Blue Bombers Forum
July 04, 2022, 03:20:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Game Day Thread - Hamilton at Winnipeg June 24, 2022  (Read 2336 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: June 23, 2022, 02:41:31 PM »

Will the Blue Bombers continue the win streak against a team that undoubtedly will be primed and hungry for their first win?

Several line up changes for this game that include...

IN:  #0 Clements, #3 Hansen, #31 Holm, #32 Burtonshaw, #64 Dobson

OUT:  #00 Maruo, #30 Rose, #42 Karamoko, #96 Walker

Blue Bomber Depth Chart...

https://twitter.com/Wpg_BlueBombers/status/1539986651035729925/photo/1

Tiger Cats Depth Chart...

https://twitter.com/EdTaitWFC/status/1540001258085433346/photo/1

Let the game discussions begin!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 06:51:10 PM by ModAdmin » Logged

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
LXTSN

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 03:08:38 PM »

Really hoping that Rose and Walker heal up! Both are important to our defense!

This will be a "prove-yourself" game for Olivera and for Gray.
Olivera needs to make something happen, and not just wait for the O-line to create something for him. O-line obviously needs to do their job, and they are a little short staffed at the moment, but if Olivera can break a few tackles, and run for some more first downs it would help our offence immensely. For the record, I'm still heavily in favor of starting Augustine and mixing in a little BO, but if BO can not stink it up, then I'd be ecstatic!

Gray hasn't exactly had the same quality of opportunities as BO has, but every time he gets into the game, he's missing blocks or getting penalties. At that same time, Dobson is now healthy and ready to take over if Gray can't prove he is starting material. Gray NEEDS to avoid taking any penalties tonight and giving up any sacks. That's a tall order vs Hamilton, but he has to prove that he can play in this league. If not, it's next man up!
CrazyCanuck89

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 03:15:02 PM »

Augustine is good, but your Oline still needs to run block better.  The pass blocking is good, but the run blocking isn't the same as last year.
LXTSN

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 03:35:52 PM »

Augustine is good, but your Oline still needs to run block better.  The pass blocking is good, but the run blocking isn't the same as last year.
I keep hearing this come up and I don't really buy that. It's possible that our run blocking is very slightly worse than last year, but it's marginal.
The biggest difference, is Olivera isn't breaking the first tackle or making guys miss in one on one situations. Harris would always break those tackles and make the OL look good.
We wen't from a good run blocking OL to a pretty good OL, but we wen't from an elite RB to an okay RB. I personally think that's the biggest difference. 
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 03:47:13 PM »

I keep hearing this come up and I don't really buy that. It's possible that our run blocking is very slightly worse than last year, but it's marginal.
The biggest difference, is Olivera isn't breaking the first tackle or making guys miss in one on one situations. Harris would always break those tackles and make the OL look good.
We wen't from a good run blocking OL to a pretty good OL, but we wen't from an elite RB to an okay RB. I personally think that's the biggest difference. 

Disagree. Offensive line run blocking is the major difference so far. That said, small sample size and only one opponent so let's see how things shake out. s
Blue In BC

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 03:48:33 PM »

Augustine was being tackled behind the LOS as well. You're clearly biased towards him. We'll see if either has more success this week.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 03:51:06 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 04:42:12 PM »

Really hoping that Rose and Walker heal up! Both are important to our defense!

This will be a "prove-yourself" game for Olivera and for Gray.
Olivera needs to make something happen, and not just wait for the O-line to create something for him. O-line obviously needs to do their job, and they are a little short staffed at the moment, but if Olivera can break a few tackles, and run for some more first downs it would help our offence immensely. For the record, I'm still heavily in favor of starting Augustine and mixing in a little BO, but if BO can not stink it up, then I'd be ecstatic!

Gray hasn't exactly had the same quality of opportunities as BO has, but every time he gets into the game, he's missing blocks or getting penalties. At that same time, Dobson is now healthy and ready to take over if Gray can't prove he is starting material. Gray NEEDS to avoid taking any penalties tonight and giving up any sacks. That's a tall order vs Hamilton, but he has to prove that he can play in this league. If not, it's next man up!

Some corrections:
Walker is not injured, he is moved to the PR.
Although Dobson technically came from IR, he is not coming from an injury. He was healthy scratch since Week1.

As I mentioned before Dobson will take over that LG spot sooner rather than later. Maybe it will start tomorrow night. 

Honestly, I would rather see Rene come in as the extra DB (instead of Holm) and McRae as 3rd RB/alternate KR (instead of Burtenshaw). I think there is more value to that.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 05:01:41 PM by M.O.A.B. » Logged
LXTSN

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 05:02:31 PM »

Augustine was being tackled behind the LOS as well. You're clearly biased towards him. We'll see if either has more success this week.
You're right. He has also been tacked behind the LOS, but I think he breaks the first tackle more often than BO. I don't think this is a biased take. I would say people who still think BO should start over JA would have to have some sort of biased (hometown boy or young draft pick). I definatley like him better, and I think he has shown that he's the better back right now.

I'm not trying to bash BO, I just think JA is better right now.
LXTSN

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 05:06:38 PM »

Some corrections:
Walker is not injured, he is moved to the PR.
Although Dobson technically came from IR, he is not coming from an injury. He was healthy scratch since Week1.

As I mentioned before Dobson will take over that LG spot sooner rather than later. Maybe it will start tomorrow night. 

Honestly, I would rather see Rene come in as the extra DB (instead of Holm) and McRae as 3rd RB/alternate KR (instead of Burtenshaw). I think there is more value to that.

That's good to hear that Walker isn't hurt, but I'm surprised we took him out of the game! We are slightly low at interior linemen without him.
Totally agree with Rene rather than Holm and McRae rather than Burtenshaw! Really curious to see how or if they plan to use Burtenshaw in the run-game. Maybe a lead-blocker would help our offence out.
Blue In BC

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 05:47:36 PM »

You're right. He has also been tacked behind the LOS, but I think he breaks the first tackle more often than BO. I don't think this is a biased take. I would say people who still think BO should start over JA would have to have some sort of biased (hometown boy or young draft pick). I definatley like him better, and I think he has shown that he's the better back right now.

I'm not trying to bash BO, I just think JA is better right now.

The coaches disagree with you. As has been pointed out repeatedly, there are other factors such as blocking, ball security and ability as a receiver when looking at a given RB choice. I haven't noticed an issue with his blocking but he is 20 lbs lighter and it's possible that he doesn't read the defence as well in making those decisions. IDK. The only certainty is that we need more out of our run game.

You might be right in the long run but at the moment it's conjecture that is in conflict with the coaches choice.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 06:01:43 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Blue In BC

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2022, 06:03:40 PM »

That's good to hear that Walker isn't hurt, but I'm surprised we took him out of the game! We are slightly low at interior linemen without him.
Totally agree with Rene rather than Holm and McRae rather than Burtenshaw! Really curious to see how or if they plan to use Burtenshaw in the run-game. Maybe a lead-blocker would help our offence out.

Can't disagree with any of that but we'll see how this pans out. I thought there might be a possibility this week to see McCrae as well. They choose Clements instead. If Briggs wasn't on the 6 game IR we might have seen a different choice.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pete

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2022, 06:04:28 PM »

The coaches disagree with you. As has been pointed out repeatedly, there are other factors such as blocking, ball security and ability as a receiver when looking at a given RB choice.

You might be right in the long run but at the moment it's conjecture that is in conflict with the coaches choice.
I'm with the Augustine camp on thiis one. Olivera may be closer to a Harris tupe back, but as mentioed hes not breaking that first tackle, and doesn't have that burst when he sees a hole,
Augustine came into the season better prepared. hes stronger than ly and has the speed to take the ball around the outside. With Olivera the other team stacks up the middle hence the low yards per carry, he just too predicatable
 As far as recieving and blocking I haven't seen much of a difference
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 06:06:38 PM by Pete » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2022, 06:09:39 PM »

I'm with the Augustine camp on thiis one. Olivera may be closer to a Harris tupe back, but as mentioed hes not breaking that first tackle, and doesn't have that burst when he sees a hole,
Augustine came into the season better prepared. hes stronger than ly and has the speed to take the ball around the outside. With Olivera the other team stacks up the middle hence the low yards per carry, he just too predicatable
 As far as recieving and blocking I haven't seen much of a difference

Our play calling is very predictable and we don't tend to run outside much. I'd like to see a few more carries for Augustine against the Ti Cats to make that comparison. I have concern about the OL this week and need Gray to improve his play.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2022, 06:14:25 PM »

Uhoh. A sudden and big loss for the Ti-Cats: Revenberg is out.

https://3downnation.com/2022/06/23/all-star-left-guard-brandon-revenberg-ruled-out-for-ticats-week-3-clash-with-bombers/
LXTSN

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2022, 06:17:58 PM »

The coaches disagree with you. As has been pointed out repeatedly, there are other factors such as blocking, ball security and ability as a receiver when looking at a given RB choice.

I'm not here to argue what the coaches think, just what I think. I think the coaches have it wrong, and eventually they will give Augustine more play. I would just like them to try it so they could have there answer sooner lol

Good point. Those factors are all really important!

Blocking - BO is a bigger guy and possibly slightly better although I have nothing to back up either one being better.
Ball Security - Olivera has 1 fumble on 118 carries and Johnny has 0 on 95 carries. Both are seemingly solid at protecting the ball.
Receiving - BO has 21 targets, 14 receptions for 130 yards and 0 TD. JA has 14 targets, 9 catches for 92 yards and 1 TD. Both can catch and get open on dump-offs.

Very similar in all of these stats. I know Johnny will get his chance, I'm just impatient and want to see it sooner!

Regardless, I'm pumped for the Grey Cup rematch! Should be a great game
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2022, 06:22:38 PM »

Our play calling is very predictable and we don't tend to run outside much. I'd like to see a few more carries for Augustine against the Ti Cats to make that comparison. I have concern about the OL this week and need Gray to improve his play.

this is very true...hoping Buck has some creativity ready...although weather may be a factor tomorrow.  I think we may have underrated Desjarlais and the impact he had last year.
Blue In BC

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2022, 08:39:35 PM »

I'm not here to argue what the coaches think, just what I think. I think the coaches have it wrong, and eventually they will give Augustine more play. I would just like them to try it so they could have there answer sooner lol

Good point. Those factors are all really important!

Blocking - BO is a bigger guy and possibly slightly better although I have nothing to back up either one being better.
Ball Security - Olivera has 1 fumble on 118 carries and Johnny has 0 on 95 carries. Both are seemingly solid at protecting the ball.
Receiving - BO has 21 targets, 14 receptions for 130 yards and 0 TD. JA has 14 targets, 9 catches for 92 yards and 1 TD. Both can catch and get open on dump-offs.

Very similar in all of these stats. I know Johnny will get his chance, I'm just impatient and want to see it sooner!

Regardless, I'm pumped for the Grey Cup rematch! Should be a great game

We often question coaches choices of roster moves. Some seem very curious including those made for tomorrow. You have a decent argument to suggest Augustine would be a better choice to start.  OTOH I could argue you haven't made enough of a case to say either is better than the other. Each has a set of skills and they are not that different overall.

Some players look better in practice than when the real game starts, or vice versa. There are probably a 100 reasons why certain choices are made that we aren't privy to.

I'd think we'll have a better foundation after game 4 to see whether to continue or modify the plan at RB.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Blue In BC

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2022, 08:51:13 PM »

I see a 4 sack game for the defence coming up tomorrow. Hansen causes a tipped ball and / or an int. Maybe even a forced fumble.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2022, 09:56:45 PM »

I see a 4 sack game for the defence coming up tomorrow. Hansen causes a tipped ball and / or an int. Maybe even a forced fumble.
I think this is very plausible. There OL is weaker with I believe are now key injuries for the kitty cats and we gain Hansen for an even stronger DL. No excuses I look for a dominant performance tomorrow from this group.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2022, 02:58:33 AM »

3 Storylines | HAM vs WPG - Ed Tait

The scars - both physical and emotional - have all but healed now for Demerio Houston. And as a result, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers defensive back has the clarity and inner peace that goes along with that healing.

"There's definitely that feeling now," began Houston Thursday as the Blue Bombers wrapped up final preparations for Friday's home date with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. "Now I have my family here with me right now and I just can focus on playing football, perfecting my craft and being the best I can be.

"I've prepared for this moment. My opportunity is now, so I've got to take full advantage of it."

Houston will replace veteran Winston Rose, who was moved to the one-game injured list, at cornerback in the Blue Bombers secondary against the Ticats. But this is a tale with many more layers than that.

Just about a year ago, Houston was in his first days as a rookie with the Blue Bombers when his daughter Hi'Lynn took a bullet in the thigh after a random shooting at his home in Charlotte, N.C., a story we detailed last August. In a bizarre twist, Hi'Lynn was shot while Houston was on the phone with his wife Ashley. And it was Ashley who convinced her husband to stay in Winnipeg as she held down the fort at home.

"I thought about going home to be there for them, but she knew this was my dream and that this had been a goal for my whole life," Houston said. "She sees my potential; how hard I work and how much I want this. I thank her for keeping me on track and for motivating me. "She's my backbone and always there with me to help me continue to drive and try to be great for our family."

Now fully recovered, his 13 year-old daughter is here in Winnipeg along with Ashley and his two sons - Jace, who is eight, and Campbell, who is one.

"Everybody's OK now. Matter of fact, they're here until this weekend, so they'll be able to witness my first start at home," Houston said. "They've seen me play on TV, but to actually be here in the stands and watch me play in my first start is a blessing."

That's another component to this story, too, because in classic Manitoba fashion when news broke last summer of the Houston's situation, the club received gift baskets to pass along to his family while locals also contributed to a GoFund Me page to help cover his medical expenses.

"I just thank everybody that prayed and helped me and my family out in a rough situation," Houston said. "The community, the Blue Bombers and Winnipeg as a city definitely helped my family out."

More on Friday's home date - a rematch of the last two Grey Cups - in this week's 3 Storylines...

1. START FAST/STAY ON THE FIELD

The Blue Bombers offence hasn't exactly been the picture of efficiency through the first two acts of 2022, with four touchdowns, four field goals, one fumble, one interception and 13 punts through its 23 possessions - not including the victory formation kneel-down at the end of last Friday's win.

Further to that, while it's only a small sample size, Winnipeg is last in net offence with an average of 306.5 yards per game and have run just 100 plays from scrimmage - also last in the CFL.

"We need to start faster. That's evident in the first two weeks," said offensive coordinator Buck Pierce earlier this week. "We need to start faster and be ready to go from the first quarter.

"We're always looking for consistency, especially early in the year, and you want that to come sooner rather than later. We?re at the point right now where we need to be better in certain phases in our game and certain period throughout the game. The big focus this week is to start faster and be more consistent."

2. GET 'GREEDY' ON 'D'

This was the term used by all-star defensive end Willie Jefferson when we spoke to him on Wednesday about the Blue Bombers defence still being pushed by Defensive Coordinator Richie Hall despite having surrendered just one touchdown in two games.

"... We want those guys on us," said Jefferson of the defensive coaching staff. "We don't want them to say they're satisfied with us giving up a ton of yards because we're 2-0. That's being complacent. We want Coach Rich to be greedy, we want to be greedy. That has to be the mindset."

The Blue Bombers do have some tightening up to do in their pass defence. Ottawa QB Jeremiah Masoli threw for 711 yards combined against the Winnipeg defence through the first two games and of his 41 completions, 27 of them were for 10 yards or more - including four of four yards or more.

"We look at things in three segments," explained Hall. "First did we win the game? How many points did we give up, and how many takeaways did we have? I like the point situation; I don't like the yardage situation because they had opportunities to score. The guys did a great job of keeping them out of the end zone, but we have given up far too many yards and far too many explosion plays this early in the season."

3. BEWARE WOUNDED ANIMAL

The Ticats roll into town at 0-2, but likely in a snarly mood after surrendering a 24-point lead in what became an overtime loss at home last weekend. Coupled with the 2021 Grey Cup game - also play at Tim Hortons Field - that was the second straight home loss in extra time for the Ticats.

"They've played good football, they've just come out on the short end of the stick," said Hall this week. "They're a good football team and we can't take them lightly. They've got some dynamic guys on the offensive side, and they have the capabilities of making big plays and that's one of the things we've been giving up a lot."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2022/06/23/3-storylines-ham-vs-wpg/
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 03:00:15 AM by ModAdmin » Logged

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2022, 09:08:50 AM »

Happy game day fans! Wear white Goldie sure will be.

Blue In BC

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2022, 12:04:23 PM »

The games this week are going to set the early standings in the west. Edmonton could fall to 0 - 3 Smiley

We need to continue winning to remain in the top of our division.

A Toronto upset over the Lions wouldn't hurt us either. lol

2019 Grey Cup Champions
3rdand1.5

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2022, 02:27:46 PM »

I believe our defence should do well, and get pressure on Dane, but I am very worried about our O-line, they did seemed to get better as the game went on in Ott. so maybe that's a sign they have "shaken off the rust" but they have not been playing like we are used to seeing them play.

I believe all games are won and lost in the trenches and while I am confident on the D-side our O-side really needs to pick it up

Let's go blue.....er white
Pigskin

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2022, 02:40:13 PM »

The games this week are going to set the early standings in the west. Edmonton could fall to 0 - 3 Smiley

We need to continue winning to remain in the top of our division.

A Toronto upset over the Lions wouldn't hurt us either. lol

Best thing that could happen is Edmonton beats Calgary, Toronto over BC.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Blue In BC

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2022, 02:42:03 PM »

Exactly what I was thinking. All we have to do is control our own game and win.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
gordo

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2022, 03:37:49 PM »

Things that need to improve to win today.....

- Zac 9th in the league in passing
- Willy with zero sacks so far
- BO averaging ~3 yards per carry
- Rose was hurt as predicted - Houston needs to be good
- our safety - start rotating some other young Canadians or finally concede we need an import

Other game day things....
- the weather, big storm or just rain?   - bike riders unite, keep the ride alive
- keep it blue - leave the white to the other local yokels - Bombers are better than them/this
- go early for the dogs and beer!!!!!

Blue In BC

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2022, 03:49:36 PM »

I think we'll play much better this week. That in itself doesn't guarantee a victory but goes a long way to that end. IMO we have a better team overall that the Ti Cats. We're at home and they are coming off a shorter practice and travel week.

If the bounces go our way, IMO we win by 14 points. If they don't go our way IMO we win by 7 . Smiley

BTW: Grant is due for a couple of big returns. He's come close a couple of times and I think he sets up the offence with some good field position.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2022, 03:56:43 PM »

Exactly what I was thinking. All we have to do is control our own game and win.

I suggested to my grandson to pick, Montreal, Toronto, and Edmonton in the picks this week, but he was having no part of that. So now we are cheering for different teams. lol
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 07:25:38 PM by Pigskin » Logged

Blue In BC

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2022, 04:46:21 PM »

What was the difference in our 2nd game where Thompson had 7 DT's and none in game 1?  I didn't see anything obvious.

Ottawa had nearly the same stats in both games as far as offensive output.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 04:48:55 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
theaardvark

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2022, 04:56:27 PM »

Hmmm... white t-shirts on a rainy day... I'll just leave that thought here.

Was going to get a Walby Burger tonight, but if its going to rain, probably not the best choice, no cover 3 rows up from the field.

We make the best second half adjustments of any team, so keeping it close the first half will be the key to the game.

Hopefully we don't see any issues at C, high snaps, wrong snap count, etc, can be both dangerous for field position, and opening up ZC to hits.  I really hope if something bad happens on the exchange, he just hits the turf and takes the loss.  No heroics tonight, please.

Excited to see Hansen back in the lineup, and what he can bring, both on D and ST.  You can bet he's going to be revving at the redline tonight.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2022, 05:01:31 PM »

Could be the weekend of major upsets, waffled over every game except the Stamps/Esks.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2022, 09:14:06 PM »

Houston starting over Rose means HAM attacks weak side all night long.  They'll prey on Houston like there's no tomorrow.  Couldn't wrap up a tackle if his life depended on it last year.  Whiffed a couple of times in PS games this year.  I still don't know what they see in the guy, but I hope he shows it tonight!!

Our OL being weak(er) is offset by HAMs being weaker too.  Who's is weakest??

Our DL gets beefier with Jeffcoat and Hansen both in.  HAM DL gets beefier with (lowlife) Wynn returning.  I think ours is stronger, but HAM can't be scoffed at.

Never go full Rider!
bwiser

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2022, 09:36:50 PM »

Hmmm... white t-shirts on a rainy day... I'll just leave that thought here.

Was going to get a Walby Burger tonight, but if its going to rain, probably not the best choice, no cover 3 rows up from the field.

We make the best second half adjustments of any team, so keeping it close the first half will be the key to the game.

Hopefully we don't see any issues at C, high snaps, wrong snap count, etc, can be both dangerous for field position, and opening up ZC to hits.  I really hope if something bad happens on the exchange, he just hits the turf and takes the loss.  No heroics tonight, please.

Excited to see Hansen back in the lineup, and what he can bring, both on D and ST.  You can bet he's going to be revving at the redline tonight.

Could be a giant wet t-shirt contest tonight. Hansen is a special teams demon!
NewBlue

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2022, 10:05:15 PM »

Houston starting over Rose means HAM attacks weak side all night long.  They'll prey on Houston like there's no tomorrow.  Couldn't wrap up a tackle if his life depended on it last year.  Whiffed a couple of times in PS games this year.  I still don't know what they see in the guy, but I hope he shows it tonight!!

Our OL being weak(er) is offset by HAMs being weaker too.  Who's is weakest??

Our DL gets beefier with Jeffcoat and Hansen both in.  HAM DL gets beefier with (lowlife) Wynn returning.  I think ours is stronger, but HAM can't be scoffed at.

Was Houston so bad?  Miller was terrible when he got in.
the.inkster

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2022, 11:16:01 PM »

So Reinbold called out Simoni Lawrence for not making enough big plays. Blue oline better be ready to protect ZC from one of the dirtiest players in the league...
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2022, 11:23:56 PM »

Kickoff is now 8pm.

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2022, 11:47:08 PM »

Half time will only be 10 minutes tonight.

dd

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2022, 12:14:18 AM »

Great start for our passing game?46 yder to Ellingson, running game-egad!!
dd

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2022, 12:21:57 AM »

Dobson looked like a pylon on that last play, 11 yard loss

« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 12:25:57 AM by dd » Logged
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2022, 12:35:35 AM »

Secondary looking suspect again
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2022, 12:54:13 AM »

Geoff gray. 

Dumb penalty. Drive killer.  Not the Bomber way
dd

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2022, 12:57:15 AM »

It was a chintzy call, but ya, dumb play. No need for that, it?s tough enough trying to move the ball, dumb unnecessary penalties kill a drive every time.
dd

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2022, 01:01:43 AM »

Olivera is not moving the ball, when does JA get a crack at it??? Ridiculous
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2022, 01:04:09 AM »

Mos needs to chew these guys a new one about these penalties. 
PurpleReign

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2022, 01:06:48 AM »

Olivera is not moving the ball, when does JA get a crack at it??? Ridiculous

Augustine has been in on some series.
Pete

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2022, 01:11:20 AM »

On the missed fg...i get th ere is a holding call but why is the ball placed on the 5 yd line when we gave up the point?
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2022, 01:12:15 AM »

On the missed fg...i get th ere is a holding call but why is the ball placed on the 5 yd line when we gave up the point?

They took the point away
Blue72

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2022, 01:15:05 AM »

Why doesn't Buck call a play to the outside instead of going into the middle where everyone is waiting for the runner
PurpleReign

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2022, 01:26:27 AM »

Why doesn't Buck call a play to the outside instead of going into the middle where everyone is waiting for the runner

Stupid play calling. Needs to get the ball to Augustine off tackle or sweep.
Blue In BC

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2022, 01:29:58 AM »

Augustine 1 carry for 1 yard.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Stats Junkie

Unofficial Blue Bombers Historian

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2022, 01:31:29 AM »

on a return, if there is a penalty while the ball is in goal, the option is to negate the point and apply the penalty from the 10 yard line.

@Stats_Junkie
Pete

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2022, 01:35:11 AM »

Buck is being more creative overall in this game, but I agree that 2nd and three giving the ball to Olivera hasn't worked at all, I have no idea why they refuse to give Augustine more of a chance
Blue72

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2022, 01:47:21 AM »

With Hammy rushing 6 guys why doesn't Buck or Collaros have a quick pass to make hammy pay
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2022, 01:49:11 AM »

No time for Zach. 
PurpleReign

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2022, 01:51:03 AM »

Stupid dump offs to Brady. Those have to go to Augustine in space.
Tiger

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2022, 01:57:13 AM »

How was that not PI?

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
Pete

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2022, 01:57:42 AM »

We should have challenged that one!
Blue72

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2022, 02:01:08 AM »

If we loose another Nat receiver do we go with a double backfield
dd

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2022, 02:02:10 AM »

#3 from Hamilton cannot be blocking a linebacker on a passing play?that?s an illegal block downfield, a high school call!!! Where do they get these refs!?!? Field judge fell asleep on that play!!
dd

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2022, 02:03:53 AM »

If we loose another Nat receiver do we go with a double backfield
Not sure they will bring Augustine off the bench even if we re short!!! We ve got to give the guy the rock and see what he can do, he?s faster and more elusive than BO, why we aren?t even trying it is beyond me
Blue72

« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2022, 02:08:52 AM »

What do we have for receivers if Demski is gone for one game
dd

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2022, 02:10:01 AM »

Legghio is having a good game tonight, outkicking his counterpart, it?s been a while since we could say that!,
Pete

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2022, 02:18:12 AM »

Back to the old Buck play calling
Pete

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2022, 02:22:58 AM »

Willie!  WIllie!  Willie!
PurpleReign

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2022, 02:33:28 AM »

Hamilton kicking a useless field goal. Stupid decision as they still need 2 scores. Smh
Blue72

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2022, 02:52:58 AM »

Its not that bombers offence was good but Evans was real bad. Our offense still needs a lot of work.
Blue In BC

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2022, 02:55:09 AM »

Another somewhat ugly game. Another win. 3 - 0 Check. Next.

Houston played well and made the hit that resulted in the pic 6 by Jefferson.

Bighill's hit caused the 2nd int. The guy was all over the field!

We won TOP by nearly 13 minutes. That will generally win you the game. After the 1st Q, the Bombers took over on defence. Offence took a little longer.

Did less things wrong this week but took a few too many bad penalties. Need to clean that up.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Blue In BC

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2022, 02:56:44 AM »

Not sure they will bring Augustine off the bench even if we re short!!! We ve got to give the guy the rock and see what he can do, he?s faster and more elusive than BO, why we aren?t even trying it is beyond me

Augustine 2 carries, 3 yards total. Our OL is not opening holes and our RB's both have to run into a crowd and it's often behind or near LOS.

Hamilton like Ottawa played very well defensively. Our OL needs more work and our play calling more creativity.

Demski getting nicked but it didn't look serious. That said not sure he can play next game. If not we have the option to start another import, possibly Harrison off the PR. We do have 10 days before our road game in Toronto.

BTW: So much for them talking last night about the Riders having the best defence. Bombers crushed it tonight and only gave up 3 points in the 2nd half. We rule the 2nd half.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 03:07:02 AM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
CrazyCanuck89

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2022, 03:09:53 AM »

Augustine 2 carries, 3 yards total. Our OL is not opening holes and our RB's both have to run into a crowd and it's often behind or near LOS.

Hamilton like Ottawa played very well defensively. Our OL needs more work and our play calling more creativity.

Demski getting nicked but it didn't look serious. That said not sure he can play next game. If not we have the option to start another import, possibly Harrison off the PR. We do have 10 days before our road game in Toronto.

BTW: So much for them talking last night about the Riders having the best defence. Bombers crushed it tonight and only gave up 3 points in the 2nd half. We rule the 2nd half.

I think O'Leary Orange gets the start next game.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2022, 03:21:59 AM »

if Demski cant go, we will go 4 American receivers next week.
Pigskin

« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2022, 03:23:38 AM »

I think O'Leary Orange gets the start next game.

He played well.

dd

« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2022, 03:39:07 AM »

Our O line is junk, so swing the fast back out of the backfield and give him he ball in open space. Duh Buck, it ain?t that hard to figure out, but obviously you can?t. Our O line couldn?t block a sneeze for cripesakes. We used to swing the ball out to Harris in space all the time, why aren?t we doing that now??
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2022, 04:29:46 AM »

Fun Night at the park. The white out worked. Grin

TecnoGenius

« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2022, 05:24:31 AM »

Was Houston so bad?  Miller was terrible when he got in.

Houston was improved.  He still whiffed on 1 tackle tonight, but others were there to back him up.  And like others said, he forced the fumble/INT.  As I've said, he's always in the right place, seems to hit big, but still trouble wrapping up.  He had an earlier "tackle" that was really just a great whack to the guy's knees.  So maybe play more to his style and get him whacking.  And keep working on the wrap-up problem.

Dobson looked like a pylon on that last play, 11 yard loss

Dobson was horrifically awful on that play.  And he was the 6th OL for maxpro!!  But I'm pretty sure that was his first regular season CFL snap??  He'll learn.

Fun Night at the park. The white out worked. Grin

It did, didn't it!  Cheesy Cheesy  Got in HAM's head early.  And enough % of fans were wearing white that it showed.  However, too many empty blue seats tempered the effect.  Walk-up crowd was way down because of weather.

Never go full Rider!
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2022, 10:57:08 AM »

Houston was improved.  He still whiffed on 1 tackle tonight, but others were there to back him up.  And like others said, he forced the fumble/INT.  As I've said, he's always in the right place, seems to hit big, but still trouble wrapping up.  He had an earlier "tackle" that was really just a great whack to the guy's knees.  So maybe play more to his style and get him whacking.  And keep working on the wrap-up problem.

Dobson was horrifically awful on that play.  And he was the 6th OL for maxpro!!  But I'm pretty sure that was his first regular season CFL snap??  He'll learn.

It did, didn't it!  Cheesy Cheesy  Got in HAM's head early.  And enough % of fans were wearing white that it showed.  However, too many empty blue seats tempered the effect.  Walk-up crowd was way down because of weather.

no lines anywhere though. So that was very nice.

Blue In BC

« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2022, 02:02:24 PM »

Just re-watched the game. As broadcasters have been saying, the Bombers KNOW how to win. It's something between the ears that is not the easiest to explain. When a big play is needed, somebody seems to make it. A lot of it comes down to very good discipline and coaching. Pursuit, gang tackling etc etc. It can come in many forms.

Any number of players could be marked as making THAT play yesterday but we know that games are won or lost on a handful of plays. Making more of those than the opponent is the trick.

In the last couple of weeks I'm going to mention Demski as one of those players that have made critical plays both big and small but consequential. Last week is was getting 8 yards when it looked like a loss behind the LOS. Last night he made several but that catch on the 1 yard line just before half time essentially sealed the fate of the Ti Cats.

It wasn't an easy reception by any description.

Jefferson, Bighill, Liegghio, Collaros and many others stood tall.

Kudos to the team. 3 - 0

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2022, 02:02:40 PM »

Our O line is junk, so swing the fast back out of the backfield and give him he ball in open space. Duh Buck, it ain?t that hard to figure out, but obviously you can?t. Our O line couldn?t block a sneeze for cripesakes. We used to swing the ball out to Harris in space all the time, why aren?t we doing that now??

Buck wants to show that he's not beholden to LaPo's playbook.....that's all I got.
blue_gold_84

GC108 Champions!

« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2022, 02:09:14 PM »

Buck wants to show that he's not beholden to LaPo's playbook.....that's all I got.

Except that play was used last season when Pierce was OC and Harris was here.

I think it has more to do with changes to the O-line. The run blocking down the middle seems considerably inferior to previous seasons.

Anyway, solid win last night. Offense still has consistency issues but the defense looks to have turned a corner with last night's performance. If the latter can maintain that level of play, it'll give the offense more opportunities to iron out whatever wrinkles still exist and get into form similar to what we saw last season.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 02:12:38 PM by blue_gold_84 » Logged

#forthew
#defendthecup

Back-to-back Grey Cup Champions!

Slava Ukraini!
TBURGESS

« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2022, 02:21:59 PM »

The defence looked great, but you have to remember that Hamilton only had 1 OL playing his own spot. That allowed us to get pressure with 3 or 4 rushers and forced Evans to throw quick or throw it away.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2022, 03:21:05 PM »

Sure hope Demski ok ok to play against his old mate Harris on July the 4th! We need him in there making plays.

Blue In BC

« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2022, 03:21:33 PM »

The defence looked great, but you have to remember that Hamilton only had 1 OL playing his own spot. That allowed us to get pressure with 3 or 4 rushers and forced Evans to throw quick or throw it away.

Yes and no. We've given up 41 points in 3 games and very few points in the 2nd half of any game. Even early in the season, every team is dealing with injury issues on the OL and RB in particular.

I think we have D. Evans number on speed dial. He must dread playing Winnipeg.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2022, 03:32:51 PM »

Except that play was used last season when Pierce was OC and Harris was here.

I think it has more to do with changes to the O-line. The run blocking down the middle seems considerably inferior to previous seasons.

Anyway, solid win last night. Offense still has consistency issues but the defense looks to have turned a corner with last night's performance. If the latter can maintain that level of play, it'll give the offense more opportunities to iron out whatever wrinkles still exist and get into form similar to what we saw last season.

True, but notice how A.H.'s receptions fell from 70 in 2019, to 11 in 2021, the RB slipping out of the backfield is not a staple of Buck's playbook.  It could also be Zach that wants to go more downfield with the passing attack and not bother with the nickel and dime gains.  Sask. seems to have picked up on the slip-slidin' strategy and has demonstrated the most effective running attack so far this season.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2022, 03:38:34 PM »

Yes and no. We've given up 41 points in 3 games and very few points in the 2nd half of any game. Even early in the season, every team is dealing with injury issues on the OL and RB in particular.

I think we have D. Evans number on speed dial. He must dread playing Winnipeg.

Agree, Evans was beyond frustrated, not a good look for a QB, Fajardo has the same problem of revealing his emotions when things are not going well.
theaardvark

« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2022, 03:43:51 PM »

Weird thing was, the one OL playing in his normal position, who is a 3 time all CFL allstar, was the one that got multiple penalties...  

Sure, the oline was an issue, but it certainly revealed Evans shortcomings, and Condell didn't give him any help with his playcalling.  Masoli 0-2, Evans 0-3... but Masoli looked a lot better in his starts.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2022, 03:46:04 PM »

Agree, Evans was beyond frustrated, not a good look for a QB, Fajardo has the same problem of revealing his emotions when things are not going well.
what did he do or say?

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2022, 04:00:46 PM »

Just rewatching the game. The DL and LB were just outstanding in getting Evans kitchen. Jeffcoat and Wilson were beastly!

Ellingson with a couple beautiful high traffic catches. Demski amazing 1 yard line catch.

We again are not giving to ball in whatever fashion to Johnny Aug!

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2022, 04:38:08 PM »

what did he do or say?

It certainly looked like he wanted to rage/explode in the 3rd and 4th Q when the Bomber D began to exert their dominance, but to Evans credit he held it in check.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2022, 08:04:30 PM »

Man Demski looked upset  when that happened. Really bad break to get it turned on. Hopefully he is in TO. Fingers crossed.

dd

« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2022, 08:19:40 PM »

The checkdown to the back is a standard play in every teams playbook. It doesn?t have to be the feature play, but when you?re O line is as weak as ours is, you have to get the ball into your RB hands in space and the staff asiest way of doing that is swing pass out of the backfield. It?s a viable option. Buck is just being stupid , stubborn, or both.
Pete

« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2022, 10:56:17 PM »

It certainly looked like he wanted to rage/explode in the 3rd and 4th Q when the Bomber D began to exert their dominance, but to Evans credit he held it in check.
Evans is the worst qb in league in terms of throwing passes to recievers that makes them susceptible to big hits Then he gets upset when it results in a turnover

« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 10:57:58 PM by Pete » Logged
Tiger

« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2022, 01:10:14 AM »

Just re-watched the game. As broadcasters have been saying, the Bombers KNOW how to win. It's something between the ears that is not the easiest to explain. When a big play is needed, somebody seems to make it. A lot of it comes down to very good discipline and coaching. Pursuit, gang tackling etc etc. It can come in many forms.

Any number of players could be marked as making THAT play yesterday but we know that games are won or lost on a handful of plays. Making more of those than the opponent is the trick.

In the last couple of weeks I'm going to mention Demski as one of those players that have made critical plays both big and small but consequential. Last week is was getting 8 yards when it looked like a loss behind the LOS. Last night he made several but that catch on the 1 yard line just before half time essentially sealed the fate of the Ti Cats.

It wasn't an easy reception by any description.

Jefferson, Bighill, Liegghio, Collaros and many others stood tall.

Kudos to the team. 3 - 0

Agree

I thought that Collaros was off.  I know I will take it on. The chin for saying that and we do not know sometimes if it was the receiver making the mistake and Collaros was getting more pressure than the last two seasons.  That said there were at least 6 through a that seemed off and he had problems with longer throw accuracy compared to the past.  That said he had good numbers, won and I hope this is rust.

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2022, 12:41:24 PM »

Agree

I thought that Collaros was off.  I know I will take it on. The chin for saying that and we do not know sometimes if it was the receiver making the mistake and Collaros was getting more pressure than the last two seasons.  That said there were at least 6 through a that seemed off and he had problems with longer throw accuracy compared to the past.  That said he had good numbers, won and I hope this is rust.
Please agree he was off Parts of the game but the reports the game who is definitely bang on as well. I don?t think we can use the excuse rust any longer too deep into the season. Too many practice sessions, enough games to say rust is a non-factor anymore

Blue In BC

« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2022, 03:18:49 PM »

Anybody notice any injuries on Friday? I didn't see any besides Demski but with 10 days he should be good to go? It was a very physical game from both teams.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
3rdand1.5

« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2022, 03:35:44 PM »

While T.O got ripped part against BC they were very physical. Let's hope that 10 days rest recharges our guys....

MBT was very upset to get the bench....he is emotional a quick defensive performance by us could have his emotions running wild.

We did it well against Dane

I still have concerns along the o-line. They need to be better
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: