Medium - let the kid learn, give him some more rope
27 (39.1%)
Low - can't miss 2 in a row like that, put him on short leash
15 (21.7%)
Zero -Look for a new place kicker now
10 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Blue In BC

Curious about those in the poll suggesting to have him on a short lease. What would be the immediate solution? Activate Moutada? It's not like we can bench Liegghio during the game and not attempt FG's or not ever kick converts.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

trade every player at the first sign of adversity.  Abandon development of any player, in exchange for a player at the end of his career.  If only Palardy hadn't beaten Paredes out in camp, we might be watching the best kicker in CFL history in Blue and Gold.  

And Paredes wasn't that great in his first year... its a wonder CGY stuck with him... oh, I forgot, Huff knows how to develop players...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on August 14, 2022, 07:05:44 PM
trade every player at the first sign of adversity.  Abandon development of any player, in exchange for a player at the end of his career.  If only Palardy hadn't beaten Paredes out in camp, we might be watching the best kicker in CFL history in Blue and Gold.  

And Paredes wasn't that great in his first year... its a wonder CGY stuck with him... oh, I forgot, Huff knows how to develop players...

Medlock was the best kicker in CFL history, Parades doesn't punt and the Stamps rarely push him beyond 45 yds.

dd

MOS is sticking with Leggs, we ll see how this plays out. One bad hold and we re looking for the axe.

One thing I must say, is I admire and respect how Legs didn?t throw his holder under the bus on this one where it was obvious from the point of contact that there was something wrong with the hold. No way a ball comes out like that properly held.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on August 14, 2022, 07:23:09 PM
MOS is sticking with Leggs, we ll see how this plays out. One bad hold and we re looking for the axe.

One thing I must say, is I admire and respect how Legs didn?t throw his holder under the bus on this one where it was obvious from the point of contact that there was something wrong with the hold. No way a ball comes out like that properly held.

The hold is clearly visible in the video, a kicking expert needs to step forth and tell us exactly what is wrong with the hold, because to my untrained eye it looks exactly like a good hold should.

bomb squad

Looked to me like he held the ball between his thumb and index finger. Not saying that?s wrong, but I always thought it should just be your index finger on the tip of the ball.

guyinfla89

If we want GC this yr there's no time for a kicker development program.  Fact is we won't win GC & might not win the West without a kicker who can deliver under pressure.  Lions are right behind us, Rourke looking like Tom Brady and they don't have a kicker problem.

Redblacks need help, won't make playoffs with crossover certain, they have time to develop players.  Why not Offer Leggs + draft choices for Ward?

The Zipp

Quote from: guyinfla89 on August 14, 2022, 08:31:17 PM
If we want GC this yr there's no time for a kicker development program.  Fact is we won't win GC & might not win the West without a kicker who can deliver under pressure.  Lions are right behind us, Rourke looking like Tom Brady and they don't have a kicker problem.

Redblacks need help, won't make playoffs with crossover certain, they have time to develop players.  Why not Offer Leggs + draft choices for Ward?

In the CFL the RB could be grey cup champions next year.  I don't know what year Ward is on in his contract either. 

theaardvark

Quote from: guyinfla89 on August 14, 2022, 08:31:17 PM

As to BC not having a kicker problem... Sean Whyte is 14 of 16 for 87.5%, Leggs is 19 of 23 for 82.6%.  Not a huge difference...

If you are trading for a "rental" the the RB don't want a kicker back, because they will be getting Ward back...

If your kicker is the difference between winning and losing, your O and D aren't doing enough.  We have both that should make that difference.   

Were are midway through year two with a kicker who has been perfect on FG in 8 of 10 games so far this year.  One bad kick, and one near miss and suddenly everyone is panicked.  MOS is a great coach, and will get Leggs to where we need him to be.  He is light years ahead of last year, and is just getting better.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: theaardvark on August 14, 2022, 07:05:44 PM

Love it, seen that movie play out on the forum 3 years ago.  2 cups later, patience paid off.
Quote from: Blue In BC on August 14, 2022, 06:52:59 PM
Curious about those in the poll suggesting to have him on a short lease. What would be the immediate solution? Activate Moutada? It's not like we can bench Liegghio during the game and not attempt FG's or not ever kick converts.
Exactly, off topic but one of our receivers are the backup kicker can't recall who, cjob had a story about this few games ago, anyone recall?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 14, 2022, 09:30:39 PM
Love it, seen that movie play out on the forum 3 years ago.  2 cups later, patience paid off.Exactly, off topic but one of our receivers are the backup kicker can't recall who, cjob had a story about this few games ago, anyone recall?

Ellingson.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on August 14, 2022, 09:06:23 PM
As to BC not having a kicker problem... Sean Whyte is 14 of 16 for 87.5%, Leggs is 19 of 23 for 82.6%.  Not a huge difference...

If you are trading for a "rental" the the RB don't want a kicker back, because they will be getting Ward back...

If your kicker is the difference between winning and losing, your O and D aren't doing enough.  We have both that should make that difference.   

Were are midway through year two with a kicker who has been perfect on FG in 8 of 10 games so far this year.  One bad kick, and one near miss and suddenly everyone is panicked.  MOS is a great coach, and will get Leggs to where we need him to be.  He is light years ahead of last year, and is just getting better.

The Bombers don't win the 2021 G.C. without Castillo going 5/5.  How happy are you with O'Shea now if he rolled into that game with Leggs having to match that output?  Now imagine the dark future.... 

O'Shea can't do anything for Leggs except give him the time and opportunity to improve his worth, he throws his players  off the dock and they either sink or swim, his entire mantra is based on self-initiative and accountability to team-mates.  If you think he's down there coaching him up on the art of kicking, you're out-to-lunch.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: gordo on August 14, 2022, 04:35:32 PM
Be honest, how nervous are you if Leggs trots out to attempt a 40 yarder to win the West Final?  45 yarder? 50 yarder?

I'd be most nervous with a 32 yarder, as that's the distance he's missed most this year (when you include PATs).  We've seen in the past K's that have trouble with the 32 for some odd reason.  They don't usually last long.  That one needs to be 95%.

It's funny, but I'd feel better with Leggs doing a 40-45.  It's the 30-37 and 50+ range that would make me nervous.  The PAT-bug is in his head, and it won't fly out.
Never go full Rider!

Cool Spot

Quote from: theaardvark on August 14, 2022, 09:06:23 PM

To be fair, we need to include 1-pt converts:

* Whyte is 14/16 on FGs, and 31/32 on 1-pt converts. That is 45/48 = 93.75%
* Leggs is 19/23 on FGs, and 20/24 on 1-pt converts. That is 39/47 = 82.98%

I'd say that ~10% is a pretty sizable difference; I haven't done the math but within a single game I'd estimate that works out to 2 or 3 points, on average.

If we look other kickers around the league, I've sorted them by overall successful kicking rate and included BC and Wpg:

* Seth Small (HAM) - 12/13 FGs, 9/9 1-pt converts. Total = 21/22 = 95.4%
* Rene Paredes (CGY) - 28/31 FGs, 21/21 1-pt converts. Total = 49/52 = 94.2%
* Sean Whyte (BC) - 14/16 FGs, 31/32 1-pt converts. Total = 45/48 = 93.75%
* David Cote (MTL) - 22/27 FGs, 17/17 1-pt converts. Total = 39/44 = 88.6%
* Lewis Ward (OTT) - 20/24 FGs, 9/10 1-pt converts. Total = 29/34 = 85.3%
* Boris Bede (TOR) - 21/26 FGs, 12/13 1-pt converts. Total = 33/39 = 84.6%
* Brett Lauther (SSK) - 24/28 FGs, 11/13 1-pt converts. Total = 35/42 = 83.3%
* Leggs (WPG) - 19/23 FGs, 20/24 on 1-pt converts. Total = 39/47 = 83.0%
* Sergio Castillo (EDM) - 21/26 FGs, 8/10 1-pt converts. Total = 29/36 = 80.6%
* Michael Domagala (HAM) - 12/16 FGs, 4/5 1-pt converts. Total = 16/21 = 76.2%

I think it's hard to look at these numbers and not have some concerns (if you combine HAM's two kickers, their combined success rate is 86.0% meaning that as a team, Wpg has the second-lowest kicking success rate in the league).

Source: https://www.cfl.ca/stats/?stat_category=field_goals&season=2022 (Date accessed: Aug 14, 2022)

Tee42

Why don?t you analyze greater than 30 and less than 30.
Keep in mind teams that cant score touch downs rely on their kicking game. Where Winnipeg really hasn?t had to do that in the past. Winnipeg has played the field position game and we have done it very well with leggs punting game. Our special teams coverage has struggled.
This year Winnipeg doesn?t appear to be as strong. Our team has struggled and let?s be honest we have been very lucky in a lot of games. Do you really believe we should be nine and one? This year is not going to be easy. It?s a team effort. Teams will get stronger week by week. Our weaknesses will be flushed out very easily. Don?t blame the kicking game.