Blue Bombers Forum
May 26, 2022, 09:48:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kongbo gone  (Read 2721 times)
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« on: January 15, 2022, 12:18:41 AM »

https://3downnation.com/2022/01/12/canadian-dl-jonathan-kongbo-signs-contract-with-denver-broncos/

I'm a little late not sure if this was posted

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
TecnoGenius

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 01:47:48 AM »

That sucks for our ratio ideas...

However, billion bucks says he's back in the CFL soon.  He just isn't NFL-good enough.  Not even close, really.  If the 2 J's can't make it in the NFL, no way Kongbo does, unless he really ups his game.

I watched him carefully all year and when he's in he's not nearly as effective as the J's, and he even lets QBs and sweeps outrun him on a regular basis.

I still think he should play in WPG, but it's more a ratio thing than a "he's the best" thing.  And he might get better as the years tick by.

Never go full Rider!
Tiger

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 01:50:41 AM »

Good luck to him

But agree?..he will be back in cfl

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
dd

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 04:59:06 AM »

This is baffling. He can?t make our starting lineup yet he?s going to the nfl, ya, right Chet. But I guess it?s a free world,  Have at er
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 02:52:27 PM by dd » Logged
theaardvark

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 04:56:12 PM »

We have a lots of FL stars who were tweener in the NFL... and there are players in the NFL who were very good CFL players. 

Kongbo makes our starting Dline without Jefferson and Jeffcoat ahead of him, no problem.  And he was the perfect rotation guy with Thomas, no huge downgrade subbing him in.  And Cheetah, well, loved that.

He probably won't be a starter in the NFL, at least not right away, didn't even get a PR spot, just a futures deal.  But with hard work and study, no reason he can't get at least a couple years of NFL money.  And should he return, he will be better for his time there...  and potentially our next Doug Brown.  Or, Henoc Muamba.  Don't know where his head is at as far as loyalty goes... 

Winnipeg Blue Bombers
@Wpg_BlueBombers
?
1h
"I?m so thankful I had my two seasons with the Bombers. It made me a better player, a better person and we won two Grey Cups.?

Memo ? http://bit.ly/3Fxe7EA
#ForTheW

He does have some speed for a big man... and had 2 great mentors as well as top notch coaching...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pigskin

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 06:35:16 PM »

I think Kongbo will be back, but it mite take a year, or at least till labor day. Some Canadian DL's out there right now. Betts, Boateng, Wiggans, and Menard.

As for the draft, Tavius Robinson 6'-7", 250 is the top rated DL. Next would be Lwal Uguak 6'-5" 280, and would be an excellent replacement for Thomas in the future.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
blue_gold_84

GC108 Champions!

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 08:16:21 PM »

This is baffling. He can?t make our starting lineup yet he?s going to the nfl, ya, right Chet. But I guess it?s a free world,  Have at er

It's almost like Jefferson and Jeffcoat are superior DEs and Kongbo is still developing, so he still has a chance to be a depth player in the NFL.

It isn't baffling at all if you look at the situation rationally.

#forthew
#defendthecup

Back-to-back Grey Cup Champions!

Slava Ukraini!
the paw

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 08:29:29 PM »

It's almost like Jefferson and Jeffcoat are superior DEs and Kongbo is still developing, so he still has a chance to be a depth player in the NFL.

It isn't baffling at all if you look at the situation rationally.

For sure Kongbo is still developing, some of the early reporting out of Denver is that they see him as quite raw, but with a ton of upside.

Also, when using Jefferson as a comparison, one has to keerp their apples and oranges straight.  Willie's excellence as a CFL DE is only partially applicable to the NFL.  In both Houston and Washington, Willie was trying out as a linebacker.  He would have been 25-30 pounds lighter than the average DE.  His almost-NFL-good linebacker skills have made him uniquely perfect for the CFL game.

We will see if Kongbo can develop his linebacker skills one notch higher, and stick. 

grab grass 'n growl
kkc60

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 09:57:22 PM »

Kongbo is also younger than the J's and hasn't had the same shot those two have. He's had injury issues stop him from ever really having a shot
Blue In BC

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 04:03:23 PM »

Like any of our players leaving for NFL opportunities I wish him well and success. Can't begrudge the lure of the NFL and all it brings.

Since he's considered a National it's more difficult losing him then some others we've lost in recent years. However rosters are always fluid. Somebody will fill the void. Perhaps a 2022 draft choice or a player acquired in free agency.

The way our roster was structured a player on the DL would be ideal but not mandatory. Can't really tell how things shape up until we get past the free agency free for all and see who we lose or gain.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 04:44:31 PM »

Would be nice to see Patrice Rene 6' 2" 210 DB walk in and start for the bombers. Have a feeling he will get some looks in the NFL.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
blueraid

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2022, 05:37:04 PM »

Good luck to Kongbo BUT he didn't stick his first time down south and I doubt he does this time..We'll see him sometime in 22'
Blue In BC

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2022, 05:43:31 PM »

Would be nice to see Patrice Rene 6' 2" 210 DB walk in and start for the bombers. Have a feeling he will get some looks in the NFL.

I don't know if he gets any looks in the NFL but he might. Assuming he lands on the Bomber roster in 2022, I'll be happy if he can contribute at any level. Whether that's on ST's or the 6th DB that's great. Potentially it opens up a spot for DI at another position.

If in fact he's capable of starting at some point in 2022 that's a pure bonus. He seems to be highly regarded as a solid player.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Lake Winnipeg

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 09:53:43 PM »

He will be back. He is wasting his time trying out for NFL. He fits better as END in the CFL especially on the BB
kkc60

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 09:58:42 PM »

He will be back. He is wasting his time trying out for NFL. He fits better as END in the CFL especially on the BB
Yeah really wasting his time taking a shot at playing in the best football league in the world, one that many college players never even get a chance to work out for, let alone get a contract. What a silly decision
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 10:45:38 PM »

Not a waste at all.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Yeah really wasting his time taking a shot at playing in the best football league in the world, one that many college players never even get a chance to work out for, let alone get a contract. What a silly decision
A wee bit negative, long shot yes but he still might get a sniff

BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2022, 03:37:03 AM »

He will be missed but certainly not irreplaceable.  Let Hall find us another talented cheaper player that is younger and can do the same job.
Sec223

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2022, 11:09:51 AM »

He will be missed but certainly not irreplaceable.  Let Hall find us another talented cheaper player that is younger and can do the same job.
I don't Hall is the guy that finds new players.
blue_gold_84

GC108 Champions!

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2022, 01:02:47 PM »

Any opportunity a player gets in the NFL is a good thing. To state otherwise is just asinine.

#forthew
#defendthecup

Slava Ukraini!
Blue In BC

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2022, 01:08:13 PM »

A Canadian player that was essentially a rotational starter is not easy to find. Go ahead and name the last Canadian DE we had that could do that effectively?

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2022, 01:42:52 PM »

He left once and returned. Makes sense for him to give the NFL another shot and if it doesn't work out I'd expect him to return to the CFL, sign a pretty decent sized contract as a full time Canadian DE starter.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2022, 04:03:51 PM »

A Canadian player that was essentially a rotational starter is not easy to find. Go ahead and name the last Canadian DE we had that could do that effectively?

Trent Corney was almost there when he quit and Jamaal Westerman who he subbed for was an outstanding Canadian DE at the time.

Stumbled upon the name Craig Roh, surprising he has not re-emerged in the league as he was a solid DE and is still only 30.  Does anyone remember if he was still on the team when they won the Cup in 2019?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 07:10:07 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
kkc60

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2022, 06:00:06 PM »

Not a waste at all.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
A wee bit negative, long shot yes but he still might get a sniff
I was being sarcastic
GCn19

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2022, 07:13:21 PM »

Trent Corney was almost there when he quit and Jamaal Westerman who he subbed for was an outstanding Canadian DE at the time.

Stumbled upon the name Craig Roh, surprising he has not re-emerged in the league as he was a solid DE and is still only 30.  Does anyone remember if he was still on the team when they won the Cup in 2019?

Yes, Roh played 2019.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
theaardvark

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2022, 07:29:10 PM »

Roh was a real nice guy, but he is not a NAT.... so not really a Kongbo swap in... but if EDM has in fact released Boateng... he would be.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2022, 07:57:16 PM »

Yes, Roh played 2019.

I know he was not in the rotation later in the season, replaced by Jeffcoat, Kongbo and Hansen and I don't believe he was injured.  Was he an official scratch?  Hopefully he received his ring and playoff bonus.
the paw

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2022, 08:05:36 PM »

Rob was in rotation early in 2019, while Kongbo was still rehabbing.  Roh finished 2019 on the IR.

He has been a Product Manager for Skip the Dishes for a few years.  He also has an amazing twitter feed where he provides instruction on d-line technique.  Would not be surprised to see him take a run at coaching.

grab grass 'n growl
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2022, 08:26:17 PM »

Rob was in rotation early in 2019, while Kongbo was still rehabbing.  Roh finished 2019 on the IR.

He has been a Product Manager for Skip the Dishes for a few years.  He also has an amazing twitter feed where he provides instruction on d-line technique.  Would not be surprised to see him take a run at coaching.

Thanks, does he still live in Wpg?  I recall he moved his family to Wpg. from Vancouver when he first signed.
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2022, 10:13:02 PM »

I was being sarcastic
sorry man, my bad, now that I read it again I kinda see it

TecnoGenius

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2022, 04:08:50 AM »

Jamaal "dumb penalty" Westerman?  Jamaal "often injured" Westerman?  Ya, he didn't do too much after leaving here.  Pity, he did show promise (if he could have solved his 2 troubles).

Did Corney ever actually start?  It seemed like he was always the scratch IIRC.  Like Faith... the favorite scratch.  And who was that other scratch guy a few years back?

I know he was not in the rotation later in the season, replaced by Jeffcoat, Kongbo and Hansen and I don't believe he was injured.  Was he an official scratch?  Hopefully he received his ring and playoff bonus.

Roh was actually very good.  I was a big fan.  Thanks for the memory-jog, ya I think he was IR and he was rah-rahing on the sidelines and going over video with the DL.  I remember him in the GC telling, I think Willie, how amazing his play was one time.  IR gets the ring, I do believe, but maybe not the playoff $$?  He may have been healed by year end but we needed to go Kongbo for ratio (with Fatboi) once Alexander became permanent FS.

The biggest problem with Roh was he was good but not super great, and he had the wrong passport for a good-but-not-great player.  Kind of like an Ian Wild.

Roh was a good guy.  You guys are right, coaching could be in his future.

Never go full Rider!
kkc60

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 03:34:19 PM »

Jamaal "dumb penalty" Westerman?  Jamaal "often injured" Westerman?  Ya, he didn't do too much after leaving here.  Pity, he did show promise (if he could have solved his 2 troubles).
I mean I prefer to remember him as the guy who had 17 sacks for us, and he never missed a game in Winnipeg. Not sure why you feel the need to give him nicknames like that, not very classy.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 05:38:25 PM »

I mean I prefer to remember him as the guy who had 17 sacks for us, and he never missed a game in Winnipeg. Not sure why you feel the need to give him nicknames like that, not very classy.

Westermann was also the leader of the D during the difficult Willy years and an excellent team spokesperson, he played on the edge, who cares if he received the occasional penalty, he was the best Natl. DE in the league at the time.
kkc60

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2022, 05:42:44 PM »

Westermann was also the leader of the D during the difficult Willy years and an excellent team spokesperson, he played on the edge, who cares if he received the occasional penalty, he was the best Natl. DE in the league at the time.
He also had ridiculous burst, there were many occasions his offsides penalties were simply him being that quick, not offsides. He was pretty much a one man show on the line. 17 sacks lining up with guys near the end of their careers in Greg Peach, Bryant Turner, Keith Shologan and Zach Anderson along with Sam Hurl at MLB and a pretty ugly secondary. He did well I'd say
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 05:49:26 PM by kkc60 » Logged
Jesse

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2022, 05:45:10 PM »

This after his O'dell hate.

Not sure why he's trashing some of our best players we've had in recent years.

My wife is amazing!
theaardvark

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2022, 05:46:54 PM »

Westermann was a beast here, no doubt, and he earned every penny we paid him.  When he took the money to go East, he really fell off the edge, he really didn't seem to be the same player.  Whether it was the D scheme, coaches or just Father Time catching up with him, we seemed to have dodged a bullet when we got outbid...  

He did have some zip, Jefferson type starts.  And the right passport...

kkc60

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2022, 05:52:15 PM »

This after his O'dell hate.

Not sure why he's trashing some of our best players we've had in recent years.
Recency bias? The best while here but JAG when they leave? Not sure. Disappointing for sure tho. Can't speak on Willis but Westermann never said a bad word about Winnipeg.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2022, 05:54:34 PM »

He also had ridiculous burst, there were many occasions his offsides penalties were simply him being that quick, not offsides. He was pretty much a one man show on the line. 17 sacks lining up with guys near the end of their careers in Greg Peach, Bryant Turner, Keith Shologan and Zach Anderson along with Sam Hurl at MLB and a pretty ugly secondary. He did well I'd say

Bryant Turner was also one of the best DT's of his time, often an all-star during some bleakish years.
kkc60

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2022, 05:59:01 PM »

Bryant Turner was also one of the best DT's of his time, often an all-star during some bleakish years.
I agree, very underrated. I know his last year here was a little rough but IIRC he had some good years in BC.

A part of some very rough teams to watch, which is too bad because he was very underrated league wide imo
blue_or_die

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2022, 07:16:06 PM »

Your excellent memory is giving me PTSD  Angry

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Jesse

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2022, 07:18:03 PM »

Your excellent memory is giving me PTSD  Angry

We are remembering the light that was Jamaal, not the darkness he was shining through.

My wife is amazing!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2022, 07:48:16 PM »

I agree, very underrated. I know his last year here was a little rough but IIRC he had some good years in BC.

A part of some very rough teams to watch, which is too bad because he was very underrated league wide imo

The way I look at it is every team has a number of excellent athletes who rarely get temembered or rewarded because the teams they were on lost more often than they won. You could go back through the rosters of every Bomber team that missed the playoffs over the years no matter how bad and pick a handful of excellent players that played on each of them.  A players like, Ian Wild just happened to show up a couple of years too early and couldn't hang on long enough to reap the rewards he deserved, it's no fault of his.
blue_or_die

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2022, 11:48:38 PM »

We are remembering the light that was Jamaal, not the darkness he was shining through.

All I saw was Greg Peach, Keith Shologan and Sam Hurl and remembered all those teams. Yes, Westerman was a great player and basically the only one on those teams you could say that about.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
TecnoGenius

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2022, 05:25:03 AM »

Ugh, I wasn't "trashing" Westerman.  I said:

1. "He showed promise": fact, I thought he was quite good, that was a complement.

2. "dumb penalty": fact, he took O/S and UR and other penalties at the worst time; *according to my memory*; I recall him getting the MOS-hated "off the field" penalties that extended opponent O drives.

3. "often injured": fact (from my memory).  Then FWIR he left and was always injured in the other teams.

Does anyone want to contest my facts?  No one has yet.  How are facts "trashing him"?  You guys said he was good: I never contested that.  My beef with Westerman is he left when I wanted him to stay; when we needed a top player the most.  The ironic part is he probably would have done better if he stayed in WPG, because he did nothing at all (relatively speaking) after leaving.

I'm the last guy to bash all players just for leaving.  I'm still the league's biggest Nichols#15 fan (you want to talk about fan bashing!!), and I always talk up Lucky (minus the arms).  Same with Nevis, bummer he was in the tub all the time after he left.  I'm a huge Strev fan, and Sayles in BC.  I followed Wild in TOR, as a huge Wild fan.  I was hoping for big things from Randle in OTT (didn't happen).  I wish all the Bombers luck when they go to the NFL, even if I say player X will come back; again that just a (likely, predictable) fact.

The only ones I recall being negative at all on are: Muamba (an amazing player turned money-merc, yes I'm bitter and don't care if it's irrational); and Willis (because he looked so bad his last 1-2 years on that crap team, it was sad to see him so fallen).  I wasn't even negative on Westerman!  I just stated actual facts: penalties, injured.  Fact.  We all form impressions of players that stick in our minds as the memories of their exact plays fade.  My memories of Westerman were these words: "promising", "penalties", "injured".  So that's what I said.  It's not all rainbows and unicorns.  Prove me wrong.

Never go full Rider!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2022, 03:20:47 PM »

All I saw was Greg Peach, Keith Shologan and Sam Hurl and remembered all those teams. Yes, Westerman was a great player and basically the only one on those teams you could say that about.

Pick a year, any year, and I'll provide a list of 5 very good players that played on the Bombers that year.
Blue In BC

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2022, 03:54:13 PM »

It will be interesting to see how well we find a replacement ratio wise for Kongbo. Shouldn't have an issue re-signing Hansen for some rotation at DE but another Canadian on the DL is needed.

Even for bodies to rotate on the DL needs to be addressed in some form. Preferably we don't need to use a DI spot for  DE but that doesn't address the change in ratio issue.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 06:17:50 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
kkc60

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2022, 06:07:52 PM »

Ugh, I wasn't "trashing" Westerman.  I said:

1. "He showed promise": fact, I thought he was quite good, that was a complement.

2. "dumb penalty": fact, he took O/S and UR and other penalties at the worst time; *according to my memory*; I recall him getting the MOS-hated "off the field" penalties that extended opponent O drives.

3. "often injured": fact (from my memory).  Then FWIR he left and was always injured in the other teams.

Does anyone want to contest my facts?  No one has yet.  How are facts "trashing him"?  You guys said he was good: I never contested that.  My beef with Westerman is he left when I wanted him to stay; when we needed a top player the most.  The ironic part is he probably would have done better if he stayed in WPG, because he did nothing at all (relatively speaking) after leaving.

I'm the last guy to bash all players just for leaving.  I'm still the league's biggest Nichols#15 fan (you want to talk about fan bashing!!), and I always talk up Lucky (minus the arms).  Same with Nevis, bummer he was in the tub all the time after he left.  I'm a huge Strev fan, and Sayles in BC.  I followed Wild in TOR, as a huge Wild fan.  I was hoping for big things from Randle in OTT (didn't happen).  I wish all the Bombers luck when they go to the NFL, even if I say player X will come back; again that just a (likely, predictable) fact.

The only ones I recall being negative at all on are: Muamba (an amazing player turned money-merc, yes I'm bitter and don't care if it's irrational); and Willis (because he looked so bad his last 1-2 years on that crap team, it was sad to see him so fallen).  I wasn't even negative on Westerman!  I just stated actual facts: penalties, injured.  Fact.  We all form impressions of players that stick in our minds as the memories of their exact plays fade.  My memories of Westerman were these words: "promising", "penalties", "injured".  So that's what I said.  It's not all rainbows and unicorns.  Prove me wrong.

"He showed promise" is not a compliment, it's an implication that maybe he would be good.

I don't recall there ever being an issue with off the field penalties.

Yeah he got injured after he left. That's pro football, injuries happen.

Exactly so you have a beef with him for leaving. Your views on him are slanted because he left your team.

You felt the need to give him nicknames for absolutely no reason. It didn't control anything to the conversation and didn't make any point. But like you said, you have a beef with him for signing elsewhere instead of Winnipeg.
blue_gold_84

GC108 Champions!

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2022, 01:54:46 PM »

"He showed promise"

He was a 30-year old seasoned veteran with over five years of NFL experience when he signed here in 2015. He was a known commodity and easily amongst the best players not only on this team, but in the league at the time.

The mental gymnastics of yours are just hilarious sometimes.

#forthew
#defendthecup

Slava Ukraini!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: