Blue Bombers Forum
September 25, 2022, 06:53:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NAT OL Geoff Gray re-signs through 2023  (Read 2993 times)
Jesse

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2022, 02:21:53 PM »

It could be done and not announced yet. Hard to tell. By that definition we aren't going to re-sign anybody else because it would already be done.  Signings are being announced 1 at at time.

If signing him for more means that we lose several other potential starters then hypothetically it's too much. At this point we don't know who wants what or where the financial line is drawn for each player. The roster SMS has to be spread / spent across the entire roster.

If for example giving Collaros $50K more than I suggested, would we be prepared to NOT sign Bighill or A. Harris to make up the difference?

OTOH if we can re-sign our entire 2021 roster and still give Collaros more, then I'm all for it.

That's not a realistic view. Who are we willing to not re-sign in order to sign those that we do?

17 starters not re-signed yet. How much below the SMS ( pro-rated ) would we have been in 2021 calculated at regular season? Was there room left at the CAP? IDK, just asking the question.

If Collaros goes to free agency and the Argos offer him $600K are we going to try and top that for example?  Same question for many of our starters: Bighill, Alexander, Bryant, A. Harris to name a few.

Technically we don't even know if the SMS stays the same or is going down.

I'm all for giving him " more " if it's available in our SMS but there has to be a practical and tactical line drawn.

It's certainly possible that ZC's contract is locked in a drawar, I personally believe we'd have heard about it.

I think the upper range of your estimate would place him in the lower tier of QB salaries and I don't think Walters even started with that number(I'm hoping for around 520 but bracing myself for around 550).

But honestly the difference between 500 and 550 means cutting a guy like Adams and putting in a younger receiver. Shifting Harris to a contract that reflects his new value or moving on completely.

The difference in the quality of QB is greater than almost any other trade off on the roster.

My wife is amazing!
Sec227

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2022, 05:09:45 PM »

You have to think Harris 'contract, or announcement of retirement. Might be what's holding up the Collaros $$. You have to think he wants more then one year. If you expect him to move out here with his family.  Get 33 into a mentor/coach role within the organization. Frees up some dollars for other that needed to be signed.  Last year proved we have options without 33 in the backfield every game.
Jesse

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2022, 05:25:25 PM »

You have to think Harris 'contract, or announcement of retirement. Might be what's holding up the Collaros $$. You have to think he wants more then one year. If you expect him to move out here with his family.  Get 33 into a mentor/coach role within the organization. Frees up some dollars for other that needed to be signed.  Last year proved we have options without 33 in the backfield every game.

I definitely don't think there's any other player holding up ZC's contract.

Zach is priority 1, other contracts are depending on him, not the other way around.

My wife is amazing!
Pigskin

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2022, 05:37:36 PM »

Zach is priority 1, other contracts are depending on him, not the other way around.

Agree, ZC8 money is the key right now.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2022, 05:40:26 PM »

Walters could be holding off the announcement of Zach's signing to better coincide with season tickets sales, wait for a hint of spring.

Feel bad for B.A., Safety is not a position that is historically awarded with great rewards especially for an Import, he might get a bump but he will probably still fall below someone like Rose on the corner.  DB is one of the most difficult positions to play but not the greatest for pay, a vet. tops out in the $120-$130k range because there are always young bucks lining up to steal his job who will play for less.
theaardvark

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2022, 05:41:29 PM »

Tying down the rest of his protection (Bryant and Couture) and targets (Bailey, Adams and Lawler) could be contracts "holding up" ZC8's signing... not from a $ perspective, but rather him wanting / needing to play here...

I think we should offer him a multi year deal, for sure, and get his wife on board in making the move from southern Ontario ( I did 22 years ago, and it was the best move for myself and family).  

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
theaardvark

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2022, 05:42:48 PM »

Walters could be holding off the announcement of Zach's signing to better coincide with season tickets sales, wait for a hint of spring.

Feel bad for B.A., Safety is not a position that is historically awarded with great rewards especially for an Import, he might get a bump but he will probably still fall below someone like Rose on the corner.  DB is one of the most difficult positions to play but not the greatest for pay, a vet. tops out in the $120-$130k range because there are always young bucks lining up to steal his job who will play for less.

BA is not just a safety, and we could return to a NAT FS and still find a spot for BA on the field, especially if we don't re-sign Darby or Maston. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2022, 07:00:45 PM »

BA is not just a safety, and we could return to a NAT FS and still find a spot for BA on the field, especially if we don't re-sign Darby or Maston. 

You're missing my point, B.A. is more valuable to the team at Safety than elsewhere because of his leadership, but he has no way to turn that into a $150,000 payday like Bighill can.
GCn19

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2022, 07:08:37 PM »

You're missing my point, B.A. is more valuable to the team at Safety than elsewhere because of his leadership, but he has no way to turn that into a $150,000 payday like Bighill can.

Totally agree and no one is paying those kind of dollars for an IMP S. He won't be anywhere close to 150k anywhere.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Horseman

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2022, 08:14:46 PM »

Walters could be holding off on announcing ZC contract to make other GM's hold some of their spending back on players in the hopes of throwing money at ZC only to find out he has already signed here just before FA.
theaardvark

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2022, 03:25:52 PM »

Walters could be holding off on announcing ZC contract to make other GM's hold some of their spending back on players in the hopes of throwing money at ZC only to find out he has already signed here just before FA.

Or not Wink

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: