USFL / Derrick Jones

Started by theaardvark, March 04, 2022, 05:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 05, 2022, 06:45:53 PM
We got Nichols from the XFL and he's as good as they come. Solid DB. There were a few very good players that made the transition to the CFL from the XFL.

At the moment there is no agreement for a CFL opt out after the 1st season. Bigger question is does the league survive to season 2 and if so how big a change do teams see in their rosters.

A player cut by one team made land elsewhere or come to Canada.

My question is when do USFL contracts end?  At the end of their season, or do they stretch to the next season like our contracts?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

the paw

Quote from: theaardvark on March 05, 2022, 06:56:00 PM
My question is when do USFL contracts end?  At the end of their season, or do they stretch to the next season like our contracts?

The players sign for one year, with a second year club option and an NFL escape clause.  So, unless they get an NFL offer or are cut, no one currently signed with the USFL will be available until 2024.
grab grass 'n growl

TecnoGenius

Ok, I get the whole XLF/USFL conversation, etc, and it is interesting... but my question is:

Who on earth is Derrick Jones and why do I care?  The thread makes it sound like he's Doug Flutie or the next Mr. Football or something.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on March 05, 2022, 08:32:46 PM
Ok, I get the whole XLF/USFL conversation, etc, and it is interesting... but my question is:

Who on earth is Derrick Jones and why do I care?  The thread makes it sound like he's Doug Flutie or the next Mr. Football or something.

We need to have an agreement with the USFL to honour our contracts. Their season will be on going as we approach CFL TC and we don't want them signing players we intended to bring to a CFL camp.

Jones might have been the 1st player cut or been a good player. Ditto for any other player that does this.

We'll have to watch how he does but it's 1 player so far out of 400 or so drafted by the USFL. Inconsequential unless it continues.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TBURGESS

Quote from: theaardvark on March 05, 2022, 03:05:32 PM
Yes, you have the facts straight.  But, remember there are "alternate facts" now.  That, plus the spin that football contracts are not guaranteed from the team side, just the players side, which player advocates constantly compare to... slavery.  A completely unfair comparison, but one that garners sympathy for the player immediately.

Just curious, are there clauses in the CFL players contract about having a valid passport, and whose responsibility it is to acquire/confirm work eligibility?  It would seem wise that there be some definition of who is responsible, and what the repercussions are for a player who cannot get across the border.  I wonder if there are other "outs" as well, medical, vaccination, etc...
'Alternate facts' is just another way of saying lies. Spin doesn't matter. Folks shouldn't waste their sympathy on a player who made a 'mistake on purpose'. IE: Fraudulently signing a USFL contract. The CFL contract was legally signed, so it's the one that counts.

I don't know or care about the clauses in the CFL contract and it doesn't really matter. The key is that the USFL runs April 16 to mid June while the CFL TC starts June 9. Calgary can and should wait until just before TC to give any player an out for not being able to cross the boarder (Or they could help the player), or No-Vax, or Medical. By that time, it's too late to go to the USFL.  
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

theaardvark

Quote from: TBURGESS on March 05, 2022, 09:26:57 PM
'Alternate facts' is just another way of saying lies. Spin doesn't matter. Folks shouldn't waste their sympathy on a player who made a 'mistake on purpose'. IE: Fraudulently signing a USFL contract. The CFL contract was legally signed, so it's the one that counts.

I don't know or care about the clauses in the CFL contract and it doesn't really matter. The key is that the USFL runs April 16 to mid June while the CFL TC starts June 9. Calgary can and should wait until just before TC to give any player an out for not being able to cross the boarder (Or they could help the player), or No-Vax, or Medical. By that time, it's too late to go to the USFL.  

I get the sentiment, but do we want to be antagonistic to other leagues, or co-operative.  Do we want players to think the CFL is a bad league to sign with, or a good opportunity. 

How the league deals with this issue will be important for future perception, it has very little to do with Derrick Jones and his ability or lack thereof. 

We want players to want to come here, both for the opportunity to play, earn a living, grow as a player and potentially have an NFL opportunity.  If that never materializes but they manage to have a long career as a CFL player, that's good for us.  If the CFL gets painted as a league that takes advantage of its contracts to freeze players out of other opportunities, that's not good PR.  So its a fine balance between the decisions to hold him to his deal, and get rid of what is going to be a bad PR situation, especially if he gets cut in/before TC.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TBURGESS

Quote from: theaardvark on March 05, 2022, 09:52:26 PM
I get the sentiment, but do we want to be antagonistic to other leagues, or co-operative.  Do we want players to think the CFL is a bad league to sign with, or a good opportunity. 

How the league deals with this issue will be important for future perception, it has very little to do with Derrick Jones and his ability or lack thereof. 

We want players to want to come here, both for the opportunity to play, earn a living, grow as a player and potentially have an NFL opportunity.  If that never materializes but they manage to have a long career as a CFL player, that's good for us.  If the CFL gets painted as a league that takes advantage of its contracts to freeze players out of other opportunities, that's not good PR.  So its a fine balance between the decisions to hold him to his deal, and get rid of what is going to be a bad PR situation, especially if he gets cut in/before TC.
You're right, it's not about Jones. Do we want our contracts to mean anything? Do we want players signing with the CFL then taking a 'better offer' in another league? Would you want Callaros to ignore his contract if he got a better deal? Of course not.

Jesse

Quote from: TBURGESS on March 06, 2022, 02:59:59 PM
You're right, it's not about Jones. Do we want our contracts to mean anything? Do we want players signing with the CFL then taking a 'better offer' in another league? Would you want Callaros to ignore his contract if he got a better deal? Of course not.

This is it. This is cut and dry.

He signed a contract and needs to honour it.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on March 06, 2022, 03:26:48 PM
This is it. This is cut and dry.

He signed a contract and needs to honour it.

In theory yes but in reality it's not that clear. CFL contracts are not guaranteed. Players sign contracts for TC every season across the CFL and are released before they even make it to TC.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TBURGESS

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 06, 2022, 04:00:25 PM
In theory yes but in reality it's not that clear. CFL contracts are not guaranteed. Players sign contracts for TC every season across the CFL and are released before they even make it to TC.
In reality, a contract is a contract. The CFL contracts allow teams to release players, not the other way around. If players don't like the contract, then they shouldn't sign it.

theaardvark

The end of this saga....  a whimper... and now he is on the PR on New Orleans...

https://3downnation.com/2022/04/15/former-nfl-draft-pick-derrick-jones-signs-in-usfl-after-quiet-release-from-stampeders/

While the Stampeders have not formally announced the move, the CFL?s transactions page indicates that the team quietly released the disgruntled Jones on April 8. The move came more than a month after the Ole Miss product made noise for publicly calling out the team after they refused his request to be allowed to play in the nascent spring league.