Main Menu

XFL 2023

Started by Blue In BC, August 05, 2022, 03:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

If I understand the newer info, there are 3 teams that are no longer and 2 new teams added. Scheduled to start in February 18 2023. Teams will not play in a centralized type hub used in the USFL. They will play in each home city for the clubs. TC opens in January.

Also eliminated was the extra team which was a little like the accumulation of PR players. Now they will be more active at the individual team level.

XFL will compete for players from other leagues. I suppose the CFL could lose some PR players and possibly 2nd year fringe players that reach free agency?

Further, we will try to understand the salary structure in XFL;
XFL Structure Explored:

? Average Salary: $55,000

? Bi-Weekly paycheck: $2,080

? Activation Fee: $1,685

? Victory Bonus: $2,222

I'm still wondering what happens with the 2nd year in the USFL and whether all teams or even the league survives against added competition.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Pay/compensation: The XFL has a pretty nice compensation package for players who do nothing but attend camp, and for those who go beyond, there is a base $50,000 contract for players active for all 10 games (plus $1,000 per win ?incentive?). Even for a team that goes winless, it?s a $5,000 bump over USFL salaries. Also worth noting: because the league begins play early in ?23, players with NFL offers will be able to make Phase 2 of NFL off-season programs.

$800 per week for training camp (five weeks)
    $5,000 per game regular season active list (10 games)
    $1,500 per week inactive list (10 games)
    $1,000 per win (active and inactive list)
    Playoff bonuses for winners and losers of playoff games
    Significant championship bonus for both winning and losing teams
    Players will be released following their team?s final game (late April or early

So another 10 week season league for $50K usd which is going to attract some CFL free agents.

Interesting about players being released after their final game.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Has USFL declared for next season yet?  Or are they officially done?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on August 05, 2022, 05:36:22 PM
Has USFL declared for next season yet?  Or are they officially done?

I haven't heard anything about the USFL in 2023. You have to wonder how they can make a business case to continue. No fans and no revenue stream.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

gobombersgo

theaardvark

Couple games on ABC... can't see any of the ESPN or FX games on Shaw....

https://www.xfl.com/schedule

The Brahmas have some familiar faces... Elisondo and Chamblin

Wade Phillips, June Jones...

Vegas Vipers have "Set, HUT" Bob Wylie coaching their Oline...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

What's their TV deal? Are they on Fox?

Edit: Ah, I see. I don't think I'll be able to check out any games (not that I'd really have interest even if I could).
My wife is amazing!

bludan

Really weird that the XFL is working with genius sports.  Actually it makes me really nervous.  They now have 1/10 of CFL revenue, an internal understanding of our league and are using their findings to help the XFL.

DCM

Dude had a wide open catch for a touchdown. and just absolutely fumbled the bag.. yikes.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

theaardvark

Watched both games on the PVR...  exactly what I expected for teams with 5 weeks of practice...  a lot of emotional play. 

Olines started porous as heck, and then got better, not sure if they just got on the same page, or whether the D could not / did not adapt. 

Interesting that Perez, a USFL player last year, is now an XFL QB...

The unique rules are interesting, much prefer the CFL rules, but the 4th and 15 "onside kick" rule bears looking at... about the only positive I took from it.  Far too much Rock and whatever her name is...

And the special "Player 54"... with the Rock wearing the 54 jersey... yeeks. 

Not disappointed that there are no more games available on Canadian TV... do a search on Shaw for XFL, "No upcoming programming". 

Blue In BC

I watched part of each of the 2 games on ABC. With short TC and totally new rosters it was like a pre season game. Didn't think much of the colour commentary or even the TV coverage.

Didn't get the usual player announcements to show who was on offence and defence for each team. Unless somebody did something, they were nameless.  I think ex-Ti-Cat SAM Kelly was playing.

Just checked the rest of the schedule and only a few are on ABC so I won't have access to viewing very many in their 10 game season. I wonder how many Americans will have access and what viewership will be like? At least the initial live audience didn't look to bad ( better than Toronto ).

I hate the k/o rule but the 4th and 15 instead of an onside kick was interesting. Prevents injuries I suppose.

Didn't like any of the uniforms I saw but that's jut my opinion.

As in previous the incarnation, I don't know the XFL will survive. If fans can't see most games ( on TV ) that really limits interest IMO.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 21, 2023, 03:12:30 PM
I watched part of each of the 2 games on ABC. With short TC and totally new rosters it was like a pre season game. Didn't think much of the colour commentary or even the TV coverage.

Didn't get the usual player announcements to show who was on offence and defence for each team. Unless somebody did something, they were nameless.  I think ex-Ti-Cat SAM Kelly was playing.

Just checked the rest of the schedule and only a few are on ABC so I won't have access to viewing very many in their 10 game season. I wonder how many Americans will have access and what viewership will be like? At least the initial live audience didn't look to bad ( better than Toronto ).

I hate the k/o rule but the 4th and 15 instead of an onside kick was interesting. Prevents injuries I suppose.

Didn't like any of the uniforms I saw but that's jut my opinion.

As in previous the incarnation, I don't know the XFL will survive. If fans can't see most games ( on TV ) that really limits interest IMO.

I can see the K/O rule reducing injuries, once the ST guys figure it out, I can see some return TD's coming...

4th and 15 had t be instituted because there is no plausible way to onside a K/O, because no one can move until the ball is touched.  It is a pretty solid rule, though, because it gives a team a plausible chance of regaining the "on side kick".  Teams can have play packages drawn up for that, as part of the O.  Less for ST to worry about.  Defense too... defending 4th and 15 if you have a decent inside push with a 3 man front should be easier than they showed this week. 

gobombersgo

Does this bring back memories?

The XFL may be back, but the DC Defenders' beer snake is not

While the league might be back, its greatest tradition is not.

The DC Defenders' beer snake.

Back in 2020 before the XFL suspended play due to COVID, the Defenders were 3-2, tied for first place in the XFL's East Division. And Audi Field, where the Defenders played their homes games, was rocking for every contest. With the main feature of each game a feat of fan engineering.

The beer snake:

Unfortunately, the beer snake has not made it to the new version of the XFL. The Defenders are back, but at their home opener tonight against the Seattle Sea Dragons, efforts to duplicate the beer snake days of glory were met by resistance from security:

https://www.sbnation.com/2023/2/19/23606825/xfl-dc-defenders-beer-snake-the-rock

Blue In BC

Week 4 and still no games on TV since week 1. Not that I particularly care but wonder how much of the US audience is getting to see any games.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 09, 2023, 01:18:43 PM
Week 4 and still no games on TV since week 1. Not that I particularly care but wonder how much of the US audience is getting to see any games.

They are switching to main ESPN channels this week after only being on FX last week.

Trying to boost the numbers.
My wife is amazing!