Blue Bombers Forum
May 26, 2022, 09:56:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Zach is back  (Read 3263 times)
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« on: January 20, 2022, 11:05:07 PM »

Only a 1 year deal but our QB1 is returning!!! Rejoice faithful. Grin

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
VictorRomano

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 11:05:49 PM »

Dang it, you beat my post by 4 seconds lol

https://fb.watch/aFIu8TuYL7/
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 11:06:49 PM »

**** it, you beat my post by 4 seconds lol
LOL  Cheesy

blue_or_die

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 11:09:33 PM »

3peat underway

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 11:16:21 PM »

Now what the hell are we going to talk about?Huh
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 11:21:14 PM »

Four peat?

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Jets
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 11:22:02 PM »

Four peat?

All these cups are getting boring already Wink
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 11:39:25 PM »

I worried for nought!!   He must have received a great and well deserved raise.....I mean two Grey Cups and MOP in 2022 and MVP in the Grey Cup game!

Happy to be able to watch a rematch of the 2019 game in Hamilton's back yard!
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 11:51:05 PM »

LOL fun comments fans! Our saviour is back with his amazing record talent and leadership abilities.

Rider fans drooling

bluengold204

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 11:51:55 PM »

Bryant, RBs, Receivers
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 11:55:22 PM »

Blue Bombers agree to terms on extension with CFL's Most Outstanding Player Zach Collaros

WINNIPEG, MB., January 20, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms with all-star quarterback Zach Collaros on a one-year contract extension. He was scheduled to become a free agent next month.

Collaros (6-0, 222; University of Cincinnati; born: August 27, 1988 in Steubenville, OH) returns in 2022 for a third season with the Blue Bombers and his 10th in the Canadian Football League.

The 2021 campaign was a memorable one for Collaros, as he helped guide his squad to a second consecutive Grey Cup championship while being named the CFL?s Most Outstanding Player, the Blue Bombers Most Outstanding Player as well as earning West Division and CFL All-Star honours.

He was also named the MVP of the 108th Grey Cup after a 33-25 overtime victory over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. In the process, he became the first Blue Bombers quarterback to lead the club to consecutive Grey Cup championships since Ken Ploen in 1961-62.

Collaros led the CFL in passing touchdowns this past season with 20 and posted a league-best quarterback efficiency rating of 111.0, while his 3,185 passing yards ranked second. Most importantly, the club's record was 11-2 in games Collaros started in the regular season and he is now 17-2 overall in starts for the Bombers dating back to his arrival in 2019 and including the Grey Cup victory that November.

The Bombers acquired Collaros on October 9, 2019 in a trade with the  with the Toronto Argonauts that also netted Winnipeg a fifth-round 2020 draft pick in exchange for a third-round selection in 2020 and a conditional first-round pick that same year. That selection was officially granted to the Argos in January of 2020 when Collaros signed a two-year extension with the Blue Bombers.

Collaros led the Bombers to a 4-0 record in 2019, winning his debut in the club?s regular season finale before the run to the Grey Cup that also included victories in the Western Semi-Final and Western Final, all this after having been traded twice during the year; first from Saskatchewan to Toronto, then from the Argos to Winnipeg.

Collaros first signed in the CFL with the Argos in 2012 and has since appeared in 105 regular season games with Toronto, Hamilton, Saskatchewan and Winnipeg. He has a 46-34 record as a starter in his career and has thrown for 20,164 yards with 114 touchdowns against 58 interceptions.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 12:00:31 AM »

Woohoo it?s official when Modadmin throws that up!

bwiser

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 12:08:32 AM »

Bryant, RBs, Receivers
Alexander, Lofler, Bryant Couture Castillo are all needed.
RebusRankin

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 12:14:44 AM »

https://twitter.com/Wpg_BlueBombers/status/1484327045228208136
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 12:22:51 AM »

Lawler

bluengold204

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2022, 12:51:00 AM »

Yup lots of work to do still.  Great to have Zach back tho !
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2022, 01:40:35 AM »

All these cups are getting boring already Wink
Ddddddynasty

bludan

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2022, 01:55:35 AM »

$550 for ZC.  Highest paid player in the league, but I think it still gives us some room. I get the feeling Harris will be off the books, or greatly reduced.  Possible to sign nearly everyone at this rate.
John T.

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2022, 02:11:44 AM »

Zach Collaros' record since joining the Bombers is 17-2. He also has two Grey Cup rings. I'm not sure this 1:1 ratio of losses to Grey Cups is sustainable in the long run, but for now...I'll take it!
Tiger

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2022, 02:22:31 AM »

Sleeping easier tonight

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2022, 02:51:26 AM »

Zach Collaros' record since joining the Bombers is 17-2. He also has two Grey Cup rings. I'm not sure this 1:1 ratio of losses to Grey Cups is sustainable in the long run, but for now...I'll take it!
of course it isn?t long run wise. But it certainly is next year!

dd

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2022, 03:02:16 AM »

I posted yesterday we better not cheap out on this and glad to see we paid him what he?s worth. The key cog in our offensive wheel.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2022, 03:04:47 AM »

Now we need Bryant signed and pretty sure he's sitting in the drivers seat....you know, as The Most Outstanding Lineman in the CFL!!   I'm sure Zach might have casually mentioned the "importance" of signing him....you know, like what a well paid hired gun should be paid to protect the boss, Zach8!!    He actually wouldn't have to say it.....but everyone's thinking it.   Protecting your most valuable player and leader can be costly but you just have to.    We still have others to sign who are  outstanding, perhaps Most Outstanding Ie:  Alexander, for starters.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 03:08:44 AM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2022, 03:22:35 AM »

I posted yesterday we better not cheap out on this and glad to see we paid him what he?s worth. The key cog in our offensive wheel.
I think he could have pushed 600K especially in Free Agency with teams desperately wanting his skill set and leadership.    What this says, is that Zach wants to stay with his teammates and coaches who he helped win back to back Cups and do virtually nothing but win since coming to Winnipeg! 
He is such an honourable man and Winnipeg has him and his heart! 

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2022, 03:52:54 AM »

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have rewarded quarterback Zach Collaros by making him the highest-paid player in the CFL for the 2022 season.

Collaros will earn $550,000 ? all hard money ? on the one-year contract extension he signed for his QB services during the upcoming campaign. That?s over a $125,000 raise from what the 33-year-old took home in 2021.

If Michael Reilly does continue playing, his currently scheduled salary of $575,000 will be restructured lower than what Collaros is slated to collect. It?s likely the only other quarterback who could earn over $500,000 is Cody Fajardo of the Saskatchewan Roughriders, he has an agreement worth $509,000 in hard money for 2022.

https://3downnation.com/2022/01/20/bombers-make-quarterback-zach-collaros-the-cfls-highest-paid-player/

Still good value for us. Didn't realize Cody Fajardo was so expensive.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2022, 03:58:23 AM »

$550 is actually a pretty good deal for a guy producing way more than MR, BLM, and other (in the past) crazy-paid QBs.  Even if we only want to give our QB $450 or $500, he deserves a "bonus" for winning us 2 GCs with sub-par salaries...

3-peat: OK, how many times has it been done before?  Esks?

I have a question: at what point does it become a detriment to the CFL having the same team win year after year?  If we are in the GC again, do the ratings go down the tubes?  Although you gotta think fans would tune in for yet another HAM/WPG grudge match?

I know I was always slightly bored when it was CGY in the GC every year...  It's like Lewis Hamilton winning every race (or Schumacher), only so much you can take of that.  Or the Patriots (who I now get to laugh at every year!).

Of course, as  WPG uber-fan, I want us to win every GC for the next 10 years!  But not sure that helps the CFL in a tricky time.  Luckily for the CFL 3-peats are a near-impossible feat.

Enjoy it while we can, folks!

Never go full Rider!
Pigskin

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2022, 04:09:03 AM »

It's a great signing, but we also need a backup. 18 games is a long year, another 2 or 3 games to win the cup. We need to fine a backup and the guys we had last year just aren't good enough to win games even with the D we had. Love to see Strev. in Blue and Gold again.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2022, 04:16:49 AM »

Ya Cody negotiated a way-overpaid deal after his '19 performance.  He's lucky he's still getting that.  I wonder when SSK will realize he's not a GC QB... They're going to need a super-stellar cast around him to ever help him win the big one (or even get there).  Maybe SSK will go $500k over the cap on purpose this year...

Never go full Rider!
Jesse

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2022, 04:22:15 AM »

Definitely not a value. He is the highest paid player in the league by a good margin. It is the absolute upper limit of what you can spend on your QB.

We needed him here and he made us pay him for it. Good for him, but we don?t need to re-write the narrative to make it some kind of deal for us.

My wife is amazing!
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2022, 05:19:42 AM »

Definitely not a value. He is the highest paid player in the league by a good margin. It is the absolute upper limit of what you can spend on your QB.

We needed him here and he made us pay him for it. Good for him, but we don?t need to re-write the narrative to make it some kind of deal for us.
Not sure I agree with you on "Definitely not a value"Huh    We have the MOP at QB and he wants to play for MOS and the Bombers!   That's a deal and he's making exactly what he deserves for winning back to back cups!!    He also realizes we have the best O-line in the league and for him it's a career smart decision to choose Winnipeg over any other franchise at this stage in his career.    That's a pretty big deal for the Bombers and a good deal for the fans!

Tehedra

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 05:26:29 AM »

Jesse isn't saying it isn't a good signing.  It just isn't a value signing, indicating we got a bargain.  He's the highest paid player in the league.  With that raise, expect to drop a key piece or two.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 05:54:52 AM »

Jesse isn't saying it isn't a good signing.  It just isn't a value signing, indicating we got a bargain.  He's the highest paid player in the league.  With that raise, expect to drop a key piece or two.
we certainly had to pay him his due.....perhaps we lose a piece or two yet I'm betting that most will want to stay with us....maybe take less money than they could make in free agency.    We lost key pieces after 2019 and we found more good players to fill the holes.....some were even better.   So this is what happens to teams who have winning records for back to back season which hasn't happened in awhile in the CFL.    I still think he's a deal at $550K regardless if we lose some key personnel....17-2 carries a lot of bargaining power even in this Covid era!    He still has some good years ahead of him based on his last two years of play.....and I hope he retires a Blue Bomber as one of the best QBs we've had in Bomber franchise history!   

BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2022, 09:16:22 AM »

Collaros is worth every penny we pay him... he has the greatest Blue Bomber QB winning percentage.
the paw

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2022, 11:15:22 AM »

Fajardo is an interesting case.  He leveraged a great 2019 into a contract making him third highest QB.  The market is correcting, so while the remaining year on his contract makes him overpriced, but only mildly so.  He is not so expensive that it would be worth hacking him off by trying to force a restructuring on him.  They may convert some of his base salary to bonus money to shave a little off the bill but leaving him with the same take home.   But he would still be in the $480k range.

grab grass 'n growl
dizzycamper

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2022, 11:32:17 AM »

Agree with you, Jesse.

What ZC8 has done over the past couple years for the team, had to be taken into consideration and his new compensation is reflecting that now, highest paid QB.  I have mentioned previously, my concern over the contract to the west of us, that did play a role here i.e. the 50K capper added to the 500K.

In conclusion, as a fan....... happy we have our starting QB. I'm sure there will be a need for creative bookkeeping/massaging of numbers, along with the tiring discussions to fill/complete the roster for this upcoming season. There is a ways to go, yet....   Go Blue!!!!
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2022, 12:05:06 PM »

I love how Farjan Lalji, Dave Naylor and 3down guys are suggesting it will be difficult for Walters to re-sign Collaros and then he re-signed Collaros and Bighill (at the same day) just like that. 
Waffler

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2022, 01:30:48 PM »

I feel good having him back. Guarantees we will be again going with a no name backup. So the Oline protection, Buck's play calling and Zach using his legs to escape will be massive. If we do that he stays healthy and we will be in every game.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2022, 01:35:09 PM »

Not sure I agree with you on "Definitely not a value"Huh    We have the MOP at QB and he wants to play for MOS and the Bombers!   That's a deal and he's making exactly what he deserves for winning back to back cups!!    He also realizes we have the best O-line in the league and for him it's a career smart decision to choose Winnipeg over any other franchise at this stage in his career.    That's a pretty big deal for the Bombers and a good deal for the fans!

Others have already explained it for me, but please try to understand what I mean.

Obviously wanted/needed to sign ZC, and his play and success for us warrented a pay raise and he used all the leverage he had. Theres were no deals no be found here, just paying the top guy every penny he's worth.

My wife is amazing!
Blue In BC

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2022, 01:58:37 PM »

Great to have him back. I do have some concern what this costs us elsewhere on the roster, but that's true every off season. There is no question he earned the raise.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
TBURGESS

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2022, 02:41:44 PM »

Great to have Collaros back. The best QB in the league last year deserved the top dollar contract that he got.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
theaardvark

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2022, 03:18:16 PM »

Is $550k a bargain?  Maybe.  Is it good value?  Definitely.  He was the MOP, GCMOP, is 17-2 as a Bomber.  What player in the league would you make the highest paid player in the league?  Sounds like the actual definition of such.  And, its not like it is by a healthy amount... not like the idiot contracts being handed to QBs a few years ago, where $600k got you a competent QB, and the top QB got 3.5x the top position player... now we're back to the top QB getting a little over double the top position player...

I would have liked to pay less, more room for other weapons, but I'm happy we didn't have to pay more...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
bludan

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2022, 03:35:18 PM »

For context.... We signed Willy for just over 400 six years ago. With that in mind, this makes the contract very good. 

Everything has to be taken into context.  Yes, he's the highest paid, but it's not 700 like was being floated for Bo and Riley a few years ago.  Combine it with Bighill's contract, and I don't think there is a team in the league that wouldn't kill to pay 710 combined for the reigning MOP (QB) and the MODP. I would say that the two contracts signed yesterday were incredibly good value for such proven veterans.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2022, 03:44:38 PM »

Others have already explained it for me, but please try to understand what I mean.

Obviously wanted/needed to sign ZC, and his play and success for us warrented a pay raise and he used all the leverage he had. Theres were no deals no be found here, just paying the top guy every penny he's worth.
Fair enough....I just didn't like your wording and I get what you're saying and I agree.   I knew we would be obliged to pay him more and that of course means less $$ to spread around for signing other key players yet to be signed.    I was hoping we could pick up a better #2 QB however, that may now be a pipe dream.    McGuire will likely be on deck once again and I hope he isn't forced into action as I didn't see much potential in him to ever develop into a starter.   Perhaps I may be wrong about him developing further but he doesn't exactly inspire confidence either.
There is still work to be done for Mr. Walters, however I'm confident he will continue to secure more key players and give the Bombers a good chance at another winning season.
The next big question mark will be Andrew Harris.....will he stay and play and if he does at what cost?   We haven't been in this good a position for decades and our future as a contender looks very bright.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 03:53:02 PM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

Blue In BC

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2022, 04:16:29 PM »

For context.... We signed Willy for just over 400 six years ago. With that in mind, this makes the contract very good. 

Everything has to be taken into context.  Yes, he's the highest paid, but it's not 700 like was being floated for Bo and Riley a few years ago.  Combine it with Bighill's contract, and I don't think there is a team in the league that wouldn't kill to pay 710 combined for the reigning MOP (QB) and the MODP. I would say that the two contracts signed yesterday were incredibly good value for such proven veterans.

The overall amount spent to re-sign those two players is quite a good value in total. IMO Bighill is now under paid and that is unfortunate. It will be a while to understand what this might have cost us across the rest of the roster though.

A. Harris comes to mind if we plan on keeping Oliveria and / or Augustine moving forward. I'd like all 3 back but financially that's a big issue starting with what the plan for Harris turns out to be.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
theaardvark

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2022, 04:23:45 PM »

The overall amount spent to re-sign those two players is quite a good value in total. IMO Bighill is now under paid and that is unfortunate. It will be a while to understand what this might have cost us across the rest of the roster though.

A. Harris comes to mind if we plan on keeping Oliveria and / or Augustine moving forward. I'd like all 3 back but financially that's a big issue starting with what the plan for Harris turns out to be.

Bighill is happy with his contract, and knows that any $$$ he did not get will be spent on making the team better.  So I don't understand how that is "unfortnate".  He has a full time post football gig already, this is bonus.  Harkens back to the days when every sports player had a "real job".  Not sure if AH33 has a side gig as of yet, and whether that would figure into what he will need in a contract...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2022, 05:20:31 PM »

It's a great signing, but we also need a backup. 18 games is a long year, another 2 or 3 games to win the cup. We need to fine a backup and the guys we had last year just aren't good enough to win games even with the D we had. Love to see Strev. in Blue and Gold again.

I think Strev. is now a pipe dream unless he's willing to apprentice for McGuire's money.  Like it or lump it it looks like they stick with McGuire or go with a newcomer they bring to TC.  Another year of crossing fingers hoping Zach stays healthy.
Jesse

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2022, 05:28:07 PM »

Fair enough....I just didn't like your wording and I get what you're saying and I agree.   I knew we would be obliged to pay him more and that of course means less $$ to spread around for signing other key players yet to be signed.    I was hoping we could pick up a better #2 QB however, that may now be a pipe dream.    McGuire will likely be on deck once again and I hope he isn't forced into action as I didn't see much potential in him to ever develop into a starter.   Perhaps I may be wrong about him developing further but he doesn't exactly inspire confidence either.
There is still work to be done for Mr. Walters, however I'm confident he will continue to secure more key players and give the Bombers a good chance at another winning season.
The next big question mark will be Andrew Harris.....will he stay and play and if he does at what cost?   We haven't been in this good a position for decades and our future as a contender looks very bright.

Yeah, obviously more than one person read "not a value" and took that to mean "not worth it" - but it more means that we paid the retail price and didn't get a discount. I think that's fair to say.

The 600-700 contracts that Harris/Reilly/Mitchell got are off the table. They were tried for one season - broke their respective teams and were immediately renegotiated. And the salary cap is less than it was at that time (likely).

550 is honestly higher than I would pay any QB. And even though ZC is the best QB in the league right now - he's not playing like the best QB that has ever played in the CFL - so ideally we wouldn't be paying him at that level.

But here we are. Our QB is back and even if his contract is not 100% ideal, it's 85% ideal.

My wife is amazing!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2022, 05:50:00 PM »

Yeah, obviously more than one person read "not a value" and took that to mean "not worth it" - but it more means that we paid the retail price and didn't get a discount. I think that's fair to say.

The 600-700 contracts that Harris/Reilly/Mitchell got are off the table. They were tried for one season - broke their respective teams and were immediately renegotiated. And the salary cap is less than it was at that time (likely).

550 is honestly higher than I would pay any QB. And even though ZC is the best QB in the league right now - he's not playing like the best QB that has ever played in the CFL - so ideally we wouldn't be paying him at that level.

But here we are. Our QB is back and even if his contract is not 100% ideal, it's 85% ideal.

For the health of the league I would like to see QB salaries fall back below $500,000, but this is only a one year contract so there is hope of a correction in the future.  Cojardo's contract is still out of line for the service he provides, so hopefully O'Day resets the tone before the start of this season.  Reilly and BLM are done setting the high bar for QB salaries, hopefully sense prevails among GMs not to let it get out of hand again.
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2022, 05:51:24 PM »

I think the CFL needs to get new revenue sources other than attendance and TSN... be creative or else the league will fold. 
bluengold204

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2022, 06:17:11 PM »

IMO it?s time to drop Harris and use that money elsewhere.  Oliveria/Augustine can handle the work just as well for cheaper.  Question is if one of them is willing to accept backup role for a 3rd season.
Blue In BC

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2022, 06:19:54 PM »

Bighill is happy with his contract, and knows that any $$$ he did not get will be spent on making the team better.  So I don't understand how that is "unfortnate".  He has a full time post football gig already, this is bonus.  Harkens back to the days when every sports player had a "real job".  Not sure if AH33 has a side gig as of yet, and whether that would figure into what he will need in a contract...

Because he's the best MLB in the CFL and not being paid as such. Great for the team that he choose that reasoning but it's still unfortunate that we couldn't pay him what he's worth.

Many CFL players have side gigs

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Blue In BC

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2022, 06:24:32 PM »

IMO it?s time to drop Harris and use that money elsewhere.  Oliveria/Augustine can handle the work just as well for cheaper.  Question is if one of them is willing to accept backup role for a 3rd season.

I'm on the fence about Harris. He's been so valuable but the " time " to move forward comes with every player. That's both a financial and playing time issue. In a perfect world I'd like him to take less money and less reps. OTOH, it's difficult to draw a line in the sand about his worth to the team.

At the moment this decision may or may not be totally in the team's hands. Oliveria and / or Augustine may choose to move for a clearer path of more money and starting elsewhere. The catch is not every team is willing to start a ratio breaker at RB. Generally means you need another Canadian RB to back up.

Then we have Borsa coming to TC.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Jesse

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2022, 06:53:36 PM »

I'm on the fence about Harris. He's been so valuable but the " time " to move forward comes with every player. That's both a financial and playing time issue. In a perfect world I'd like him to take less money and less reps. OTOH, it's difficult to draw a line in the sand about his worth to the team.

At the moment this decision may or may not be totally in the team's hands. Oliveria and / or Augustine may choose to move for a clearer path of more money and starting elsewhere. The catch is not every team is willing to start a ratio breaker at RB. Generally means you need another Canadian RB to back up.

Then we have Borsa coming to TC.

Right there with you.

Last year at this time, I was convinced that we'd actually be better off with Brady and Johnny, but man did we miss him when he was gone to start the year (mind you, I expected Johnny to get a lot more reps than we gave him - he deserved better, imo).

A healthy Harris was clearly out best option - but how often is he gonna be healthy and how much do we pay him for the uncertainty?

The lure of the threepeat is probably drawing him in, but the unknowns make it difficult.

My wife is amazing!
Pigskin

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2022, 07:12:56 PM »

Whether it's here or another team I believe AH33 will play in the CFL this year. It's going to come down to $$. I also think if we sign AH33, either JA27, or BO20 end up in Ottawa.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 07:15:06 PM by Pigskin » Logged

Jesse

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2022, 07:15:22 PM »

Whether it's here or another team I believe AH33 will play in the CFL this year. It's going to all come down to $$. I also think if we sign AH33, either JA27, or BO20 end up in Ottawa.

That's ******* blasphemy.

I agree that if there's an odd man out (Johnny may walk no matter what), there's a good chance Lapo brings them in.

My wife is amazing!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2022, 07:33:41 PM »

Whether it's here or another team I believe AH33 will play in the CFL this year. It's going to come down to $$. I also think if we sign AH33, either JA27, or BO20 end up in Ottawa.

I agree, best retain Harris/Brady combo. at reasonable salaries and let Johnny go elsewhere to maximize his pay day, I don't think he will get a fair shake in Wpg. playing second fiddle to Brady anyways. 

This allows Harris to pursue his records and go out in the grand style he deserves, instead of shunting him out the side door like they did to Dressler.  It also accommodates a transition to a younger RB while passing on his work ethic and experience to Brady.
blue_or_die

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2022, 08:03:21 PM »

My prediction is AH takes 100K and plays a lesser role. He won't be called a backup but he will take 60% of the load somedays, 40% others, and 0% other days. He's got a gig he can focus on that will bring his total compensation right up there and can play for stats and a fourth ring before hanging them up.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
theaardvark

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2022, 08:13:35 PM »

Because he's the best MLB in the CFL and not being paid as such. Great for the team that he choose that reasoning but it's still unfortunate that we couldn't pay him what he's worth.

Many CFL players have side gigs

In Biggies case, pretty sure the CFL is his side gig now...

It is very fortunate that he found the new career here that allows him to be gracious in his salary needs, and allows for us to have a premiere MLB at a great price.  Still, $160k is nothing to sneeze at by CFL standards...

Every other team's fans are going to cry foul, saying that he's getting paid under the table by the Bombers.  In the past, other teams have found ways to circumvent SMS rules by paying spouses, or having off the books practice rosters.  I think our team is above this kind of tomfoolery, and just lucky that a premier player happens to fit with a local business in a way that allows him to earn, plus play.  That $50k or so we save on Biggie brings ZC8's deal down to a reasonable half mil, averaged...  and I'm OK with that...

Pigskin

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2022, 09:18:35 PM »

My prediction is AH takes 100K and plays a lesser role. He won't be called a backup but he will take 60% of the load somedays, 40% others, and 0% other days. He's got a gig he can focus on that will bring his total compensation right up there and can play for stats and a fourth ring before hanging them up.

$100K for a 1/2 year of work, plus playoff money not a bad deal.

Cool Spot

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2022, 11:58:54 PM »

$100K for a 1/2 year of work, plus playoff money not a bad deal.

I wouldn't mind getting paid $100k to work for 1/2 a year.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2022, 01:01:28 AM »

I agree, best retain Harris/Brady combo. at reasonable salaries and let Johnny go elsewhere to maximize his pay day, I don't think he will get a fair shake in Wpg. playing second fiddle to Brady anyways. 

This allows Harris to pursue his records and go out in the grand style he deserves, instead of shunting him out the side door like they did to Dressler.  It also accommodates a transition to a younger RB while passing on his work ethic and experience to Brady.

Could be how it plays out. I think there is also a possible scenario where Harris could retire or not be signed and both Olivera and Augustine come back as a 1A and 1B.

A lesser role my sound tempting for Harris but keep in mind he didn't even make it through training camp last year. Another year older doesn't make things any better.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 01:03:29 AM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
theaardvark

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2022, 03:05:42 AM »

I wouldn't mind getting paid $100k to work for 1/2 a year.

"Work"  for 1/2 year?  Its football...  yes, there is "work" to pro football, but it is still a game, and no one plays pro ball who doesn't still love the game... especially a guy like Harris...

Pro football is the best "job" a guy that loves to play football can get...

Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2022, 04:24:25 AM »

"Work"  for 1/2 year?  Its football...  yes, there is "work" to pro football, but it is still a game, and no one plays pro ball who doesn't still love the game... especially a guy like Harris...

Yes it is but it requires a lot of self discipline and dedication to be physically ready to play.....and the intense desire to play hard ball.   You also have to be mentally tough because the competition is fierce and there's always someone after your job.    It's not for the faint of heart either because those guys really put a hurt on each other out there.....Ie Alexander, Stove, Biggie, the two JJs etc etc. 
These guys are amazingly gifted, talented, driven, disciplined, dedicated and most of all they just love playing football!   It it was so easy we'd all be doing it!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 04:52:59 AM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

Jesse

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2022, 04:38:38 AM »

Sorry aards, but that may be one of the most disrespectful things that?s been said on this forum.

You always champion these guys and their character, but then try to turn around and say it?s not work? The ?game? is 60 minutes, 18 times a year. The work is the other 340 days a year.

My wife is amazing!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2022, 05:35:16 AM »

Football as a career is very limited and, for most in the sport, very short-lived unless the fortunate few get coaching or management positions after their playing days are over.

Football is a game for which a very few aspiring players make it to a point where they even get get paid for the experience.

Football is generally not a job you take on part time (especially professional football).  You are in training year round to prepare for the season. 

Football is temporary and players need to have a career after football unless they have made very significant dollars while playing the game (i.e. a rest-of-your-life job).

The odds are against anyone who believes that professional football or any professional sports is their future.

All of the above are facts IMHO.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 05:43:49 AM by ModAdmin » Logged

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
theaardvark

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2022, 05:38:22 AM »

Sorry aards, but that may be one of the most disrespectful things that?s been said on this forum.

You always champion these guys and their character, but then try to turn around and say it?s not work? The ?game? is 60 minutes, 18 times a year. The work is the other 340 days a year.

Never said it isn't "work", it definitely is, and hard work.  But the end result of the hours of "work" you put in is getting to play a game you love.  How many people get that in their lives?  

Watch the GC celebration, and the days, weeks, months after with the Cup... that wasn't the job they celebrate, but the game...

Best "job" ever...

Who would ever turn down such an opportunity?  Up until TV contracts showed up, and $100 game tickets became a norm, players played for almost nothing, and loved doing so.  

TecnoGenius

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2022, 05:38:40 AM »

No one has mentioned yet: Zach has taken a lot of hits and smashed down hard on the turf many times in 2021.  Especially the playoffs/GC.  He took way more hits in the post-season than I think anyone wanted to see.  That HAM DL was crushing our OL for much of the GC.

But Zach bounced up every time.  Unphased.  Kept truckin'.  The cameras didn't even show many of the hits on him (because he got the ball out), but you can see them in the corner of the screen sometimes.

While OL needs to keep him clean every game, I don't think he's the "one hit away from doom" fragile-Zach that left SSK.  I think he's at least as stout as R.Ray was in his last year; probably even more, and no one worried about Ray.  Zach has been packing on the muscle and beefing up and looked awesome to start 2021.  I think it really helped.

My point is, I don't think we have to think of him as "Fragile Zach" anymore, like everyone did in 2018 and (early) 2019.  (But we still need to keep him clean, hoggies!!)

Never go full Rider!
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2022, 04:25:47 PM »

Never said it isn't "work", it definitely is, and hard work.  But the end result of the hours of "work" you put in is getting to play a game you love.  How many people get that in their lives?  

Watch the GC celebration, and the days, weeks, months after with the Cup... that wasn't the job they celebrate, but the game...

Best "job" ever...

Who would ever turn down such an opportunity?  Up until TV contracts showed up, and $100 game tickets became a norm, players played for almost nothing, and loved doing so.

Doing a job you love is perhaps not as rare as your world view would lead you to believe. Lots of people are doing really cool things in many different fields and industries. Maybe not a ton of people get to say they are pro football players but the job (especially in the CFL) certainly comes with major sacrifices that aren't always offset by significant financial gain like NFL players.

The reality is the CFL is an all year round job for athletes except many of them have to work an off-season side gig while putting in the work to keep them in shape for next season (along with rehabbing injuries sustained over the campaign).

You always look at everything through your blue tinted goggles and when this discussion comes up you put on several of them at once.

the paw

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2022, 06:37:30 PM »

Best "job" ever...

When you place the words work and job in quotation marks, you are saying that you don't consider it real work or a real job.  That is commonly understood usage in context.  The fact that you continue to do so repeatedly, while insisting you recognize it is hard work.

You take these ridiculous booster cliches, try to spin them literally, and the when someone points it out you double down through repetition.  Its annoying as hell...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 08:03:17 PM by ModAdmin » Logged

grab grass 'n growl
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2022, 09:48:35 PM »

No one has mentioned yet: Zach has taken a lot of hits and smashed down hard on the turf many times in 2021.  Especially the playoffs/GC.  He took way more hits in the post-season than I think anyone wanted to see.  That HAM DL was crushing our OL for much of the GC.

But Zach bounced up every time.  Unphased.  Kept truckin'.  The cameras didn't even show many of the hits on him (because he got the ball out), but you can see them in the corner of the screen sometimes.

While OL needs to keep him clean every game, I don't think he's the "one hit away from doom" fragile-Zach that left SSK.  I think he's at least as stout as R.Ray was in his last year; probably even more, and no one worried about Ray.  Zach has been packing on the muscle and beefing up and looked awesome to start 2021.  I think it really helped.

My point is, I don't think we have to think of him as "Fragile Zach" anymore, like everyone did in 2018 and (early) 2019.  (But we still need to keep him clean, hoggies!!)

I have to admit that I used to hold my breath when he joined us in 2019.    That was not the case last season as he played every game and I have gotten over worrying about whether the next hit will take Zach out.   As you say he seems to have packed on some muscle and is looking quite buff these days.    He  still has a ton of game left in him.....however that being said, we want to keep him upright on every play.   

pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2022, 11:14:49 PM »

He will go down as one of the best QBs in Bomber recent history I hope (especially if the cups keep coming!).  He won't have the most games or best stats but this story is just magic.  Sure hope he can stay healthy.  Earned every penny.

Aards you were a little off base with your "work" comment
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 11:17:48 PM by pjrocksmb » Logged

Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2022, 12:08:39 AM »

He will go down as one of the best QBs in Bomber recent history I hope (especially if the cups keep coming!).  He won't have the most games or best stats but this story is just magic.  Sure hope he can stay healthy.  Earned every penny.

Aards you were a little off base with your "work" comment
as for stats, I'd rather take the Cups that Kenny Ploen won over his stats any day.    A'

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: