Blue Bombers Forum
August 14, 2022, 05:27:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Montreal August 4, 2022  (Read 2635 times)
dd

« Reply #315 on: August 05, 2022, 01:27:31 PM »

Why are the horns not banned?. You can?t tell me fans in the area enjoyed that, and for sure suffered htemorsry hearing loss. I m surprised the knot heads weren?t punched out. Enough already. Montreal doesn?t need to give us anymore reasons to hate them, we have enough already!!! Classless bunch of boobs. Ban the horns!!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #316 on: August 05, 2022, 01:39:14 PM »

Really hard to tell on TV but it seems like Thompson is a slightly better tackler and Hallett has a bit more range and cover skills.

I think Bighill was compensating at times for Hallett and this sometimes put him out of position for run stopping.  In retrospect at times he may have been assisting Thompson as well, but we won't know for sure until B.A. returns.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #317 on: August 05, 2022, 01:43:35 PM »

Briggs got nicked near the end of the game.

Briggs trotted off the field to the dressing room and did not return, so it could be more serious than suspected, from what I could tell it was related to the arm that was recently injured.  TSN focused the camera on O'Shea's head for the 30 seconds Briggs was down on the field, instead of showing us what was going on. I don't like their attempt at censorship this season, if there is **** going down on the field DQ worthy or not, I want to see it!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 02:24:08 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #318 on: August 05, 2022, 02:26:04 PM »

Briggs trotted off the field to the dressing room and did not return, so it could be more serious than suspected, from what I could tell it was related to the arm that was recently injured.  TSN focused the camera on O'Shea's head for the 30 seconds Briggs was down on the field, instead of showing us what was going on. I don't like their attempt at censorship this season, if there is **** going down on the field DQ worthy or not, I want to see it!

Yes it appeared to be something related to his arm but it didn't look serious. Going to the locker might have been precautionary, but it's difficult to tell. He might be back on IR? That would be unfortunate.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Blue In BC

« Reply #319 on: August 05, 2022, 02:34:05 PM »

Re-watched the game this morning.

Have to give some credit to the Als. They made some very good plays in all facets of the game. OTOH they still struggle with bobbled passes and some discipline issues. They don't really have a very good run game and that hurts them too.

Many Bombers made some remarkable plays as well. Great games from Woli and Grant come to mind. Grant actually made some key DT's after turnovers which may have gone unnoticed somewhat.

He had 3 which was one more than Bighill. Not often a receiver will be ahead of an all star MLB making defensive stops.

Anyway. Bombers rule 4th Q's in every game. The volume switch seems to get turned up to level 12 in the 4th Q. I can't quite explain why, but we see it every game. Kudos.

I suppose you have to start by crediting the coaches and prep done by players.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 02:53:28 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
theaardvark

« Reply #320 on: August 05, 2022, 03:27:35 PM »

Coaching and adjustments are so key in this game.  Macciocha seems unable to make those adjustments.  Thorpe got embarassed by Buck in the 4th.  Thorpe is supposed to be a very good DC.

Talent is key, of course.  But no amount of talent is going to win a game if the players are not coached well, and inspired to succeed.  The Als fell flat in the 4th.  No fight, no direction.  They were right there, and poof.  I really think Khari would have a few more wins by now than Macciocha.  And have this team trending right in a very weak eastern division (which the Bombers lead by 2 points.  Bombers 18 points, eastern division 16 points.  Total. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Waffler

« Reply #321 on: August 05, 2022, 04:45:48 PM »

Me, like the panel did not understand the 2 running plays to end the half. Either you want the FG, in which case you pass, or just take knees to run out the clock. Just to pad stats?

Home isn't where you're from,
it's where you find light when all
grows dark. - Pierce Brown

« Reply #322 on: August 05, 2022, 06:06:07 PM »

Me, like the panel did not understand the 2 running plays to end the half. Either you want the FG, in which case you pass, or just take knees to run out the clock. Just to pad stats?

Safe plays, ball control, but an opportunity to break one and score... ZC8 had had a few errant passes, last thing you want to end the half is give up a turnover/score.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Waffler

« Reply #323 on: August 05, 2022, 09:40:40 PM »

Safe plays, ball control, but an opportunity to break one and score... ZC8 had had a few errant passes, last thing you want to end the half is give up a turnover/score.

That's why I am wondering about running. Low probability of a long enough gain, we haven't broken a long one all year, Oliveira is not that kind of back. It just opens up the possibility of a fumble. The safer play is a knee. The aggressive play is pass and kick if you get close.  Zach knows enough to throw it away if a play is not there and end the half. So I am still wondering about it, I think just decide if you want the risk for a field goal or not. Not sure they knew what they wanted. The panel questioned it as well.

Home isn't where you're from,
it's where you find light when all
grows dark. - Pierce Brown

« Reply #324 on: August 05, 2022, 10:26:31 PM »

Anyone with an ounce of common sense questioned the play calling. Like you said, you either take a shot or knee it out. What we did troubles me as it?s simply not smart football.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 01:53:02 AM by dd » Logged
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #325 on: August 06, 2022, 01:22:40 AM »

Re-watched the game this morning.

Have to give some credit to the Als. They made some very good plays in all facets of the game. OTOH they still struggle with bobbled passes and some discipline issues. They don't really have a very good run game and that hurts them too.

Many Bombers made some remarkable plays as well. Great games from Woli and Grant come to mind. Grant actually made some key DT's after turnovers which may have gone unnoticed somewhat.

He had 3 which was one more than Bighill. Not often a receiver will be ahead of an all star MLB making defensive stops.

Anyway. Bombers rule 4th Q's in every game. The volume switch seems to get turned up to level 12 in the 4th Q. I can't quite explain why, but we see it every game. Kudos.

I suppose you have to start by crediting the coaches and prep done by players.
I noted this too on the replays.....he had a very impactful game as a returner, tackler, running back and even caught one pass.   His speed on a few of those runs is explosive and I hope they continue to throw him in the offensive mix.    If they continue to do so, he could very well bust a huge gainer.    The guy breaks tackles as well and he's not just all about pure speed.   Watched some of his college highlight reel plays and he's dangerous whenever and however he gets the ball in his hands.    When he scored that punt return TD it took the wind right out of the Argos sails.   

Happy to be able to watch a rematch of the 2019 game in Hamilton's back yard!
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #326 on: August 06, 2022, 01:50:07 AM »

Oliviera better get it going.. sooner or later, teams will learn to adapt to Collaros and he will get intercepted as much as he did today.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #327 on: August 06, 2022, 02:10:15 AM »

Oliviera better get it going.. sooner or later, teams will learn to adapt to Collaros and he will get intercepted as much as he did today.

2 consecutive games with an average of 100 yds per game, Oliveira is coming to form. Those first 2 picks was both intended for Grant, I would think Grant might have also contributed to why those passes were intercepted.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #328 on: August 06, 2022, 04:44:44 AM »

I think the danger with Zach's scrambling is over time teams will pick up on his repetitive patterns from film study, much like Fajardo they'll know where and when he is going to make certain moves, and they'll increase their success by anticipating his location and hitting him more frequently.  We saw a bit of that last night with the Als sending in a delayed blitzer focused on his location after he already escaped the initial wave of pass rushers.  He's won't be able to dodge bullets for long and he'll have to limit his scrambling frequency.
theaardvark

« Reply #329 on: August 06, 2022, 05:16:03 PM »

That's why I am wondering about running. Low probability of a long enough gain, we haven't broken a long one all year, Oliveira is not that kind of back. It just opens up the possibility of a fumble. The safer play is a knee. The aggressive play is pass and kick if you get close.  Zach knows enough to throw it away if a play is not there and end the half. So I am still wondering about it, I think just decide if you want the risk for a field goal or not. Not sure they knew what they wanted. The panel questioned it as well.

Fumble is far less likely than an int, and fumble return less likely to cause points than a pick six.  Taking a knee is zero chance of scoring.  Run gives a chance of scoring, with less risk.  And your opponent is defending against the deep ball, easier to run on that.  I can see the reasoning...

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23
  Print  

Jump to: