Blue Bombers Forum
July 01, 2022, 01:33:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Global players 2022  (Read 1687 times)
Blue In BC

« on: January 03, 2022, 03:42:15 PM »

Hansen is a potential free agent but I'd expect he re-signs in Winnipeg.

OTOH, only Maruo has been retained from the 4 on the PR. I suppose that may change shortly but we've seemed to have added the PR players we wanted already.

Is the next Global draft done by season ranking or by random draw? Regardless two years of Global drafts have not been largely successful for Winnipeg.

Do we need to re-consider what positions we look for in the draft? IE: there would be a benefit in finding a Kicker to develop of even make the game day roster. In 2021 many teams choose that route and it frees up a DI spot.

Obviously I'd be happy to get Castillo but a development global kicker is not the worst idea. Since so many teams took punters or kickers in 2021 that might leave some good candidates available in the early picks.

Quick count on all CFL teams only show 17 in total global players under contract. Many ended up on PR's for most of the season and now are free agents which may or may not resurface in 2022.

I wonder how many of those still on rosters were drafted in 2019?

« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 04:22:59 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 04:21:45 PM »

Hansen is a potential free agent but I'd expect he re-signs in Winnipeg.

OTOH, only Maruo has been retained from the 4 on the PR. I suppose that may change shortly but we've seemed to have added the PR players we wanted already.

Is the next Global draft done by season ranking or by random draw? Regardless two years of Global drafts have not been largely successful for Winnipeg.

Do we need to re-consider what positions we look for in the draft? IE: there would be a benefit in finding a Kicker to develop of even make the game day roster. In 2021 many teams choose that route and it frees up a DI spot.

Obviously I'd be happy to get Castillo but a development global kicker is not the worst idea. Since so many teams took punters or kickers in 2021 that might leave some good candidates available in the early picks.

Quick count on all CFL teams only show 17 in total global players under contract. Many ended up on PR's for most of the season and now are free agents which may or may not resurface in 2022.

I think the odds of the CFL B.O.G.'s doing away with the global program are about 50% this off-season, too many bigger issues to deal with now, they may slide it to the backburner until after the Covid crisis.
Blue In BC

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 04:26:54 PM »

I think the odds of the CFL B.O.G.'s doing away with the global program are about 50% this off-season, too many bigger issues to deal with now, they may slide it to the backburner until after the Covid crisis.

Could be. I'm never been a big supporter of the idea in the 1st place. Part of that was the exempting of their SMS hit against the total. Part of it was eliminating the roster spot for a 3rd QB.

That said if they do away with the idea, then it creates a different issue for several teams. That would mean a current global punter or kicker would then need to be a DI or adjustment to their ratio. For the Bombers I can't see Hansen winning a spot as a DI based on our current use of DI spots as long as we utilize an import kicker.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 04:31:15 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
theaardvark

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 04:35:22 PM »

The Global program has been, in my view, a great success.  It has gotten recognition outside Canada/US, and the players have contributed.  

As to not having an effective Global Draft, Winnipeg has an issue with Hansen taking up the only roster spot.  We don't know how good our other globals have been because unseating Hansen is almost impossible.  Mauro stuck, and had proven to be a good player as well, hence his re-signing.  

Other teams haven't got their Hansen, and have been playing with global kickers.. with limited success.  Finding a global Olineman or Dtackle would be interesting, or a skill position.  Seems like LB/ST/K are about the full scope so far...

My concern is now what?  Hansen is not a league minimum player, but due to his birth certificate he is limited to that wage.  So, when can he get out of his "global" designation, and allow another prospect to get on the roster?  

Should a "Global" player graduate to "Nat" status after 3 years?  Or some sort of modified "DI"?  Otherwise, the program stalls out after each team gets a single Hansen trained up.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 05:55:51 PM »

The Global program has been, in my view, a great success.  It has gotten recognition outside Canada/US, and the players have contributed.  

As to not having an effective Global Draft, Winnipeg has an issue with Hansen taking up the only roster spot.  We don't know how good our other globals have been because unseating Hansen is almost impossible.  Mauro stuck, and had proven to be a good player as well, hence his re-signing.  

Other teams haven't got their Hansen, and have been playing with global kickers.. with limited success.  Finding a global Olineman or Dtackle would be interesting, or a skill position.  Seems like LB/ST/K are about the full scope so far...

My concern is now what?  Hansen is not a league minimum player, but due to his birth certificate he is limited to that wage.  So, when can he get out of his "global" designation, and allow another prospect to get on the roster?  

Should a "Global" player graduate to "Nat" status after 3 years?  Or some sort of modified "DI"?  Otherwise, the program stalls out after each team gets a single Hansen trained up.

Teams were allowed / expected to field a 2nd Global in 2021. Few teams did. Recognition outside of Canada? That's a joke. More Americans will look to follow careers of players coming to Canada. Some of these players were stars in US college programs with 60K-120K stadiums.

To define that as a successful program is a reach. You even suggested other teams having " limited success ". You even suggested most likely ST players as the probability. That's your definition of success?

I think only 9 players were drafted in 2019 and 36 in 2021. Of those 45 only 17 currently remain on any CFL roster. Many never got off the PR on their respective teams.

Hansen is a league minimum player. He could be replaced by an import DI on an ELC if not for the reserved spot created artificially for a global player.  13 DT's in 2 seasons is not much.

As a comparison in 2019 Craig Roh as a DI had 16 DT's and 6 sacks.

In response to your question about whether a global should be modified so some sort of National or different DI status. The answer is clearly NO. If for no other reason than retaining players beyond 3 years is not the easiest thing to do.

The simplest solution would be to change the global salary range. Essentially make it open market like any other player. Not all CFL rookies get the minimum ELC deal. Of course if you do that then you might get into a smaller bidding war if another team wants that global player. Can't have it both ways there either.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 06:18:38 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 03:36:06 AM »

Keep them coming!

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
theaardvark

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 01:10:33 PM »

Tail end of the article about BC replacing Stove with SUperbowl Champion Qualls is this tidbit...

https://3downnation.com/2022/04/21/lions-add-super-bowl-winning-dt-elijah-qualls-following-injury-to-stove-richardson/

"The club has also announced the retirement of Global defensive lineman Nik Gustav. The native of Hamurg, Germany dressed for 12 games last season, recording seven special teams tackles."

Sounds like a Hansen type retirement... from a player that actually was used as a global.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 02:21:57 AM »

GLOBs aren't shelved until Ambrosie quits.  Period.  It's his legacy, whether it works or not.

The Global program has been, in my view, a great success.  It has gotten recognition outside Canada/US, and the players have contributed. 

"Recognition outside Canada".  Show me such said "recognition".  I doubt it makes anything other than the back page of some sports section in Europe.  Maybe, maybe the hometown or team-town of Hansen has an article after a GC win.  Maybe.  I have a friend in Austria who's into football/NFL and he said he had never heard of the CFL or its GLOB program before I told him.

Yes, GLOBs after 2y should be allowed more salary.  Maybe on a set scale.  Enough to try to keep them enticed to stay, but not enough to take away from NATs.

My idea still stands: find the best GLOB QB and dress him each game as a free #3 as insurance.

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2022, 12:15:00 PM »

GLOBs aren't shelved until Ambrosie quits.  Period.  It's his legacy, whether it works or not.

"Recognition outside Canada".  Show me such said "recognition".  I doubt it makes anything other than the back page of some sports section in Europe.  Maybe, maybe the hometown or team-town of Hansen has an article after a GC win.  Maybe.  I have a friend in Austria who's into football/NFL and he said he had never heard of the CFL or its GLOB program before I told him.

Yes, GLOBs after 2y should be allowed more salary.  Maybe on a set scale.  Enough to try to keep them enticed to stay, but not enough to take away from NATs.

My idea still stands: find the best GLOB QB and dress him each game as a free #3 as insurance.

I think Ambrosie is part of the problem.

I wouldn't disagree that a global player could be offered a higher salary if a team choose to do that after 2 years. Not sure how a " set scale " would work. That's been suggested before across rosters for capping upward salaries by position. It flies in the face of free enterprise / free agency.  Limiting top earners but giving / wanting to raise limits for lower level. Whether the SMS is $5M or $10M that's a dilemma.

Can't remember exact NFL ELC level ( $700K )? OTOH some top players are earning $45M.

Where and why do lines get drawn?

I'd be curious to know how much Hansen felt would have made a difference for him to play.

The idea of finding a global QB is as laughable as finding a bunch of Canadian QB's to roster as a # 3.  Since the # 3 QB seldom sees the field and is really more of a development player at best, it's counter productive. Now we want to find 9 Global QB's?

I'd be trying to find a kicker which is a position said player would actually participate during games.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 03:07:28 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
DM83

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 05:18:39 PM »

Hanssen was a very good player.  He should crack an NFL roster as a taxi or special teams guy. big, fast and violent.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 07:10:07 PM »

Hanssen was a very good player.  He should crack an NFL roster as a taxi or special teams guy. big, fast and violent.

Um, no.
DM83

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2022, 08:02:18 AM »

I better hurry and get my eyes checked.
I mean what other Global player is better?
And, is this experiment over?
Blue In BC

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2022, 01:24:16 PM »

I better hurry and get my eyes checked.
I mean what other Global player is better?
And, is this experiment over?

Hansen was the best Global player. That doesn't make him a player of interest in the NFL.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
DM83

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2022, 07:26:10 PM »

Why not?   Do you think those NFL guys are all Gods?
Hansen is a really good Fb player.  He has a lot of great attributes for A LB and special teamer.

At worst he. Could be a special teamer....same as in the CFL, where he excels also.
Actually the Jets need about six of his type
Blue In BC

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2022, 07:45:54 PM »

Why not?   Do you think those NFL guys are all Gods?
Hansen is a really good Fb player.  He has a lot of great attributes for A LB and special teamer.

At worst he. Could be a special teamer....same as in the CFL, where he excels also.
Actually the Jets need about six of his type

The NFL is drafting about 260 players this week and many of those will be ST players. They will be younger, faster, meaner capable to stop a speeding train, catch a bullet with his teath and look good wearing a cape. Simple supply / demand equation.

I like Hansen and hope he does re-join the Bombers. He's not NFL material IMO and he hasn't been signed to any sort of NFL futures contract. That says it all.

Further as I've said, it not for his Global status and SMS exemption I do not believe he would beat out an import for a spot as a DI. Without the exemption that's what he'd have to do.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 07:49:24 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
DM83

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2022, 08:56:45 PM »

Yup, Blue in BC.  Fair. Comments.  Our exchange of opinions is probably what many coaches say about him.
Certainly a dime a dozen in the States.
All those drafted have above average abilities, comsistancy, attitude, desire, often seperated a lot of guys. actually the dime a dozen comment is erroneous probably a penny a/100th.

Lots of great playmakers, in many places.
What are we at 2 weeks to go?  Let's go Blue.
theaardvark

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2022, 03:28:54 PM »

OK, I did not realize that the NFL has a "Global" program, and Jacksonville just scooped one of the Globals we had on our practice roster last year...

https://www.jaguars.com/news/jaguars-add-db-ayo-oyelola-to-roster-via-international-player-pathway-program

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: