Blue Bombers Forum
May 26, 2022, 11:17:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Kongbo gone  (Read 2728 times)
kkc60

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 03:34:19 PM »

Jamaal "dumb penalty" Westerman?  Jamaal "often injured" Westerman?  Ya, he didn't do too much after leaving here.  Pity, he did show promise (if he could have solved his 2 troubles).
I mean I prefer to remember him as the guy who had 17 sacks for us, and he never missed a game in Winnipeg. Not sure why you feel the need to give him nicknames like that, not very classy.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 05:38:25 PM »

I mean I prefer to remember him as the guy who had 17 sacks for us, and he never missed a game in Winnipeg. Not sure why you feel the need to give him nicknames like that, not very classy.

Westermann was also the leader of the D during the difficult Willy years and an excellent team spokesperson, he played on the edge, who cares if he received the occasional penalty, he was the best Natl. DE in the league at the time.
kkc60

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2022, 05:42:44 PM »

Westermann was also the leader of the D during the difficult Willy years and an excellent team spokesperson, he played on the edge, who cares if he received the occasional penalty, he was the best Natl. DE in the league at the time.
He also had ridiculous burst, there were many occasions his offsides penalties were simply him being that quick, not offsides. He was pretty much a one man show on the line. 17 sacks lining up with guys near the end of their careers in Greg Peach, Bryant Turner, Keith Shologan and Zach Anderson along with Sam Hurl at MLB and a pretty ugly secondary. He did well I'd say
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 05:49:26 PM by kkc60 » Logged
Jesse

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2022, 05:45:10 PM »

This after his O'dell hate.

Not sure why he's trashing some of our best players we've had in recent years.

My wife is amazing!
theaardvark

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2022, 05:46:54 PM »

Westermann was a beast here, no doubt, and he earned every penny we paid him.  When he took the money to go East, he really fell off the edge, he really didn't seem to be the same player.  Whether it was the D scheme, coaches or just Father Time catching up with him, we seemed to have dodged a bullet when we got outbid...  

He did have some zip, Jefferson type starts.  And the right passport...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
kkc60

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2022, 05:52:15 PM »

This after his O'dell hate.

Not sure why he's trashing some of our best players we've had in recent years.
Recency bias? The best while here but JAG when they leave? Not sure. Disappointing for sure tho. Can't speak on Willis but Westermann never said a bad word about Winnipeg.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2022, 05:54:34 PM »

He also had ridiculous burst, there were many occasions his offsides penalties were simply him being that quick, not offsides. He was pretty much a one man show on the line. 17 sacks lining up with guys near the end of their careers in Greg Peach, Bryant Turner, Keith Shologan and Zach Anderson along with Sam Hurl at MLB and a pretty ugly secondary. He did well I'd say

Bryant Turner was also one of the best DT's of his time, often an all-star during some bleakish years.
kkc60

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2022, 05:59:01 PM »

Bryant Turner was also one of the best DT's of his time, often an all-star during some bleakish years.
I agree, very underrated. I know his last year here was a little rough but IIRC he had some good years in BC.

A part of some very rough teams to watch, which is too bad because he was very underrated league wide imo
blue_or_die

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2022, 07:16:06 PM »

Your excellent memory is giving me PTSD  Angry

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Jesse

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2022, 07:18:03 PM »

Your excellent memory is giving me PTSD  Angry

We are remembering the light that was Jamaal, not the darkness he was shining through.

My wife is amazing!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2022, 07:48:16 PM »

I agree, very underrated. I know his last year here was a little rough but IIRC he had some good years in BC.

A part of some very rough teams to watch, which is too bad because he was very underrated league wide imo

The way I look at it is every team has a number of excellent athletes who rarely get temembered or rewarded because the teams they were on lost more often than they won. You could go back through the rosters of every Bomber team that missed the playoffs over the years no matter how bad and pick a handful of excellent players that played on each of them.  A players like, Ian Wild just happened to show up a couple of years too early and couldn't hang on long enough to reap the rewards he deserved, it's no fault of his.
blue_or_die

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2022, 11:48:38 PM »

We are remembering the light that was Jamaal, not the darkness he was shining through.

All I saw was Greg Peach, Keith Shologan and Sam Hurl and remembered all those teams. Yes, Westerman was a great player and basically the only one on those teams you could say that about.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
TecnoGenius

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2022, 05:25:03 AM »

Ugh, I wasn't "trashing" Westerman.  I said:

1. "He showed promise": fact, I thought he was quite good, that was a complement.

2. "dumb penalty": fact, he took O/S and UR and other penalties at the worst time; *according to my memory*; I recall him getting the MOS-hated "off the field" penalties that extended opponent O drives.

3. "often injured": fact (from my memory).  Then FWIR he left and was always injured in the other teams.

Does anyone want to contest my facts?  No one has yet.  How are facts "trashing him"?  You guys said he was good: I never contested that.  My beef with Westerman is he left when I wanted him to stay; when we needed a top player the most.  The ironic part is he probably would have done better if he stayed in WPG, because he did nothing at all (relatively speaking) after leaving.

I'm the last guy to bash all players just for leaving.  I'm still the league's biggest Nichols#15 fan (you want to talk about fan bashing!!), and I always talk up Lucky (minus the arms).  Same with Nevis, bummer he was in the tub all the time after he left.  I'm a huge Strev fan, and Sayles in BC.  I followed Wild in TOR, as a huge Wild fan.  I was hoping for big things from Randle in OTT (didn't happen).  I wish all the Bombers luck when they go to the NFL, even if I say player X will come back; again that just a (likely, predictable) fact.

The only ones I recall being negative at all on are: Muamba (an amazing player turned money-merc, yes I'm bitter and don't care if it's irrational); and Willis (because he looked so bad his last 1-2 years on that crap team, it was sad to see him so fallen).  I wasn't even negative on Westerman!  I just stated actual facts: penalties, injured.  Fact.  We all form impressions of players that stick in our minds as the memories of their exact plays fade.  My memories of Westerman were these words: "promising", "penalties", "injured".  So that's what I said.  It's not all rainbows and unicorns.  Prove me wrong.

Never go full Rider!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2022, 03:20:47 PM »

All I saw was Greg Peach, Keith Shologan and Sam Hurl and remembered all those teams. Yes, Westerman was a great player and basically the only one on those teams you could say that about.

Pick a year, any year, and I'll provide a list of 5 very good players that played on the Bombers that year.
Blue In BC

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2022, 03:54:13 PM »

It will be interesting to see how well we find a replacement ratio wise for Kongbo. Shouldn't have an issue re-signing Hansen for some rotation at DE but another Canadian on the DL is needed.

Even for bodies to rotate on the DL needs to be addressed in some form. Preferably we don't need to use a DI spot for  DE but that doesn't address the change in ratio issue.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 06:17:50 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: