Blue Bombers Forum
July 04, 2022, 02:48:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Our Ukraine Family  (Read 666 times)
Pigskin

« on: May 31, 2022, 06:13:27 PM »

So we are one of the fortunate family's in Manitoba to share our home with a Ukraine family. It's been a process but they have been with us now for the past 6 days and so far everything is going very well. The first two days the family pretty much kept to themselves, except for a grocery shopping trip and lesson on how to use the washing machine. Mornings the family spends on there our, and we are not home for lunch most days. However starting on the 3rd. night both family's have been eating supper together.

For the most part all three members of the family speak very good English. Reading and writing for the children is something they are working on. Inna (Mother). has a check list as she knows she is isn't going home anytime soon. Vaccination, job, drivers license, her own apartment. In 6 days, vaccinated, job, and will probably get her drivers license tomorrow as Ukraine has a deal with Manitoba on reciprocal drivers license. I could give her an apartment at one of our apartment blocks, but as she indicated she probably couldn't make the bills right now.

One thing I can tell you about this family is, they want nothing for free. They are willing to work hard for everything they get. 

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
blue_gold_84

GC108 Champions!

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 07:40:36 PM »

Thank you for sharing this and for taking in a family displaced by such atrocious events.

#forthew
#defendthecup

Back-to-back Grey Cup Champions!

Slava Ukraini!
Pigskin

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 08:07:58 PM »

My wife's grandparents lived in the Ukraine until 1955 when they came to Canada and became farmers. Until the war started she still had relatives in a small town called Ustyluh, I hope I spelled that right.

Pigskin

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 04:00:12 AM »

Today Inna got her drivers license. $65 and a photo ID and the deal was done. When out for a little practice this afternoon. This is a big step in giving this family some independence, and getting her to the nursing home when she starts working on June 13th.

Jesse

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 01:00:36 PM »

Today Inna got her drivers license. $65 and a photo ID and the deal was done. When out for a little practice this afternoon. This is a big step in giving this family some independence, and getting her to the nursing home when she starts working on June 13th.

That's amazing.

She got a job?

My wife is amazing!
Pigskin

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 01:18:04 PM »

That's amazing.

She got a job?

She will start work on June 13th. Apparently she was a nurse back in the Ukraine. Right now she has to wait to see if she has the right education to become a nurse in Canada. So she felt the next best thing would be to work at a nursing home because they need staff right now.

Jesse

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 01:38:04 PM »

Awesome.

Just a great thing you guys are doing.

My wife is amazing!
Pigskin

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 05:18:01 PM »

Big morning. Doctor's app. Everything went well and they like there new Doctor so that should workout well.

Then off to our Dentist. That didn't go as well. Both Children need a couple of filling and a cleaning. Mom needs a couple of fillings and a tooth pulled, and a good cleaning. I told the receptionist to bill us for the work, and we set up appointments. 20 minutes later my wife got a text from the receptionist saying that the office will be covering the work for the family, and any other work they need for the next year. I can tell you that brought tears to my eyes. So may nice people helping to get this family and ours in Winnipeg settled into there new life.

theaardvark

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 05:22:34 PM »

Big morning. Doctor's app. Everything went well and they like there new Doctor so that should workout well.

Then off to our Dentist. That didn't go as well. Both Children need a couple of filling and a cleaning. Mom needs a couple of fillings and a tooth pulled, and a good cleaning. I told the receptionist to bill us for the work, and we set up appointments. 20 minutes later my wife got a text from the receptionist saying that the office will be covering the work for the family, and any other work they need for the next year. I can tell you that brought tears to my eyes. So may nice people helping to get this family and ours in Winnipeg settled into there new life.

Not sure if you dentist would like the recognition for their generosity, or if they need any business, but I am sure there are a lot of people here looking for dental work that might like to reward them with business to help cover the costs they are absorbing. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pigskin

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2022, 06:11:51 PM »

I wouldn't even ask him that because he doesn't do stuff like this for the attention or to build his business. We are all just trying to help these family's adapt to a new country and a new life.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 08:15:22 PM by Pigskin » Logged

theaardvark

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2022, 07:02:31 PM »

I would even ask him that because he does do stuff like this for the attention or to build his business. We are all just trying to help these family's adapt to a new country and a new life.

Not sure I understand your post... I assume you meant wouldn't and doesn't... 

It is not surprising, but refreshing, the number of stories we are hearing about how these refugees are being accepted and assisted in our communities. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pigskin

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2022, 03:14:42 AM »

33 days since Inna has spoken to her husband. We can tell this is weighing very heavy on her mind. She puts on a brave face for the kids. She told us tonight, my husband is either dead or is in a prison camp. He was a factory worker, not a soldier. I don't think he fired a gun before the war. I can not watch CNN, I can not. I don't want to see what Putin is getting away with any more. Some days I want to quit, but I have children I must push on. All I have left are my children.

It's one thing to watch it on TV. totally different to have someone sitting in your living room that lived in a bomb shelter and has lost so many friends and family. Sad, just so sad.   

Jesse

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2022, 10:26:43 PM »

I can't imagine.

My wife is amazing!
blue_gold_84

GC108 Champions!

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2022, 12:58:18 PM »

What a depressing world.

#forthew
#defendthecup

Back-to-back Grey Cup Champions!

Slava Ukraini!
Pigskin

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2022, 06:15:15 PM »

33 days since Inna has spoken to her husband. We can tell this is weighing very heavy on her mind. She puts on a brave face for the kids. She told us tonight, my husband is either dead or is in a prison camp. He was a factory worker, not a soldier. I don't think he fired a gun before the war. I can not watch CNN, I can not. I don't want to see what Putin is getting away with any more. Some days I want to quit, but I have children I must push on. All I have left are my children.

It's one thing to watch it on TV. totally different to have someone sitting in your living room that lived in a bomb shelter and has lost so many friends and family. Sad, just so sad.   

39 days now. Just got word that he was wounded, but in Poland now. Apparently he will have to spend 30-45 days there before he can come to Canada. Small chance he mite have been exposed to a chemical. Inna doesn't know yet, but my wife is planning on buying two tickets and fly with her to Poland to see her husband in about 10 days. We have already contacted the nursing home and they give her the time off to see her husband. Lots of tear, this time there tears of joy.

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: