BC Lions / Nathan Rourke discussion

Started by Austin85, June 26, 2022, 06:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on July 03, 2022, 05:15:06 AM
yes he has many weaknesses....like averaging over 350 yards passing in 3 games with 2 interceptions and 9 TDs.   Oh and he's 4th in rushing averaging over 12 YPC with two TDs and 180 yards...,which is more than our two RBs combined! He leads the league in efficiency at 135%!!   He has been hit hard and shakes it off and doesn't seem to get rattled easily.
I'm still looking for his weaknesses and I'm sure the Bombers will be as well.    Seriously this guy has been nothing short of a phenom and you're  talking about his weaknesses??

Yeah, I'm sure he has some....like maybe brunettes or pistachio ice cream....or maybe Miss Vickie's....or puppies!  
Good qb that can be beat and will make mistakes

Wee bit of a band wagon post there

You may have noticed how I said he was a good qb and I loved his play.  I am very impressed with his play.

In the last game he got rattled a few times when under pressure.  Our DL and LBs could easily rattle him, he could easily light us up.   Ding ding.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: pjrocksmb on July 03, 2022, 05:18:04 AM
Good qb that can be beat and will make mistakes

Wee bit of a band wagon post there

You may have noticed how I said he was a good qb and I loved his play.  I am very impressed with his play.

In the last game he got rattled a few times when under pressure.  Our DL and LBs could easily rattle him, he could easily light us up.   Ding ding.
read the stats man....bandwagon post??    Right now there's none close to him....he's on pace for a record breaking season for a CANADIAN QB!!   Will he have ups and downs?   Most likely however he's got more up than down.   Even Zach has thrown 2 picks but only has 3 TDs.   Nathan has 9!   I've been watching football for 62 years and have never ever seen any QB let alone a Canadian QB....not even Russ Jackson (who was superlative)....have this kind of success!!
You casually downplay this by saying we'll pressure him and be ok.   I think all 3 teams that have played him tried that and how did that work out? You're so **** sure and then call me a bit of a "bandwagon" poster!
EVERY QB has some weakness but my point is about his tremendous upside despite showing us some of his weaknesses.       
Bomber fan for life

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on July 03, 2022, 05:39:24 AM
read the stats man....bandwagon post??    Right now there's none close to him....he's on pace for a record breaking season for a CANADIAN QB!!   Will he have ups and downs?   Most likely however he's got more up than down.   Even Zach has thrown 2 picks but only has 3 TDs.   Nathan has 9!   I've been watching football for 62 years and have never ever seen any QB let alone a Canadian QB....not even Russ Jackson (who was superlative)....have this kind of success!!
You casually downplay this by saying we'll pressure him and be ok.   I think all 3 teams that have played him tried that and how did that work out? You're so **** sure and then call me a bit of a "bandwagon" poster!
EVERY QB has some weakness but my point is about his tremendous upside despite showing us some of his weaknesses.       

Linc speaks the truth. Ding ding. 8)
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on July 03, 2022, 12:26:11 PM
Thanks Goldie....I try not to diss other posters and respect their opinions despite not always agreeing with them.   There are many posters on here that have superior technical knowledge of the game and I will never be at their level.   However, being a Bomber fan for 62 years I have observed and followed this team through the good years and the bad ones and have opinions based on this obsessive fandom.   I'm certainly no self proclaimed expert and perhaps my perspective is permanently tinted B&G, however despite this, I try to remain objective.   
I'm excited for BC and hope their fandom is revived by having Nathan Rourke in their fold.  I also hope he continues to be successful and he gets even better.    How exciting would that be for this league?! The overall health of the CFL will benefit from this.   As for franchises like the Argos.....well their lack of fan support concerns me and I also hope AH can be instrumental in attracting more bums in seats albeit schools still out(until he can prove otherwise) on his career longevity.   However, when he is motivated, he can still be a force, despite his 35 years. I hope he has a good game against us win or lose. 

We are missing a lot of key people and despite MOS's "next man up" mantra, losing them now, at the toughest part of our schedule, is going to impact us negatively.....especially Nic Demski who is sooooo under rated.

PJR has a penchant for dismissing other opinions meanwhile  elevating his own as being infallible and expert.   I usually ignore him but on occasion I have to say something.....albeit I highly doubt it will ever make him think to change his dismissive style of interaction with fellow posters.
Bomber fan for life

dd

His dismissive condescending holier than thou style alienates a lot of us to the point where we don?t participate in the discussion at all.

Tiger

I am blown away by Rourke?s success.  Numbers are startling, and Burnham is injured.  It was nice of him to throw the two int?s to show he is human.  I am very impressed by his ability to read D and adjust. He is making very good decisions and that is hard to game plan against.

One question:  is it just me or does Rourke read and do better against zone defence?

No weaknesses? I would disagree. He does not seem to have the strength and touch for the long ball which the WBB can exploit.

That said I realize this is a small body of work and overall BC is much overall improved (with their defence challenging Rourke?s accomplishments). Further Butler?s success is giving Rourke?s opportunities.

I look forward to playing BC. I think this will come down to our D line, especially Jefferson and Jeffcoat to stop the run, contain, and pressure against Rourke and BC run game. Offence will need to put up some more points and our use of zones may need to change.

Wish Rourke the best, but not against WBB.

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

Blue In BC

Inexperience will show at times. Pressure from a front 7 against any QB causes mistakes and that's where the Bombers thrive. OTOH, if a QB can read the defence and make quick decisions he can beat enormous pressure. That's partially on him but his OL and RB must be able to give him that time.

Overall I think he can do well but I'm not so sure about his OL in spite of the 3 - 0 record.

Really impressed with what Rourke has done in his 1st 4 starts.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

bluebeard

I'm also impressed by Rourke's play but he does have a lot of weapons on offense to look at.  The one that really turns my crank is Ford in Edmonton.  He does not have the numerous weapons that Rourke has, or the offensive line.  He has to use his feet to escape the pressure., but he can get the job done.  I also forgot to mention that the BC defense gets the ball back quickly so that Rourke can get back on the field.

Two very promising Canadian QBs in the league.  This should make some of the American coaches take another look at USport QBs or Canadian QB in US college ball.  This is great for the CFL game

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 03, 2022, 04:48:39 PM
Inexperience will show at times. Pressure from a front 7 against any QB causes mistakes and that's where the Bombers thrive. OTOH, if a QB can read the defence and make quick decisions he can beat enormous pressure. That's partially on him but his OL and RB must be able to give him that time.

Overall I think he can do well but I'm not so sure about his OL in spite of the 3 - 0 record.

A number of Rourke's passes were deflected by the D-line in the game against the RB's, hopefully Jefferson and crew get their hands up in the passing lanes and cause a few intercepts.

the paw

Rourke has been outstanding, but he?s not going to sustain this level of play for the whole year.  Running QBs always have defences on their back heels initially, until they either get dinged, or defences come up with specific strategies to defend them.  Having said that, he could cool off by 15% and still be in the conversation for MOP.

If Rourke keeps playing like this, two things will happen.  First, he will get an NFL shot.  Second, if the NFL doesn?t work out, his contract is going to leap to market value, and BC won?t be able to afford the arsenal of offensive weapons to surround him.  Neither of those helps us stop him this year, but at least he won?t upset the competitive balance of the league for long.  In the meantime, the boys are going to have to strap up and play BC tough.
grab grass 'n growl

TBURGESS

We haven't played a team with a win yet this year. On Monday, we play Toronto who has one win only because Montreal couldn't connect on a 21 yard FG.

BC has beaten a team with 1 win, Edmonton, but Edmonton's win was in the battle of the worst 2 teams in the league.

Next week is a huge game for both teams. A 4 point battle for first. Two good teams playing a good team for the first time this season. I can hardly wait.

Oh yah! I almost forgot. Bombers should be able to win tomorrow in a big way.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 03, 2022, 07:49:02 PM
A number of Rourke's passes were deflected by the D-line in the game against the RB's, hopefully Jefferson and crew get their hands up in the passing lanes and cause a few intercepts.
Good game plan, likely to happen
Quote from: Blue In BC on July 03, 2022, 04:48:39 PM

Agree
Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on July 03, 2022, 05:39:24 AM
read the stats man....bandwagon post??    Right now there's none close to him....he's on pace for a record breaking season for a CANADIAN QB!!   Will he have ups and downs?   Most likely however he's got more up than down.   Even Zach has thrown 2 picks but only has 3 TDs.   Nathan has 9!   I've been watching football for 62 years and have never ever seen any QB let alone a Canadian QB....not even Russ Jackson (who was superlative)....have this kind of success!!
You casually downplay this by saying we'll pressure him and be ok.   I think all 3 teams that have played him tried that and how did that work out? You're so **** sure and then call me a bit of a "bandwagon" poster!

Read my posts again, I'll say it again.  Love his play, impressed but him but last game he started to show some weakness and we can agree on one thing yes he will have his ups and downs.  His start to his career is nothing but spectacular and I hope he keeps it up.

My original post was to simply state that we have what looks like a good qb that can and will be beat.  Band wagon post was wrong, perhaps you had too much orange koolaid? lol, sorry for suggesting the band wagon thing, that wasn't a good fit for what you said.  A good d and right schemes can and will beat this guy.  Like I said he could roast us but I'm expecting the league and specifically our defense to figure him out.  The challenge is shutting him, the run game and all the great receivers at the same time.  The ding ding was to sound round 1 vs BC.  Will be great to find out if he can continue to dominate, moderates or we shut him down like we have done for 2 or 3 years straight for every other team and qb that we play.

And yes his stats are out of this world.  They are unlikely to continue on that same pace however but you never know.  If they do he is NFL bound and wouldn't that be cool.

However I strongly disagree with your one statement about their being no one close to him.  While from a stats perspective you are correct; stats don't always tell you the full story.  The quarterback position is one that will requires many years to show who can do it and who is going to be a star in the league.  Starting to say that someone's going to be that great based on a small sample size of games really doesn't carry any Merit in the way I look at football.  Everyone on here will remember how I take a long-term view of things;I don't look at what happens in one game or in a series of games to determine what I think about a team a coach or a player. Long-term success is all that matters.  Rourke is likely to have this in his future.  However it's not a guarantee and he will see a great deal of adversity in his career.   The announcers did talk about that and they wanted to see how he would do it with adversity.   I know Russ Jackson wanted to see the same; it's easy when you're riding a wave of success, let's see what you do after the opposite.  I wish him the best of luck he's a great a Rising Star but let's not get too carried away here is really my point.  The outcome I like to see the most is our defense Rock them but then he learns from it and continues to grow as a pro because I do want him to have success.  He is important to the success of the CFL and he will bring a great deal of attention to league if he does rip it up.  Having Ford do the same at the same time would blow my mind.  Love the CFL because of its Canadian players!!!!

I am am excited for the BC franchise to gain more success and fans.

Quote from: dd on July 03, 2022, 03:06:25 PM
His dismissive condescending holier than thou style alienates a lot of us to the point where we don?t participate in the discussion at all.
No need to take personal shots and I'll try to do the same.
Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on July 03, 2022, 12:26:11 PM
Please ignore my posts and I'll try to return the favour.
I used the ding ding as to ring the bell on the 1st match up between the clubs
Quote from: bluebeard on July 03, 2022, 05:32:59 PM
I'm also impressed by Rourke's play but he does have a lot of weapons on offense to look at.  The one that really turns my crank is Ford in Edmonton.  He does not have the numerous weapons that Rourke has, or the offensive line.  He has to use his feet to escape the pressure., but he can get the job done.  I also forgot to mention that the BC defense gets the ball back quickly so that Rourke can get back on the field.

Two very promising Canadian QBs in the league.  This should make some of the American coaches take another look at USport QBs or Canadian QB in US college ball.  This is great for the CFL game
Also equally impressed by Ford.  So exciting to have these two play well early.  But its still too early to make any concrete predictions on their future success (more so with Ford) Agree on this being great for league and will get us more attention
Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on July 03, 2022, 02:48:40 PM
Thanks Goldie....I try not to diss other posters and respect their opinions despite not always agreeing with them.   There are many posters on here that have superior technical knowledge of the game and I will never be at their level.   However, being a Bomber fan for 62 years I have observed and followed this team through the good years and the bad ones and have opinions based on this obsessive fandom.   I'm certainly no self proclaimed expert and perhaps my perspective is permanently tinted B&G, however despite this, I try to remain objective.  
I'm excited for BC and hope their fandom is revived by having Nathan Rourke in their fold.  I also hope he continues to be successful and he gets even better.    How exciting would that be for this league?! The overall health of the CFL will benefit from this.   As for franchises like the Argos.....well their lack of fan support concerns me and I also hope AH can be instrumental in attracting more bums in seats albeit schools still out(until he can prove otherwise) on his career longevity.   However, when he is motivated, he can still be a force, despite his 35 years. I hope he has a good game against us win or lose. 

We are missing a lot of key people and despite MOS's "next man up" mantra, losing them now, at the toughest part of our schedule, is going to impact us negatively.....especially Nic Demski who is sooooo under rated.

PJR has a penchant for dismissing other opinions meanwhile  elevating his own as being infallible and expert.   I usually ignore him but on occasion I have to say something.....albeit I highly doubt it will ever make him think to change his dismissive style of interaction with fellow posters.
I apologize if my opinion came on too strong.  I will always give my opinion on here.  No expert on football but collectively through debate we certainly all learn and present our views.  I am as high on Rourke as likely you are but simply wanted to remind you and the forum that he is beatable.  That said I think we would have a great chance to beat him when healthy on D, right not hard to say with a few missing key guys.  Pretty nice to debate how good a Canadian QB is, we can both agree he's pretty special.  What's your view on Ford?
Quote from: the paw on July 03, 2022, 10:43:36 PM
Rourke has been outstanding, but he?s not going to sustain this level of play for the whole year.  Running QBs always have defences on their back heels initially, until they either get dinged, or defences come up with specific strategies to defend them.  Having said that, he could cool off by 15% and still be in the conversation for MOP.

If Rourke keeps playing like this, two things will happen.  First, he will get an NFL shot.  Second, if the NFL doesn?t work out, his contract is going to leap to market value, and BC won?t be able to afford the arsenal of offensive weapons to surround him.  Neither of those helps us stop him this year, but at least he won?t upset the competitive balance of the league for long.  In the meantime, the boys are going to have to strap up and play BC tough.
Agree all

dd

Love the stir and excitement Rourke is causing around the league, hope he keeps going strong, it ll be great for youth football across Canada.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: dd on July 04, 2022, 04:07:26 AM
Love the stir and excitement Rourke is causing around the league, hope he keeps going strong, it ll be great for youth football across Canada.
Exactly.....can't recall another time in the history of the CFL where two Canadian QBs started a game and both games were won?   This can only help the CFL in the long run.   
Bomber fan for life

pjrocksmb

Quote from: dd on July 04, 2022, 04:07:26 AM
100% agree
Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on July 04, 2022, 07:59:25 PM
Exactly.....can't recall another time in the history of the CFL where two Canadian QBs started a game and both games were won?   This can only help the CFL in the long run.  
Agree, lets enjoy the run and keep arguing about how good they are ;)

Great place for the league to be in!