Who is "Genius Sports" and why have then been given partnership in the CFL?

Started by theaardvark, March 17, 2022, 03:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

https://calgarysun.com/sports/football/cfl/what-is-genius-sports-randy-ambrosie-opens-up-about-cfls-new-partner

The partnership itself. It?s worth noting the CFL could have simply paid Genius for its services. Instead, the league created a new arm called CFL Ventures that will share commercial revenue. Genius was given equity in that part of the league?s business. ?We moved a good portion of our commercial assets named CFL Ventures. Our broadcast rights, our sponsorship revenues all go into that bucket and Genius is a partner in that business,? Ambrosie said. ?Through the lens of a partner, they want us to use all of their technology because the more we can grow that business, the more successful that partnership will be.?

What the heck?  The league puts most of its liquidity into a bucket and lets Genius swim in it?  What % equity do they have?  What guarantees of "investment of technology" will the CFL get back?  Will that tech increase revenues to the point that the Genius portion is covered by the growth?  What is the time frame for this to become revenue positive?  Do we have a guarantee that it will, and if it does not, we can buy Genius back out for $1?

I am shocked and disturbed, especially with the news that Genius wants 4 downs (no doubt it fits their tech better, and they couldn't give two craps about what three downs mean to Canadians).
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

BLUEBOMBER

CFL has a huge problem marketing itself to younger fans and lacks the ability and funds to do a better job.

In markets like Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal, even soccer is becoming more popular.

Sec227

Quote from: BLUEBOMBER on March 18, 2022, 02:11:11 AM
CFL has a huge problem marketing itself to younger fans and lacks the ability and funds to do a better job.

In markets like Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal, even soccer is becoming more popular.

Why are these guys going to share "commercial revenue"? Maybe split some more revenue with the plyers in the next CBA. Attract some more talent. Need to better align with USports, the future of the sport is there. AND , some younger fans.

theaardvark

So, NOTHING has happened so far in this arrangement that we fans can use.

https://press.cfl.ca/cfl-and-genius-sports-unveil-cutting-edge-official-data-and-technology-ecosystem#

Why?

I just emailed

lbarrett@cfl.ca

and

chris.dougan@geniussports.com

No, I don't think my little email will get them to do anything, but every voice can make a difference...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

pjrocksmb

TecnoGenius

Quote from: pjrocksmb on September 03, 2023, 06:35:32 AM
Someone should get fired for this and I don't know who it is

If you can't find the peon to fire, then the buck stops with the top guy.  That's Ambrosie.

In any event, if you're the CFL, wouldn't you have written deliverables into your Genius contract??  If they were to provide a working web stats system, then that should have been a deliverable and this failure should cost them a large monetary penalty, to come directly out of their expected 10% cut.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 06, 2023, 09:09:40 AM
If you can't find the peon to fire, then the buck stops with the top guy.  That's Ambrosie.

In any event, if you're the CFL, wouldn't you have written deliverables into your Genius contract??  If they were to provide a working web stats system, then that should have been a deliverable and this failure should cost them a large monetary penalty, to come directly out of their expected 10% cut.

A quick gander at the the gametracker for this past weekend reveals no stats. recorded, I sure hope there's some screaming going on at this point in the season, but I doubt "Genius" even answers their phones.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Stats. are back up! Although only 2023 is listed, they look much the same as they did previously.

https://www.cfl.ca/stats/

peg_city

DCM

Oliveira 280 yards up on second place is just wild to me. Go get another hundo+ tomorrow.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DCM on September 09, 2023, 01:01:13 AM
Oliveira 280 yards up on second place is just wild to me. Go get another hundo+ tomorrow.

Definitely a hundo.  Because it'll be the hoggies who are most fired up for revenge.  They'll be bulldozing SSK defenders all night like they are ants, clearing a nice path for Brady.  And Brady will go into his bully-ball mode and not give up on any play.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

bunker

Stats are still an embarrassment. Listing same players multiple times, if their totals from the previous game were high enough to make the list. Just terrible. Don't put them out til you've fixed all the bugs. I can't believe a professional league and an apparently professional company are so inept.

3rdand1.5

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bunker on September 10, 2023, 09:20:56 PM
Stats are still an embarrassment. Listing same players multiple times, if their totals from the previous game were high enough to make the list. Just terrible. Don't put them out til you've fixed all the bugs. I can't believe a professional league and an apparently professional company are so inept.

The current computer programming model is to release early and often, with bugs and all.  Get it out there and get early feedback.  If you see a bug, find the contact/report button and tell them.  I love end user bug reports, because most of the time we have no idea they are there.

But yes, the debacle that is Genius Sports and CFL stats is inexcusable this late in the season.
Never go full Rider!