BC Lions / Nathan Rourke discussion

Started by Austin85, June 26, 2022, 06:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueInCgy

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 12, 2023, 10:20:07 PM
I think if Hervey could pay Mike Reilly $750k 4 years ago that BC (if they really wanted to) could afford $850k now (inflation and all) for Rourke.  $850k gets you close to the base NFL offer...

Ya, BC was dumb to pay $750k and they'd be dumb to do what I'm suggesting.  I'm just pointing out how it is possible a team could tempt a top QB to stay up north.  Especially if said QB was very loyal to Canada and the CFL.  I'm not saying this is the case, but it's not outside the realm of possibilities.

The goal is to get to the NFL.  Why anyone would take 20% less than the lowest they would get in the NFL for an absolutely maxed out offer in the CFL, and then be stuck behind a salary cap limited Oline with salary cap limited receivers is nowhere in the realm of sound business or career decisions.  Why people are so enthralled with the idea that the CFL is a competitive position to the NFL is beyond me.

Blue In BC

Quote from: BlueInCgy on January 12, 2023, 11:17:30 PM
The goal is to get to the NFL.  Why anyone would take 20% less than the lowest they would get in the NFL for an absolutely maxed out offer in the CFL, and then be stuck behind a salary cap limited Oline with salary cap limited receivers is nowhere in the realm of sound business or career decisions.  Why people are so enthralled with the idea that the CFL is a competitive position to the NFL is beyond me.

You can gut your roster by paying a QB $700K ( Reilly ) or a receiver $300K ( Lawler ). The Lions said they spent the rest of the 2022 SMS by extending Whyte. If they have to offer Rourke a $500K-$600K increase over 2022, what does that do to the rest of the SMS across the roster?

Also the idea of bending / breaking / changing the rules to create an exception for any player is bad idea IMO. What's next, giving the Redblacks an extra $1M of SMS in order for them to be more competitive?

2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

I don't think there has been a single player since the days of Tom Cousineau, Rocket Ishmail and David Overstreet who can legitimately say they chose the  CFL over a viable NFL shot, and that it was better for their careers.

The hard, cold fact is that players come to the CFL when they make the assessment that they have shot their shot, that they do not have a realistic likelihood of catching on to an NFL roster (or for younger guys that they need to build game film and develop).  It doesn't matter whether you are talking about Milt Stegall, Dave Dickenson, Henry Burris or Ricky Williams. 

There are a lot of very good athletes who are very happy that they made the decision to settle in to a successful CFL career rather than bounce from PR to waivers to PR with an endless succession of NFL clubs.  The light bulb goes on sooner for some guys than others, but to a man, they shoot their shot before they make that decision. 

The exception that proves the rule might be that Matt Sewell kid, who was drafted high by the Argos, but signed in the NFL and then got homesick and asked to be released so he could come play in Toronto.  But he was a bit of a bust in the CFL as well, so that might be the flake factor.....
grab grass 'n growl

TecnoGenius

Quote from: BlueInCgy on January 12, 2023, 11:17:30 PM
The goal is to get to the NFL.  Why anyone would take 20% less than the lowest they would get in the NFL for an absolutely maxed out offer in the CFL, and then be stuck behind a salary cap limited Oline with salary cap limited receivers is nowhere in the realm of sound business or career decisions.

To play and get film and get the cheers from the crowd and be the #1 guy and make a name for yourself and win GCs.  Will that happen for Rourke in the NFL?  To be honest, I'd be shocked if he ever started more than a couple games in the NFL (as an injury replacement only).  The odds of a NAT "making it" in the NFL are astronomical.

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 13, 2023, 12:14:00 AM
Also the idea of bending / breaking / changing the rules to create an exception for any player is bad idea IMO. What's next, giving the Redblacks an extra $1M of SMS in order for them to be more competitive?

I didn't say anything about exceptions.  Just the idea that some (stupid) GM could pay him enough to keep him out of the NFL.  Of course it'll hurt the team: see BC 2019.

Quote from: the paw on January 13, 2023, 12:38:08 AM
The hard, cold fact is that players come to the CFL when they make the assessment that they have shot their shot, that they do not have a realistic likelihood of catching on to an NFL roster (or for younger guys that they need to build game film and develop).  It doesn't matter whether you are talking about Milt Stegall, Dave Dickenson, Henry Burris or Ricky Williams. 
There are a lot of very good athletes who are very happy that they made the decision to settle in to a successful CFL career rather than bounce from PR to waivers to PR with an endless succession of NFL clubs.  The light bulb goes on sooner for some guys than others, but to a man, they shoot their shot before they make that decision. 

Exactly.  I would say Rourke does "not have a realistic likelihood of catching on to an NFL roster" and he's a "younger guy that they need to build game film and develop".

The situation is unique, unlike say Strevie, because Strevie was looking at $100-$175k in the CFL vs way more in the NFL, especially when he starts games.  And if Strevie had proven starter-worthy he would have been $700us+ -- lots more to go down for.  Rourke is looking at $650ca here (though it might take another year) or $700us down there where he'll languish on the PR like Strevie does.

Only if Rourke thinks he can start in the NFL in a few years and make millions a year would/should he completely shun the CFL.  Does he think that?  I guess all 20-somethings think they are God, so, it is possible.  Doubt it happens, though.  More likely is the NFL chews him up and spits him out and we see him back north in 2.5 years trying to make up lost ground.

In the meantime, BC will suck with VAJ or Mr No-name as #1.  Good for us in WPG.  Not good for Lions' attendance.
Never go full Rider!

TBURGESS

Rourke's season last years film was enough for 12 NFL teams to give him a try out.

Rourke has a skill set that is hugely better than Streveler.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

the paw

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 13, 2023, 05:07:23 AM

Exactly.  I would say Rourke does "not have a realistic likelihood of catching on to an NFL roster" and he's a "younger guy that they need to build game film and develop".

This is where I think you are flat out wrong.  Rourke was dominating the CFL last year, and he got 12 workouts and multiple offers.  He doesn't need more film, and he's developed pretty much as far as he can in the CFL.  His numbers were off the hook.   Rourke is definitely going to make a 53 man roster.  And if he misjudges who he signs with in terms of opportunity, the minute they list him on waivers one of the other 11 teams will snap him up.

I don't know if he ever becomes an NFL starter.  Losing him is a loss for the CFL.  But there is no upside for him to stay in the CFL.  None.
grab grass 'n growl

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TBURGESS on January 13, 2023, 03:11:31 PM
Rourke's season last years film was enough for 12 NFL teams to give him a try out.

Rourke has a skill set that is hugely better than Streveler.
As much as I love Streveler, I would have to agree.   Rourkes passing ability and decision making skills are superior to Strev no question.   Strev has enormous running skills and runs like an angry fullback and with speed!   His leadership skills and ability to motivate his teammates are also on par with Rourke but it is Rourke's quick and accurate arm coupled with his quick thinking that is the difference.    Size does matter though when it comes to QBs playing in the NFL and Rourke isn't that big compared to Strev.    He would the perfect fit for the CFL and not as much for the NFL imho.  
Bomber fan for life

Jesse

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on January 13, 2023, 04:13:02 PM
As much as I love Streveler, I would have to agree.   Rourkes passing ability and decision making skills are superior to Strev no question.   Strev has enormous running skills and runs like an angry fullback and with speed!   His leadership skills and ability to motivate his teammates are also on par with Rourke but it is Rourke's quick and accurate arm coupled with his quick thinking that is the difference.    Size does matter though when it comes to QBs playing in the NFL and Rourke isn't that big compared to Strev.    He would the perfect fit for the CFL and not as much for the NFL imho.  

Contrary to common believe, Strev is not a big guy (by football standards).

He's listed as 6'1", 215. Rourke is 6'2", 210.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 12, 2023, 07:16:42 AM
Is it possible BC could outbid the NFL?  Or get within 100-200k so Rourke can justify staying?  Hey, crazier things have happened.  Remember the Rocket (ya, no SMS, yada yada).

No.  Just no.

The reason for taking an NFL spot, 3rd string or even PR, is to work your way to starter.  He's done all he can here.  Now he takes the next step to being an NFL starter making 20 million a year or more...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

Not only has Rourke taken 12 tryouts (who knows if more were interested), but many have opportunities for advancement, either declared or hinted at.  And many have offered cash guarantees.  So, no, there is no way he returns to the CFL any time soon... I'd say it takes him a minimum of 3 years to exhaust his opportunity, and probably longer...

I don't care what his passport is, his talent will determine whether he sticks in the NFL or not.   Will be interestesting to see if his brother comes through the CFL too, or gets an immediate look...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

The Zipp

Signing with the Jags...will get a chance to learn and he will get a shot if T Law gets hurt

ModAdmin

Farhan Lalji
@FarhanLaljiTSN
14m
Nathan Rourke has agreed to a deal with the Jacksonville Jaguars. @TSN_Sports @SportsCentre @NFLCanada

https://3downnation.com/2023/01/15/canadian-qb-nathan-rourke-signs-with-jacksonville-jaguars/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

blueraid

Certainly was brief in the CFL.....thought he might stick around and season a bit more BUT the draw of the dollars is always paramount in pro sports....Good luck to him and I hope he does better than being a perrenial backup like Streve has become....Rourke's absence as the leo's pivot makes life for the Bombers a little easier when we play them ;)

ModAdmin

Rourke, Burnham and Purifoy departures will be significant loses for BC.  Expect them to be active in free agency.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

theaardvark