Official Game Day Thread - Calgary at Winnipeg August 25, 2022

Started by ModAdmin, August 24, 2022, 03:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 27, 2022, 12:25:13 AM
You'd think we'd want a good blocker that had been playing most of the game, or even Miller to provide pass protection. I wonder what the thought was from Pierce to put him into the game in that situation?

I think it was to trick CGY into defending the pass... we ostensibly had no RB on the field.  Except McCrae is sort of our RB.  Harrison went to the other side to draw coverage.  CGY plays off the line a bit.  Then we throw the screen behind the line (Dunnigan was wrong) and the defenders are already too far up field.

If I'm right, it's brilliant.  When they set it up I was thinking "what are they doing!".  P.S. the pass to Harrison probably would have worked, too, right at the sticks.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Just a thought based on how well Maier played after BLM was benched: While it's always good to have experienced depth, does BLM now become trade bait? Ottawa, Hamilton and BC all have injured QB's.  An opportunity to dump SMS for a starting player elsewhere on the roster?

Stamps are high on Stevens as depth.

I can't see the Stamps trading within the West Division. OTOH, Ottawa and Hamilton may already be out of the play offs because of the crossover probability.

Can any other team afford to take on nearly half a season of BLM's contract. How many years are left on his current deal?

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 27, 2022, 03:56:50 PM
Just a thought based on how well Maier played after BLM was benched: While it's always good to have experienced depth, does BLM now become trade bait? Ottawa, Hamilton and BC all have injured QB's.  An opportunity to dump SMS for a starting player elsewhere on the roster?

Stamps are high on Stevens as depth.

I can't see the Stamps trading within the West Division. OTOH, Ottawa and Hamilton may already be out of the play offs because of the crossover probability.

Can any other team afford to take on nearly half a season of BLM's contract. How many years are left on his current deal?

He may squawk on the bench however I'm thinking they keep him down the stretch the way QBs are getting hurt these days.   Is there a better 1-2 QB combo in the league?    Perhaps at the end of the season or during the off season...but Hufnagel and Dickenson both know the value of what they have now.    I'd be very surprised if they trade him and of course several teams could use him and he's itching to get back on the field
Bomber fan for life

the.inkster

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 26, 2022, 09:56:51 PM
Like everyone said, it wasn't RTP.  Even Ridersfans say no RTP.  And TSN was just awful for replays all night.  They didn't give any useful angles on the RTP.  They also didn't show a useful angle on the Sceviour/Bighill holding at the end.  Just awful how bad TSN replays have been this year.

If no one else gets you a replay, I'll see if I can whip something up.  But vid clips are harder for me than stills...

Thanks for the offer, but don't worry about it.
Definitely some questionable calls during the game. Glad command center fixed the bad ball spot, though.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on August 27, 2022, 04:03:22 PM
He may squawk on the bench however I'm thinking they keep him down the stretch the way QBs are getting hurt these days.   Is there a better 1-2 QB combo in the league?    Perhaps at the end of the season or during the off season...but Hufnagel and Dickenson both know the value of what they have now.    I'd be very surprised if they trade him and of course several teams could use him and he's itching to get back on the field

I depends on how well he takes being benched. He's a high ego QB and may be a large distraction on the team. If that's a false narrative then yes it makes sense to retain him. QB's are dropping all over the league at the moment. So my thought was it's a bit of a sellers market at the moment.

His high SMS is going to be a disincentive to trade partners though. Maier might struggle in his next few days as well, so nothing is guaranteed.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Bo took a cut in pay before the season started so there would be money to JM12. I think BO knew his shoulder wasn't going to make it to the end of the season.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on August 27, 2022, 05:23:54 PM
Bo took a cut in pay before the season started so there would be money to JM12. I think BO knew his shoulder wasn't going to make it to the end of the season.

Bad shoulder or not, he's better than anybody in Hamilton or Ottawa. However as I mentioned even if the Stamps were interested in trading him, those two teams likely are out of the playoff race.

Both the Stamps and Riders have 3 more wins than the Ti Cats and 5 more than the Redblacks. The TiCats might have some hope in over taking the Als for 2nd place but it's a slim hope.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 27, 2022, 05:26:40 PM
Bad shoulder or not, he's better than anybody in Hamilton or Ottawa. However as I mentioned even if the Stamps were interested in trading him, those two teams likely are out of the playoff race.

Both the Stamps and Riders have 3 more wins than the Ti Cats and 5 more than the Redblacks. The TiCats might have some hope in over taking the Als for 2nd place but it's a slim hope.

I like the direction Shiltz is heading for Hamilton. He was having a pretty good game before he was injured.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

GOLDMEMBER

Just finally watching the game over again. The Jefferson RTP call was a disgusting call. Glad the Ref is game now for good. Total phantom the red me me me call. Take off man just take off Bradbury just go away!

Gauthier great effort sack late in the 4th
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Horseman

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on September 01, 2022, 02:15:11 AM
Just finally watching the game over again. The Jefferson RTP call was a disgusting call. Glad the Ref is game now for good. Total phantom the red me me me call. Take off man just take off Bradbury just go away!

Gauthier great effort sack late in the 4th

Was the ref Al Bradbury? if so he is from Wpg and a Winnipeg Police Officer.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Horseman on September 01, 2022, 02:37:52 AM
Was the ref Al Bradbury? if so he is from Wpg and a Winnipeg Police Officer.

Yes, Bradbury, and they said it was his final game.  He's doing some ref teaching or something now part-time.

My question is: Who the heck replaces him??  We were already pretty low on refs anyhow!  Kim is gone.  Valesi is gone (I think).  I'm not even sure we have 4 head ref capable guys now, unless Major is promoted to regular head ref now.  There must be a new guy lined up...
Never go full Rider!