Nathan Rourke: progress during 2022 - injury update

Started by Blue In BC, August 11, 2022, 10:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

I started this string for us to continue the conversation about his progress as the season continues. That avoids high jacking a different thread.

Note: Bombers last 2 regular season games are against the Lions. Very good chance we play them 3 times. Hopefully that's in the WDF in Winnipeg.

So good luck to Rourke except against the Bombers.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

The Zipp

He is certainly worthy of a discussion...If his performance continues like it has it will be an incredible start.  Trying to think back to Garcia's first year as starter...I don't think it was like this

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 11, 2022, 10:51:37 PM
Oops. I meant to start it in the offside forum. Maybe a mod can move it over there?

This is the BB and CFL forum. It's fine here.
My wife is amazing!

pjrocksmb

Great topic

He is good now

Lets see if he can make it great

bomb squad

With all due respect to the great season the Bombers are having, Nathan Rourke is hands down the story of the 2022 season in the CFL.

Blue In BC

Quote from: bomb squad on August 12, 2022, 05:36:46 AM
With all due respect to the great season the Bombers are having, Nathan Rourke is hands down the story of the 2022 season in the CFL.

Can't disagree with that thought. Even if he was an import QB, he's been exceptional.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

bluebeard

Quote from: bomb squad on August 12, 2022, 05:36:46 AM

Yes, and another thing to look forward to is that a younger brother "Rourke" playing QB in the college system in the states.  Could be in the CFL next season?

The Zipp

pjrocksmb

What a game today, not the best start but he bounces back!

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

BLUEBOMBER

He has shown that he learns from his mistakes and he is making big strides..  Definitely NFL material...

Lincoln Locomotive

Off the charts averaging over 360 YPG passing and a league leading 23 TD strikes in only 8 games!    Even if the Bombers were 10-0 and even at 9-1, Rourke has become the talk of the CFL.    He's on pace for 6000 + yard season!   I predict they will split their last two games against us.
Bomber fan for life

TBURGESS

Calgary make Rourke look like the young QB he is for a quarter. Then he went off on them for 488 yards passing, 2 passing and 2 rushing TD's. The kid is amazing.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

PurpleReign

I told you guys look out for Rourke at the start of the season. I am not surprised what he has done. This guy can play and nothing faces him when things go bad. He won?t be in the cfl for long unfortunately.

Stretch

Quote from: PurpleReign on August 14, 2022, 02:34:46 PM
He won?t be in the cfl for long unfortunately.

Also unfortunate if/when he goes to the NFL is that he'll likely be a clipboard holder.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

Blue In BC

Rourke throws for 488 yards and 75% completions. Several of his receivers actually dropped passes I thought they should have caught. YIKES

Gutsy too. 3rd and 2 and he throws a 40+ yard strike into at least double coverage. Right on the money.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

He gave up a pick 6, and the Lions gave up a special teams TD, yet they still beat the Stamps, at home, and they didn?t have Butler or their running game!!

We play them back to back to close the season out. Our playoffs start 2 weeks before everyone else?s and am hoping we can survive the 2 games vs the Lions and then the oncoming playoff games . That?s a lot of intense football when other teams will be resting their key players.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on August 14, 2022, 05:24:23 PM
He gave up a pick 6, and the Lions gave up a special teams TD, yet they still beat the Stamps, at home, and they didn?t have Butler or their running game!!

We play them back to back to close the season out. Our playoffs start 2 weeks before everyone else?s and am hoping we can survive the 2 games vs the Lions and then the oncoming playoff games . That?s a lot of intense football when other teams will be resting their key players.

You never know, but it's hard to see the Lions losing to any other teams other than the Bombers or Stamps at this point, if the Bombers want to hold on to first they can't afford to slip up and underperform like they did against the Als again.

The Zipp

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 14, 2022, 05:35:29 PM
You never know, but it's hard to see the Lions losing to any other teams other than the Bombers or Stamps at this point, if the Bombers want to hold on to first they can't afford to slip up and underperform like they did against the Als again.

I was expecting Rourke to slump about now...not sure if that is going to happen.  Riders do have a pretty good defence maybe they can get to him. 

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: The Zipp on August 14, 2022, 05:50:15 PM
I was expecting Rourke to slump about now...not sure if that is going to happen.  Riders do have a pretty good defence maybe they can get to him. 

LOL thanks for the Sunday humour, no matter how well the Rider D does, Fajardo won't be able to keep up.

dd

No way the Riders offense can trade punches with the Lions. When the stamps score the pick six, it didn?t even phase the lions, it?s like big deal, we re scoring 40 today. They are a scary team and the team for us to beat to get to the grey cup. I just hope we don?t burn out beating them only to exhaust ourselves for the GC, but that?s a looooong way off yet

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: dd on August 14, 2022, 07:28:07 PM
No way the Riders offense can trade punches with the Lions. When the stamps score the pick six, it didn?t even phase the lions, it?s like big deal, we re scoring 40 today. They are a scary team and the team for us to beat to get to the grey cup. I just hope we don?t burn out beating them only to exhaust ourselves for the GC, but that?s a looooong way off yet
I trust our D more than BCs. Zach I?d just as good if not better than Rourke at this point. WR and RBs are par. There place kicker is more consistent though. I like our coaching better to.

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: The Zipp on August 14, 2022, 05:50:15 PM

Accurate QBs, with his pocket awareness don't slump.

bluengold204

We already beat the lions once they do not scare me no matter how many times Rourke puts up 500 yard games against mediocre teams.

pjrocksmb

If Riders have the right schemes and win the turnover battle they could beat him (i won't bet on that though lol)

dd

Quote from: bluengold204 on August 14, 2022, 09:52:44 PM
We already beat the lions once they do not scare me no matter how many times Rourke puts up 500 yard games against mediocre teams.
We played a perfect game against them and Zack was lights out. If we aren?t hitting on all cylinders, like several games we ve played this year, we ll get it handed to us. BC has been the more consistent team by far this year. And you can trivialize putting up 500 yds against mediocre teams, but we just lost to one, and struggled against the lowly Elks.

PurpleReign

Quote from: Stretch on August 14, 2022, 04:59:00 PM
Also unfortunate if/when he goes to the NFL is that he'll likely be a clipboard holder.

Just like Flutie and Garcia  ;D

Throw Long Bannatyne

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: bluengold204 on August 14, 2022, 09:52:44 PM

If the Al's can beat you guys, than so can a better team like the Lion's.  They could still end up winning the west.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on August 15, 2022, 05:50:23 PM
If the Al's can beat you guys, than so can a better team like the Lion's.  They could still end up winning the west.

And yet, the Bombers mopped the floor with the Lions a month ago. In BC, no less.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on August 15, 2022, 05:50:23 PM

A reasonable argument could be made that the Lions are the best team in the CFL. In 2021 they ranked 7th in the final standings. Shows how quickly a team can rise or fall.

Regardless, part of this falls into which teams suffer which injuries at a given moment in time. Which team ranks where going into game 17 and 18 come into play.

Since we beat them once, if we win 1 of the final 2, that might be enough to change the rankings. It's an advantage at the moment. What it looks like at the end of the season we'll have to wait to see how it plays out.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 15, 2022, 05:57:48 PM
A reasonable argument could be made that the Lions are the best team in the CFL. In 2021 they ranked 7th in the final standings. Shows how quickly a team can rise or fall.

Regardless, part of this falls into which teams suffer which injuries at a given moment in time. Which team ranks where going into game 17 and 18 come into play.

Since we beat them once, if we win 1 of the final 2, that might be enough to change the rankings. It's an advantage at the moment. What it looks like at the end of the season we'll have to wait to see how it plays out.

Injuries late in the season might also determine who eventually comes in first and survives the W.F., luckily the Bombers two remaining byes will help in this regard but a season ending injury to any critical player could sidetrack either team's plans.  The Bombers have the better depth but an injury to Bighill, Jefferson, Collaros, Bryant or Hardrick  could put them in a serious bind.

The Zipp

BC Lions say the extent of the foot injury suffered by QB Nathan Rourke Friday in Sask requires further evaluation.  Stay tuned.

pjrocksmb

Does this injury likely put his NFL dreams for next year to bed or has he shown enough to get a sniff down their?

Blue In BC

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 20, 2022, 07:31:38 PM
Does this injury likely put his NFL dreams for next year to bed or has he shown enough to get a sniff down their?

Not really. He may be back playing before the end of the season. He may have shown up on some NFL teams radar anyway.

You never know what players might have real NFL interest or vice versa. In the case of QB's there are probably a dozen or more hot NFL draft prospects coming into the 2023 draft. Even more choices in 2nd and 3rd level choices.

NFL interest can be partially guaged by signing bonus and guaranteed money.

Look how quickly D. Dedmon has returned to Ottawa after being released in the 1st round of cuts.  Obviously he's not a QB but was a highly regarded returner and didn't last very long.

Anyway. Too bad for Rourke in the short term. He's Mr. Entertainment and league needs players like that. The fact he's a Canadian is just an added bonus.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

Ya Desmond getting cut that quick surprised me, but good for Ottawa , as they need all the help they can get and last season he was their only bright light, and likely will do the same now

Blue In BC

Still nothing new about Rourke here in Vancouver aside from he's going to miss some time. So that's some sort of injury rather than just a pain issue from being stepped on for example. There are so many possibilities for foot injuries.

We should hear something by Tuesday latest I suspect but possibly as early as tomorrow.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on August 21, 2022, 04:52:52 AM
Ya Desmond getting cut that quick surprised me, but good for Ottawa , as they need all the help they can get and last season he was their only bright light, and likely will do the same now

DeVonte Dedmon

The Zipp

Terrible news

Nathan Rourke will undergo surgery for a Lisfranc sprain in his right foot. We are hopeful that rehab will leave the door open for a late-season return. Speedy recovery, Nathan

From internet:

Lisfranc injury can be quite serious and require months to heal. For those experiencing strains or sprains, recovery could take six to eight weeks. For those needing surgery, recovery will likely take three to five months.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: The Zipp on August 21, 2022, 08:07:14 PM
Terrible news

Nathan Rourke will undergo surgery for a Lisfranc sprain in his right foot. We are hopeful that rehab will leave the door open for a late-season return. Speedy recovery, Nathan

From internet:

Lisfranc injury can be quite serious and require months to heal. For those experiencing strains or sprains, recovery could take six to eight weeks. For those needing surgery, recovery will likely take three to five months.

The Bombers just wrapped up first place, time to fine tune and get healthy for the West Final.

The Zipp

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 21, 2022, 08:16:53 PM
The Bombers just wrapped up first place, time to fine tune and get healthy for the West Final.

Don't do that...

Ducky

Terrible news

From internet:

Agreed.  Bad for the CFL game.  He was having an amazing season.

Blue In BC

Horrible news. He'll be undergoing surgery soon.

Could be a season ending injury. According to a google search

"No weight bearing is allowed for 6-8 weeks after surgery. A walking cast or boot is then used for another 4-6 weeks. If pins were used to hold the fourth and fifth metatarsals in place, they are removed 6-8 weeks after surgery. Patients usually are able to wean out of the boot and into an athletic shoe in 10-12 weeks."

Brutal....

Full recovery from the surgery can take more than a year. This should at least squelch talk of Rourke leaving for the NFL next year.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

Terrible news

From internet:

That is awful news, hope he has a speedy and healthy recovery. He was having a season of the ages for sure.

His injury draws attention to a disturbing trend in starting Qb?s getting injured. Masoli, BLM, Rourke, Adams, Evans and Fajardo have been injured this season. Our main goal from here on in should be to keep Collaros healthy as if he gets injured, we re done.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on August 21, 2022, 08:33:55 PM
That is awful news, hope he has a speedy and healthy recovery. He was having a season of the ages for sure.

His injury draws attention to a disturbing trend in starting Qb?s getting injured. Masoli, BLM, Rourke, Adams, Evans and Fajardo have been injured this season. Our main goal from here on in should be to keep Collaros healthy as if he gets injured, we re done.

Yep, but got to get Brown a decent amount of playing time, they have the luxury of doing so in the second half of the season.  Not to better prepare him is foolish and risking everything on one players health.

Waffler

Never heard of the lisfranc before but it looks painful after googling. I know someone with a crush injury on their foot and it can be worse than breaking a bone. Soft tissue takes a long time to heal there.  I feel for the guy.

Bombers really need to get the other 2 QB's on the field so at least we know what have if need be.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Tiger

Terrible news

From internet:

Brutal.  Hope this does not affect him long term.  Hopefully he can do a Joe Burrow.
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

BlueInCgy

This sucks for all involved.  Hopes for a speedy recovery for Nathan.

The CFL is a better place when the level of competition is high.

Lincoln Locomotive

Terrible news....I hope his recovery is 100% and he comes back with guns blazing....that might not happen this year from what I've been reading about this injury.....especially where surgery is involved!    At the current pace he was on he was the odds on favourite to receive the MOP award and that's no disrespect to Zach.   This "kid" has it going on and he was hotter than a firecracker and getting better!   
Bomber fan for life

dd

If I m the Lions I am on the phone to mike Reilly?s agent to see if he?s interested in coming out of retirement for a legitimate cup run. No harm in the call and they have a much better line and team than a year ago. And if I?m mike Reilly, I d get back on the field and take a final run at the cup

BLUEBOMBER

Rourke was good for the CFL.  This is bad for the CFL and Lions franchise.  They were starting to turn things around and you can see some excitement start to build in the BC Lions fanbase.

The Zipp

Quote from: dd on August 21, 2022, 11:33:47 PM
If I m the Lions I am on the phone to mike Reilly?s agent to see if he?s interested in coming out of retirement for a legitimate cup run. No harm in the call and they have a much better line and team than a year ago. And if I?m mike Reilly, I d get back on the field and take a final run at the cup

He was looking pretty old last season..o-line is better, some time off, better receivers...Calgary likely wouldn't unload Bo...arbuckle?

Roll with O'Connor and pipkin?

Waffler

Quote from: The Zipp on August 21, 2022, 11:47:35 PM
He was looking pretty old last season..o-line is better, some time off, better receivers...Calgary likely wouldn't unload Bo...arbuckle?

Zero chance they trade in the division. Although a 3 way trade is always possible. We got Zach not from Sask but from TO although it was the same year. This would be a blockbuster almost beyond comprehension though.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

dd

Quote from: The Zipp on August 21, 2022, 11:47:35 PM

You can roll the dice with pipkin and O?Connor, but I don?t think the lions beat us or even the Stamps or riders with them. Guess we ll find out this weekend. If they can?t beat the riders, forget beating us. I mean thinking Reilly would be slobbering with that receiving corps and running game they have now.

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: dd on August 22, 2022, 12:01:08 AM
You can roll the dice with pipkin and O?Connor, but I don?t think the lions beat us or even the Stamps or riders with them. Guess we ll find out this weekend. If they can?t beat the riders, forget beating us. I mean thinking Reilly would be slobbering with that receiving corps and running game they have now.

I think O'Connor will surprise people.  Maybe not Rourke like numbers, but with a good pass blocking Oline and a great recieving corps, he should have success.  No need to keep recycling QBs.

Blue72

The problem with bringing in a IMP QB is you will have to bench an IMP somewhere because your replacing a Nat QB/player. Plus whoever you bring in will cost them in the salary cap as Rourke wasn't making that much and if Reilly comes back it wouldn't be cheap.

jdrattops

This is a tough one for the league, Canadian phenom QB bringing back the spirit of the CFL not only in BC but also around the league.  I hope for a speedy recovery but feel it is next year time for Rourke.

GOLDMEMBER

Thanks for the info on the injury extent. Sounds like he is done this year. A pity for sure.

The path is as clear as is could get for big Blue now.

Look forward to him being back on the field slinging the pig skin.

BLUEBOMBER

Bad news for the Lions but this is great news for Winnipeg.  The only competition to winning the West division this year was from B.C.  With Rourke gone for the season and playoffs, as long as the Bombers don't screw things up on the kicking game, we are good.  I do hope we can find a solid kicker though.  I have little confidence in Legghio.  Either get us a new kicker or a new Special teams coordinator. 

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: BLUEBOMBER on August 22, 2022, 07:05:21 AM
Bad news for the Lions but this is great news for Winnipeg.  The only competition to winning the West division this year was from B.C.  With Rourke gone for the season and playoffs, as long as the Bombers don't screw things up on the kicking game, we are good.  I do hope we can find a solid kicker though.  I have little confidence in Legghio.  Either get us a new kicker or a new Special teams coordinator. 
I wouldn't count out the Stamps as viable contenders.   All there losses could have gone either way and they played us hard and could have won that game.    I once again predict another tightly contested battle with the winner likely having last possession of the ball....
Bomber fan for life

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Waffler on August 21, 2022, 09:42:40 PM
Never heard of the lisfranc before but it looks painful after googling. I know someone with a crush injury on their foot and it can be worse than breaking a bone. Soft tissue takes a long time to heal there.  I feel for the guy.

Bombers really need to get the other 2 QB's on the field so at least we know what have if need be.

Travis Etienne, Jags running back, suffered a lisfranc sprain last year in pre-season (during his rookie season). He is apparently 100% healthy now but it took him almost a 9 months to get fully back.

theaardvark

As to QB movement in the league... no team "sells" a quality QB, ever.  If they have depth at QB, it is because they signed players they like, who are playing at or above expectation. 

If you have a Prokup, or an Arbuckle, or a Pipkin, its because they can play at a known level for a known price.

When you get a Maier that shows up, and you have an aging BLM, no way you are going to trade him.  Or a Brown.

No team is eliminated from the playoffs yet, and none likely to be before the trade deadline, so rent a QB's are not going to be a thing this year.

So, that leaves scouting for gems in NFL cuts or players passed over by NFL scouts.   And good luck with that one.  Every year or two the entire CFL scouting network finds one, maybe two such unicorns. 

And before anyone mentions Streveler, I love the guy, but he's not taking a team on his back to the playoffs, or beyond.  He is a great complimentary piece, especially with the new 2 QB rule, but no.

BC will have to ride Pipkin and O'Conner, making the necessary ratio adjustments.  Had Caleb Evans shown up last game, maybe you can get Arbuckle, but I don't think that's an option.  And CGY is not trading anyone to BC, even Tommy Stevens. 

Tough break (or sprain) for BC, but it happens.  At least it didn't happen in the WF and you had to go into the GC with a QB making his first CFL start. 

Maybe there were some USFL or QB's from Europe out there...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

The Zipp

Fwiw - Rourke tells me he is going to make every effort to play again this year. Says he?s been told by specialists that there have been some athletes that have recovered in less than 2 months from more severe Lisfranc injuries. Surgery likely to take place on Fri in Van. @CFL

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on August 22, 2022, 10:52:24 PM
Fwiw - Rourke tells me he is going to make every effort to play again this year. Says he?s been told by specialists that there have been some athletes that have recovered in less than 2 months from more severe Lisfranc injuries. Surgery likely to take place on Fri in Van. @CFL

WPG@BC is 7 weeks from Rourke surgery.  BC@WPG Is 9 weeks.  It would seem impossible for him to be starting vs us even if he manages to recover quickly (needs to ease back in).  Gauche or not, the ones saying this helps us are right.  No one wished for it (bad karma) but it is what it is.  No reason to shy away from changing our rest-of-season gameplan and recalculating our odds.

The week 21 game won't matter anyhow as we should have #1 clinched by then.

Quote from: Blue72 on August 22, 2022, 12:28:20 AM
The problem with bringing in a IMP QB is you will have to bench an IMP somewhere because your replacing a Nat QB/player. Plus whoever you bring in will cost them in the salary cap as Rourke wasn't making that much and if Reilly comes back it wouldn't be cheap.

Blue72 for the win.  Yes, unless O'Connor lights it up (can they have 2 NAT phenom QBs??) BC will have to bring in an IMP and that means sit an IMP OL or a WR.  You guys who tout the BC OL, you know why they are so great... they are "cheating" with 3 IMPs.  They gain that cheat-code by having the NAT QB.  They have to play this cheat-code because they don't have enough NAT OL talent.  It's kind of like what we did with Bond for a few years.

They only start 1 NAT WR.  They may have to start Peterman too, and sit Hatcher.  Then they have no NAT WR depth, though.  Hatcher was good earlier in the season but has been mostly ignored by Rourke lately (as has Cottoy).

In any event, starting an IMP QB means not only are they vastly weaker at QB, but they are also weaker at either OL or WR (or maybe D, but I doubt they choose that option).

Finally, BC's roster didn't change too much vs last season.  Rourke was the final piece in the puzzle for them, and I would argue he's basically the reason they are winning.  The WR corps is mostly the same as with Reilly, but look how much better they perform with Rourke!!  Yes, BC is very much a QB-based team now, and losing their superstar is going to hurt them greatly.

Seeing how they fare vs SSK in a few days will hint at the fate of BC.
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

No way he plays another game this year based on the Travis Eitienne recovery time. They are about the same age as well.

Pigskin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 23, 2022, 05:01:14 AM
WPG@BC is 7 weeks from Rourke surgery.  BC@WPG Is 9 weeks.  It would seem impossible for him to be starting vs us even if he manages to recover quickly (needs to ease back in).  Gauche or not, the ones saying this helps us are right.  No one wished for it (bad karma) but it is what it is.  No reason to shy away from changing our rest-of-season gameplan and recalculating our odds.

The week 21 game won't matter anyhow as we should have #1 clinched by then.

Blue72 for the win.  Yes, unless O'Connor lights it up (can they have 2 NAT phenom QBs??) BC will have to bring in an IMP and that means sit an IMP OL or a WR.  You guys who tout the BC OL, you know why they are so great... they are "cheating" with 3 IMPs.  They gain that cheat-code by having the NAT QB.  They have to play this cheat-code because they don't have enough NAT OL talent.  It's kind of like what we did with Bond for a few years.

They only start 1 NAT WR.  They may have to start Peterman too, and sit Hatcher.  Then they have no NAT WR depth, though.  Hatcher was good earlier in the season but has been mostly ignored by Rourke lately (as has Cottoy).

In any event, starting an IMP QB means not only are they vastly weaker at QB, but they are also weaker at either OL or WR (or maybe D, but I doubt they choose that option).

Finally, BC's roster didn't change too much vs last season.  Rourke was the final piece in the puzzle for them, and I would argue he's basically the reason they are winning.  The WR corps is mostly the same as with Reilly, but look how much better they perform with Rourke!!  Yes, BC is very much a QB-based team now, and losing their superstar is going to hurt them greatly.

Seeing how they fare vs SSK in a few days will hint at the fate of BC.

So if you have 3 IMP on your OL your cheating?? First time I have heard this. lol
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Stats Junkie

I don't think the Lions will be QB shopping at this point.

They were very high on 2nd year QB Kevin Thomson who seemed to be on track to claim the QB2 spot until he suffered an injury in the preseason. Thomson came off the 6 game list a couple of weeks ago and has been on the 1 game injured list. He will be the next man up, possibly as QB2.

Antonio Pipkin was airlifted in when Thomson got injured and could remain as QB3 doing short yardage & specialty packages.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Stats Junkie on August 23, 2022, 01:50:46 PM
I don't think the Lions will be QB shopping at this point.

They were very high on 2nd year QB Kevin Thomson who seemed to be on track to claim the QB2 spot until he suffered an injury in the preseason. Thomson came off the 6 game list a couple of weeks ago and has been on the 1 game injured list. He will be the next man up, possibly as QB2.

Antonio Pipkin was airlifted in when Thomson got injured and could remain as QB3 doing short yardage & specialty packages.

Their really is no QB from another team that help the Lion's.  This is why you have second and third stringers, is to take over when QB1 goes down.

TBURGESS

I'm really interested in how BC plays without Rourke. Are they still contenders, down with the Riders or out of it all together.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 23, 2022, 06:12:26 PM
I'm really interested in how BC plays without Rourke. Are they still contenders, down with the Riders or out of it all together.

We're all waiting to see how this pans out for the Lions. At the moment they are 1 win from a tie for 1st place. Bombers have the advantage at the moment. Lions could finish anywhere from 1st to 3rd IMO. Stamps and Riders have a lot of ground to make up and even with any injury to Rourke, I don't see all that ground being made up.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 23, 2022, 06:23:40 PM
We're all waiting to see how this pans out for the Lions. At the moment they are 1 win from a tie for 1st place. Bombers have the advantage at the moment. Lions could finish anywhere from 1st to 3rd IMO. Stamps and Riders have a lot of ground to make up and even with any injury to Rourke, I don't see all that ground being made up.
this wraps it up to this point nicely^

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 23, 2022, 06:23:40 PM

If we beat the Stamps on Thursday it put them in a big hole to finish in 2nd. place. The Riders have a lot of problems right now. And it not there D.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on August 23, 2022, 01:46:06 PM
So if you have 3 IMP on your OL your cheating?? First time I have heard this. lol

I said "cheating", with quotes, as in tongue-in-cheek.  3 IMP OL is definitely an advantage, kind of like "ratio breakers" like AH, or Muamba.  Top-quality NATs in a usually-IMP position.

AFAIK BC is the only team this year with 3 IMP OL.  They have no choice because they've not been wise with their OL DPs and retention.  If BC goes NAT at both guards, then their O production will go down drastically on top of the loss of Rourke.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 23, 2022, 10:59:41 PM
I said "cheating", with quotes, as in tongue-in-cheek.  3 IMP OL is definitely an advantage, kind of like "ratio breakers" like AH, or Muamba.  Top-quality NATs in a usually-IMP position.

AFAIK BC is the only team this year with 3 IMP OL.  They have no choice because they've not been wise with their OL DPs and retention.  If BC goes NAT at both guards, then their O production will go down drastically on top of the loss of Rourke.

Actually BC lost David Knevel a 6'8", 325 (N) OL is on the 6 game. He played in all 14 games for the Lions last year. They have to young (N) OL's in Tyler Packer 6'6" 315 on the PR and Noah Zerr 6'7" 330. So there draft picks haven't been that bad.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 22, 2022, 12:40:43 PM
Travis Etienne, Jags running back, suffered a lisfranc sprain last year in pre-season (during his rookie season). He is apparently 100% healthy now but it took him almost a 9 months to get fully back.

Hope he's not related to Jade Etienne! What a bust of a first rounder he turned out to be! ;)

The Zipp

rumblings Vernon Adams is heading to BC...thinking Rourke will not be back this season..

Jesse

Quote from: The Zipp on August 31, 2022, 12:50:07 PM
rumblings Vernon Adams is heading to BC...thinking Rourke will not be back this season..

lol, apparently he would have been traded long ago if Stern wasn't blocking the trade.

I hate when owners get involved, but what is Danny thinking?
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

bwiser

The Lions are going to continue to be a force to be reckoned with. Adams is no Rourke but he is a pretty good QB who will keep BC competitive.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: bwiser on August 31, 2022, 02:12:47 PM
The Lions are going to continue to be a force to be reckoned with. Adams is no Rourke but he is a pretty good QB who will keep BC competitive.

With that receiving corps in BC, Adams should be able to do some serious damage once he settles in to that system.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on August 31, 2022, 02:33:27 PM
With that receiving corps in BC, Adams should be able to do some serious damage once he settles in to that system.

Adams will definitely help them for the rest of the season.

And next year if Adams decides to stay with the Leos (on a lower $), that would be a vey good QB-combo.

But I think VA will be an Elks next year. Leos will get a first rounder back which will be higher than their original.

Waffler

HUGE!! 3 team league once more. If he gets hot at the right time... look out.

Last BC game they said no weight on the foot for 6 - 8 weeks for Rourke.  It was a pipe dream to think that he could be back anywhere close to 100% this year. Good for BC to make this move. MTL just dumping salary?

3rdand1.5

Too bad selfishly for the Bombers , but good for BC as mentioned by others I think BC could be competitive with Adams as long as his arm is actually healed!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Waffler on August 31, 2022, 02:54:11 PM
HUGE!! 3 team league once more. If he gets hot at the right time... look out.

Last BC game they said no weight on the foot for 6 - 8 weeks for Rourke.  It was a pipe dream to think that he could be back anywhere close to 100% this year. Good for BC to make this move. MTL just dumping salary?

The Als will make the playoffs this season but Trevor Harris has always been pretty fragile, they may be risking their playoff run by getting rid of Adams now, 'cause next up is Dom Davis.  Good move for the Lions, Adams will keep them ahead of the Riders for the 3rd playoff spot in the West.

theaardvark

Wow... Machiocha doesn't realize tanking for the first overall doesn't work in the CFL, right?  All it does is gets you finished earlier... oh, well... there's that.  PLaters get game cheques for post season, does management?

VA3 (not VAJ as I've seen some refer to him as) is a solid player, and with the targets he now has in BC, it will be interesting. CGY might give up ts #2 ranking sooner than later.

Edm still misses the playoffs...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on August 31, 2022, 03:29:17 PM
Wow... Machiocha doesn't realize tanking for the first overall doesn't work in the CFL, right?  All it does is gets you finished earlier... oh, well... there's that.  PLaters get game cheques for post season, does management?

VA3 (not VAJ as I've seen some refer to him as) is a solid player, and with the targets he now has in BC, it will be interesting. CGY might give up ts #2 ranking sooner than later.

In retrospect I think the estate of Sid Spiegel was anxious to rid themselves of their biggest and most wasteful salary obligation.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 31, 2022, 04:18:11 PM
In retrospect I think the estate of Sid Spiegel was anxious to rid themselves of their biggest and most wasteful salary obligation.

I wonder if this has any additional impact on the Lions SMS. He's obviously getting more that the two Canadian QB's. The bigger question is what impact does it have on their ratio moving towards an import starting at QB?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_or_die

He is consistently referred to as "Vernon Adams Jr."

Therefore, VAJ.
#Ride?

Sir Blue and Gold

GOLDMEMBER

TecnoGenius

VA3 (not VAJ as I've seen some refer to him as)

VAJ is completely legit, as that's his initials.  Milt has called him that several times on air on TSN.  He makes sure he uses a "soft" J.  I like to say it with a hard J.  It's ok, it's not our QB, and it's his name so we're not breaking the rules!!

:D :D :D ;D ;D ;D
Never go full Rider!