Blue Bombers Forum
August 14, 2022, 06:25:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Elk's merry-go-round roster...  (Read 1297 times)
Stats Junkie

Unofficial Blue Bombers Historian

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2022, 02:42:07 PM »

Series of tweets from Dave Campbell @Dave_CHED - yesterday

Taylor Cornelius start his 3rd straight game with Tre Ford (shoulder) out. 6-game injured list is quite possible for Ford. Also OL Steven Nielsen (illness) is out. He's the Global player who usually dresses. Been seeing a lot of K Raphael Gaglianone this week. #Elks #CFL

I don't know what this means for Sergio Castillo or Jon Ryan. I'm pretty sure 3 kickers won't dress for Saturday's game against the Lions. Looks like Gaglianone will have to play to fill the Global spot on the roster. #Elks #CFL

(Australian Flag) K Ryan Meskell has been added to the active roster. Gaglianone remains on the PR while Castillo and Ryan remain on the #Elks active roster. Depth chart day will be interesting tomorrow. #CFL
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 02:43:42 PM by Stats Junkie » Logged

@Stats_Junkie
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2022, 02:23:02 AM »

And can you believe Collaros got bounced around like his career was done... 
Blue In BC

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2022, 12:36:25 PM »

Elks depth chart show something like 12 players added to the game day roster. Some coming off of IR some off of PR. Can't keep track of who is coming or going from where each week. Absolutely BS from Jones.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2022, 12:46:10 PM »

Elks depth chart show something like 12 players added to the game day roster. Some coming off of IR some off of PR. Can't keep track of who is coming or going from where each week. Absolutely BS from Jones.

Why wrong with that exactly?
Blue In BC

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2022, 02:51:54 PM »

I seriously doubt all of those or even most of those are actual injuries. He's just dicking with their roster. In effect he's running a 20+ PR roster and manipulating the intent of several concepts within the CFL rules. He's running a season long TC.

More than that from a fans perspective, either of the CFL or Elks in general, it takes away any team continuity. It must be demoralizing for players etc etc.

What other team is cutting 6+ players on a week to week basis? This week he cut 12 IIRC as players were deleted and added to various parts of the roster.

It's bush league IMO. It's not hard to predict there will be another rash of changes next week as well.

If you're fine with what he'd doing, then I guess you're entitled to that view.

EDIT: Added a comment from the Elks forum. The answer to his question is that more players were released earlier in the week to offset 12 added for this game. Another poster mentioned that from the 1st time they played the Lions, they have nine new starters.

I really HATE these games Jones is playing , like what is so hard about playing players where they belong , 3 kickers is a joke and waste of a valuable roster spot .How can he add 12 names to roster but only remove 6 ? Jones has a reciever again at one of the CB spots , Lions are gonna eat us alive on that corner spot

EDIT # 2 from 3rd down nation

Since the Edmonton Elks last faced off against the B.C. Lions in Vancouver ? a 59-15 drubbing in their season opener just 56 days ago ? head coach and general manager Chris Jones has made 83 separate changes to his team?s roster.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 03:47:01 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
TBURGESS

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2022, 03:22:07 PM »

The Elk's aren't good enough.

Some coaches stay with the players they brought in, replace a couple of spots & try to win. Then they win 3 or 4 games and start again next year. Consistency is only worthwhile when your winning.

Jones is trying to reduce the time frame to turn the team around by running a year long training camp. Basically giving up on this year to create something better going forward. If the Elks are significantly better next year and competitive in the West, then it worked. If not, it didn't.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
dd

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2022, 03:25:22 PM »

You don't see the distinction swapping out 50% of your roster will create, the broken coversges, wrong routes run and general disconnect between the players and fans with constant roster turnover?? not to mention the cost. When you have to make.that many roster.changes may be the guy putting the roster together doesn't know.what he's doing!!
Blue In BC

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2022, 03:50:30 PM »

Some coaches stay with the players they brought in, replace a couple of spots & try to win. Then they win 3 or 4 games and start again next year. Consistency is only worthwhile when your winning.

Jones is trying to reduce the time frame to turn the team around by running a year long training camp. Basically giving up on this year to create something better going forward. If the Elks are significantly better next year and competitive in the West, then it worked. If not, it didn't.

Elks are a very bad team but we've seen very bad teams before. I don't recall another " bad team " making as many changes as quickly in season. That happens in the off season. A team can re-build in one free agency period and go from last to 1st.

Recruitment during the off season is a key part of that formula. It may not happen in one off season but you can see progress being made.

I see no progress from 2021 Eskimos to 2022 Elks.

Ironically they'd be tied for 2nd in the East Division.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 04:02:38 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Tiger

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2022, 04:08:27 PM »

That happens in the off season. A team can re-build in one free agency period and go from last to 1st.

Exactly.  So why is Edmonton such a gong show - ah yes - the mad man or genius Chris Jones.

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
theaardvark

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2022, 04:53:48 PM »

So, when the team is so bad you make 83 roster changes in 0 weeks, the finger needs to get pointed at the GM.  When the GM is also the coach, and has had such bad results on field, and has been associated with the league for so many years, and has so many contacts, there is only one explanation...

Jones sucks.

But Edmonton is stuck with him, there's no getting away from him and his contract and the head office SMS...  short of him breaking a morality or conduct clause... hey, maybe they can.  Maybe his "skirting" the rules for rosters can give them grounds for dismissal...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2022, 05:06:43 PM »

I seriously doubt all of those or even most of those are actual injuries. He's just dicking with their roster. In effect he's running a 20+ PR roster and manipulating the intent of several concepts within the CFL rules. He's running a season long TC.

More than that from a fans perspective, either of the CFL or Elks in general, it takes away any team continuity. It must be demoralizing for players etc etc.

What other team is cutting 6+ players on a week to week basis? This week he cut 12 IIRC as players were deleted and added to various parts of the roster.

It's bush league IMO. It's not hard to predict there will be another rash of changes next week as well.

If you're fine with what he'd doing, then I guess you're entitled to that view.

EDIT: Added a comment from the Elks forum. The answer to his question is that more players were released earlier in the week to offset 12 added for this game. Another poster mentioned that from the 1st time they played the Lions, they have nine new starters.

I really HATE these games Jones is playing , like what is so hard about playing players where they belong , 3 kickers is a joke and waste of a valuable roster spot .How can he add 12 names to roster but only remove 6 ? Jones has a reciever again at one of the CB spots , Lions are gonna eat us alive on that corner spot

EDIT # 2 from 3rd down nation

Since the Edmonton Elks last faced off against the B.C. Lions in Vancouver ? a 59-15 drubbing in their season opener just 56 days ago ? head coach and general manager Chris Jones has made 83 separate changes to his team?s roster.

The one game injured list doesn't really function like a legitimate injury-only list. The Bombers have stashed guys there over the years. All teams do it. Those dollars are cap included so if teams want to pay a bunch of guys to sit around and not dress that's really their business. I agree that Jones is taking it to a pretty extreme level but Chris Jones will Chris Jones. I don't think it's a great strategy, to be clear, but I'm cool if he wants to do it. Why not?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 05:09:01 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
the paw

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2022, 05:13:48 PM »

The thing is, it?s as much about ego as talent.  They gave away Saxelid, a starting CDN OT because Jones doesn?t like his Canadians in that spot.  He let go of 2 starting quality CDN DEs because he would rather start Makana Henry at DT.  He dumped Tevaun Smith and Mike Jones at WR to replace that spot with a nobody.  He took an athlete who washed out at WR with 3 teams and is trying to recycle him as a DB.

He insists on converting Duron Carter to safety, and pinning his hopes to retreads like Antigua and Caleb Holley.  He has also taken a haphazard approach to his QBs, which is the same mistake he made in SK.

It drives me crazy when I see articles claiming Jones as successfully rebuilt a roster before, because he hasn?t.  He won in Edm with Herveys roster, and he failed in SK.  He never got over the hump in Regina because he never solved his QB issue, and he let Duron Carter become such a distraction that his OC wouldn?t play him, and he had to go to DB before being cashiered.  It?s all hubris, through and through.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 11:47:11 PM by the paw » Logged

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2022, 07:57:41 PM »

The one game injured list doesn't really function like a legitimate injury-only list. The Bombers have stashed guys there over the years. All teams do it. Those dollars are cap included so if teams want to pay a bunch of guys to sit around and not dress that's really their business. I agree that Jones is taking it to a pretty extreme level but Chris Jones will Chris Jones. I don't think it's a great strategy, to be clear, but I'm cool if he wants to do it. Why not?

It's a small league with only nine teams. CFL fans want all the teams to have good programs and run professionally etc etc.

Have you noticed the increasingly smaller and smaller crowds in Edmonton? Losing is never good but an unrecognizable team week to week is not helping them either.  Check out the Elks forum.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2022, 10:51:34 PM »

https://3downnation.com/2022/08/06/chris-jones-global-folly-could-come-back-to-bite-the-elks-against-b-c/

Is this accurate?
With all due respect to Thiadric Hansen?s ability to get garbage-time sacks and cover kicks,
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2022, 11:08:29 PM »

So, when the team is so bad you make 83 roster changes in 0 weeks, the finger needs to get pointed at the GM.  When the GM is also the coach, and has had such bad results on field, and has been associated with the league for so many years, and has so many contacts, there is only one explanation...

Jones sucks.

But Edmonton is stuck with him, there's no getting away from him and his contract and the head office SMS...  short of him breaking a morality or conduct clause... hey, maybe they can.  Maybe his "skirting" the rules for rosters can give them grounds for dismissal...

Realistically Jones doesn't have 4-5 years to turn the Elks around, he'll be given 2-3 years at max. to move them from the bottom of the West into contending position.  He knows this, he's a cat with 9 lives who has already used 8 of them up.  He moved the dial in Sask. and built them into a contender within a few short years, like or hate his methods, I expect he'll do the same in Edm. within an expedited timeframe.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: