Blue Bombers Forum
October 05, 2022, 07:23:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Game Day Thread - Montreal at Winnipeg August 11, 2022  (Read 4439 times)
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #180 on: August 12, 2022, 09:25:36 PM »

We have a very good team.  Yes, we had a little let down.  Lets leave it at that.  There are lots of teams that wish they had our win loss record. Smiley
Agree

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #181 on: August 12, 2022, 10:29:18 PM »

We went into last night's game and fell into the classic last game before the bye against a weak opponent trap game. Nothing more to see here. Guys had their heads wrapped around their travel arrangements and plans for the bye and took the Als lightly.
It's human nature after 10 straight weeks grinding. The game last night told us nothing about our team except that we really needed a break.
I tend to agree hear!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
bomb squad

« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2022, 10:50:38 PM »

Legghio did flash a look at the holder after his miss. It looked to me like the holder kind of let his off hand hang behind the ball instead of clearing it out of the way. Not an excuse for Legghio, but it may have distracted him.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2022, 11:28:00 PM »

Legghio did flash a look at the holder after his miss. It looked to me like the holder kind of let his off hand hang behind the ball instead of clearing it out of the way. Not an excuse for Legghio, but it may have distracted him.
With the enormous pressure riding on the kick with 31K fans anticipating the win before the kick.....with the bye week coming.....with the 10-0 record hanging in the balance....with the first team to 400 wins record on the line....yah, that's a lot to tune out for a sophomore kicker.    Not making excuses for him but that's the reality for holder and kicker.  The slightest deviation from the normal mechanical routines might throw off even a Justin Medlock.    He and the team just need to flush it and forget it.   The Stamps are coming and they felt like they should have won the last game with the Bombers.   

Happy to be able to watch a rematch of the 2019 game in Hamilton's back yard!
55StickCar

« Reply #184 on: August 12, 2022, 11:38:51 PM »

From what I could see the holders hand may not have been clear and the ball touched and deflected it.
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #185 on: August 13, 2022, 12:49:33 AM »

From what I could see the holders hand may not have been clear and the ball touched and deflected it.
Interesting

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
TecnoGenius

« Reply #186 on: August 13, 2022, 03:33:28 AM »

Interesting O'Shea said he never considered {punting}.

I don't think I've seen any CFL  team try to punt for a single to win from the 25 in a walk-off situation.  It's simply not done.  And you don't need to because a) (in the past) PKers were 95% from the 25(32) and b) when you do miss, you invariably get the single by kicking deep or tackling the returner in EZ.

Can anyone remember a team punting vs FG in this situation?  I'm not talking "hook and ladder" stuff.  Just straight up 25YL 3rd down end of game situations.

It is a fascinating idea though and WFC should investigate if there's an advantage.  Others have pointed out a punt is easier (less moving pieces), less often blocked, etc.  Probably less stress, too.  And you can't blame a holder.  Have to do an assessment of LS overthrows on punts vs FGs though.  An overthrow would ruin your day.

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #187 on: August 13, 2022, 03:42:58 AM »

Your understanding of a team game and need to put it all on our kicker, is interesting.

I am not putting it all on the kicker.  I am putting it on the things that are 99% avoidable if people are applying their brains (players and coaches).  That's why I single out:
1) Leggs & Biff's friend: could have put the welly on that regulation time FG getting us 1 point out the back or near the back where our coverage could make an EZ tackle for 1.
2) Rutledge: first Bomber to take that penalty in ages.  I think we've done that now twice in 7 years.  MOS says every time that is the one penalty that is inexcusable (on the coach's show).

I don't care Leggs missed the FG.  In fact, it's Leggs so we know maybe 60/40 chance he makes one from 32.  I care no one bothered to tell him to hoof it like there was no tomorrow.  He's not putting juice on that thing at all, look at his swing.  Botching the "save your bacon" 1 pointer is what is inexcusable.  Add the cover team to that because except more maybe 1 guy, no one was sprinting to the EZ to make the stop.  Did no one coach the line to get their butts to the EZ to make the stop in-goal?  It's a complete breakdown on ST.  A comedy of errors.

But since it's Leggs' leg, he gets to take most of the heat.

The angles on TSN were bad.  The one promising one had an Al in the way at the critical time.  I have no idea how you would determine this.  If it was mostly Prukop's fault, the dude should have come out after the game and said so as the stand up thing to take the heat off Leggs.  The holds looked fine to me the whole night, but I will rewatch and look more closely.

Never go full Rider!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #188 on: August 13, 2022, 03:47:23 AM »

I doubt it, laws of physics suggests the amount of force exerted on the ball by the kicker would visibly knock the hand of the holder out of the way and cause the ball to tumble. It's flight was more like a wounded duck.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #189 on: August 13, 2022, 03:48:55 AM »

Agree. Gray took two penalties should we be sitting him also.

Haha, you're not understanding my issue.  It's not that Rutledge took a penalty, it's that he took a completely avoidable penalty  that MOS has singled out many times as the worst sin.  One that our guys have managed to avoid in countless similar situations.

Remember, Rutledge is new with us this season.  He might not yet know how egregious this penalty is to the Dark Side.  Oh you can bet his fellow D-mates are livid.  Biggie must be apoplectic.

Gray taking IPs a few times is nothing in comparison as WPG gets IP calls 1-3 times a game every game.  And you can never say that cost the game.  Taking a "finger O/S" on your 3rd GL stand that you succeed at and get a TO is a whole new level of frustrating.

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #190 on: August 13, 2022, 03:57:45 AM »

Other than Liegghio, do you think there is a player on the team that feels worse than Rutledge right now?  You think there is more punishment that you can dole out than letting him think about that finger for the next two weeks?  If anything, his next game (which you would like to sit him from) will be his best, as he tries to atone.

Just a stupid idea, sorry.

If there's no punishment, then there is no message sent that you don't make that mistake in MOS's WFC.  Sure, you have the team-mate pressure, but I think the message needs to be hit home again in that locker room by a coach/coordinator.  You're not doing it so much to show Rutledge as to re-demonstrate to the whole team (especially any first-year guys) that we don't take that penalty.

Do I really think MOS will bench him for 1 game?  Meh, maybe not, especially against CGY, and since we don't really have a NAT that can take that spot nor enough DBs to go around.  But heaven help 38 if he ever does that again...

Hey, how about we pioneer an "off-side guardian": designate the last (or 2nd last) outside DB as someone who watches the line before the snap and shouts to anyone with a finger over.  Might need 2, one on each end, to overcome the IGF noise.  Or a buddy system, each guy checks the guy on his right and gives him an elbow if he's over.

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #191 on: August 13, 2022, 04:02:45 AM »

Prokop held week one and promptly went on the 6 game injury list. We missed a kick in that game where the hold seemed to go down in slow motion also. I don't know if Leggs likes him but on tv he does not look efficient in getting the ball set and waiting. The good string of kicks happened with Prokop out.

Interesting theory.  I have not watched the holder closely so I can't speak to it.  BUT, back when we had picky Medlock, he would regularly "can" his holder and request a new one.  He always said he was very sensitive to the holder.  He changed them a few times, and not always due to injury, either.

So if Leggs isn't "feeling it" with Prukop, then Leggs and Biff's Friend and MOS should all talk and figure it out.  Like switch back to Brown (or whoever it was before) if you're on to something.  Leggs might think he's not "senior" enough to broach such subject, so I would hope the coaches would bring this up.

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #192 on: August 13, 2022, 04:22:39 AM »

Was it the female official that threw the goal line flag?  She was one of the line judges, no?  Not saying it was because she's a woman... just wondering if there is extra scrutiny...

This time it was not.  It was that scrawny teenager-looking ref.  He's screwed us over a few times in the past years.  But in this instance he got it right.  I don't know what CFL some of you guys watch but I see them call a finger over on the turf from a set player 100% of the time.  I think I recall them missing a possible one once in 5 years.

It's fascinating that MOS (on post-show) wasn't sure whether the ball was spotted right at the 1 or maybe a few inches further back.  If the latter, then the finger might not be offside.  Since PBP list doesn't say partial yards, we'll never know.  I assume Dom's second try got him within 1 yard, thus making LoS at precisely the 1 yard line, meaning this is a legit O/S call.

Never go full Rider!
Tee42

« Reply #193 on: August 13, 2022, 12:08:45 PM »

Interesting theory.  I have not watched the holder closely so I can't speak to it.  BUT, back when we had picky Medlock, he would regularly "can" his holder and request a new one.  He always said he was very sensitive to the holder.  He changed them a few times, and not always due to injury, either.

So if Leggs isn't "feeling it" with Prukop, then Leggs and Biff's Friend and MOS should all talk and figure it out.  Like switch back to Brown (or whoever it was before) if you're on to something.  Leggs might think he's not "senior" enough to broach such subject, so I would hope the coaches would bring this up.

Nailed it.
Stretch

« Reply #194 on: August 13, 2022, 12:18:29 PM »

I don't know what CFL some of you guys watch but I see them call a finger over on the turf from a set player 100% of the time.

Everyone keeps mentioning "finger over the line" for this penalty, but it was Rutledge's toe (or a very small part of it). He came up to the end of the line right before the snap.

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
  Print  

Jump to: