NFL Cuts - never say never? Chris Jones goes Tasmanian Devil?

Started by Tiger, August 08, 2022, 04:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

I am feeling pretty good about our team that said it never hurts to take shard look. 

For example, Schoen may get a hard look from the NFL very soon if he keeps playing the way he is, some players are getting older and some may move on for a better contract.

I think the more serious consideration is that other teams will be looking to upgrade this year.  We will have to keep our eyes open and be entertained at how Chris Jones will be in full action!

First cuts are August 16, then 23rd, then 30.
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

ModAdmin

Given the current climate of the CFL with the rising number of free agents each year, teams are not going to stand pat even if they are a top tier team.

They are always going to be looking for the next Dalton Shoen or a plethora of other players in the league who, at the end of the season, are going to explore their options with  other CFL or NFL teams. 
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

DM83

Why is the name of this post " chris Jones Goes Tasmanian Devil?"

Every team will entertain new players at NFL cut down day. Weird topic.

Blue In BC

However, last year?s move to a three-game preseason coincided with a new approach. That will continue for this year as there will be cuts following each week of the preseason, first from 90 to 85, then to 80, and finally to the final 53-man roster. Here are the dates of those deadlines for 2022:

    Tuesday, August 16: cut from 90 to 85
    Tuesday, August 23: cut from 85 to 80
    Tuesday, August 30: cut from 80 to 53


Teams will be looking at some cuts to fill out PR lists.

When does the CFL increase our PR back to 17? Must be around the beginning of September.

NOTE: The XFL starts their TC at the end of January so CFL teams may want to get a jump on some candidates to have a look see.




2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

I can't clearly recall the last time the Bombers brought in an unknown NFL cut mid-season, can't be Travis Bond?  If anyone has better recall please enlighten me with a few names.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 08, 2022, 03:20:36 PM
I can't clearly recall the last time the Bombers brought in an unknown NFL cut mid-season, can't be Travis Bond?  If anyone has better recall please enlighten me with a few names.

The team brings in unknown NFL cuts every season. It's not usually to see them added to the AR, it's for the PR and emergency need due to injury. It's a chance to determine whether to bring them back to TC the next season.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 08, 2022, 03:20:36 PM
I can't clearly recall the last time the Bombers brought in an unknown NFL cut mid-season, can't be Travis Bond?  If anyone has better recall please enlighten me with a few names.

Travis Bond doesn't fit any of that criteria. He was signed by the Bombers in March 2016 as a free agent.

I can't recall an "unknown" NFL cut mid-season brought in by this team in recent memory, but Rose is the most recent NFL cut that comes to mind.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Tiger

Quote from: DM83 on August 08, 2022, 05:43:30 AM
Why is the name of this post " chris Jones Goes Tasmanian Devil?"

Every team will entertain new players at NFL cut down day. Weird topic.

Simply because Jones is changing players more than the Winnipeg weather forecast.  Either he is brilliant or  loco. Why not do this before the regular season instead of having one big training camp?
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

DM83


theaardvark

If you think that McManus and Goveia have their feet up and are sitting back and enjoying the success the team is having, and are NOT looking under every rock, or at every NFL cut or even potential cut, they you are sorely mistaken. 

There is an SMS, yo can't just sign anyone you want at any time (sorry, Mr. Jones is gonna get fried by SMS this year, especially if he picks up a QB)

We have lost more and better players in the last few years than most teams have signed, and yet, 9-0.  Lose a Lawler, gain a Shoen.  Lose a Medlock, bring in a Castillo, and develop a Liegghio.  On, and on, and on...

McManus and Goveia need to get included in the Mafia as reasons for the success of the team... yes Walters is the final decision of signing anyone, but they make sure he has a full plate and pipeline.

Some teams are forced to overpay and/or sign talent that may or may not ever work in the CFL.  The Bombers took the time to build it right, create the culture that attracts players, and retains them.  Sustainable success.  Jones wants to sweep into town, make a bunch of off the board moves, play players out of position, overpay stars that he can't utilize (Lawler should be doing much better, had he had a QB, maybe like Arbuckle).  Of all the moves (and I think he will set a roster record, if he doesn't already hold it), the only one that seems to have worked is the Manny show...

NFL cuts don't come cheap. although late in the year, prorated contracts might be.  But again, the Elks have small chance of offering the big attraction for NFL cuts, post season money.  Post season money, especially the GC bonus, could equal the rest of the year on a prorated deal.  So most players worth signing for this year are going to look at teams with playoff potential.

Might Jones pick up some scraps that no one else wants?  Sure.  Might they add to his team next year?  Maybe.  But he's short on roster spots, and short on cash.  So if any CFL stars that are getting NFL sniffs come back north, he's the last place any of them would sign. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

So what what do we need if when the NFL starts cutting players?
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on August 08, 2022, 06:35:13 PM
If you think that McManus and Goveia have their feet up and are sitting back and enjoying the success the team is having, and are NOT looking under every rock, or at every NFL cut or even potential cut, they you are sorely mistaken. 

There is an SMS, yo can't just sign anyone you want at any time (sorry, Mr. Jones is gonna get fried by SMS this year, especially if he picks up a QB)

We have lost more and better players in the last few years than most teams have signed, and yet, 9-0.  Lose a Lawler, gain a Shoen.  Lose a Medlock, bring in a Castillo, and develop a Liegghio.  On, and on, and on...

McManus and Goveia need to get included in the Mafia as reasons for the success of the team... yes Walters is the final decision of signing anyone, but they make sure he has a full plate and pipeline.

Some teams are forced to overpay and/or sign talent that may or may not ever work in the CFL.  The Bombers took the time to build it right, create the culture that attracts players, and retains them.  Sustainable success.  Jones wants to sweep into town, make a bunch of off the board moves, play players out of position, overpay stars that he can't utilize (Lawler should be doing much better, had he had a QB, maybe like Arbuckle).  Of all the moves (and I think he will set a roster record, if he doesn't already hold it), the only one that seems to have worked is the Manny show...

NFL cuts don't come cheap. although late in the year, prorated contracts might be.  But again, the Elks have small chance of offering the big attraction for NFL cuts, post season money.  Post season money, especially the GC bonus, could equal the rest of the year on a prorated deal.  So most players worth signing for this year are going to look at teams with playoff potential.

Might Jones pick up some scraps that no one else wants?  Sure.  Might they add to his team next year?  Maybe.  But he's short on roster spots, and short on cash.  So if any CFL stars that are getting NFL sniffs come back north, he's the last place any of them would sign. 



Most NFL cuts do come cheap. Generally they are non drafted, late drafted or veterans beyond their best before dates.

In a few cases ex -CFL players or previous CFL drafts are making their way back to Canada. A few of those may come at a higher cost.

Players like Kongbo and Rose didn't get ELC's returning to the CFL.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 08, 2022, 06:44:39 PM
Most NFL cuts do come cheap. Generally they are non drafted, late drafted or veterans beyond their best before dates.

In a few cases ex -CFL players or previous CFL drafts are making their way back to Canada. A few of those may come at a higher cost.

Players like Kongbo and Rose didn't get ELC's returning to the CFL.

Yes, players that have never done anything in the CFL and are cut from NFL squads come cheap... last chance as it were... I was referring to players that have CFL pedigree that can immediately add to a team.  Kongbo, Rose, Bighill, Muamba... guys out there who might get cut or decide they can't wait around for another call, like Alford, Lirim, Dejarlais, Kalinic, Deadmon.. none of these players will be in Jones' budget, nor will Jones' team be on their radar...

Here is Jones' head of scouting...  from the Elk's website... not awe inspiring.


Sammy Gahagan
DIRECTOR OF US SCOUTING

NEED TO KNOW:

    Part of Chris Jones? scouting staff while in Saskatchewan.
    Previous experience as a player agent.
    Based in Daytona Beach Shores, Florida.

FOOTBALL OPERATIONS HISTORY

    2022-present: Edmonton Elks (CFL) | Director of US Scouting
    2021: Montreal Alouettes (CFL) | Special Asst. to GM / Scout
    2020: B.C. Lions (CFL) | Southeast Regional Scout
    2017-19: Saskatchewan Roughriders (CFL) | Scout
    2004-09: Lindenwood University (NCAA Div. II) | Director of Football Operations

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on August 08, 2022, 06:44:03 PM
So what what do we need if when the NFL starts cutting players?

Not an easy question to answer at any time. It can change immediately this week if we have any new serious injuries.

The question is where are we least deep, including our IR lists and when are those on our IR possibly returning? We have PR players and rookie players on our AR that have not had significant time playing aside from ST's.

If we have an injury at LB, that might be a concern. Wilson is not likely back for awhile and we don't know what Cole can do if needed to step in. There is no other LB on our PR.

Somewhat ditto at receiver. McKnight has been with the team and Harrison hasn't had an offensive snap IIRC.

The reality is who has been on the radar and interested in coming to Canada. There is no immediate need at the moment, so position is moot.

One question we might consider is where are the biggest non QB SMS hits that we feel might reach free agency, intentionally or otherwise?. A need to re-shuffle SMS happens every off season. Teams look to get younger, faster, stronger and less expensive.

Just a guess but IMO we'd look at the biggest pool. That would probably be DB's and receivers as futures.





2019 Grey Cup Champions