BC Lions / Nathan Rourke discussion

Started by Austin85, June 26, 2022, 06:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rdand1.5

It has only been two games so it is a small sample size, but so far so good for him.

I have a couple things I want to see from him;

-How is he in weather, can he make the beautiful throws outside a dome with wind, rain snow etc.
-How does he handle adversity, let's be honest so far he has not had any adversity it's been rainbows and lollipops. Adversity hits all QB's eventually

As mentioned teams have two games of film now, but he looked good in week one and better in week two, I am really excited to see how he looks against Ott nest week.

Throw Long Bannatyne

I now wonder if Mike Reilly recognized the talent Rourke possessed last season and saw the writing on the wall regarding his own future.  It's too bad, Reilly could still do well if he signed with the right team, but his contract expectations would probably need to take a major hit. 

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on June 27, 2022, 02:47:44 PM
It has only been two games so it is a small sample size, but so far so good for him.

I have a couple things I want to see from him;

-How is he in weather, can he make the beautiful throws outside a dome with wind, rain snow etc.
-How does he handle adversity, let's be honest so far he has not had any adversity it's been rainbows and lollipops. Adversity hits all QB's eventually

As mentioned teams have two games of film now, but he looked good in week one and better in week two, I am really excited to see how he looks against Ott nest week.

We saw how he handled adversity last year.  First game of the season, he suppose to start, then come game time Reilly was starting, then Rourke, then Reilly again, then Rourke.  He had a bad first quarter, then in the second quarter he came out threw a long bomb to Whitehead.   Even the panel had thought that Reilly should have been playing these mental games.  Come second half the Lions march back and almost beat the Riders, while Rourke threw another TD in the process.

The kid is cool as a cucumber.  Even in college when he lost his starting job for a couple of games, he didn't let it get him down, he worked hard and took it back.

His accuracy is better than alot of the starting QBs in this league.  He has greater mobility than everyother starter.  He's not afraid to take a hit.  He was left in on short yardage.  Last offseason, he worked with a Kinesiologist to help him throw the ball harder.  You see it in his throws this year, zipping it into tight windows.

It's not just him.  Their current Oline is run blocking, like the Bombers Oline of last year.  People can blame Olivera and Augustine all they want, but the Oline isn't getting the job done.

I fee bad for Bombers defense, the Lions are going to carve them up.

Sir Blue and Gold

Interesting start to the year for BC. Rourke looks great as do the rest of the Lions but I think I want to see a little bit more. He beat a confused Edmonton team in their first game and then took advantage of a pretty questionable effort by Toronto. Full credit to the Lions, they look a lot better than next year, but we'll have to see what's what when they get in a close game.

gordo

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on June 27, 2022, 03:50:31 PM

I don't think so.  After a slow couple of games with key pieces missing (Jeffcoat and Rose who shouldn't have been playing) the Bombers defence rounded into form against Hamilton especially in the second half.

Rourke feasted on a couple of bad defensive teams and so far hasn't faced a defence like the Bombers will present.  Especially the pressure that Jefferson and Jeffcoat will unleash. 

But for sure will be an interesting match up and a test for both sides.  My money is on the Bombers bringing the kid back to earth.

3rdand1.5

We saw how he handled adversity last year.  First game of the season, he suppose to start, then come game time Reilly was starting, then Rourke, then Reilly again, then Rourke.  He had a bad first quarter, then in the second quarter he came out threw a long bomb to Whitehead.   Even the panel had thought that Reilly should have been playing these mental games.  Come second half the Lions march back and almost beat the Riders, while Rourke threw another TD in the process.

The kid is cool as a cucumber.  Even in college when he lost his starting job for a couple of games, he didn't let it get him down, he worked hard and took it back.

His accuracy is better than alot of the starting QBs in this league.  He has greater mobility than everyother starter.  He's not afraid to take a hit.  He was left in on short yardage.  Last offseason, he worked with a Kinesiologist to help him throw the ball harder.  You see it in his throws this year, zipping it into tight windows.

It's not just him.  Their current Oline is run blocking, like the Bombers Oline of last year.  People can blame Olivera and Augustine all they want, but the Oline isn't getting the job done.

He looks like he be a very good QB.

Coming in and off the bench without film as he did last year while nice odesn't mean too much as many, many QB;s have done that.
Even more have have faced adversity/succeeded at the college level.
As you mentioned his accuracy and zip look very good, I am very curious to see him play outside a dome.
Don't know his mobilty is the best as you claim but he can move.
I fully agree our o-line is not playing as well as it should be

Hopefully Rourke can keep growing and become a star in the CFL for many years....if nothing else even after only two games (even if he was out the rest of the year) he will get a nice payday next year!

theaardvark

Season opener included a concert that was a big draw, and the whole thing was well promoted.  Not sure what happened game two... somehow they dropped the ball in keeping th hype.. I guess a bye week and good weather did not help...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

I can't see it, the Bomber secondary will contest all passes as long as they're all sharp (c'mon Rose), unlike the Argos who allowed Rourke to play pitch and catch with uncovered receivers.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 27, 2022, 04:49:23 PM
I can't see it, the Bomber secondary will contest all passes as long as they're all sharp (c'mon Rose), unlike the Argos who allowed Rourke to play pitch and catch with uncovered receivers.
^this
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

theaardvark

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Top Gun

Lions have the best receivers and rb in the league.... if Rourke continues to play well and coaching does a great job then lions are the team to beat.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Top Gun on June 28, 2022, 04:20:27 AM
Lions have the best receivers and rb in the league.... if Rourke continues to play well and coaching does a great job then lions are the team to beat.

Best RB?  Recency bias.  He had great stats for 1.5 games after being so-so every other season.  I expect him to be lucky if he ends  the season in the top 3.  Who's really the best?  Dunno yet.  But not ours!!

Same with the Lions.  2 games against the crappiest teams in the league with a bye in between doesn't mean beans.  I bet they finish top 5, but probably not top 3.  They'll be lucky to make it out of the semi-finals.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 28, 2022, 06:54:57 AM
Best RB?  Recency bias.  He had great stats for 1.5 games after being so-so every other season.  I expect him to be lucky if he ends  the season in the top 3.  Who's really the best?  Dunno yet.  But not ours!!

Same with the Lions.  2 games against the crappiest teams in the league with a bye in between doesn't mean beans.  I bet they finish top 5, but probably not top 3.  They'll be lucky to make it out of the semi-finals.

Definitely recency bias, but also maybe true.

AH isn't the best anymore and Stanback is out.

The field is wide open for someone to grab top spot and Butler has had the best start.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Burnham out, Butler and Lokombo questionable... coming on 4 days rest against a much improved OTT team coming off a bye.  An Ott team that is very motivated by back to back losses close to us.   

Yes, Rourke orchestrated two dominating wins against very weak teams.  At home.  With a bye in the middle.

Not downplaying his talent, he has shown he can read, and throws a nice ball.  But he is going to face an actual test this week.  We will see. 

I'm not betting he wins...

Pigskin

Antwi is having a pretty good year so far. Nice replacement for StanbacK.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.