Blue Bombers Forum
October 05, 2022, 08:13:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Game Day Thread - Montreal at Winnipeg August 11, 2022  (Read 4444 times)
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #165 on: August 12, 2022, 05:54:20 PM »

We don't have time for him to grow into the role. We have a 34 year old QB and we're trying to threepeat. This is not the time to be screwing around with a headcase kicker.

Missing a kick in 9 out of 13 games is ridiculously horrible. There is no other way to spin it, no other way of looking at it. This entire season is about trying to win two playoff games. You can't bring a kicker with misses in 9 of 13 games to the Western Conference Final and rely on him. No way, no how.

It's dumb to compare him to Castillo or other kickers that have years of a sample size which shows they can kick at this level. Liegghio's entire sample size shows he's only played 4 games in his whole career without missing a kick.

The fact that so many of his misses are extra points and/or clutch time field goals says he doesn't have the goods in between the ears. We don't have time to be his sports psychologists. We're trying to win now.
There's no need to get personal.....I've watched Bomber kickers come and go for 60+ years and fact is he's doing ok for a sophomore and warrants more time to develop.   This team is designed to be a contender for more than just a 3-peat....which would be great however that's a pretty tall order for any team.   Zach Collaros hasn't slowed down much over the past 3 years, in fact he looks to be as good as he ever was before coming to the Bombers.
Try and be a little more respectful in your future posts.....and of course everyone is entitled to their opinions without putting other posters down as dumb.....just a suggestion

Happy to be able to watch a rematch of the 2019 game in Hamilton's back yard!
famicommander

« Reply #166 on: August 12, 2022, 06:02:52 PM »

There's no need to get personal.....I've watched Bomber kickers come and go for 60+ years and fact is he's doing ok for a sophomore and warrants more time to develop.   This team is designed to be a contender for more than just a 3-peat....which would be great however that's a pretty tall order for any team.   Zach Collaros hasn't slowed down much over the past 3 years, in fact he looks to be as good as he ever was before coming to the Bombers.
Try and be a little more respectful in your future posts.....and of course everyone is entitled to their opinions without putting other posters down as dumb.....just a suggestion

I said the comparison was dumb and that was it. And I stand by that.

"doing OK for a sophomore" is incompatible with winning now. The simple truth of it is we have 2 or 3 more years at most in this championship window. After that we'll lose too many guys to free agency, retirement, injury, et cetera.

If you've been a fan for that long then you know that this team tends to win titles in bursts and then have extremely long droughts:
3 championships from 1935-1941
0 championships from 1942-1957
4 championships from 1958-1962
0 championships from 1963-1983
3 championships from 1984-1990
0 championships from 1991-2018
2 championships and counting from 2019-present

Get while the gettin' is good.

Now is not the time to take a huge bet on a guy who has missed a kick in 9/13 starts. Now is the time to sacrifice any and all assets outside the 3 year window (prospects, draft picks, cap space, first born children, etc) to load up on what we need inside said window.

That means getting a field goal kicker. If you want to hold onto Liegghio for punts and kickoffs I'm okay with that, but it's lunacy to roll into a threepeat attempt relying on a kicker who has missed kicks in 9/13 games.
DM83

« Reply #167 on: August 12, 2022, 06:18:12 PM »

Plain and simple, Leggio lost the game for us and failed as aprofessional kicker twice and the Bombers lost. This Leggio  guy is no good. Other kickers can be had, and the Bombers should make that happen.

The left guard has let the team down, and will eventually cost us. Zac.

Zac makes the team happen.  Without his escapeability we would be a 500 team.

Rose isn't consistent.

These are things that need addressing, otherwise we don't win or may not even qualify for the Grey Cup.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #168 on: August 12, 2022, 06:22:05 PM »

"Now is not the time to take a huge bet on a guy who has missed a kick in 9/13 starts. Now is the time to sacrifice any and all assets outside the 3 year window (prospects, draft picks, cap space, first born children, etc) to load up on what we need inside said window.

That means getting a field goal kicker. If you want to hold onto Liegghio for punts and kickoffs I'm okay with that, but it's lunacy to roll into a threepeat attempt relying on a kicker who has missed kicks in 9/13 games."

We may both be right.....time will tell.   If Legghio continues to falter after the bye....then of course we may be looking for another Castillo-like player, however they are scarce these days.   He is worth investing a little more time before we cast him aside.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 06:24:22 PM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

Happy to be able to watch a rematch of the 2019 game in Hamilton's back yard!
theaardvark

« Reply #169 on: August 12, 2022, 06:29:26 PM »

Kickers don't tend to under kick on chipshots, they don't dial it back to "just make it".  They generally give 'er.  Now, if they are trying a 50+ attempt, they may crank it up, and if they are attempting a 62 yarder, they may use a tee, and both those changes reduce the chances of success.  

So, I'm thinking that had the kick at the end of the game had approached with the "kick the bejeebers out of" it would have reduced the accuracy.  Watching it over again, (glutton for punishment), I still think the snap was bad, the hold recovered, but the kicker was off kilter seeing the snap go wide...  and did adjust his approach.  

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #170 on: August 12, 2022, 06:36:11 PM »

Kickers don't tend to under kick on chipshots, they don't dial it back to "just make it".  They generally give 'er.  Now, if they are trying a 50+ attempt, they may crank it up, and if they are attempting a 62 yarder, they may use a tee, and both those changes reduce the chances of success.  

So, I'm thinking that had the kick at the end of the game had approached with the "kick the bejeebers out of" it would have reduced the accuracy.  Watching it over again, (glutton for punishment), I still think the snap was bad, the hold recovered, but the kicker was off kilter seeing the snap go wide...  and did adjust his approach.  

If the snap was bad the long-snapper Mike Benson deserves some scorn, speaking of people with only one job to do!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 08:20:01 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
GCn19

« Reply #171 on: August 12, 2022, 06:42:21 PM »

We went into last night's game and fell into the classic last game before the bye against a weak opponent trap game. Nothing more to see here. Guys had their heads wrapped around their travel arrangements and plans for the bye and took the Als lightly.
It's human nature after 10 straight weeks grinding. The game last night told us nothing about our team except that we really needed a break.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
theaardvark

« Reply #172 on: August 12, 2022, 06:50:11 PM »

Plain and simple, Leggio lost the game for us and failed as aprofessional kicker twice and the Bombers lost. This Leggio  guy is no good. Other kickers can be had, and the Bombers should make that happen.

The left guard has let the team down, and will eventually cost us. Zac.

Zac makes the team happen.  Without his escapeability we would be a 500 team.

Rose isn't consistent.

These are things that need addressing, otherwise we don't win or may not even qualify for the Grey Cup.

By your reasoning... Zac let us down.  His fumble was a 10 point swing.  

This is a team game, and we should have put the Als away in the first half.  Zac was awful the first half, he was Mr 2 and out, and Harris outplayed him.  So, as long as you are pointing fingers, make sure your boy gets some poking.

That said, this is not my belief.  We win as a team, we lose as a team.  And everyone contributes to both.  Had everyone done their jobs, the game is not on the line with 27 seconds left, and dumped on the shoulders of a guy with less than one season under his belt....

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
buckzumhoff

« Reply #173 on: August 12, 2022, 06:51:10 PM »

Losing a game now better than losing later . Too many turnovers but the bombers running game played good in the 3rd and 4th quarter .receivers caught big catches. Fumbles and missed field goals . .  Stopped them at the 1 . Even on the replay . The amount of one finger tip over the line I think is overboard. Not like anyone jumped offside. Had no bearing at all on the play and the ball was supposed to be behind the 1 . Bombers could have been up 20-10.  I don't blame defensive backs they played ok. Coverage was good .
theaardvark

« Reply #174 on: August 12, 2022, 06:59:45 PM »

Was it the female official that threw the goal line flag?  She was one of the line judges, no?  Not saying it was because she's a woman... just wondering if there is extra scrutiny...

On the whole, our team was the least disciplined it has been all year.  Procedure, PI, these are not calls I'm used to seeing...

Blue72

« Reply #175 on: August 12, 2022, 07:26:29 PM »

Everyone is blaming the kicker but lets back it up a bit. Collaros was running for his life all game and the front line didn't do much to slow Montreal down. We had all our starting receivers out there for a big win but our QB hardly had time to look up before there was guys in his face. So to me Leggs does get a little bit of the loss but also our oline and Buck for not adding another person out there to help slow down the rush. Our two tackles were getting beat almost all night. If the offensive line would have given Collaros more time like Montreal gave Harris we wouldn't have needed the FG at the end. When a O coach keeps seeing the opposition coming with six guys a lot and doesn't help his QB need to look at him not doing his job.

- So at the end you could point your finger at O coach, kicker and his group, Oline, D line giving Harris a lot of time.

-  TEAM LOSS

- It could have been worst though, we could have played the LAST 10 games of the season with NO by
dd

« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2022, 08:03:59 PM »

Everyone is hot at the kicker and i get that, he missed 2 and cost us.....but there were tons of mistakes made throughout the game by lots of players. The big one that sticks out to me, is lining up a finger offside on 3rd and goal and you cost the team 7 points, in essense, the game. Players will drop passes, miss blocks, miss kicks, etc, but heck, let's at least lineup on side hey!?!? Yes it was a ticky tack call, but we shouldn't rely on the refs to bail us out. Don't line up with anything over the paint...it s pretty black and white
Blue In BC

« Reply #177 on: August 12, 2022, 08:39:58 PM »

Everyone is hot at the kicker and i get that, he missed 2 and cost us.....but there were tons of mistakes made throughout the game by lots of players. The big one that sticks out to me, is lining up a finger offside on 3rd and goal and you cost the team 7 points, in essense, the game. Players will drop passes, miss blocks, miss kicks, etc, but heck, let's at least lineup on side hey!?!? Yes it was a ticky tack call, but we shouldn't rely on the refs to bail us out. Don't line up with anything over the paint...it s pretty black and white

It always amazes me how often we see a defensive player go offside on the goal line. It's the clearest spot on the field to understand exactly that you can't have a portion of the hand or foot forward of the white paint.

That series starting with Collaros fumble prevented a probable score and burn down of remaining time on the clock. The fumble was bad but the Als moved from Bomber 47 to score a TD. That's 63 yards and that's not what we expect from our defence. The off side just added insult to injury.

IMO it was the turning point in the game. If not for the fumble we might have been up by 10 - 14 instead of only 7 at that point in the game.

Obviously we had a great return and moved downfield to a position still able to win the game. Didn't happen and there are days like that.

Team has two weeks to dwell on that and get past it. I believe they will.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #178 on: August 12, 2022, 09:20:15 PM »

Agree. Gray took two penalties should we be sitting him also.
Bad penalties yes
Sit hard no
Ridiculous suggestion. Like, I shouldn?t even being acknowledging it.
Agree geez people need to cccchill
I thought the ball was tipped at the line .
The field announcer said that during the game I was too far away to see it and I haven't been able to see any replay so I'm not sure does anyone else think that it was tipped?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 09:25:28 PM by pjrocksmb » Logged

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
bluebeard

« Reply #179 on: August 12, 2022, 09:23:54 PM »

We have a very good team.  Yes, we had a little let down.  Lets leave it at that.  There are lots of teams that wish they had our win loss record. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: