Als at Argos GDT (Harris debut)

Started by GOLDMEMBER, June 16, 2022, 01:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Pigskin on August 18, 2022, 10:13:13 PM
Bring him back for one game to retire as a Bomber.

That signing makes sense!

GOLDMEMBER

Anything less would be a disappointment.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Anything less is inexcusable.  I also want him to have a Cornish-type role for WFC, be at games sometimes on the sidelines, fan events, etc.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 18, 2022, 11:11:00 PM
Anything less is inexcusable.  I also want him to have a Cornish-type role for WFC, be at games sometimes on the sidelines, fan events, etc.

Do you think this offseason's issues will be that easy to get past?  I'm sure the team has no bad feelings, and would happily invite him back into the fold.  But AH's feeling of betrayal, and his comments about "insulting contract" and his embracing the Argo's makes me wonder if the WFC still has the same place in his heart as it would had he retired last year...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on August 18, 2022, 11:40:57 PM
Do you think this offseason's issues will be that easy to get past?  I'm sure the team has no bad feelings, and would happily invite him back into the fold.  But AH's feeling of betrayal, and his comments about "insulting contract" and his embracing the Argo's makes me wonder if the WFC still has the same place in his heart as it would had he retired last year...

That's all random speculation and invented Aardvark drama. He's just an ancient running back with a ton of miles. Durability is seriously questionable and he's not fast enough for the position.

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 19, 2022, 12:11:36 AM

That's all random speculation and invented Aardvark drama. He's just an ancient running back with a ton of miles. Durability is seriously questionable and he's not fast enough for the position.

It wasn't speculation, it was a *question*.  No doubt the WFC would welcome him "home" on a one day, retirement contract.  But my question was, does AH33 have a spot in his heart for us after the way he felt he was treated?  He seemed pretty upset... does he still live in Winnipeg?  Is that enough?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

DM83

I think Andrew would rather live in Winnipeg than Toronto.  He can establish himself in Winnipeg, based in his reputation as a football player. In Toronto, they probably don't even know who he is, compared to other sports stars, there.

He could even be hired for the coaching staff, or a media relations position, to get him started for life after football.

If he wasn't dissed off with the Bombers contract offer, he wouldn't be a football player( of Hall of Fame stature)

He will be back.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on August 19, 2022, 08:20:06 PM
He could even be hired for the coaching staff, or a media relations position, to get him started for life after football.

He will be back.

Nailed it.  WPG will always love AH.  He will be welcome in any establishment.  He will bring cred to any place using him for ads / spokesman.  AH has an easy in / leg up here for anything he wants to do.  Why not take advantage?
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

Quote from: DM83 on August 19, 2022, 08:20:06 PM
I think Andrew would rather live in Winnipeg than Toronto.  He can establish himself in Winnipeg, based in his reputation as a football player. In Toronto, they probably don't even know who he is, compared to other sports stars, there.

If he wasn't dissed off with the Bombers contract offer, he wouldn't be a football player( of Hall of Fame stature)

He will be back.

He has already started his after life football career. Investing in commercial building and selling vehicles at Mid Town Ford.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

The Zipp

Quote from: The Zipp on August 16, 2022, 11:53:35 PM
Pretty close.  He will be rested up for the playoffs and get TO into the Grey Cup.

Not far off..

I do think he will retire after today.

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 18, 2022, 09:02:25 PM
Why not?  Ya, bridge probably burned.  But if the two sides can overlook that, why not hire AH on a pay-per-game basis only?  He plays, he gets paid well.  He's hurt, nearly nothing.

You could do worse than have AH in your arsenal just for 2-3 post-season games...

Not talking this year, of course: but next year once he's FA again

It will never happen. It would create too much disruption. If he continues to play, and I hope he does to move up the list, is he stays with TO. I also think if he continues that his body eventually just packs it in. He has been a very physical runner over his career and it takes it toll on the body

theaardvark

No way Harris takes BO20's job, and he won't work for JA27's contract...

Its the perfect time to call it a career.

Have to wonder if he was "randomly" tested after his return to action...just kidding...

blue_or_die

Although Harris got his own 3peat, I'm not mad because it's not like he spent all year running the ball down teams' throats - Grey Cup game included.

Moving on to Brady was a good call and has positive long term ramifications.
#Ride?

Pigskin

Quote from: blue_or_die on November 21, 2022, 09:36:42 PM
Although Harris got his own 3peat, I'm not mad because it's not like he spent all year running the ball down teams' throats - Grey Cup game included.

Moving on to Brady was a good call and has positive long term ramifications.

Totally agree, AH33 had a good 1st. quarter, and decent 1st. half, but in the second half we totally shut him down. BO20 had a very good game, just needs to improve his pass blocking a little more.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

I wasn't the one who brought this thread back to life, but I will add that I'm happy for AH33, happy he got his revenge, happy he showed he still had it (sort of).  I knew it was fairly likely we'd have a TOR/WPG GC back in the pre-season.  Both teams were the early favorites.

But with what transpired this year, I still would have preferred to keep AH for this season.  At most it would have cost us $80k.  Then he'd be injured early on just like in TOR.  And we'd have played BO20 for most games, just like TOR played AJ.  Then AH could comeback for the playoffs and we could have done a BO20-mostly / AH-RB#2 setup like TOR did.  If we won, AH gets his 3-peat and goes out a Winnipeg hero forever.

It could have been storybook.  And why wasn't it?  Because of $80k and some dickering over nonsense that we could have just overlooked to get the storybook ending.  Smart business sense?  Best player being fielded?  No, probably not.  But I would have preferred it.

In any event, AH is clearly going to retire.  His body is done.  He couldn't even play either playoff game without getting re-injured.  He was on the trainer table each game.  He can't perform like he did before.  Retire a 3-peater and 4 time GC champ.  Hopefully most/much of WPG can forgive him and the fubar situation in the last FA.
Never go full Rider!