Blue Bombers Forum
December 02, 2022, 01:44:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: CFL says Lucky Whitehead is a FA.  Do We Try To Sign Him for 2022?
Yes - 14 (36.8%)
No - 24 (63.2%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lucky Whitehead - Free Agent (no longer)  (Read 11403 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2022, 05:03:45 PM »

If we're looking for a free agent receiver, Jake Weinke would top my list.

Good receiver but it would depend on who he'd replace and how we'd use him. He's more of an inside guy than an outside guy IMO. In that sense he'd be a candidate for Bailey's role if he was to leave. Where either fit from an SMS point of view I don't know.

Given the same or similar SMS I'm sticking with Bailey though

2019 Grey Cup Champions
theaardvark

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2022, 05:51:44 PM »

If we're looking for a free agent receiver, Jake Weinke would top my list.

Much bigger Wolitarsky fan than Winker.  He is here, he's a part of this team, and he's every bit as reliable as Weinke. 

Much rather re-sign Wolitarski... but sure, if we lose him, Weineke is a good replacement...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2022, 07:01:17 PM »

Much bigger Wolitarsky fan than Winker.  He is here, he's a part of this team, and he's every bit as reliable as Weinke. 

Much rather re-sign Wolitarski... but sure, if we lose him, Weineke is a good replacement...

Not really an accurate assessment /comparison and Woli is designated as a National. Weineke is an import. Weineke has double the yardage and significantly more passes thrown his way. We all like Woli but he's a less used receiver based on where he lines up and who are other receivers fall into the route tree.

I'd be happy to re-sign Woli but the fact he's designated as a National goes a long way into that comment.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 07:06:00 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
theaardvark

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2022, 08:25:31 PM »

Not really an accurate assessment /comparison and Woli is designated as a National. Weineke is an import. Weineke has double the yardage and significantly more passes thrown his way. We all like Woli but he's a less used receiver based on where he lines up and who are other receivers fall into the route tree.

I'd be happy to re-sign Woli but the fact he's designated as a National goes a long way into that comment.

Wow... I had always thought Weineke was a Nat.  Not sure why..  then that doubles my commitment to getting Woli back.  The job Weineke does is what I expect from a Nat... big, possession, 2nd down / TD kind of rec.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
the paw

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2022, 10:53:43 PM »

Wow... I had always thought Weineke was a Nat.  Not sure why..  then that doubles my commitment to getting Woli back.  The job Weineke does is what I expect from a Nat... big, possession, 2nd down / TD kind of rec.

Wow, are you out to lunch on this one.  Weineke had more than double the yards of Woli.  He was the 5th leading receiver in the whole league, and #1 in TDs.  His number of plays over 30 yards, his YAC all point to the fact he is more than just a possession receiver.  I love Woli, but its apples and oranges.  Now, Weineke versus Demski is a fairer comparison, and I would definite prefer Demski over Weineke for a number of reasons.

We can't afford to sign Weineke unless we lose Lawler.  He will command more than either Bailey or Adams in free agency.

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2022, 01:35:40 PM »

Wow, are you out to lunch on this one.  Weineke had more than double the yards of Woli.  He was the 5th leading receiver in the whole league, and #1 in TDs.  His number of plays over 30 yards, his YAC all point to the fact he is more than just a possession receiver.  I love Woli, but its apples and oranges.  Now, Weineke versus Demski is a fairer comparison, and I would definite prefer Demski over Weineke for a number of reasons.

We can't afford to sign Weineke unless we lose Lawler.  He will command more than either Bailey or Adams in free agency.

Actually Lawler led the league in TD's with 10 compared to Weineke at 7 tied with 4 others. Something to take into account for any receiver is how good is the rest of the receiving corps and the distribution by the QB.

Overall Winnipeg's starting 5 were much better and the ball was distributed more to 3rd, 4th and 5th receivers. In Montreal there was a significant drop off after Lewis and Weineke.

Woli was really our 5th option most of the time based on where he lined up etc etc.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 01:41:57 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
the paw

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2022, 03:39:51 PM »

Actually Lawler led the league in TD's with 10 compared to Weineke at 7 tied with 4 others.

You are misreading the stats.  Lawler had 10 plays over 30 yards and only 6 TDs.  Not that Lawler is the point, the issue under debate is whether Wolitarsky is better than Weineke, which is a ridiculous proposition.

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2022, 03:58:25 PM »

You are misreading the stats.  Lawler had 10 plays over 30 yards and only 6 TDs.  Not that Lawler is the point, the issue under debate is whether Wolitarsky is better than Weineke, which is a ridiculous proposition.

Ah. You are correct, my bad.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
GCn19

« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2022, 05:33:11 PM »

Weineke is a MUCH better receiver than Woli...however it's a moot point because Woli has the better passport.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
the paw

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2022, 06:01:08 PM »

Weineke is a MUCH better receiver than Woli...however it's a moot point because Woli has the better passport.

Wolitarsky is a very solid receiver, and he could definitely put up more yards if he played in the slot.  But at this point, as a Canadian receiver I would rank him behind Demski, Gittens, Schaffer-Baker, Cottoy and Lemar Durant (if healthy).

I like him just as much as Lenius, Mike Jones, Shaq Johnson and Behar and would keep him over any of these these even though production is similar.

I would definitely keep him ahead of Shai Ross, Tevaughn Campbell, Ungerer, Picton, Malaya or Sidani.

grab grass 'n growl
TecnoGenius

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2022, 07:42:58 AM »

Wolitarsky is a very solid receiver, and he could definitely put up more yards if he played in the slot.  But at this point, as a Canadian receiver I would rank him behind Demski, Gittens, Schaffer-Baker, Cottoy and Lemar Durant (if healthy).

I like him just as much as Lenius, Mike Jones, Shaq Johnson and Behar and would keep him over any of these these even though production is similar.

I would definitely keep him ahead of Shai Ross, Tevaughn Campbell, Ungerer, Picton, Malaya or Sidani.

Have to disagree.  Woli is ahead of Cottoy/Lemar.  The rest of your list is good.

Woli made big clutch catches in both 2019 and 2021 playoffs and GCs.  That's major pressure situations that show a lot about a player.  Except for 1 or 2 games this year where Woli seemed to have the dropsies or some issue, he's always solid when targeted, and can take the big hits and hang on.  He has pretty good hands too.

Remember, Woli is in the position where JFG failed to catch a single rail pass in X years and like 10 attempts.  Woli makes those catches.

Lemar has gone downhill majorly and Cottoy, meh.  Started big in 2021 then fell off the radar.

You are right that KSB is one to watch.  Kid is a monster, a NAT version of Gronk.  What a find for SSK.  And Gittens is like a Lawler-lite with a passport.

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2022, 01:36:33 PM »

Like anything else it's all relative to price vs production. If Woli doesn't demand the moon he is a perfect fit in the 5th receiver slot in our offence and I would be more than happy to have him back.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Jesse

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2022, 03:45:06 PM »

Like anything else it's all relative to price vs production. If Woli doesn't demand the moon he is a perfect fit in the 5th receiver slot in our offence and I would be more than happy to have him back.

Woli's already received at least a second contract from us. There's not a lot of negotiation room for either side. I think he's already penciled in.

My wife is amazing!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2022, 04:05:22 PM »

Woli's already received at least a second contract from us. There's not a lot of negotiation room for either side. I think he's already penciled in.

The Bomber are fortunate to have Woli, but Woli is fortunate he has the Natl. loophole to hang onto, win/win.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 05:50:10 AM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2022, 04:14:43 PM »

LIONS INK LUCKY WHITEHEAD THROUGH 2023

https://www.cfl.ca/2022/01/10/lions-ink-lucky-whitehead-2023/
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: