Blue Bombers Forum
July 04, 2022, 02:51:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Game Day Thread - Hamilton at Winnipeg June 24, 2022  (Read 2334 times)
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2022, 06:22:38 PM »

Our play calling is very predictable and we don't tend to run outside much. I'd like to see a few more carries for Augustine against the Ti Cats to make that comparison. I have concern about the OL this week and need Gray to improve his play.

this is very true...hoping Buck has some creativity ready...although weather may be a factor tomorrow.  I think we may have underrated Desjarlais and the impact he had last year.
Blue In BC

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2022, 08:39:35 PM »

I'm not here to argue what the coaches think, just what I think. I think the coaches have it wrong, and eventually they will give Augustine more play. I would just like them to try it so they could have there answer sooner lol

Good point. Those factors are all really important!

Blocking - BO is a bigger guy and possibly slightly better although I have nothing to back up either one being better.
Ball Security - Olivera has 1 fumble on 118 carries and Johnny has 0 on 95 carries. Both are seemingly solid at protecting the ball.
Receiving - BO has 21 targets, 14 receptions for 130 yards and 0 TD. JA has 14 targets, 9 catches for 92 yards and 1 TD. Both can catch and get open on dump-offs.

Very similar in all of these stats. I know Johnny will get his chance, I'm just impatient and want to see it sooner!

Regardless, I'm pumped for the Grey Cup rematch! Should be a great game

We often question coaches choices of roster moves. Some seem very curious including those made for tomorrow. You have a decent argument to suggest Augustine would be a better choice to start.  OTOH I could argue you haven't made enough of a case to say either is better than the other. Each has a set of skills and they are not that different overall.

Some players look better in practice than when the real game starts, or vice versa. There are probably a 100 reasons why certain choices are made that we aren't privy to.

I'd think we'll have a better foundation after game 4 to see whether to continue or modify the plan at RB.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Blue In BC

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2022, 08:51:13 PM »

I see a 4 sack game for the defence coming up tomorrow. Hansen causes a tipped ball and / or an int. Maybe even a forced fumble.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2022, 09:56:45 PM »

I see a 4 sack game for the defence coming up tomorrow. Hansen causes a tipped ball and / or an int. Maybe even a forced fumble.
I think this is very plausible. There OL is weaker with I believe are now key injuries for the kitty cats and we gain Hansen for an even stronger DL. No excuses I look for a dominant performance tomorrow from this group.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2022, 02:58:33 AM »

3 Storylines | HAM vs WPG - Ed Tait

The scars - both physical and emotional - have all but healed now for Demerio Houston. And as a result, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers defensive back has the clarity and inner peace that goes along with that healing.

"There's definitely that feeling now," began Houston Thursday as the Blue Bombers wrapped up final preparations for Friday's home date with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. "Now I have my family here with me right now and I just can focus on playing football, perfecting my craft and being the best I can be.

"I've prepared for this moment. My opportunity is now, so I've got to take full advantage of it."

Houston will replace veteran Winston Rose, who was moved to the one-game injured list, at cornerback in the Blue Bombers secondary against the Ticats. But this is a tale with many more layers than that.

Just about a year ago, Houston was in his first days as a rookie with the Blue Bombers when his daughter Hi'Lynn took a bullet in the thigh after a random shooting at his home in Charlotte, N.C., a story we detailed last August. In a bizarre twist, Hi'Lynn was shot while Houston was on the phone with his wife Ashley. And it was Ashley who convinced her husband to stay in Winnipeg as she held down the fort at home.

"I thought about going home to be there for them, but she knew this was my dream and that this had been a goal for my whole life," Houston said. "She sees my potential; how hard I work and how much I want this. I thank her for keeping me on track and for motivating me. "She's my backbone and always there with me to help me continue to drive and try to be great for our family."

Now fully recovered, his 13 year-old daughter is here in Winnipeg along with Ashley and his two sons - Jace, who is eight, and Campbell, who is one.

"Everybody's OK now. Matter of fact, they're here until this weekend, so they'll be able to witness my first start at home," Houston said. "They've seen me play on TV, but to actually be here in the stands and watch me play in my first start is a blessing."

That's another component to this story, too, because in classic Manitoba fashion when news broke last summer of the Houston's situation, the club received gift baskets to pass along to his family while locals also contributed to a GoFund Me page to help cover his medical expenses.

"I just thank everybody that prayed and helped me and my family out in a rough situation," Houston said. "The community, the Blue Bombers and Winnipeg as a city definitely helped my family out."

More on Friday's home date - a rematch of the last two Grey Cups - in this week's 3 Storylines...

1. START FAST/STAY ON THE FIELD

The Blue Bombers offence hasn't exactly been the picture of efficiency through the first two acts of 2022, with four touchdowns, four field goals, one fumble, one interception and 13 punts through its 23 possessions - not including the victory formation kneel-down at the end of last Friday's win.

Further to that, while it's only a small sample size, Winnipeg is last in net offence with an average of 306.5 yards per game and have run just 100 plays from scrimmage - also last in the CFL.

"We need to start faster. That's evident in the first two weeks," said offensive coordinator Buck Pierce earlier this week. "We need to start faster and be ready to go from the first quarter.

"We're always looking for consistency, especially early in the year, and you want that to come sooner rather than later. We?re at the point right now where we need to be better in certain phases in our game and certain period throughout the game. The big focus this week is to start faster and be more consistent."

2. GET 'GREEDY' ON 'D'

This was the term used by all-star defensive end Willie Jefferson when we spoke to him on Wednesday about the Blue Bombers defence still being pushed by Defensive Coordinator Richie Hall despite having surrendered just one touchdown in two games.

"... We want those guys on us," said Jefferson of the defensive coaching staff. "We don't want them to say they're satisfied with us giving up a ton of yards because we're 2-0. That's being complacent. We want Coach Rich to be greedy, we want to be greedy. That has to be the mindset."

The Blue Bombers do have some tightening up to do in their pass defence. Ottawa QB Jeremiah Masoli threw for 711 yards combined against the Winnipeg defence through the first two games and of his 41 completions, 27 of them were for 10 yards or more - including four of four yards or more.

"We look at things in three segments," explained Hall. "First did we win the game? How many points did we give up, and how many takeaways did we have? I like the point situation; I don't like the yardage situation because they had opportunities to score. The guys did a great job of keeping them out of the end zone, but we have given up far too many yards and far too many explosion plays this early in the season."

3. BEWARE WOUNDED ANIMAL

The Ticats roll into town at 0-2, but likely in a snarly mood after surrendering a 24-point lead in what became an overtime loss at home last weekend. Coupled with the 2021 Grey Cup game - also play at Tim Hortons Field - that was the second straight home loss in extra time for the Ticats.

"They've played good football, they've just come out on the short end of the stick," said Hall this week. "They're a good football team and we can't take them lightly. They've got some dynamic guys on the offensive side, and they have the capabilities of making big plays and that's one of the things we've been giving up a lot."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2022/06/23/3-storylines-ham-vs-wpg/
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 03:00:15 AM by ModAdmin » Logged

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2022, 09:08:50 AM »

Happy game day fans! Wear white Goldie sure will be.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Blue In BC

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2022, 12:04:23 PM »

The games this week are going to set the early standings in the west. Edmonton could fall to 0 - 3 Smiley

We need to continue winning to remain in the top of our division.

A Toronto upset over the Lions wouldn't hurt us either. lol

2019 Grey Cup Champions
3rdand1.5

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2022, 02:27:46 PM »

I believe our defence should do well, and get pressure on Dane, but I am very worried about our O-line, they did seemed to get better as the game went on in Ott. so maybe that's a sign they have "shaken off the rust" but they have not been playing like we are used to seeing them play.

I believe all games are won and lost in the trenches and while I am confident on the D-side our O-side really needs to pick it up

Let's go blue.....er white
Pigskin

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2022, 02:40:13 PM »

The games this week are going to set the early standings in the west. Edmonton could fall to 0 - 3 Smiley

We need to continue winning to remain in the top of our division.

A Toronto upset over the Lions wouldn't hurt us either. lol

Best thing that could happen is Edmonton beats Calgary, Toronto over BC.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Blue In BC

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2022, 02:42:03 PM »

Best thing that could happen is Edmonton beats Calgary, Toronto over BC.

Exactly what I was thinking. All we have to do is control our own game and win.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
gordo

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2022, 03:37:49 PM »

Things that need to improve to win today.....

- Zac 9th in the league in passing
- Willy with zero sacks so far
- BO averaging ~3 yards per carry
- Rose was hurt as predicted - Houston needs to be good
- our safety - start rotating some other young Canadians or finally concede we need an import

Other game day things....
- the weather, big storm or just rain?   - bike riders unite, keep the ride alive
- keep it blue - leave the white to the other local yokels - Bombers are better than them/this
- go early for the dogs and beer!!!!!

Blue In BC

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2022, 03:49:36 PM »

I think we'll play much better this week. That in itself doesn't guarantee a victory but goes a long way to that end. IMO we have a better team overall that the Ti Cats. We're at home and they are coming off a shorter practice and travel week.

If the bounces go our way, IMO we win by 14 points. If they don't go our way IMO we win by 7 . Smiley

BTW: Grant is due for a couple of big returns. He's come close a couple of times and I think he sets up the offence with some good field position.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2022, 03:56:43 PM »

Exactly what I was thinking. All we have to do is control our own game and win.

I suggested to my grandson to pick, Montreal, Toronto, and Edmonton in the picks this week, but he was having no part of that. So now we are cheering for different teams. lol
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 07:25:38 PM by Pigskin » Logged

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Blue In BC

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2022, 04:46:21 PM »

What was the difference in our 2nd game where Thompson had 7 DT's and none in game 1?  I didn't see anything obvious.

Ottawa had nearly the same stats in both games as far as offensive output.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 04:48:55 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
theaardvark

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2022, 04:56:27 PM »

Hmmm... white t-shirts on a rainy day... I'll just leave that thought here.

Was going to get a Walby Burger tonight, but if its going to rain, probably not the best choice, no cover 3 rows up from the field.

We make the best second half adjustments of any team, so keeping it close the first half will be the key to the game.

Hopefully we don't see any issues at C, high snaps, wrong snap count, etc, can be both dangerous for field position, and opening up ZC to hits.  I really hope if something bad happens on the exchange, he just hits the turf and takes the loss.  No heroics tonight, please.

Excited to see Hansen back in the lineup, and what he can bring, both on D and ST.  You can bet he's going to be revving at the redline tonight.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: