Blue Bombers Forum
January 27, 2022, 05:57:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers extend contract of special teams ace Mike Miller  (Read 504 times)
Pigskin

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2022, 05:30:01 PM »

Jake Burt was selected 1st. overall. He was drafted as a receiver and converted by the Hamilton to a FB. And I don't think he's play a game in the CFL yet.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Blue In BC

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2022, 05:41:38 PM »

For the vast majority of the time, you're not taking a receiver off of the field for a FB.

For most of the rest of the time, if you want a blocker, you put in an extra OL who can actually block.

FB are dead.

Yes you are taking a receiver off the field when a FB is on the field. He then becomes potentially an offensive weapon if he's used that way. He lines up in the back field not on the OL as a TE per se. So the blocking point is changed and potentially he becomes a blocker on an A or B gap run.

Declan Cross in Toronto has played 80 games as a FB and accumulated about 750 total yards of offence. He's best seasons were earlier in his 5 years in the CFL but he still creates a different option on offence in short yardage situations. Overall that's 88 offensive touches in 5 seasons.

Like I said, I'm not expecting a dual RB/FB set with a near 50% split in touches. I'm just asking for a Canadian that can block well and be an actual offensive player in the situations he's on the field. That might only be twice a game but I'd like to think the defence has to give some thought in accounting for him. Otherwise they just key on the actual RB.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 06:10:00 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Jesse

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2022, 06:49:24 PM »

Yes you are taking a receiver off the field when a FB is on the field. He then becomes potentially an offensive weapon if he's used that way. He lines up in the back field not on the OL as a TE per se. So the blocking point is changed and potentially he becomes a blocker on an A or B gap run.

Declan Cross in Toronto has played 80 games as a FB and accumulated about 750 total yards of offence. He's best seasons were earlier in his 5 years in the CFL but he still creates a different option on offence in short yardage situations. Overall that's 88 offensive touches in 5 seasons.

Like I said, I'm not expecting a dual RB/FB set with a near 50% split in touches. I'm just asking for a Canadian that can block well and be an actual offensive player in the situations he's on the field. That might only be twice a game but I'd like to think the defence has to give some thought in accounting for him. Otherwise they just key on the actual RB.

I think we have a bit of a disconnect occuring.

I know you would have to take a receiver off of the field in order to insert a FB, I'm simply saying that coaches don't have any interest in doing so. I don't want to take Bailey off of the field to put in Mike Miller. You're limiting your offence by doing so, not adding a weapon.

And there may be an odd exception where your athletic FB/TE is a bigger weapon that your 3/4 receiver, but I think that's a case of not having good enough recievers.

Declan Cross had a couple seasons where he caught <2 passes a game, but the 2018 Argos won 4 games. Cross had 4 receptions this year and 0 rushing attempts. Those are FB numbers.

My wife is amazing!
Blue In BC

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2022, 09:09:19 PM »

I think we have a bit of a disconnect occuring.

I know you would have to take a receiver off of the field in order to insert a FB, I'm simply saying that coaches don't have any interest in doing so. I don't want to take Bailey off of the field to put in Mike Miller. You're limiting your offence by doing so, not adding a weapon.

And there may be an odd exception where your athletic FB/TE is a bigger weapon that your 3/4 receiver, but I think that's a case of not having good enough recievers.

Declan Cross had a couple seasons where he caught <2 passes a game, but the 2018 Argos won 4 games. Cross had 4 receptions this year and 0 rushing attempts. Those are FB numbers.

You're missing the point. Teams take receivers off to add another OL as well. They may do that at times on 2nd and short or 3rd and short for example or in the red zone. Weather may dictate a heavy lean towards the run game when a receiver is less important than an OL or FB blocking.

Calling him a FB or a RB is not really the point either.

Essentially  a bigger / heavier Canadian that can block, play ST's and be an emergency RB as necessary.

Some FB or even OL have been used as receivers in these short down and distance situations.  Calvin McCarthy would be another example.

I said this might only be used once or twice a game if and as necessary.  Having a player that is actually capable of being a player for that role would be useful.

Previously I've asked whether Oliveria or Augustine were good blockers that could be used in those situations instead of a player like Miller.

You can't tell me a defence looking at A. Harris in the back field is not going to worry more about one of those two as well as A. Harris. More than Miller in that role.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 09:16:19 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Tiger

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2022, 01:53:00 AM »

Good news

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: