Blue Bombers Forum
October 06, 2022, 10:40:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NAT OL Geoff Gray re-signs through 2023  (Read 3098 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 05:45:11 PM »

I wonder if Collaros is thinking play closer to home by chance. He's won everything imaginable the last few years here.  Imagine what the redblacks or Argos would pay the guy?? AND he's closer to his young family. hate to see it. But, can you blame the guy?

I can't see why he wouldn't rent a house and bring them out for the summer, he has the coin.  They recently had their second child so his wife is probably on maternity for quite awhile yet even if she has an ongong career in T.O..
Blue In BC

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2022, 05:48:31 PM »

I can't see why he wouldn't rent a house and bring them out for the summer, he has the coin.  They recently had their second child so his wife is probably on maternity for quite awhile yet even if she has an ongong career in T.O..

It may have more to do where they consider as home rather than where their current house is in the grand scheme of things. Where are their other family members and friends.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2022, 10:46:00 PM »

Beast

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
DM83

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2022, 12:36:28 PM »

Yeah! Zac has his family in the East.  If they throw more money at him, why would he not go?  Isn't his family in those states around the Great lakes.  Should be his last contract. Toronto would be pretty good.  Lots of. Flights there an hour away.  Or the drive from Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York or wherever Mom and Dad life would not be far.

Getting to Winnipeg would be at least a two day drive, or two connecting flights.

Winnipeg has a way better in that is owner friendly re housing, friendlier people, same mid west quality of life (cost of living)

I'd be signing here. Way better O -line.  Management is stable and loyal. If so inclined, post season job opps.
Announce it already!
theaardvark

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2022, 07:56:15 PM »

Yeah! Zac has his family in the East.  If they throw more money at him, why would he not go?  Isn't his family in those states around the Great lakes.  Should be his last contract. Toronto would be pretty good.  Lots of. Flights there an hour away.  Or the drive from Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York or wherever Mom and Dad life would not be far.

Getting to Winnipeg would be at least a two day drive, or two connecting flights.

Winnipeg has a way better in that is owner friendly re housing, friendlier people, same mid west quality of life (cost of living)

I'd be signing here. Way better O -line.  Management is stable and loyal. If so inclined, post season job opps.
Announce it already!

Zach is married to a Canadian girl, and they live in Aurora....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zach_Collaros

Collaros and his wife, Nicole, own a home in Aurora, Ontario. The couple were acquainted through former Hamilton Tiger-Cats player Andy Fantuz and his wife Amanda, and they were married in February 2019.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Jesse

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2022, 08:20:27 PM »

Zach is married to a Canadian girl, and they live in Aurora....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zach_Collaros

Collaros and his wife, Nicole, own a home in Aurora, Ontario. The couple were acquainted through former Hamilton Tiger-Cats player Andy Fantuz and his wife Amanda, and they were married in February 2019.

Yeah, so out East.

Just logistically, it obviously makes a lot of sense for him to sign in TO or Ottawa.

When he signed here, even after the first Grey Cup, his perceived value was still pretty low. And the covid restrictions/salary floor hampered a lot of teams. But his value seems to be repaired and the salary restrictions certainly seems to be over as well. Gotta just hope we can come to a reasonable agreement.

My wife is amazing!
Waffler

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2022, 08:54:51 PM »

He has to decide between being the next Reilly (take the cash, get beat near to death and miss the playoffs) or stay somewhere stable where he takes less punishment and wins more than anywhere in the league.

Home isn't where you're from,
it's where you find light when all
grows dark. - Pierce Brown

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2022, 09:01:33 PM »

He has to decide between being the next Reilly (take the cash, get beat near to death and miss the playoffs) or stay somewhere stable where he takes less punishment and wins more than anywhere in the league.

The other option is using the other teams as leverage and holding out as long as possible to maximize the dollar amount he receives from us.

My wife is amazing!
dizzycamper

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2022, 10:25:42 PM »

The other option is using the other teams as leverage and holding out as long as possible to maximize the dollar amount he receives from us.

I know that having Zack Collaras back, is important and preferred way for the Bombers and the fan base. I get it and believe me, that's what I want at the end of the day!!!

But, at some point the Bombers need to make a decision to move forward, if the discussions are slow and potentially effecting the player choices of the 2022 team. The QB situation to a degree on most of the teams has been settled in the past week(s), this one here appears to be slow for obvious reasons. There are options which are being thrown around on our forums with the possibility of working as well, as posters have stated or debated (pros/cons). We are 10 days away from the actually (open season) period when teams can speak to all free agents, which can go all kind of ways, some of which can create harsh debates within forums.

As we sit today, I count lots of our players (25 or so) on the team that we should sign going forward before Feb 8th. We have 10 players signed so far, but those mentioned 25 are some high profile players which includes Zack, Biggie, BA, Couture, Bryant, Rose, etc (to many to list). All I say, if Zack is on board lets get it done sooner than later and lock up the other members of the team, who "fit" within the cap, before open season. The other members is really my concern, today. A good quarterback, we will have, that's a known, maybe Strev as well, in May...

We started of well early January, but the last 7 - 10 days has been rapidly slow. In the past couple years with our management group, I have never concerned myself with our free agents, it was taken care of, but something is so different this year.

Kyle Walters, along with his group have made the right player moves in the past and will definitely make the right/hard decisions here shortly, I tell myself.
Blue In BC

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2022, 11:14:09 PM »

I know that having Zack Collaras back, is important and preferred way for the Bombers and the fan base. I get it and believe me, that's what I want at the end of the day!!!

But, at some point the Bombers need to make a decision to move forward, if the discussions are slow and potentially effecting the player choices of the 2022 team. The QB situation to a degree on most of the teams has been settled in the past week(s), this one here appears to be slow for obvious reasons. There are options which are being thrown around on our forums with the possibility of working as well, as posters have stated or debated (pros/cons). We are 10 days away from the actually (open season) period when teams can speak to all free agents, which can go all kind of ways, some of which can create harsh debates within forums.

As we sit today, I count lots of our players (25 or so) on the team that we should sign going forward before Feb 8th. We have 10 players signed so far, but those mentioned 25 are some high profile players which includes Zack, Biggie, BA, Couture, Bryant, Rose, etc (to many to list). All I say, if Zack is on board lets get it done sooner than later and lock up the other members of the team, who "fit" within the cap, before open season. The other members is really my concern, today. A good quarterback, we will have, that's a known, maybe Strev as well, in May...

We started of well early January, but the last 7 - 10 days has been rapidly slow. In the past couple years with our management group, I have never concerned myself with our free agents, it was taken care of, but something is so different this year.

Kyle Walters, along with his group have made the right player moves in the past and will definitely make the right/hard decisions here shortly, I tell myself.

I don't know that most of us would agree that the QB situation around the league is mostly settled.  None of Reilly, Masoli or MBT are necessarily staying put. That impacts what options Collaros might have going forward.

If all 3 of those remain with their existing teams then Ottawa is the only team that is a new destination possibility. Posters and GM's saw how over spending on a QB as Vancouver did, impacted their ability to roster a good team.

So IMO that doesn't happen again. We're seeing players sign for less than pre covid. I don't see any other team over paying to the extent of what happened in 2019. Other QB's have restructured to contracts that top out at perhaps $505K with performance goals.

Bombers aren't going to cheap out on a new deal but I expect that to be in the $450K - $475K range with a few incentive markers / games active etc.

As you mentioned nearly all our starters are still pending free agents.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
dizzycamper

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2022, 12:10:53 AM »

I don't know that most of us would agree that the QB situation around the league is mostly settled.  None of Reilly, Masoli or MBT are necessarily staying put. That impacts what options Collaros might have going forward.

If all 3 of those remain with their existing teams then Ottawa is the only team that is a new destination possibility. Posters and GM's saw how over spending on a QB as Vancouver did, impacted their ability to roster a good team.

So IMO that doesn't happen again. We're seeing players sign for less than pre covid. I don't see any other team over paying to the extent of what happened in 2019. Other QB's have restructured to contracts that top out at perhaps $505K with performance goals.

Bombers aren't going to cheap out on a new deal but I expect that to be in the $450K - $475K range with a few incentive markers / games active etc.

A day ago, I posted on MBB, (Back 2 Back, page 46) bottom section of page, my thoughts on Zack, what I thought was fair compensation and related views. If you wish, kind of ties into your view...
theaardvark

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2022, 12:39:06 AM »

ZC8 has a bit of an advantage today, but as each team signs a QB, his advantage lessens. 

Hopefully there will be some more releases / signings before FA day... making the picture clearer...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Jesse

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2022, 01:05:32 AM »

If he was going to sign in the 450-475 range, it would already be done (With Walters skipping on the way to the fax machine).

My wife is amazing!
Blue In BC

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2022, 02:53:59 AM »

If he was going to sign in the 450-475 range, it would already be done (With Walters skipping on the way to the fax machine).

It could be done and not announced yet. Hard to tell. By that definition we aren't going to re-sign anybody else because it would already be done.  Signings are being announced 1 at at time.

If signing him for more means that we lose several other potential starters then hypothetically it's too much. At this point we don't know who wants what or where the financial line is drawn for each player. The roster SMS has to be spread / spent across the entire roster.

If for example giving Collaros $50K more than I suggested, would we be prepared to NOT sign Bighill or A. Harris to make up the difference?

OTOH if we can re-sign our entire 2021 roster and still give Collaros more, then I'm all for it.

That's not a realistic view. Who are we willing to not re-sign in order to sign those that we do?

17 starters not re-signed yet. How much below the SMS ( pro-rated ) would we have been in 2021 calculated at regular season? Was there room left at the CAP? IDK, just asking the question.

If Collaros goes to free agency and the Argos offer him $600K are we going to try and top that for example?  Same question for many of our starters: Bighill, Alexander, Bryant, A. Harris to name a few.

Technically we don't even know if the SMS stays the same or is going down.

I'm all for giving him " more " if it's available in our SMS but there has to be a practical and tactical line drawn.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 02:56:53 AM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
the paw

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2022, 04:05:13 AM »

Collaros was the best QB in the league last year, and had won two consecutive Grey Cups.  He is going to be the highest paid QB in the league in 2022, no doubt about it.  Reilly may retire rather than take a haircut, but he's not coming back on the same contract, I'd bet the farm on it.  So forget what fans might think fair value might be, Collaros is going to be north of $500k, its just a question of where and by how much.

It is correct to say there is a limit to how high Walters should go, and that whatever raise Collaros gets, we are going to lose someone else as a consequence.  But you can't win without a QB, so Walters is going to put his best foot forward.  Personally, I think $540k will be the magic number.  If he wants more than $550k, then I think you have to talk to Trevor Harris.

Either way, I am thinking we are going to have a tough time hanging on to Lawler.  Bryant, Harris and Darvin Adams might come back for the same money, but Bighill needs some of his cut returned, and Brandon Alexander is such a key piece.  Bringing Zach back may hamstring our ability to bring back Lawler, Wolitarsky, Rose, and the Stove.  Each of those 4 can probably get more by going to free agency.

grab grass 'n growl
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: