Blue Bombers Forum
July 01, 2022, 12:21:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: CFL says Lucky Whitehead is a FA.  Do We Try To Sign Him for 2022?
Yes - 14 (36.8%)
No - 24 (63.2%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lucky Whitehead - Free Agent (no longer)  (Read 8048 times)
dd

« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2022, 03:46:05 AM »

$200K is overpaying no matter how you look at it.  2 years in the CFL, 4th in league receiving stats.  $150K - $160K would be a decent salary for his production.
$200k is too much but he does return kicks and punts for TDs pretty regularly so I can see the $160-170 range, but $200 is absolutely nuts
TecnoGenius

« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2022, 05:32:35 AM »

Contract is registered with the league, I believe GM's and player agents have access to that information even if the media does not.

Is that true though?  The impression I've gotten after many years on the forum is that these numbers are leaked to the "insiders", or whisper numbers, but nobody really knows for sure.  I've always wondered how that works as some players like QBs we tend to all know the $$, but many players we just have no clue.

If it's not "policed" or "official", what is to keep a wily GM from just lying (early in FA/re-signings for max effect) to force other GMs to overpay?

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2022, 01:03:23 PM »

Is that true though?  The impression I've gotten after many years on the forum is that these numbers are leaked to the "insiders", or whisper numbers, but nobody really knows for sure.  I've always wondered how that works as some players like QBs we tend to all know the $$, but many players we just have no clue.

If it's not "policed" or "official", what is to keep a wily GM from just lying (early in FA/re-signings for max effect) to force other GMs to overpay?

The CFL, and GMs are all privy to contract information. The player agents are aware, obviously, what their own players make. The circle is small though and player agents talk amongst themselves almost certainly. There wouldn't be too many players they wouldn't be aware of what they are making. The GMs do not get the information on what team is offering what, they get the info after the contract is signed and ratified by the league. It is the player agents that leak the salary info out to the media. The reason you outlined above is precisely why CFL GMs have the info on each player after each of them is ratified. The CFL would gain nothing by allowing GMs to bluff like that, and they would gain nothing by releasing contract numbers out to the public either although the latter would not be nearly as big a deal.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 01:07:55 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2022, 01:49:52 AM »

That's very good to know, thanks!

Never go full Rider!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: