BC Lions / Nathan Rourke discussion

Started by Austin85, June 26, 2022, 06:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on October 20, 2022, 04:09:09 PM
Hansen was a completely different issue.  Global players had a hard cap on their contracts, regardless what the term was, how long they'd player, or even what the team wanted to pay them.  Which was addressed in this CBA, so Hansen got a big raise, starting next year...

The point being that somewhat different rules applied to different roster classifications within the CBA. Up until the new CBA which included the rule carried over to 2022, that the team was not allowed to pay him more even though they wanted to.

Hansen was drafted in 2019 and a free agent going into 2022. In that sense it was an even more unfair rule in the CBA, more than a 3rd year option for a Canadian player.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on October 20, 2022, 04:09:09 PM
Hansen was a completely different issue.  Global players had a hard cap on their contracts, regardless what the term was, how long they'd player, or even what the team wanted to pay them.  Which was addressed in this CBA, so Hansen got a big raise, starting next year...

Same issue, I think we're just wondering if it's applied in this case.

I don't know if it's ever come up that a Canadian so vastly outplayed their starting contract and positional value in this way.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on October 20, 2022, 06:55:10 PM
Same issue, I think we're just wondering if it's applied in this case.

I don't know if it's ever come up that a Canadian so vastly outplayed their starting contract and positional value in this way.

Hansen was a free agent. Rourke will be in his last year of his contract. Not the same issue. CBA issues as I pointed out.

Muamba might have been a Canadian that became a starter in his 2nd year and earned a raise. Didn't happen then and I can't think of another example.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 20, 2022, 07:00:27 PM
Hansen was a free agent. Rourke will be in his last year of his contract. Not the same issue. CBA issues as I pointed out.

Muamba might have been a Canadian that became a starter in his 2nd year and earned a raise. Didn't happen then and I can't think of another example.

Hansen, at the time, could not be paid more because of the CBA. So, I believe it to be the "same issue" just, does the CBA also stipulate that drafted Canadians are unable to renegotiate their first contracts?

You are way too technical sometimes.

Muamba is also a good example, but he was also making at least 90k, so the positional value discrepancy wasn't as large as a QB.

My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on October 20, 2022, 07:06:44 PM
Hansen, at the time, could not be paid more because of the CBA. So, I believe it to be the "same issue" just, does the CBA also stipulate that drafted Canadians are unable to renegotiate their first contracts?

You are way too technical sometimes.

Muamba is also a good example, but he was also making at least 90k, so the positional value discrepancy wasn't as large as a QB.

The rules are technical. They aren't supposed to be iffy.  Free agent and a player under contract in an option year are not the same. A Canadian and a Global have different roster requirements and CBA contract issues.

While Muamba's discrepancy wasn't as great, IIRC he went from $90K to $200K although he spent some time in the NFL before his 2nd CFL contract. High draft choices can get more than ELC's but the term is still 3 years.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 20, 2022, 07:35:00 PM
The rules are technical. They aren't supposed to be iffy.  Free agent and a player under contract in an option year are not the same. A Canadian and a Global have different roster requirements and CBA contract issues.

While Muamba's discrepancy wasn't as great, IIRC he went from $90K to $200K although he spent some time in the NFL before his 2nd CFL contract. High draft choices can get more than ELC's but the term is still 3 years.

Sure, but we're not lawyers. I have zero plans to ever read the CBA. We're just chatting.

So I'm gonna go ahead and say player not getting a raise is in the same circle of a venn diagram - despite the circumstances being different.

Again - zero to do with the rules involved - I was just saying it "was the same issue" of a player perhaps not being able to get a raise.

All that said - I still have no idea if a team is able to renegotiate a draft picks contract. I had always assumed that Rourke would get a raise if the NFL wasn't an option next year. Never even considered the possibility they couldn't.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Lions are optimistic that Rourke will be available for the last regular season game. Quick recovery if that's true. He's a difference maker in their chances to playoff success.

Obviously the Bombers are going to be the favourites for the rest of the year but Calgary and Lions can't be overlooked.

One injury here or a bad bounce there can end a teams' season.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sec227

Personally. I don't think he gets a true true NFL shot next year. He'd be best to give it one more year up year. And try and duplicate the success he started with this year, and build on it. If he goes lights out again, and his age. More NFL looks will come for sure

theaardvark

If Rourke is available for the last game, on the road, against the Bombers, he will not be in top physical shape, and will have a lot of rust to shake off.

I don't like:

A: BC chances to win even if he plays,

B: Rourke's chances to complete the game uninjured.  Not just re-injuring his foot, but also other injuries that come from decreased mobility, not being in 100% shape... he is vulnerable to non contact injuries as well as contact one.

Depending on whether there are playoff ramifications of the game, I can't see any benefit to putting him in.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on October 21, 2022, 03:15:43 PM
If Rourke is available for the last game, on the road, against the Bombers, he will not be in top physical shape, and will have a lot of rust to shake off.

I don't like:

A: BC chances to win even if he plays,

B: Rourke's chances to complete the game uninjured.  Not just re-injuring his foot, but also other injuries that come from decreased mobility, not being in 100% shape... he is vulnerable to non contact injuries as well as contact one.

Depending on whether there are playoff ramifications of the game, I can't see any benefit to putting him in.

The doctors will decide if there is additional risk to playing a week sooner.

You don't shake off the rust for the WSF by not playing the last regular season game. Waiting one more week for the play offs doesn't get you in better physical shape either.

He can't just magically show up to play the WDF and be back to where he was before the injury.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

The Zipp

Farhan Lalji says Nathan Rourke has been medically cleared to play. Usually, when players are medically cleared to play, there is no reason for them not to play. Which means we can probably expect to see Mr. Rourke again this season.

From Bob Irving

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: The Zipp on October 24, 2022, 11:51:19 PM
Farhan Lalji says Nathan Rourke has been medically cleared to play. Usually, when players are medically cleared to play, there is no reason for them not to play. Which means we can probably expect to see Mr. Rourke again this season.

From Bob Irving
crazy. I guess it was not that severe.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

ModAdmin

There is that possibility they could be rushing him back.  Everything I read about the injury he suffered is that it take significant time to heal.  Yes, we have to trust the medical staff but it there has to be at least some risk in bringing him back this quickly.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on October 24, 2022, 11:51:19 PM

Medical staff: "Does it still hurt, Nathan?"
Rourke: "No, it feels like a million bucks!" (while ignoring the pain screaming in his head)

Once you get to a certain level, the "cleared to play" basically boils down to subjective feeling.  Players who want to play will lie.

Funny, contrast the approaches to injuries between Rourke & Cody... Remember the Glute-Bowl??  Bet Rourke doesn't turn his injury into an excuse or crutch.
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

BC made it clear from the beginning he will come back if medically cleared. I think the franchise is under a lot of pressure. This is the first time attendance has gone up in 10 years there. They are not going to let that momentum go. Add to that they have a legitimate shot of winning it all. Of course Rourke plays.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers