Drew Desjarlais and other CFL'ers in the NFL

Started by Blue In BC, August 11, 2022, 10:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: The Zipp on August 23, 2022, 07:24:56 PM
The kicking competition has ended - at least for now. #DallasCowboys cut Lirim Hajrallahu among five roster moves Tuesday to get down to 80 players.

That's a bit surprising. I wonder if he's interested in returning to the CFL. I don't want to rock the boat with Liegghio and Lirm H could be an expensive roster addition.

All that said, it never hurts to see what his agent has to say. Not likely he accepts a CFL PR spot but I'd trade him for Mourtada if he's accept.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

So who would you rather have Desjarlais or Lirim. Because if Desjarlais becomes an FA, we need to throw some money at him.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on August 23, 2022, 08:15:14 PM
So who would you rather have Desjarlais or Lirim. Because if Desjarlais becomes an FA, we need to throw some money at him.

Desjarlais without a doubt. But we don't know he'll be released or interested in returning to Winnipeg. He has more of a chance to catching on somewhere as a younger player.

Kongbo would be my next choice if all were actually available.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

The Zipp

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 23, 2022, 09:52:34 PM
Desjarlais without a doubt. But we don't know he'll be released or interested in returning to Winnipeg. He has more of a chance to catching on somewhere as a younger player.

Agree.  O line has been a bigger liability and presents a higher risk to Zach

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 23, 2022, 09:52:34 PM

After watching the New England game the other night, I say he could be back before the end of the season.

Blue In BC

Quote from: The Zipp on August 23, 2022, 10:19:14 PM
Agree.  O line has been a bigger liability and presents a higher risk to Zach

It's always a question of timing as well. Player A is available today and Player B is not yet available. Do you wait and potentially lose an opportunity for Player A?

Never an easy question. Would Lirim H. add valuable depth and be able to take on some of the kicking duties like Kick off or punting? Which is the better at which role?

Like I suggested, it would be worth a call to his agent since he's potentially available now. Many teams roster 2 kickers and since he's a Canadian that's an easy option.

SMS is entirely a different question as a risk / reward response.

Bombers may have a good idea whether Desjarlais or Kongbo will become available and where their interest in returning to the CFL lies.

Desjarlais would be the top choice as discussed. He'd be the most expensive of the 3 mentioned but I'd think we'd find a way to afford him.

Tomorrow is another day and NFL teams trim 5 more players. Who knows who will fall into free agency.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on August 23, 2022, 10:46:53 PM
After watching the New England game the other night, I say he could be back before the end of the season.

Interesting. I haven't watched much or all of their games. He may be released in this next group tomorrow. Even that doesn't mean he doesn't try to land with another team.

No idea what his thoughts will be if he's released. He may choose the 1 year deal to play out the year in the CFL and try NFL again in 2023.

While I wish him success in the NFL, I'd like to see him back in Winnipeg.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Just checking ou that Jets Falcon game now.
Alford 37
Nice tackle to force a non 3rd down conversation in the second quarter.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

bunker

Quote from: Pigskin on August 23, 2022, 10:46:53 PM
https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/news/new-england-roster-projection-preseason-training-camp-mac-jones-bill-belichick
This article says he won't make the 53 man roster, and that someone is likely ahead of him for the practice roster. He could still try and catch on with another NFL team for while though.

GOLDMEMBER

Streveler looked way better than That guy named White. That guy looked useless.
Runs head first. Oh Strevy!
He is throwing the ball well.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on August 23, 2022, 05:32:30 PM
NFL still plays four preseason games.

Nope, that changed last season when they moved to a 17 game regular season.

Blue In BC

Did Desjarlais play against the Raiders? I'm watching Q4 od the game now and don't see him playing?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

PurpleReign

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 27, 2022, 06:23:44 PM
Did Desjarlais play against the Raiders? I'm watching Q4 od the game now and don't see him playing?

Not sure but every report I have seen is that he will be cut. Possible practice roster player but I think he will  be gone from NE. Maybe he gets picked up by another team.

Pigskin

Doesn't sound like Kongbo is making Denver's 53 man roster. Sounds like they can carry 16 on the PR, including 6 vets.

The Zipp

Quote from: PurpleReign on August 28, 2022, 12:18:28 AM
Not sure but every report I have seen is that he will be cut. Possible practice roster player but I think he will  be gone from NE. Maybe he gets picked up by another team.

Sounds like the Bucs are losing o linemen on a regular basis