27 (39.1%)
Low - can't miss 2 in a row like that, put him on short leash
15 (21.7%)
Zero -Look for a new place kicker now
10 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 68

gordo

Quote from: Tee42 on August 13, 2022, 01:02:15 PM
The hold was messed up on the first kick. Benson snapped the ball off and Prucop had to reach. When leggs kicked the ball the timing was thrown off.  Benson was off all night snapping the ball all over the place. The overtime kick was unlucky it hit the post. Move on. The whole team played terrible. We needed to lose and it happened.  The team wanted this game over so they could get a by week.
So I listened to the post game show on my way home from the game.  They interviewed a number of Bombers including O'Shea.  None of them mentioned a bad hold.  Neither did Doug Brown who was clearly unhappy with Legg's performance but very diplomatic about it.  Neither did our new Bob Irving (forget his name).  So immediately post game there was no indication of any bad holds.

In today's Free Press there are 3 Bomber articles penned by 3 different sports writers, including one with a Leggs interview. All 3 comment on Leggs two missed kicks and there is absolutely no mention of bad or even slow holds.  Including by Leggio (granted he may not want to point the finger).

Maybe the holds weren't absolutely perfect.  But none of the media covering the Bombers, the coach or the kicker are mentioning it, unless I missed something.

Love the Bombers. We have the team to win a 3rd Grey Cup. And we have a great punter.  Just need a clutch place kicker.

"Although his punting has improved, Liegghio clearly can't be counted on to make the shot when it matters."  - Jeff Hamilton Free Press

Blue In BC

Quote from: gordo on August 13, 2022, 04:24:51 PM
So I listened to the post game show on my way home from the game.  They interviewed a number of Bombers including O'Shea.  None of them mentioned a bad hold.  Neither did Doug Brown who was clearly unhappy with Legg's performance but very diplomatic about it.  Neither did our new Bob Irving (forget his name).  So immediately post game there was no indication of any bad holds.

In today's Free Press there are 3 Bomber articles penned by 3 different sports writers, including one with a Leggs interview. All 3 comment on Leggs two missed kicks and there is absolutely no mention of bad or even slow holds.  Including by Leggio (granted he may not want to point the finger).

Maybe the holds weren't absolutely perfect.  But none of the media covering the Bombers, the coach or the kicker are mentioning it, unless I missed something.

Love the Bombers. We have the team to win a 3rd Grey Cup. And we have a great punter.  Just need a clutch place kicker.

? Although his punting has improved, Liegghio clearly can?t be counted on to make the shot when it matters.?  - Jeff Hamilton Free Press

I haven't re-watched the game yet.

Even with a bad hold, the kick usually travels further. I'm not sure if there was a bad hold but I think there might have been a timing issue. That caused a poor follow thru I suppose. That's the best I can figure out.

We've seen lots of missed converts, missed FG's and the odd tipped ball at LOS. I can't remember a miss quite like this one recently.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Waffler

? Although his punting has improved, Liegghio clearly can?t be counted on to make the shot when it matters.?  - Jeff Hamilton Free Press

Not saying the hold was so bad it was not recoverable enough for a VETERAN kicker to hammer it out the back of the end zone but I do agree it caused a hitch in the wind up. Perhaps doubt in Leggs mind. The kicker has to have iron clad confidence the ball is gonna be there on time. Maybe Leggs also needs to work on his focus but I will say what you want is consistency from all 3. Not seeing it.

https://youtu.be/7VOqhnEg5CA?t=466

Here's the play. Lucky Prukop has long arms. Telling to me is that Leggs looks at Prukop right away.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blue In BC

Quote from: Waffler on August 13, 2022, 04:39:51 PM
Not saying the hold was so bad it was not recoverable enough for a VETERAN kicker to hammer it out the back of the end zone but I do agree it caused a hitch in the wind up. Perhaps doubt in Leggs mind. The kicker has to have iron clad confidence the ball is gonna be there on time. Maybe Leggs also needs to work on his focus but I will say what you want is consistency from all 3. Not seeing it.

Good point. Most of the problem still falls on the kicker.  When we lined up to kick that seemed like a given that we'd score a single at the very least even on a bad kick.

He needs to learn from this game.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 13, 2022, 04:18:11 PM
And how do you propose we do that? We can't determine the outcome on the next play let alone what situation we might be during a playoff game. Add to that weather will also become a factor, wet cold and wind for a game probably played in Winnipeg.

It's no different than being in the position on offence needing to score with 1:30 left in our end on 3rd and 15.  Everybody has a role to achieve to avoid tenuous situations.

The best solution is for the rest of the team to wind up with a significant lead.

Agreed, nothing is ever guaranteed but if they play well enough during the game they can avoid having to rely on Leggs to pull a win out of the fire in the last minutes.  It is doable, for example they've played well enough this season to avoid this scenario up until their 10th game, 10 games away is the Grey Cup, if he self destructs in the playoffs in a similar fashion, he'll never hear the end of it.

The other option, is to relieve Leggs of F.G. and convert duties and only use him for punting and kickoffs, like they did last year.

TBURGESS

I can't believe I'm reading that 'argument' that if we'd played better then our kicker wouldn't have had to make a convert length kick.  ::)

We pay Leggz to make those kicks. He should be happy that he has a chance to make an 'easy' kick to win the game. Hero time. When he blew it, he should have been happy to get a 2nd chance to be the hero on another short kick. Neither were pressure kicks. Neither were long kicks. Neither were 'hard' kicks. They were kicks that should be almost automatic, but Leggz got a MUFF and a DOINK.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 13, 2022, 05:47:00 PM
I can't believe I'm reading that 'argument' that if we'd played better then our kicker wouldn't have had to make a convert length kick.  ::)

We pay Leggz to make those kicks. He should be happy that he has a chance to make an 'easy' kick to win the game. Hero time. When he blew it, he should have been happy to get a 2nd chance to be the hero on another short kick. Neither were pressure kicks. Neither were long kicks. Neither were 'hard' kicks. They were kicks that should be almost automatic, but Leggz got a MUFF and a DOINK.

That's not the point. There were several mistakes which put us in that position. Obviously if it comes down to a kick, then we expect that kicker to make that FG.

You're right that neither kick should have been difficult. The 1st one was shorter and a chance to avoid OT. Gotta make those.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 13, 2022, 05:47:00 PM

He really missed the game winner badly. He knocked the OT one off the post. Both misses for sure, but context is important. Yes, both kicks are easy. In theory, it also would have been easy to:

1) not line up offside
2) run the ball instead and avoid the risk of fumble on the fourth quarter drive
3) protect Zach better

GOLDMEMBER

"Although his punting has improved, Liegghio clearly can't be counted on to make the shot when it matters."  - Jeff Hamilton Free Press

key word being clutch! ;) :D
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TBURGESS

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 13, 2022, 07:48:33 PM
He really missed the game winner badly. He knocked the OT one off the post. Both misses for sure, but context is important. Yes, both kicks are easy. In theory, it also would have been easy to:

1) not line up offside
2) run the ball instead and avoid the risk of fumble on the fourth quarter drive
3) protect Zach better
None of those things mattered at the end. We still put ourselves in a position to win the game with an 'easy' FG.

If I were MOS, I'd have had Leggs wait until 5 seconds on the clock and call the timeout (IIRC we still had one). Then Leggz doesn't have to think about getting the ball off quickly, he can focus on simply kicking the FG when he wants to. Reduces any pressure that he may have felt.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

The Zipp

My concern is that if leggy misses one we have seen on multiple occasions he misses another...that is a dangerous pattern and one that will sink a kicker.  You have to be able to flush the bad one and make the next. 

Blue In BC

Quote from: The Zipp on August 13, 2022, 09:27:03 PM
My concern is that if leggy misses one we have seen on multiple occasions he misses another...that is a dangerous pattern and one that will sink a kicker.  You have to be able to flush the bad one and make the next. 

Sure but that's the same for every kicker. The more experienced the kicker is, the easier he can flush the miss. I know he missed a couple of other kicks but don't immediately recall distance or wind impact. But even with the 2 misses this week he's still in the top 3 or 4 in success rating. If the stats are correct he had connected on 19 / 21 before this week + 2 missed converts He was in a position to. So saying " multiple " is a bit overkill.

Two misses at a critical time can't be over looked either. He was in a reasonable position to win the game.  I don't think he gets a short leash but every missed kick will come under scrutiny.

If it was another Rider missing either of those, there would be a ton of fertilizer on his front yard. Even the best of them have missed critical kicks.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

The Zipp

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 13, 2022, 09:39:38 PM
Sure but that's the same for every kicker. The more experienced the kicker is, the easier he can flush the miss. I know he missed a couple of other kicks but don't immediately recall distance or wind impact. But even with the 2 misses this week he's still in the top 3 or 4 in success rating. If the stats are correct he had connected on 19 / 21 before this week + 2 missed converts He was in a position to. So saying " multiple " is a bit overkill.

Two misses at a critical time can't be over looked either. He was in a reasonable position to win the game.  I don't think he gets a short leash but every missed kick will come under scrutiny.

If it was another Rider missing either of those, there would be a ton of fertilizer on his front yard. Even the best of them have missed critical kicks.

And that directly corresponds with I think Dave Ritchie saying how young players can cost you a game...forget the exact phrase...Rutledge too with his penalty...growing pains and no kicker will be perfect...we won in TO cause Bede shanked one...

Inexperience = the greater chance of a loss. 

Still stinks as we had that game despite not playing well in the first half.

Jesse

Quote from: The Zipp on August 13, 2022, 09:27:03 PM

I was saying this post game as well. He really gets in his own head and I worry about him in high stress situations (like any kick in the play-offs).
My wife is amazing!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 13, 2022, 01:19:29 PM

Nope, nope and nope. Barring injury Liegghio will be our kicker all of 2022. We won't be trading for a kicker out of the play offs because of your perceived need for a " play off " quality kicker.

Liegghio has a better current success rate than Castillo at the moment BTW.
Quote from: Blue In BC on August 13, 2022, 02:41:50 PM
Geez. Step back from the ledge.
Agreex2

I voted high