Blue Bombers Forum
September 30, 2022, 09:49:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pick Your Player  (Read 5036 times)
bomb squad

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 03:07:49 AM »

Bo Levi Mitchell. (Yes, I would start Collaros).
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2022, 05:10:50 PM »

Lauther

Lauther is actually a F.A., he's a Natl. and one of the best F.G. kickers in the CFL right now at age 31.  Nothing could hurt the Riders worse than stealing him away and forcing them to find a replacement in a short time span like the Bombers struggled to do last season.  They may not fully realize it, but a body blow so well executed would compare favourably to stealing Willie J. away from them in 2019.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 05:43:26 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
road griller

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2022, 08:01:03 PM »

Lauther is actually a F.A., he's a Natl. and one of the best F.G. kickers in the CFL right now at age 31.  Nothing could hurt the Riders worse than stealing him away and forcing them to find a replacement in a short time span like the Bombers struggled to do last season.  They may not fully realize it, but a body blow so well executed would compare favourably to stealing Willie J. away from them in 2019.

Exactly! 

Can't go wrong when you go long!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2022, 03:17:57 AM »

Lauther NAT??  How did I not know this?  Helps with the roster, but not the "starting 7", no?  So we still need to field that extra NAT D or someone else on O.  NAT K just buys as an extra DI.

So, meh, a top-line "starting 7" NAT is a better grab than a NAT K.

Never go full Rider!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2022, 03:32:15 AM »

Lauther NAT??  How did I not know this?  Helps with the roster, but not the "starting 7", no?  So we still need to field that extra NAT D or someone else on O.  NAT K just buys as an extra DI.

So, meh, a top-line "starting 7" NAT is a better grab than a NAT K.

I'm not too worried about the ratio, they should have enough Natl. talent to cover it.  More concerned with having to go through the same ordeal they went through with the kicking game last year, if Castillo decides to try the NFL again.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2022, 02:42:53 PM »

On the free-agent list, I would love to have WR Jake Wieneke and/or WR Bryan Burnham.

If we can trade for someone, I would like DL Shawn Oakman, (specially if Stove will not be back). That mountain of a man (6.09) will be monster in the middle of the 2 Jeffs.   
Pigskin

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2022, 03:52:46 PM »

Williams and Henry from the Riders are both FA's. Henry is a Canadian DL and had a very good year for the Riders. Williams is a big play making receiver.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 04:00:20 PM »

Williams and Henry from the Riders are both FA's. Henry is a Canadian DL and had a very good year for the Riders. Williams is a big play making receiver.

Same Williams who poke BA in the eye during WF?
theaardvark

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2022, 04:07:11 PM »

FA lists, especially day one, are expensive places to find players...

After day one, or even noon day one, there will be "bargains" to be had.  Players that pulled the trigger too late after teams signed another player with the same skillset.  

I wonder how many of these groups are out there... Burnham/Weineke/Lawler  might be one, first to sign might get the best deal, but if there are too many "buyers", as availability declines, price goes up.  Does the second tier ask rise once first tier are gone?  

All way above my paygrade, and I trust totally in KW and Co. to weed through chaff and winnow out our next GC champion team...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2022, 04:30:29 PM »

FA lists, especially day one, are expensive places to find players...

After day one, or even noon day one, there will be "bargains" to be had.  Players that pulled the trigger too late after teams signed another player with the same skillset.  

I wonder how many of these groups are out there... Burnham/Weineke/Lawler  might be one, first to sign might get the best deal, but if there are too many "buyers", as availability declines, price goes up.  Does the second tier ask rise once first tier are gone?  

All way above my paygrade, and I trust totally in KW and Co. to weed through chaff and winnow out our next GC champion team...

It doesn't work that way, demand is limited and supply is abundant, as there are only 9 teams and not every team needs or wants to shop for every position in F.A..  If a player isn't signed during the first wave, they are usually looking at compromising their demands in order to get a contract.  On the open market many players will wish they signed multi-year deals when they had the chance.  As Walters says, his first offer is his best, if the player doesn't take it, chances are the second offer will be the same or for less.
Jesse

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2022, 04:56:01 PM »

On the free-agent list, I would love to have WR Jake Wieneke and/or WR Bryan Burnham.

If we can trade for someone, I would like DL Shawn Oakman, (specially if Stove will not be back). That mountain of a man (6.09) will be monster in the middle of the 2 Jeffs.  

In his media availbility, Walters talked about the receiving core as an area where we are going to see losses to make up for spending in other areas.

So I think people need to be a little more realistic when it comes to FA signings. I expect to see a ton of new faces in camp competing for spots on entry level deals. CFL vets are going to be coming on Day 2 and 3 deals once the big names have signed else where.

My wife is amazing!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2022, 05:17:15 PM »

In his media availbility, Walters talked about the receiving core as an area where we are going to see losses to make up for spending in other areas.

So I think people need to be a little more realistic when it comes to FA signings. I expect to see a ton of new faces in camp competing for spots on entry level deals. CFL vets are going to be coming on Day 2 and 3 deals once the big names have signed else where.

Agreed, the budget is the enemy, Walters will be shopping middle of the pack for 1-year bargains but will also attempt to fill a few positions with cheaper CFL rookies.  If he can find 2-3 newcomers that stick it will help his budget.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2022, 05:30:26 PM »

I'm in the assumption that Lawler will not be back and Adams will probably sign somewhere (maybe Ott) because I think he will get a lower $$ here compare to what he will get in FA.
theaardvark

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2022, 06:02:45 PM »

I'm in the assumption that Lawler will not be back and Adams will probably sign somewhere (maybe Ott) because I think he will get a lower $$ here compare to what he will get in FA.

Not sure Adams demands a big payday anywhere, he might be more valuable here than anywhere.  Lapo might want him, and pay a premium, but costs of moving and playoff money potential might factor in, as well as familiarity.  Lower $ here might still be a better deal.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
theaardvark

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2022, 06:07:29 PM »

Agreed, the budget is the enemy, Walters will be shopping middle of the pack for 1-year bargains but will also attempt to fill a few positions with cheaper CFL rookies.  If he can find 2-3 newcomers that stick it will help his budget.

This is what happens every year... 2 years ago, it was Lawler, and to a lesser amount Bailey and others.  Last year it was Alford and Nichols and others... scouting will bring in players, and we will usually manage to get starting performance out of a player on an ELC...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: