Blue Bombers Forum
July 04, 2022, 03:03:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Game Day Thread - Hamilton at Winnipeg June 24, 2022  (Read 2335 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: June 23, 2022, 02:41:31 PM »

Will the Blue Bombers continue the win streak against a team that undoubtedly will be primed and hungry for their first win?

Several line up changes for this game that include...

IN:  #0 Clements, #3 Hansen, #31 Holm, #32 Burtonshaw, #64 Dobson

OUT:  #00 Maruo, #30 Rose, #42 Karamoko, #96 Walker

Blue Bomber Depth Chart...

https://twitter.com/Wpg_BlueBombers/status/1539986651035729925/photo/1

Tiger Cats Depth Chart...

https://twitter.com/EdTaitWFC/status/1540001258085433346/photo/1

Let the game discussions begin!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 06:51:10 PM by ModAdmin » Logged

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
LXTSN

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 03:08:38 PM »

Really hoping that Rose and Walker heal up! Both are important to our defense!

This will be a "prove-yourself" game for Olivera and for Gray.
Olivera needs to make something happen, and not just wait for the O-line to create something for him. O-line obviously needs to do their job, and they are a little short staffed at the moment, but if Olivera can break a few tackles, and run for some more first downs it would help our offence immensely. For the record, I'm still heavily in favor of starting Augustine and mixing in a little BO, but if BO can not stink it up, then I'd be ecstatic!

Gray hasn't exactly had the same quality of opportunities as BO has, but every time he gets into the game, he's missing blocks or getting penalties. At that same time, Dobson is now healthy and ready to take over if Gray can't prove he is starting material. Gray NEEDS to avoid taking any penalties tonight and giving up any sacks. That's a tall order vs Hamilton, but he has to prove that he can play in this league. If not, it's next man up!
CrazyCanuck89

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 03:15:02 PM »

Augustine is good, but your Oline still needs to run block better.  The pass blocking is good, but the run blocking isn't the same as last year.
LXTSN

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 03:35:52 PM »

Augustine is good, but your Oline still needs to run block better.  The pass blocking is good, but the run blocking isn't the same as last year.
I keep hearing this come up and I don't really buy that. It's possible that our run blocking is very slightly worse than last year, but it's marginal.
The biggest difference, is Olivera isn't breaking the first tackle or making guys miss in one on one situations. Harris would always break those tackles and make the OL look good.
We wen't from a good run blocking OL to a pretty good OL, but we wen't from an elite RB to an okay RB. I personally think that's the biggest difference. 
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 03:47:13 PM »

I keep hearing this come up and I don't really buy that. It's possible that our run blocking is very slightly worse than last year, but it's marginal.
The biggest difference, is Olivera isn't breaking the first tackle or making guys miss in one on one situations. Harris would always break those tackles and make the OL look good.
We wen't from a good run blocking OL to a pretty good OL, but we wen't from an elite RB to an okay RB. I personally think that's the biggest difference. 

Disagree. Offensive line run blocking is the major difference so far. That said, small sample size and only one opponent so let's see how things shake out. s
Blue In BC

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 03:48:33 PM »

Augustine was being tackled behind the LOS as well. You're clearly biased towards him. We'll see if either has more success this week.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 03:51:06 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 04:42:12 PM »

Really hoping that Rose and Walker heal up! Both are important to our defense!

This will be a "prove-yourself" game for Olivera and for Gray.
Olivera needs to make something happen, and not just wait for the O-line to create something for him. O-line obviously needs to do their job, and they are a little short staffed at the moment, but if Olivera can break a few tackles, and run for some more first downs it would help our offence immensely. For the record, I'm still heavily in favor of starting Augustine and mixing in a little BO, but if BO can not stink it up, then I'd be ecstatic!

Gray hasn't exactly had the same quality of opportunities as BO has, but every time he gets into the game, he's missing blocks or getting penalties. At that same time, Dobson is now healthy and ready to take over if Gray can't prove he is starting material. Gray NEEDS to avoid taking any penalties tonight and giving up any sacks. That's a tall order vs Hamilton, but he has to prove that he can play in this league. If not, it's next man up!

Some corrections:
Walker is not injured, he is moved to the PR.
Although Dobson technically came from IR, he is not coming from an injury. He was healthy scratch since Week1.

As I mentioned before Dobson will take over that LG spot sooner rather than later. Maybe it will start tomorrow night. 

Honestly, I would rather see Rene come in as the extra DB (instead of Holm) and McRae as 3rd RB/alternate KR (instead of Burtenshaw). I think there is more value to that.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 05:01:41 PM by M.O.A.B. » Logged
LXTSN

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 05:02:31 PM »

Augustine was being tackled behind the LOS as well. You're clearly biased towards him. We'll see if either has more success this week.
You're right. He has also been tacked behind the LOS, but I think he breaks the first tackle more often than BO. I don't think this is a biased take. I would say people who still think BO should start over JA would have to have some sort of biased (hometown boy or young draft pick). I definatley like him better, and I think he has shown that he's the better back right now.

I'm not trying to bash BO, I just think JA is better right now.
LXTSN

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 05:06:38 PM »

Some corrections:
Walker is not injured, he is moved to the PR.
Although Dobson technically came from IR, he is not coming from an injury. He was healthy scratch since Week1.

As I mentioned before Dobson will take over that LG spot sooner rather than later. Maybe it will start tomorrow night. 

Honestly, I would rather see Rene come in as the extra DB (instead of Holm) and McRae as 3rd RB/alternate KR (instead of Burtenshaw). I think there is more value to that.

That's good to hear that Walker isn't hurt, but I'm surprised we took him out of the game! We are slightly low at interior linemen without him.
Totally agree with Rene rather than Holm and McRae rather than Burtenshaw! Really curious to see how or if they plan to use Burtenshaw in the run-game. Maybe a lead-blocker would help our offence out.
Blue In BC

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 05:47:36 PM »

You're right. He has also been tacked behind the LOS, but I think he breaks the first tackle more often than BO. I don't think this is a biased take. I would say people who still think BO should start over JA would have to have some sort of biased (hometown boy or young draft pick). I definatley like him better, and I think he has shown that he's the better back right now.

I'm not trying to bash BO, I just think JA is better right now.

The coaches disagree with you. As has been pointed out repeatedly, there are other factors such as blocking, ball security and ability as a receiver when looking at a given RB choice. I haven't noticed an issue with his blocking but he is 20 lbs lighter and it's possible that he doesn't read the defence as well in making those decisions. IDK. The only certainty is that we need more out of our run game.

You might be right in the long run but at the moment it's conjecture that is in conflict with the coaches choice.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 06:01:43 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Blue In BC

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2022, 06:03:40 PM »

That's good to hear that Walker isn't hurt, but I'm surprised we took him out of the game! We are slightly low at interior linemen without him.
Totally agree with Rene rather than Holm and McRae rather than Burtenshaw! Really curious to see how or if they plan to use Burtenshaw in the run-game. Maybe a lead-blocker would help our offence out.

Can't disagree with any of that but we'll see how this pans out. I thought there might be a possibility this week to see McCrae as well. They choose Clements instead. If Briggs wasn't on the 6 game IR we might have seen a different choice.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pete

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2022, 06:04:28 PM »

The coaches disagree with you. As has been pointed out repeatedly, there are other factors such as blocking, ball security and ability as a receiver when looking at a given RB choice.

You might be right in the long run but at the moment it's conjecture that is in conflict with the coaches choice.
I'm with the Augustine camp on thiis one. Olivera may be closer to a Harris tupe back, but as mentioed hes not breaking that first tackle, and doesn't have that burst when he sees a hole,
Augustine came into the season better prepared. hes stronger than ly and has the speed to take the ball around the outside. With Olivera the other team stacks up the middle hence the low yards per carry, he just too predicatable
 As far as recieving and blocking I haven't seen much of a difference
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 06:06:38 PM by Pete » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2022, 06:09:39 PM »

I'm with the Augustine camp on thiis one. Olivera may be closer to a Harris tupe back, but as mentioed hes not breaking that first tackle, and doesn't have that burst when he sees a hole,
Augustine came into the season better prepared. hes stronger than ly and has the speed to take the ball around the outside. With Olivera the other team stacks up the middle hence the low yards per carry, he just too predicatable
 As far as recieving and blocking I haven't seen much of a difference

Our play calling is very predictable and we don't tend to run outside much. I'd like to see a few more carries for Augustine against the Ti Cats to make that comparison. I have concern about the OL this week and need Gray to improve his play.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2022, 06:14:25 PM »

Uhoh. A sudden and big loss for the Ti-Cats: Revenberg is out.

https://3downnation.com/2022/06/23/all-star-left-guard-brandon-revenberg-ruled-out-for-ticats-week-3-clash-with-bombers/
LXTSN

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2022, 06:17:58 PM »

The coaches disagree with you. As has been pointed out repeatedly, there are other factors such as blocking, ball security and ability as a receiver when looking at a given RB choice.

I'm not here to argue what the coaches think, just what I think. I think the coaches have it wrong, and eventually they will give Augustine more play. I would just like them to try it so they could have there answer sooner lol

Good point. Those factors are all really important!

Blocking - BO is a bigger guy and possibly slightly better although I have nothing to back up either one being better.
Ball Security - Olivera has 1 fumble on 118 carries and Johnny has 0 on 95 carries. Both are seemingly solid at protecting the ball.
Receiving - BO has 21 targets, 14 receptions for 130 yards and 0 TD. JA has 14 targets, 9 catches for 92 yards and 1 TD. Both can catch and get open on dump-offs.

Very similar in all of these stats. I know Johnny will get his chance, I'm just impatient and want to see it sooner!

Regardless, I'm pumped for the Grey Cup rematch! Should be a great game
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: