Blue Bombers Forum
July 01, 2022, 09:44:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Zach is back  (Read 3911 times)
Tehedra

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 05:26:29 AM »

Jesse isn't saying it isn't a good signing.  It just isn't a value signing, indicating we got a bargain.  He's the highest paid player in the league.  With that raise, expect to drop a key piece or two.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 05:54:52 AM »

Jesse isn't saying it isn't a good signing.  It just isn't a value signing, indicating we got a bargain.  He's the highest paid player in the league.  With that raise, expect to drop a key piece or two.
we certainly had to pay him his due.....perhaps we lose a piece or two yet I'm betting that most will want to stay with us....maybe take less money than they could make in free agency.    We lost key pieces after 2019 and we found more good players to fill the holes.....some were even better.   So this is what happens to teams who have winning records for back to back season which hasn't happened in awhile in the CFL.    I still think he's a deal at $550K regardless if we lose some key personnel....17-2 carries a lot of bargaining power even in this Covid era!    He still has some good years ahead of him based on his last two years of play.....and I hope he retires a Blue Bomber as one of the best QBs we've had in Bomber franchise history!   

Happy to be able to watch a rematch of the 2019 game in Hamilton's back yard!
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2022, 09:16:22 AM »

Collaros is worth every penny we pay him... he has the greatest Blue Bomber QB winning percentage.
the paw

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2022, 11:15:22 AM »

Still good value for us. Didn't realize Cody Fajardo was so expensive.

Fajardo is an interesting case.  He leveraged a great 2019 into a contract making him third highest QB.  The market is correcting, so while the remaining year on his contract makes him overpriced, but only mildly so.  He is not so expensive that it would be worth hacking him off by trying to force a restructuring on him.  They may convert some of his base salary to bonus money to shave a little off the bill but leaving him with the same take home.   But he would still be in the $480k range.

grab grass 'n growl
dizzycamper

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2022, 11:32:17 AM »

Definitely not a value. He is the highest paid player in the league by a good margin. It is the absolute upper limit of what you can spend on your QB.

We needed him here and he made us pay him for it. Good for him, but we don?t need to re-write the narrative to make it some kind of deal for us.

Agree with you, Jesse.

What ZC8 has done over the past couple years for the team, had to be taken into consideration and his new compensation is reflecting that now, highest paid QB.  I have mentioned previously, my concern over the contract to the west of us, that did play a role here i.e. the 50K capper added to the 500K.

In conclusion, as a fan....... happy we have our starting QB. I'm sure there will be a need for creative bookkeeping/massaging of numbers, along with the tiring discussions to fill/complete the roster for this upcoming season. There is a ways to go, yet....   Go Blue!!!!
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2022, 12:05:06 PM »

I love how Farjan Lalji, Dave Naylor and 3down guys are suggesting it will be difficult for Walters to re-sign Collaros and then he re-signed Collaros and Bighill (at the same day) just like that. 
Waffler

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2022, 01:30:48 PM »

I feel good having him back. Guarantees we will be again going with a no name backup. So the Oline protection, Buck's play calling and Zach using his legs to escape will be massive. If we do that he stays healthy and we will be in every game.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2022, 01:35:09 PM »

Not sure I agree with you on "Definitely not a value"Huh    We have the MOP at QB and he wants to play for MOS and the Bombers!   That's a deal and he's making exactly what he deserves for winning back to back cups!!    He also realizes we have the best O-line in the league and for him it's a career smart decision to choose Winnipeg over any other franchise at this stage in his career.    That's a pretty big deal for the Bombers and a good deal for the fans!

Others have already explained it for me, but please try to understand what I mean.

Obviously wanted/needed to sign ZC, and his play and success for us warrented a pay raise and he used all the leverage he had. Theres were no deals no be found here, just paying the top guy every penny he's worth.

My wife is amazing!
Blue In BC

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2022, 01:58:37 PM »

Great to have him back. I do have some concern what this costs us elsewhere on the roster, but that's true every off season. There is no question he earned the raise.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
TBURGESS

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2022, 02:41:44 PM »

Great to have Collaros back. The best QB in the league last year deserved the top dollar contract that he got.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
theaardvark

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2022, 03:18:16 PM »

Definitely not a value. He is the highest paid player in the league by a good margin. It is the absolute upper limit of what you can spend on your QB.

We needed him here and he made us pay him for it. Good for him, but we don?t need to re-write the narrative to make it some kind of deal for us.

Is $550k a bargain?  Maybe.  Is it good value?  Definitely.  He was the MOP, GCMOP, is 17-2 as a Bomber.  What player in the league would you make the highest paid player in the league?  Sounds like the actual definition of such.  And, its not like it is by a healthy amount... not like the idiot contracts being handed to QBs a few years ago, where $600k got you a competent QB, and the top QB got 3.5x the top position player... now we're back to the top QB getting a little over double the top position player...

I would have liked to pay less, more room for other weapons, but I'm happy we didn't have to pay more...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
bludan

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2022, 03:35:18 PM »

For context.... We signed Willy for just over 400 six years ago. With that in mind, this makes the contract very good. 

Everything has to be taken into context.  Yes, he's the highest paid, but it's not 700 like was being floated for Bo and Riley a few years ago.  Combine it with Bighill's contract, and I don't think there is a team in the league that wouldn't kill to pay 710 combined for the reigning MOP (QB) and the MODP. I would say that the two contracts signed yesterday were incredibly good value for such proven veterans.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2022, 03:44:38 PM »

Others have already explained it for me, but please try to understand what I mean.

Obviously wanted/needed to sign ZC, and his play and success for us warrented a pay raise and he used all the leverage he had. Theres were no deals no be found here, just paying the top guy every penny he's worth.
Fair enough....I just didn't like your wording and I get what you're saying and I agree.   I knew we would be obliged to pay him more and that of course means less $$ to spread around for signing other key players yet to be signed.    I was hoping we could pick up a better #2 QB however, that may now be a pipe dream.    McGuire will likely be on deck once again and I hope he isn't forced into action as I didn't see much potential in him to ever develop into a starter.   Perhaps I may be wrong about him developing further but he doesn't exactly inspire confidence either.
There is still work to be done for Mr. Walters, however I'm confident he will continue to secure more key players and give the Bombers a good chance at another winning season.
The next big question mark will be Andrew Harris.....will he stay and play and if he does at what cost?   We haven't been in this good a position for decades and our future as a contender looks very bright.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 03:53:02 PM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

Happy to be able to watch a rematch of the 2019 game in Hamilton's back yard!
Blue In BC

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2022, 04:16:29 PM »

For context.... We signed Willy for just over 400 six years ago. With that in mind, this makes the contract very good. 

Everything has to be taken into context.  Yes, he's the highest paid, but it's not 700 like was being floated for Bo and Riley a few years ago.  Combine it with Bighill's contract, and I don't think there is a team in the league that wouldn't kill to pay 710 combined for the reigning MOP (QB) and the MODP. I would say that the two contracts signed yesterday were incredibly good value for such proven veterans.

The overall amount spent to re-sign those two players is quite a good value in total. IMO Bighill is now under paid and that is unfortunate. It will be a while to understand what this might have cost us across the rest of the roster though.

A. Harris comes to mind if we plan on keeping Oliveria and / or Augustine moving forward. I'd like all 3 back but financially that's a big issue starting with what the plan for Harris turns out to be.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
theaardvark

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2022, 04:23:45 PM »

The overall amount spent to re-sign those two players is quite a good value in total. IMO Bighill is now under paid and that is unfortunate. It will be a while to understand what this might have cost us across the rest of the roster though.

A. Harris comes to mind if we plan on keeping Oliveria and / or Augustine moving forward. I'd like all 3 back but financially that's a big issue starting with what the plan for Harris turns out to be.

Bighill is happy with his contract, and knows that any $$$ he did not get will be spent on making the team better.  So I don't understand how that is "unfortnate".  He has a full time post football gig already, this is bonus.  Harkens back to the days when every sports player had a "real job".  Not sure if AH33 has a side gig as of yet, and whether that would figure into what he will need in a contract...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: