Medium - let the kid learn, give him some more rope
27 (39.1%)
Low - can't miss 2 in a row like that, put him on short leash
15 (21.7%)
Zero -Look for a new place kicker now
10 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 68

NewBlue

I rewatched the end of the game today, I thought the snap was wide left and Prukop had to reach, and was slow to set it. 
It for sure messed up the timing.

We all know the kickers we've run out of town in the past, lets not make that same mistake again.
How are you suppossed to learn & grow if you can't make a mistake? 

pjrocksmb

Quote from: NewBlue on August 13, 2022, 10:42:44 PM
I rewatched the end of the game today, I thought the snap was wide left and Prukop had to reach, and was slow to set it. 

We all know the kickers we've run out of town in the past, lets not make that same mistake again.
Agree with everything.  Many fans including a bunch on here don't have enough patience.  This organization has been successful as they build the team through consistency and player development.  That's the recipe foe success with Leggs.  He will get better if you have faith and allow him to iron out the wrinkles with his snapper and holder.  Its too bad we ran those other kickers out of town but sure proud of what they did when they left.

Tee42

Thank you for taking interest.  Game winning kick not his fault. There has never been a game where Leggs has shanked a ball like that. The holding timing and snapping was off. Overtime field-goal hitting post?. bad luck. Leggs can do it, fans need to rally behind him and not add additional pressure. Leggs had the same holder for five years in university. Makes the job much easier when you have confidence in your snapper and holder.   

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Tee42 on August 14, 2022, 02:33:03 AM
Thank you for taking interest.  Game winning kick not his fault. There has never been a game where Leggs has shanked a ball like that. The holding timing and snapping was off. Overtime field-goal hitting post?. bad luck. Leggs can do it, fans need to rally behind him and not add additional pressure. Leggs had the same holder for five years in university. Makes the job much easier when you have confidence in your snapper and holder.  
I like your attitude son!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: NewBlue on August 13, 2022, 10:42:44 PM

Yes, it was slightly wide.  However, I'd say 20%+ of CFL FG snaps are that wide.  It's the holder's job to recover.  He recovered perfectly from what I saw.  Looked flawless.  Certainly good enough that the good CFL kickers make that 32 yarder 95%+ of the time or get the single.

Since when have we ever, on this forum, tried so desperately to find excuses for a kicker botching it so badly?  No one backed up H{lotsofletters}'s 5 misses in 1 game.  No one tried to find evidence of a bad hold that is not remotely visible on screen.  Ya, we like this kid Leggs and want him to win, but the lengths some are going through is unprecedented.

And again, don't need to cut Leggs; we can helicopter in someone for playoffs or even right now and dress both (yes, losing a DI).  Leggs still might make a good long term prospect but we need playoff insurance.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Leggs is what, 24 games into his career?  Not even 2 seasons?  And we're expecting him to react to a bad snap without flinching?

Even though Prokup might have gotten the ball into place, it gave Leggs a startle.  Yes, he has to learn from this, and no doubt he will.  He has been money so far this year, and we are 9-1 with him kicking, many of those games won by the FG's he has kicked.

The more situations he is in like this, the more he will learn, the more conditioned he will be to trust his holder and focus purely on the kick.  Its muscle memory for most of kicking, but something out of the ordinary happening can startle any player, and a kid in his sophomore season, c'mon.

He struggled in his rookie season, we brought in Castillo as insurance, and it paid off, and Leggs probably learned a lot in that time.  He's been one of the best kickers so far this year, handling all three jobs as a Nat.  Gives us roster flexibility.

As to anyone suggesting "we are paying him to..." anything, he's on his ELC.  He's not getting Castillo numbers...

So, one game aside, we are getting more than our money's worth, and roster flexibility. 

And he's still a darned good kicker with a career ahead of him.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

BLUEBOMBER

Always felt Legghio would cost us a game or two..  didn't think it would be this important game where he missed two in a row..  If we want to win the Grey Cup..  need a new kicker ASAP.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on August 14, 2022, 05:36:14 AM
Leggs is what, 24 games into his career?  Not even 2 seasons?  And we're expecting him to react to a bad snap without flinching?

Even though Prokup might have gotten the ball into place, it gave Leggs a startle.  Yes, he has to learn from this, and no doubt he will.  He has been money so far this year, and we are 9-1 with him kicking, many of those games won by the FG's he has kicked.

The more situations he is in like this, the more he will learn, the more conditioned he will be to trust his holder and focus purely on the kick.  Its muscle memory for most of kicking, but something out of the ordinary happening can startle any player, and a kid in his sophomore season, c'mon.

He struggled in his rookie season, we brought in Castillo as insurance, and it paid off, and Leggs probably learned a lot in that time.  He's been one of the best kickers so far this year, handling all three jobs as a Nat.  Gives us roster flexibility.

As to anyone suggesting "we are paying him to..." anything, he's on his ELC.  He's not getting Castillo numbers...

So, one game aside, we are getting more than our money's worth, and roster flexibility. 

And he's still a darned good kicker with a career ahead of him.

Whether they replace Leggs as the FG kicker depends how secure Walters wishes to be going into the playoffs, luckily they have a couple more byes after this one to evaluate and shop for a kicker, so plenty of time left to decide. I trust he will evaluate with the cold rationality he has used to build this team into repeating G.C. champions heading towards their 3rd attempt.  No matter his decision Leggs will still hang onto his job as the punter, so he will still have time to develop his craft and overcome his flaws.  Unfortunately this last game was not a "one-off", Leggs has demonstrated multiple times in his short career that he gets rattled or confused by earlier misses and has not demonstrated the ability to self-correct quickly enough.

Fact is this season the Bombers have legitimate challengers to their throne, a 3rd G.C. victory is not a given, considering how close the margin of victory has been in multiple games already this season, it will be a challenge even winning the West.  Chances R we will see another last minute trial for Leggs, he must prove he can ace his next exam and not be thrown off by any distraction, full stop.  If the egg cracks again, it must be replaced.

gordo

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 14, 2022, 04:37:07 AM
Yes, it was slightly wide.  However, I'd say 20%+ of CFL FG snaps are that wide.  It's the holder's job to recover.  He recovered perfectly from what I saw.  Looked flawless.  Certainly good enough that the good CFL kickers make that 32 yarder 95%+ of the time or get the single.

Since when have we ever, on this forum, tried so desperately to find excuses for a kicker botching it so badly?  No one backed up H{lotsofletters}'s 5 misses in 1 game.  No one tried to find evidence of a bad hold that is not remotely visible on screen.  Ya, we like this kid Leggs and want him to win, but the lengths some are going through is unprecedented.

And again, don't need to cut Leggs; we can helicopter in someone for playoffs or even right now and dress both (yes, losing a DI).  Leggs still might make a good long term prospect but we need playoff insurance.

Agree.  Two good points bolded.

Saying we need to give the kid time to develop and he will be a good kicker is valid.  And if we were the Elks I'd say it doesn't matter this year so let's give him time.  Difference is we are favourites to win the Grey Cup and one important thing that could sink the ship is missed field goals in pressure situations in the West Final or Grey Cup game.  It's not worth the risk to not helicopter someone in.

So I think if they can swing it, then let's keep Legs and let him develop but get someone in for playoffs.

Be honest, how nervous are you if Leggs trots out to attempt a 40 yarder to win the West Final?  45 yarder? 50 yarder?

theaardvark

Quote from: gordo on August 14, 2022, 04:35:32 PM
Agree.  Two good points bolded.

Saying we need to give the kid time to develop and he will be a good kicker is valid.  And if we were the Elks I'd say it doesn't matter this year so let's give him time.  Difference is we are favourites to win the Grey Cup and one important thing that could sink the ship is missed field goals in pressure situations in the West Final or Grey Cup game.  It's not worth the risk to not helicopter someone in.

So I think if they can swing it, then let's keep Legs and let him develop but get someone in for playoffs.

Be honest, how nervous are you if Leggs trots out to attempt a 40 yarder to win the West Final?  45 yarder? 50 yarder?

I guess the issue is to put games away by the third quarter, let the D shut them down in the 4th, and never put Leggs into the situation where we need him to kick a 55 yarder for the win...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Just one example of short missed FG's from 2022

David Cote MISSES his 1st field goal of the night from 21 yards away in the dying seconds of the 4th quarter.

The Argonauts hang on and win their home opener, 20-19 final.

Note: CFL.CA shows 2 blocked kicks this year. 6 in 2019 and 6 in 2021.  Compare that to the number of FG's that are missed for one reason or another versus problems with punts.

EDIT: I'd guess a similar number of roughing or contacting the kicker penalties ( perhaps more ) than blocked punts in a season. Not sure where to track that info.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

I gave Leggs a 7 out of 10 in the last Pj rating Leggs system that has now dropped to 5 out of 10. No question he takes a great chunk of the responsibility of losing that game.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 14, 2022, 05:58:44 PM
Just one example of short missed FG's from 2022

David Cote MISSES his 1st field goal of the night from 21 yards away in the dying seconds of the 4th quarter.

The Argonauts hang on and win their home opener, 20-19 final.

Note: CFL.CA shows 2 blocked kicks this year. 6 in 2019 and 6 in 2021.  Compare that to the number of FG's that are missed for one reason or another versus problems with punts.

Just 5 years ago....

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/26/medlock-attempting-kick-untimely-slump/
Bomber fan for life

guyinfla89

Time for a change.  Pressure situation not an excuse.  There will be more pressure situations.  BB will not win another GC with kicker choking with game on the line.  Last night Lions were in similar situation.  Time running out, similar FG distance, no problem for Whyte.  BB kicker situation has been problematic since Medlock left.  Since then 3 established kickers, Bede, Whyte & Castillo have changed teams.  Why couldn't BB snag one of those guys?  Management asleep?

Redblacks need a lot of help.  O'Shea has good connection with Lapo.  How about trading somebody to get Lewis Ward here?

Blue In BC

Quote from: guyinfla89 on August 14, 2022, 06:37:10 PM
Time for a change.  Pressure situation not an excuse.  There will be more pressure situations.  BB will not win another GC with kicker choking with game on the line.  Last night Lions were in similar situation.  Time running out, similar FG distance, no problem for Whyte.  BB kicker situation has been problematic since Medlock left.  Since then 3 established kickers, Bede, Whyte & Castillo have changed teams.  Why couldn't BB snag one of those guys?  Management asleep?

Redblacks need a lot of help.  O'Shea has good connection with Lapo.  How about trading somebody to get Lewis Ward here?

And there it is. The same suggestion to trade for Ward which was discussed in length previously. " Time for a change" comment?

Just a question here but will we hear any other posts from this newbie on any other subject?

Or is this new incarnation of our 2022 troll?

Sure as long as we're throwing out garbage ideas. Let's trade Collaros for Ward. In 2 games against the Als, he threw 3 pics, fumbled twice and got sacked 8 times. That's unacceptable. :)

2019 Grey Cup Champions