NFL Cuts - never say never? Chris Jones goes Tasmanian Devil?

Started by Tiger, August 08, 2022, 04:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 09, 2022, 05:32:49 PM
I don't see these two positions as priorities for improvement at this time, both running back and kicker are rounding into form nicely and backups are already in house.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't bet we make moves on K/RB, but I also wouldn't be surprised if we do.  Surely KW has a couple of surprises up his sleeve before post-season -- whether forced or not, and whether he knows them at the moment or not!
Never go full Rider!

DM83

Mcfee
Alexander

Those two guys would provide problems for opposing coordinators.

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on August 11, 2022, 03:16:05 PM
Mcfee
Alexander

Those two guys would provide problems for opposing coordinators.

Who is McFee?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GCn19

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 11, 2022, 05:41:34 AM
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't bet we make moves on K/RB, but I also wouldn't be surprised if we do.  Surely KW has a couple of surprises up his sleeve before post-season -- whether forced or not, and whether he knows them at the moment or not!

I'm pretty sure any surprised we see will come in the form of players returning to us, or former CFLer being signed by us, from the NFL Alford/Desjarlais or a receiver cut are our most likely signings to put us over the top.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

DM83

McFee ? maybe it's my lack of memory kicking in.  I thought that was the name of the American RB that we have used at RB/SB.

I would use him on the same route Brady ran on the seam or an out and up out of the backfield.......just based on traditional coverage assignments historically used by defensive coordinator's. In that Linebackers on certain formations have the first RB out of the backfield. Certainly on trips, this could be a match-up.

Whatever the guys name is (lol! Sorry) he is faster than Olivera.

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on August 11, 2022, 03:41:35 PM
McFee ? maybe it's my lack of memory kicking in.  I thought that was the name of the American RB that we have used at RB/SB.

I would use him on the same route Brady ran on the seam or an out and up out of the backfield.......just based on traditional coverage assignments historically used by defensive coordinator's. In that Linebackers on certain formations have the first RB out of the backfield. Certainly on trips, this could be a match-up.

Whatever the guys name is (lol! Sorry) he is faster than Olivera.

Yes it's McCrae. The catch every week is the ratio. McCrae hasn't seen the field for a couple of weeks IIRC. He's been on the AR but not getting reps. Now that Demski is back McCrae may not be a DI and that would allow him to be the extra non starting import to rotate into the offensive game plan.

That said, we've been using Grant on offence while Ellingson was out. If they decide to keep him as the extra import and not as a DI then McCrae won't see the field as a DI.

However Grant was on the field as a " starting receiver " and had 63 yards in 4 carries the last 2 weeks ( sweeps ) and almost nothing as a receiver. He wouldn't directly line up as a RB and I don't know they would put him in taking out a receiver now. Almost a dead giveaway as a sweep coming.

The same might be said if McCrae comes in as a RB, the defence would suspect him to " run " predictably.

All in all I'm not sure who is the extra import or how they would use him based on my comments above. This is not to suggest McCrae might have some talent. I just see the ratio and use of DI's coming into play.

IMO I'd make him the extra non starting import. Having the flexibility with our run game is more useful than a need in our passing game. Oliveria did well against the Als last week but not great. A different style with McCrae might be interesting.

Also Augustine is nicked and didn't see reps last game and may not this week. He didn't practice much this week either. McCrae would be the # 2 RB based on that thought?

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 11, 2022, 05:39:13 AM
Before AH I would have instantly agreed with you.  Now, I wouldn't be surprised by anything.  But, yes, the best fit for Demski is here in WPG and we will probably pay him what he's worth, which ironically will be even higher if he has a superb remainder of the season/playoffs.

Huge difference in ND10 and AH33 situations.  ND is on the rise still, young and has a long career ahead.  And, should the team want to work him out before signing him to a big deal, no doubt he would be there at the appointed time.  So, no, the AH33 situation bears no resemblance to re-signing ND10.

Now, if you want to make a comparable that bring question as to whether the WFC can resign ND10, that would be Lawler.  If there is a team that covets ND10 the way EDM coveted Lawler, and was willing to make that kind of offer, I'm not sure Walters can compete.  He will have a set cap for ND10, and if ND10 wants to go elsewhere for additional $, there is nothing we can or will do about it, other than wish him well.

But I think, with playoff money, and his links to the community, its going to take a hefty premium to lure him away.  And should he get that, all the power to him, he deserves it.  But my preference is him finishing his career in Blue and Gold... like Bighill, or Jefferson..  
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on August 11, 2022, 04:11:42 PM
Huge difference in ND20 and AH33 situations.  ND is on the rise still, young and has a long career ahead.  And, should the team want to work him out before signing him to a big deal, no doubt he would be there at the appointed time.  So, no, the AH33 situation bears no resemblance to re-signing ND20.

Now, if you want to make a comparabe that bring question as to whether the WFC can resign ND20, that would be Lawler.  If there is a team that covets ND20 the way EDM coveted Lawler, and was willing to make that kind of offer, I'm not sure Walters can compete.  He will have a set cap for ND20, and if ND20 wants to go elsewhere for additional $, there is nothing we can or will do about it, other than wish him well.

But I think, with playoff money, and his links to the community, its going to take a hefty premium to lure him away.  And should he get that, all the power to him, he deserves it.  But my preference is him finishing his career in Blue and Gold... like Bighill, or Jefferson..  

That's the catch alright. As a Canadian he's " more " valuable than Lawler IMO. No doubt his 1st choice will be Winnipeg but it only takes one other team to offer too much money to refuse.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: theaardvark on August 11, 2022, 04:11:42 PM
Huge difference in ND20 and AH33 situations.  ND is on the rise still, young and has a long career ahead.  And, should the team want to work him out before signing him to a big deal, no doubt he would be there at the appointed time.  So, no, the AH33 situation bears no resemblance to re-signing ND20.

Now, if you want to make a comparabe that bring question as to whether the WFC can resign ND20, that would be Lawler.  If there is a team that covets ND20 the way EDM coveted Lawler, and was willing to make that kind of offer, I'm not sure Walters can compete.  He will have a set cap for ND20, and if ND20 wants to go elsewhere for additional $, there is nothing we can or will do about it, other than wish him well.

who is ND20 ?

theaardvark

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on August 11, 2022, 05:35:40 PM
He is not #20 though.  :P

Lol... you are correct sir... I've been typing BO20 and AH33 together for so long, I got ND10 confused.  Happens when you get this old.

I stand corrected...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 09, 2022, 07:18:57 AM
I think we need precisely what we all thought we needed week 1: a 90% place kicker, and a Carey-like RB.  I think we're happy with our K and RB progression.  It's gone better than we expected.  BUT to be honest it may not be good enough to win playoffs and GCs against a strong BC and not-quite-flailing-this-year CGY.

Bump.  We knew we were going to lose a game because of the place kicking.  Well, there it is.  A big message to KW to make moves for the post-season.  We can afford to give this to the Als.  Can't afford this nonsense in a playoff situation.

After that first miss should have played 3 down ball in OT.  Everyone knew he was going to get nervous and botch it.
Never go full Rider!