NFL Cuts - never say never? Chris Jones goes Tasmanian Devil?

Started by Tiger, August 08, 2022, 04:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 12, 2022, 05:58:11 AM
Bump.  We knew we were going to lose a game because of the place kicking.  Well, there it is.  A big message to KW to make moves for the post-season.  We can afford to give this to the Als.  Can't afford this nonsense in a playoff situation.

After that first miss should have played 3 down ball in OT.  Everyone knew he was going to get nervous and botch it.

Wrong on all counts.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 12, 2022, 05:58:11 AM
Bump.  We knew we were going to lose a game because of the place kicking.  Well, there it is.  A big message to KW to make moves for the post-season.  We can afford to give this to the Als.  Can't afford this nonsense in a playoff situation.

After that first miss should have played 3 down ball in OT.  Everyone knew he was going to get nervous and botch it.

We did not lose *because* of the place kicking.  We were pu into a position where a kick needed to be made by the poor play of both out O and our D.  We should never have had the game on the line on the last play, or even been in overtime.

Yes, place kicking could have won the game for us, but it did not lose the game, that was a team effort.

As to airlifting in a PK, if Hajrullahu shakes loose, of course you recruit him.  Give Leggs another year or two under his tutelage on the K side of things, and continue in the P duties which he has done so well.   Other than Lirim, not sure there is another P/K out there that is worth airlifting in, except maybe Maher.  Funny thing, Lirim and Brett Maher are fighting for the P/K spot in Dallas... a fight Maher lost to Lirim in Winnipeg in 2014...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on August 12, 2022, 03:59:07 PM
We did not lose *because* of the place kicking.  We were pu into a position where a kick needed to be made by the poor play of both out O and our D.  We should never have had the game on the line on the last play, or even been in overtime.

Yes, place kicking could have won the game for us, but it did not lose the game, that was a team effort.

As to airlifting in a PK, if Hajrullahu shakes loose, of course you recruit him.  Give Leggs another year or two under his tutelage on the K side of things, and continue in the P duties which he has done so well.   Other than Lirim, not sure there is another P/K out there that is worth airlifting in, except maybe Maher.  Funny thing, Lirim and Brett Maher are fighting for the P/K spot in Dallas... a fight Maher lost to Lirim in Winnipeg in 2014...

I agree. Finding any new kicker is not like just looking in the phone book for a solution. We did that in 2021 and found Moutada.

There is also the SMS issue for players like Lirim H. or Maher. Give them a call when they choose to return to Canada. But it's not that easy. Liegghio has a future in Winnipeg.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 12, 2022, 05:14:12 PM
I agree. Finding any new kicker is not like just looking in the phone book for a solution. We did that in 2021 and found Moutada.

There is also the SMS issue for players like Lirim H. or Maher. Give them a call when they choose to return to Canada. But it's not that easy. Liegghio has a future in Winnipeg.

Mourtada is the next F.G. kicker up if Leggs screws the pooch again, he's paid his dues and deserves the next shot, otherwise why waste his time by keeping him around on the PR living off peanuts. 

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 12, 2022, 05:34:31 PM
Mourtada is the next F.G. kicker up if Leggs screws the pooch again, he's paid his dues and deserves the next shot, otherwise why waste his time by keeping him around on the PR living off peanuts. 

He has the chance each week to win the job from Leggs, based on performance, and to a degree, ratio/roster.  As to keeping him around on the PR "for peanuts", he's free to leave at any time.  But for some players, "peanuts" and a chance to be on a 2 time defending GC team that is 9-1, well, its worth it.  As to being the next one up, in case of injury, for sure.  But if the team is looking for a replacement due to performance, not sure Mourtada is a shoe in...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

DM83

Leggio and Mourtada, like Grey are incapeable of playing at a championship team level.  They would be average on loser teams where playing at a lower level of acceptance is , well,.... accepted.

These guys are and will excel at leading the Bombers to failure to achieve a third Grey Cup.
# 38 is also close to joining tha list.  He was the idiot offside. Additional,plays saw him no where near the play, loafing to the pile, and generally not involved.  Bye-bye.

ModAdmin

Quote from: theaardvark on August 12, 2022, 03:59:07 PM

As to airlifting in a PK, if Hajrullahu shakes loose, of course you recruit him.  Give Leggs another year or two under his tutelage on the K side of things, and continue in the P duties which he has done so well.   Other than Lirim, not sure there is another P/K out there that is worth airlifting in, except maybe Maher.  Funny thing, Lirim and Brett Maher are fighting for the P/K spot in Dallas... a fight Maher lost to Lirim in Winnipeg in 2014...

Playing the devil's advocate but one could argue the "team" put the Bombers - in the 4th quarter - in a position to win the game with a successful field goal.  In any event count me as a Liegghio supporter.  Still a believer he will continue to improve.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 12, 2022, 01:25:37 PM
Wrong on all counts.
Agree, I don't agree with tecno's bumped post and his reply
Quote from: DM83 on August 12, 2022, 07:36:05 PM
Leggio and Mourtada, like Grey are incapeable of playing at a championship team level.  They would be average on loser teams where playing at a lower level of acceptance is , well,.... accepted.

These guys are and will excel at leading the Bombers to failure to achieve a third Grey Cup.
# 38 is also close to joining tha list.  He was the idiot offside. Additional,plays saw him no where near the play, loafing to the pile, and generally not involved.  Bye-bye.
While you are entitled to your opinion and thanks for sharing, I don't agree with a single thing here.  Leggs been decent this year, 38 been good to great

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 12, 2022, 05:14:12 PM

Funny you use Ali as the example.  How quickly you forget: we did that a second time in 2021 and found Castillo that probably won the GC for us (5 FG and singles on KOs).  We did that because it was clear neither Ali nor Leggs would win the post-season for us.  KW isn't stupid.

You absolutely can airlift in a K at the last minute and have him be money in the playoffs.  We can keep Leggs around for more development as he's on an upward trajectory.  We really can have our cake and eat it too.
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 12, 2022, 10:38:19 PM
Funny you use Ali as the example.  How quickly you forget: we did that a second time in 2021 and found Castillo that probably won the GC for us (5 FG and singles on KOs).  We did that because it was clear neither Ali nor Leggs would win the post-season for us.  KW isn't stupid.

You absolutely can airlift in a K at the last minute and have him be money in the playoffs.  We can keep Leggs around for more development as he's on an upward trajectory.  We really can have our cake and eat it too.

Good cake is hard to find and expensive though lol

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 12, 2022, 10:38:19 PM

You just proved my point. Also a veteran CFL player isn't always available at any position a team might want to fill. A quality NFL player with no CFL experience does not guarantee he will be successful in the CFL.

You just like to make absurd suggestions not based on reality.

If Collaros gets injured in game 16 we'll just airlift another star QB. Yeah that will fly. NOT.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 13, 2022, 03:30:51 AM
You just like to make absurd suggestions not based on reality.

If Collaros gets injured in game 16 we'll just airlift another star QB. Yeah that will fly. NOT.

No who's not being realistic?  You know full well a QB airlift is nothing like a PK airlift.  The PK is the easiest piece to change or shuffle and the dude can start the week he gets off the plane.  Again, just see 2021 Castillo as an example.  Heck, even an NFL one can learn enough in a week.  (Not talking punter, just talking PK!! You could even keep Leggs doing KOs.)

We don't have to argue about it, we can just wait and see.  Come playoff time one of two things must happen:

1) Leggs has vastly improved and performs in critical situations (especially his nemesis: 32 yard kicks)
or
2) KW airlifts a new kicker (no, Ali isn't the answer)

That's it.  Winner buys the other guy a night at their stadium next time they're in town.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 13, 2022, 04:10:05 AM
No who's not being realistic?  You know full well a QB airlift is nothing like a PK airlift.  The PK is the easiest piece to change or shuffle and the dude can start the week he gets off the plane.  Again, just see 2021 Castillo as an example.  Heck, even an NFL one can learn enough in a week.  (Not talking punter, just talking PK!! You could even keep Leggs doing KOs.)

We don't have to argue about it, we can just wait and see.  Come playoff time one of two things must happen:

1) Leggs has vastly improved and performs in critical situations (especially his nemesis: 32 yard kicks)
or

That's it.  Winner buys the other guy a night at their stadium next time they're in town.

Kickers are the smallest part of any player pool. Every team in every league has more QB's on their rosters than kickers.

I agree Ali M is not the answer but then why didn't KW find a better one for the PR during the last 7 months?

I showed some math in the other string about confidence: 23 FG attempts and 26 converts. Missed 2 FG's and 2 converts as far as I can find. That's 91.8% success.

You want to call that a nemesis when we're also thinking the hold in regulation time might have been a problem for 1 of 2 misses?

2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 13, 2022, 01:43:42 PM
I showed some math in the other string about confidence: 23 FG attempts and 26 converts. Missed 2 FG's and 2 converts as far as I can find. That's 91.8% success.

Something is off with your math, or Waffler's.  From the other thread from Waffler:

QuoteHolders

Prukop:

FG 4 of 7, convert 12 of 13  80%

Mancusco:

FG 14 of 16, convert 13 of 16  84%

Clearly that's far under 90%.

And it's not the miss %, it's the fact he's gonna blow it when we get down to the 20 to win it and won't even hoof it out the EZ.

Are you telling me that, if it's the GC tomorrow and Leggs has to hit from the 20 with 0:00 on the clock or we lose, you wouldn't be sweating buckets with a nagging feeling we're gonna lose??  I know I'd be praying like mad, just like I was in the losing 37 kick in OT.

We had our fill of "pray" kicking in 2021.  KW doesn't "pray" going into the playoffs.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 13, 2022, 04:10:05 AM

or

And yet that's what we did in 2019 when we acquired Collaros.

You're general premise is that we trade with a team out of the playoffs for a short term rental. I can't remember if it was you or other posters but in 2021 there were suggestions about trading for Ward.  Now it's back to trading for Castillo once the Elks are out of the playoffs.

May as well suggest trading to get Lawler back if we have a late season injury at receiver. Elks will be the 2nd team out of the playoff race by then.

That suggestion could be made about any player from the Redblacks or Elks at the end of the season.

Flat out absurd.
2019 Grey Cup Champions