to acquire a given player?

We lucked out getting Castillo last year because he didn't report to the Lions and was essentially excess to them.  IIRC he earned $7500 per game. As it turns out it was worth it but there was no guarantee that would be the case.

Walters had an opportunity to make Castillo a new offer. He may have and Castillo may have declined. I'm under the impression that we didn't try to re-sign him.

As I've mentioned kickers are a very small pool of available talent at any time. Bombers brought about 27 DB's and that many receivers to TC. Did we have a 3rd kicker in TC?

If each NFL team has 4 in kicker in TC ( some may be kickers, punters or both ) that's about 130 in total. Each team probably keeps 2, possibly 3. That leaves 65 or less remaining of which most will be rookies and / or not place kickers.

Sure if Lirim comes available speak with his agent. I think he will continue to land a spot somewhere in the NFL if the Cowboys do release him. OTOH it is a function of the ratio with every Canadian player needing time to develop.

Castillo was 10 / 13 FG's and 5/6 for the Bombers in 4 games in 2015. Lirim was 40 / 46 also in 2015. I can't really remember all the circumstances why neither were back in 2016. A general impression was that we wanted a better kicker?

Round and round we go.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Considering he's currently the starter in Dallas, with only Maher behind him on the DC, not seeing him return any time soon... but who knows.  Maybe a better kicker shakes loose elsewhere and Dallas makes a change.  But its hard to think a team would go through TC with a guy pencilled in as a starter and no one competing, and not open game one with him starting.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/dal/dallas-cowboys

Stats Junkie

Quote from: theaardvark on August 16, 2022, 03:03:45 PM
McCallum was run out of SSK after his sophomore year...  BC got the benefit of that...

Not every kicker that gets run out of town turns it around.  Maybe sometimes, the change of scenery is what does it for them, lets not make this another case of that happening.  Leggs will be fine, and a part of the WFC for years to come, as long as we don't chase him out of town...
Paul McCallum was a rookie in 1993, not 2004 as it appears you,re suggesting.

By 2004, McCallum had been with:
BC Lions
Ottawa Rough Riders
BC Lions
Saskatchewan Roughriders
BC Lions (practice roster)
Saskatchewan Roughriders
Scottish Claymores (WLAF)
Saskatchewan Roughriders
Las Vegas Outlaws (XFL)
Saskatchewan Roughriders

Fun facts: Paul McCallum scored the first points (FG) in XFL1 history. He finished the season with "CFL Reject" on the back of his jersey.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

theaardvark

Quote from: Stats Junkie on August 16, 2022, 04:07:10 PM
Paul McCallum was a rookie in 1993, not 2004 as it appears you,re suggesting.

By 2004, McCallum had been with:
BC Lions
Ottawa Rough Riders
BC Lions
Saskatchewan Roughriders
BC Lions (practice roster)
Saskatchewan Roughriders
Scottish Claymores (WLAF)
Saskatchewan Roughriders
Las Vegas Outlaws (XFL)
Saskatchewan Roughriders

Fun facts: Paul McCallum scored the first points (FG) in XFL1 history. He finished the season with "CFL Reject" on the back of his jersey.

Funny, the CFL database starts him in 2004... my bad...   still, even more to the point... even veterans miss kicks and get run out of town and go on to become HOF'ers

NewBlue

If you guys got your way I guarentee in a few years we'll be posting about how we could trade for Leggs, as we move on from yet another kicker.

He did just fine before lastgame, he deserves more slack.

Pigskin

Quote from: NewBlue on August 16, 2022, 05:01:10 PM
If you guys got your way I guarentee in a few years we'll be posting about how we could trade for Leggs, as we move on from yet another kicker.

He did just fine before lastgame, he deserves more slack.

Totally agree. Always looking to throw someone under the bus. There are so many plays in a game. If ZC8 doesn't fumble, if our OL played better, if our OL doesn't take those IP's. If we didn't go offside on the goal line. We are 9-1, the bombers as a team will grow from this. Let's have a little faith in our coach and management. In the end they always seem to make the right moves.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

NewBlue

Quote from: Pigskin on August 16, 2022, 07:03:38 PM
Totally agree. Always looking to throw someone under the bus. There are so many plays in a game. If ZC8 doesn't fumble, if our OL played better, if our OL didn't take those IP's. If we didn't go offside on the goal line. We are 9-1, the bombers as a team will grow from this. Let's have a little faith in our coach and management. In the end they always seem to make the right moves.

Thumbs up.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on August 16, 2022, 03:03:45 PM

Again, no one is looking to replace Leggs punting or kickoff duties, he's doing an exceptional job with both.  His job is secure and he's not going anywhere unless he eventually asks for too much money.  If he struggles again with the pressure kicking FG's or converts in game, he can step back and work on his craft during practice, and try to take on all 3 roles again next season.  Proper development and psychic protection for a young player, covered.