BC Lions / Nathan Rourke discussion

Started by Austin85, June 26, 2022, 06:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the paw

Quote from: theaardvark on November 17, 2022, 03:35:05 PM
My point was in reaction to someone equating Rourke's tears of disappointment to Richard Harris' tears of joy.  I was pointing out they are far from equivalent.

Call me a neanderthal, for watching a sport where elite athletes in peak physical condition try to inflict as much damage to each other as physically possible with narrow confines of legal / illegal hits.  And then question why I would find that a young man who is supposed to lead his team breaking down in tears doesn't quite fit the paradigm.  Sure, emotion is important in sport, but weakness is deadly.  Sorry if i take the tears as weakness, and that I think he should have sucked it up, took it, and said "We will get them next time".  Not sure you inspire your team by turning on the waterworks.  There are far superior ways in the game of football to lead a team, and to declare you have "unfinished business", than weeping openly.

Not sure I have ever seen it before, and definately not to the level shown last Sunday.  Yes, he's still a kid, yes, it was a huge disappointment.  But this is a man's game.  Yup, a neanderthal's game.

This has been another episode of Doubling Down on Stupid Arguments....
grab grass 'n growl

Lincoln Locomotive

Those who scoff at men crying are somewhat  "lacking" in terms of character and empathy.    Crying is an emotion and it's a universal sign of strength of character.   Rourke felt he let his teammate down and for me this speaks of his tremendous leadership ability.   He will someday be a great QB (barring injury) either in the NFL or the CFL.    He's a winner and a warrior and I wish him the best of luck in pursuing his dream!   Full stop!
Bomber fan for life

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on November 17, 2022, 03:35:05 PM
My point was in reaction to someone equating Rourke's tears of disappointment to Richard Harris' tears of joy.  I was pointing out they are far from equivalent.

Call me a neanderthal, for watching a sport where elite athletes in peak physical condition try to inflict as much damage to each other as physically possible with narrow confines of legal / illegal hits.  And then question why I would find that a young man who is supposed to lead his team breaking down in tears doesn't quite fit the paradigm.  Sure, emotion is important in sport, but weakness is deadly.  Sorry if i take the tears as weakness, and that I think he should have sucked it up, took it, and said "We will get them next time".  Not sure you inspire your team by turning on the waterworks.  There are far superior ways in the game of football to lead a team, and to declare you have "unfinished business", than weeping openly.

Not sure I have ever seen it before, and definately not to the level shown last Sunday.  Yes, he's still a kid, yes, it was a huge disappointment.  But this is a man's game.  Yup, a neanderthal's game.

The guy was the best QB in the league over the first half of the year. You wouldn't watch the game because it was too cold out.

I have full faith in his ability to play the game and his emotions after the season has concluded have zero impact on his abilities.
My wife is amazing!

ModAdmin

Let's bring the topic back to Nathan Rourke - his talent, accomplishments and potential future.

The back and forth on his emotions has been exhausted. This will keep the thread open for now.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

dd

Quote from: Horseman on November 17, 2022, 03:09:21 PM
Maybe he was crying because he knows this was his only chance to win a GC for his teammates like Burnham as Rourke knows he will not be returning to the CFL next year. Maybe, no one will ever know.
Ya there is that angle, that this was the team that gave him his first professional opportunity to show the world what he can do and he would have like to repay them with a trip to the grey cup. Ya I can see that

Blue In BC

If he's back in the CFL in 2023 he'll be a force to reckon with, that's for sure. Fun player to watch with all the talent he has. He's still inexperienced but will continue to improve. Obviously NFL money would hard to turn down, although a PR spot is somewhat of a risk over CFL starting QB money. If he decides to stay in the NFL I hope he picks the right opportunity where he might get on an AR sooner than later.

Realistically that's easier said than done. There will be a number of teams taking QB's in the 1st and 2nd rounds.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ModAdmin

CFL News
@CFL_News

2h
.@FarhanLaljiTSN
the go-to source for all things Rourke, has reported that the Canadian-born quarterback has already received multiple offers that include guaranteed money, with annual salary of at least US $700,000. - @TheRealJJAdams
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on January 06, 2023, 04:02:42 AM
the go-to source for all things Rourke, has reported that the Canadian-born quarterback has already received multiple offers that include guaranteed money, with annual salary of at least US $700,000. - @TheRealJJAdams

Well, that's that then.  ;D  Don't have to worry about BC next year.   :D  We should breeze to another West Div championship.

P.S. Isn't $700k rather paltry for an extremely promising young QB (...that can throw...) in the NFL?
Never go full Rider!

bluengold204

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 06, 2023, 05:01:44 AM
Well, that's that then.  ;D  Don't have to worry about BC next year.   :D  We should breeze to another West Div championship.

P.S. Isn't $700k rather paltry for an extremely promising young QB (...that can throw...) in the NFL?

It?s league minimum.  I wouldn?t expect anything more, guy had half a season in the CFL he?s not gonna be offered big money.

Blue In BC

Quote from: ModAdmin on January 06, 2023, 04:02:42 AM
CFL News
@CFL_News

2h
.@FarhanLaljiTSN

Guaranteed money will land him in the NFL in 2023. Good for him but bad for the CFL losing his talent.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 06, 2023, 05:01:44 AM

There are at least 21 QBs in the NFL making less than $700k

https://overthecap.com/position

Its not starter money, but its double what Streveler is making in his third year.
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on January 06, 2023, 01:37:47 PM
There are at least 21 QBs in the NFL making less than $700k

https://overthecap.com/position

Its not starter money, but its double what Streveler is making in his third year.

$700K is for players on active roster and / or have that guarantee in their deal. Streveler was on a PR for most of the season as were many of the others in the link. PR money can also have some guaranteed money and could still pay more than good CFL contracts.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 06, 2023, 02:11:36 PM
$700K is for players on active roster and / or have that guarantee in their deal. Streveler was on a PR for most of the season as were many of the others in the link. PR money can also have some guaranteed money and could still pay more than good CFL contracts.

Agreed.  My point was that by guaranteeing the $700k, the club is clearly stating they expect him to make the active roster.  So he is seen as a more than marginal prospect, which is pretty good for an undrafted player.
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on January 06, 2023, 04:07:47 PM
Agreed.  My point was that by guaranteeing the $700k, the club is clearly stating they expect him to make the active roster.  So he is seen as a more than marginal prospect, which is pretty good for an undrafted player.

Sounds very good for him. I wonder which team lands him. In some cases he could actually have an opportunity to really compete for # 1 or # 2. In other cases he'll be a development player initially. That's the not the worst thing for him to spend season 1 learning the NFL ropes while earning very good money ( by CFL stds ).

We could hear early next week once the window opens for him to sign a deal.

He had a workout with the Vikings and that could be a place for a real chance to move up the depth chart quickly. That's just a guess on my part.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

bomb squad

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 06, 2023, 04:24:14 PM
Sounds very good for him. I wonder which team lands him. In some cases he could actually have an opportunity to really compete for # 1 or # 2. In other cases he'll be a development player initially. That's the not the worst thing for him to spend season 1 learning the NFL ropes while earning very good money ( by CFL stds ).

We could hear early next week once the window opens for him to sign a deal.

He had a workout with the Vikings and that could be a place for a real chance to move up the depth chart quickly. That's just a guess on my part.

Cousins looks to have a solid hold on the starter's job for quite some time to come and he's very durable to boot. If I was him, I would go where the starter isn't so solid.