Argos at Lion GDT

Started by The Zipp, June 26, 2022, 02:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Burnham reportedly out for a while with broken ribs.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bluebeard on June 26, 2022, 07:34:57 PM
As far as I know, Rourke is making the basic low end entry salary.  That is one reason BC could pick up and pay good players.  Next season will be a different story and the Lions will have to pay him much more.  Now the SMS will make keeping other high end players questionable.

Rourke will earn much more on his next contract, instead of employing 4 high-end vet. receivers the Lions will have to drop back to 2 or 3 and find a couple of middle of the road possession receivers or rookies as replacements.  Not a big deal and not unlike what every other CFL team faces on almost a yearly basis.  A receiver like Wolitarsky could fit in well on almost any team and wouldn't be a liability.  Speaking of which Petermann is currently listed on their roster as a backup to Cottoy.

Rourke being Natl. also allows the Lions to employ 3 imports on the O-line which helps resolve a problem area they've had for many years.

Blue In BC

#62
Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 27, 2022, 02:48:37 PM
Rourke will earn much more on his next contract, instead of employing 4 high-end vet. receivers the Lions will have to drop back to 2 or 3 and find a couple of middle of the road possession receivers or rookies as replacements.  Not a big deal and not unlike what every other CFL team faces on almost a yearly basis.  A receiver like Wolitarsky could fit in well on almost any team and wouldn't be a liability.  Speaking of which Petermann is currently listed on their roster as a backup to Cottoy.

Rourke being Natl. also allows the Lions to employ 3 imports on the O-line which helps resolve a problem area they've had for many years.

If he continues to do well and hits free agency we could see the Elks make an offer he can't refuse. If they have a bad season and Arbuckle is a wash out they will need to find a better QB.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

I can see Rourke leaving BC to go to Edmonton. Home town boy loves playing in front of his family. Then there's the Jones factor.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Pigskin on June 27, 2022, 08:48:50 PM
I can see Rourke leaving BC to go to Edmonton. Home town boy loves playing in front of his family. Then there's the Jones factor.

He's from Victoria, BC though. Grew up in Ontario.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 27, 2022, 04:57:13 PM
If he continues to do well and hits free agency we could see the Elks make an offer he can't refuse. If they have a bad season and Arbuckle is a wash out they will need to find a better QB.

That would be terrible for the league, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.  The Elks already have 3 young QB's on the roster including Cornelius backing up Arbuckle, surely Jones can find a decent solution in house.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 27, 2022, 08:55:45 PM
That would be terrible for the league, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.  The Elks already have 3 young QB's on the roster including Cornelius backing up Arbuckle, surely Jones can find a decent solution in house.

Jones hasn't found the solution yet. I see he's made one trade this week shipping out an OT. Today he's released 5 players including at least a couple that played in games in 2022.

Moral in Edmonton must be falling quickly.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

I am wondering what Lawler is thinking right now? Or is he just counting his money.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Pigskin on June 27, 2022, 09:39:20 PM
I am wondering what Lawler is thinking right now? Or is he just counting his money.

He already got his $120k bonus so he is probably happy.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on June 27, 2022, 09:39:20 PM
I am wondering what Lawler is thinking right now? Or is he just counting his money.

He knew he was going to the last place team.

I doubt he has any regrets.
My wife is amazing!

kkc60

Quote from: PurpleReign on June 26, 2022, 01:24:07 PM
I would cut his butt as a coach.  You can't have inmates running the team.  That was just ridiculous and he looked like a fool.
i really hope you didn?t actually mean to call him an ?inmate?.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on June 27, 2022, 09:39:20 PM
I am wondering what Lawler is thinking right now? Or is he just counting his money.

As a business decision he made the right call in the short term. You can't blame him for that. Winning is important but football careers are short.
2019 Grey Cup Champions