Blue Bombers Forum
December 02, 2022, 02:54:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: CFL says Lucky Whitehead is a FA.  Do We Try To Sign Him for 2022?
Yes - 14 (36.8%)
No - 24 (63.2%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lucky Whitehead - Free Agent (no longer)  (Read 11428 times)
DM83

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2021, 05:58:28 PM »

He seems to want to be here,  imagine, a guy who wants Tobe partof  winnipeg team
dd

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2021, 06:55:59 PM »

If we end up needing a receiver, I think either Acklin or Dunbar would be a good fit, and probably less expensive.  If we?re willing to take a chance, I think both Derel Walker and Shaq Evans would benefit from a change of scenery, and be very affordable after down years.  I expect both of them to rebound, but there is a certain risk.
Hard no to both Walker and Evan's, both trending in strong direction. It seemed they both quit/gave up this year . We dont need quitters on this team
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2021, 07:34:20 PM »

Hard no to both Walker and Evan's, both trending in strong direction. It seemed they both quit/gave up this year . We dont need quitters on this team

If they have to pickup a F.A. to replace Lawler, I would take a run at Buster Rhymes from BC and keep an eye on the Argos and Stamps lists to see who they can't renew.  Problems is, if every top receiver is looking for bigger bucks it becomes more difficult to find a good receiver at a fair price. 

Bombers depth fails them at this position, they dicked around with Nelson for years and McKnight who are not good enough to step up and become major contributors.  Bombers also have a WR named Mekale McKay on their F.A. list, I have no idea who he is.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 07:37:27 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2021, 09:04:19 PM »

His price tag will be very high, love the player but like other said unless we lose our aces, pass.

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
dd

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2021, 09:49:59 PM »

I m interested in seeing where burnham and Elingson go. I remember seeing burnham frustrsted a number of times this past season and elingson  probably can?t get out of Edmonton fast enough. I would think both would want to go to contenders and donor dwell in obscurity while the clubs they?re presently on flounder away, and both those teams aren?t getting to contender status in a year, and these elite receivers have time ticking on their careers.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2021, 01:59:43 AM »

A team should never stand pat with their roster even after winning a championship back to back.   We will likely retain many of our core players however everyone has a price and that may be a factor with some players more than others.    Lucky is now an all star and he fit into a BC offensive system that well let's face it...wasn't working for various reasons.   Could he fit into ours?   Buck is creative and he would have to adapt to our system which is more about ball control and grinding out yardage in tough conditions.    As much as I liked him as a returner I'm not 100% sure he'd fit in to our receiving core.    For Mike O'Shea, fitting into the team model IS everything....so having said that...he wouldn't necessarily be a lock to fit in despite his talent and physical attributes.   He'd be a thoroughbred trying to fit in with a team of draught horses.

That's the short and long of it and I'm not sure either Walters or MOS will bite on the prospect of signing him as much as I and and some others on this forum would like to see it happen.     

Happy to be able to watch a rematch of the 2019 game in Hamilton's back yard!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2021, 02:15:09 AM »

Lucky is now an all star and he fit into a BC offensive system that well let's face it...wasn't working for various reasons.   Could he fit into ours?   Buck is creative and he would have to adapt to our system which is more about ball control and grinding out yardage in tough conditions.    As much as I liked him as a returner I'm not 100% sure he'd fit in to our receiving core.

I think the consensus is we all like Lucky, and he's clearly a great player, and even fits in great with the "MOS Locker Room (TM)".

What's in dispute is would he be useful to the Bombers.  Some (including me) say probably not (except as a returner).

Maybe it's best we let Lucky shine with ball-chucking teams and QBs... just like BC and M.Reilly!  Who here didn't enjoy watching Lucky light up the league most of the season?  He never would have gotten that opportunity here.

Where else would he make a good fit...?  TOR & MBT would be good.  Maybe MTL/VAJ: though they already have a few Lucky-lites.  Maybe Lapo might be interested if he can get a QB.  Or whatever team ends up with Evans -- especially if Speedy B retires.  Lucky is basically the next Speedy, minus the hands.

Never go full Rider!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2021, 02:53:14 PM »

I think the consensus is we all like Lucky, and he's clearly a great player, and even fits in great with the "MOS Locker Room (TM)".

What's in dispute is would he be useful to the Bombers.  Some (including me) say probably not (except as a returner).

Maybe it's best we let Lucky shine with ball-chucking teams and QBs... just like BC and M.Reilly!  Who here didn't enjoy watching Lucky light up the league most of the season?  He never would have gotten that opportunity here.

Where else would he make a good fit...?  TOR & MBT would be good.  Maybe MTL/VAJ: though they already have a few Lucky-lites.  Maybe Lapo might be interested if he can get a QB.  Or whatever team ends up with Evans -- especially if Speedy B retires.  Lucky is basically the next Speedy, minus the hands.

I see him staying in BC as long as Reilly is their QB, BC needs recognizable "star power" and Lucky can help provide that.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 04:51:36 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2021, 02:16:45 AM »

If Lucky is not too expensive, I would take him in case we lose a receiver from FA or injury.
dd

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2021, 08:10:36 PM »

Lucky just had a career year, he?s going to be expensive, his stock is at an all time high
DM83

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2021, 06:48:34 AM »

Goofy topic.
Lucky was not good enough for,the NFL, and the Bombers.
Fantastic player, probably even better person.
Until,he overcomes his inconsistency he will always get cut.
It's pretty simple, he's not dependable.
As a limited  player( returner) or a jet. Sweep guy, yes he is.  But he's not an ever down receiver

Lawler is awesome, but probably too slow for the NFL, like Steagal and hundreds of others.
I personally think most CFL receivers coul,dHe fitted into a role.  But,....tons of competition, and odds of starting long.
In Canada, those  types of receivers. Have more flexibility.  He doesn't have to be 6'2"  or,run a 4.3 40 yRd dash.  Lawler, and the entire. blue Bomber group have their own unique niche.

Actually every team lost that this last year.

You need a burner -speedy B
A bigger almost as fast, but great hands -Lawler
The second  receiver option- Bailey emerged
A Fast Canadian- Oak Park kid, Nik Demski.
The slow dependable Cdn -Wolitarski

The other guy out there also a U of M kid would be ......played for Toronto.  (Now he may be too beat up.)

Your turn - there are the categories - can you fill them
M in for the other teams.?

For other teams, - Go ahead and fill in a guy in. Each of those categories . 
When you have, then you. Probably have a winning team. This past year not many guys.

I state  that no other team had that combination.
A good QB
A superior  o line that run blocks, pancakes people and looks like they aimed to take. Guys. Five yards or more,downfield.
 A decent RB
A team first  defence.

Lastly, The culture,was accountability and responsibility. Team. Policed, the players. Of course that goes without saying.  A problem in the lockeroom. Or with something is handled in house. ( Lawler)

Also,  the Canadian Mafia. Led the way.  The signing of new contracts by. Gove ia, and McManus is beyond huge. Those five guys are probably all related. By bad option to each other now. They all seem to know what has to be done. then the assistants also have bought in, and then the  door-keepers.

I bet they realize theynhave something special here, and when you have that, there isn't much of anything better..

While Lucky is super, he deserved better, and everyone wanted it for him.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2021, 10:14:03 AM »

Until,he overcomes his inconsistency he will always get cut.
It's pretty simple, he's not dependable.

Great post.  Your phone auto-correct always makes one really have to think hard to decipher what you're saying.  Grin

Yes, Lucky is not dependable, IMHO mostly because he has no hands.  Just awful hands.  I don't know if his arms are short and stubby or something, but total T-rex arms.  OK, I've said that a million times.  Here's the question: Did Speedy B also have bad hands and that's why they relegated him to return duty?  Or did he have great hands and just nobody knew?  The answer to that question could spell the future for Lucky... if Banks had bad hands and somehow improved, there's hope for Lucky.  Maybe there are clinics/coaches that can help with that?

Lawler is awesome, but probably too slow for the NFL, like Steagal and hundreds of others.

Yes, like you said, Lawler too slow and short and skinny.  Same as it ever was in the NFL.  Like you said, the age old question: be a superstar winner in the CFL or a nobody PR 1-year-max guy in the NFL.  But I guess a year of NFL PR money is worth 10 CFL starter years, eh?  But I would hope he'd remember the team that dev'd him to stardom when he returns...

The other guy out there also a U of M kid would be ......played for Toronto.  (Now he may be too beat up.)

Your turn - there are the categories - can you fill them
M in for the other teams.?

Coombs?  He really fell off the radar since 2018 or 2019.  Dropped a lot and doesn't get many reps or attempts.

As for other teams O being complete like WPG... don't think it exists.  HAM 2019 was close.  An O where every player is a weapon is rare.  Maybe BC came close?  TOR was close too.  MTL looked like they were getting there but really petered out and started focusing on just 1-2 WRs.  This is a great question for fantasy fanatics because that's precisely the question we face every week, but in reverse.  In fantasy it's actually easier when the team has 1-2 good WRs.  It's when the whole corps is good that it gets tough (like WPG)... you never know who's going to blow it up each game because they all take turns!  I picked Lawler in GC and it was a horrible, awful, expensive waste.  I was proud to see so many Bomber fans picked Adams though, what foresight and confidence!  Adams was the best price/points ratio on our team that game.

I state  that no other team had that combination.
A good QB
A superior  o line that run blocks, pancakes people and looks like they aimed to take. Guys. Five yards or more,downfield.
 A decent RB
A team first  defence.

You state correctly.  No one was even close in 2021.  HAM was in 2019 though, but their OL imploded in the GC.  I think the biggest stumbling block for teams is the RB spot.  There are so few legit RBs in 2021.  Besides AH, Stanback and Powell, no other RB scared me at all.  Even Powell was fading.  JWJ wildly inconsistent, though much improved over 2019.

I think what we can learn from the WPG dynasty, and even CGY's past dynasty, is that you almost always need a top-2 RB to win the GC.  You must have a strong run game.

As for the Mafia, I think the biggest surprise is how we really didn't skip a beat with Lapo->Buck.  Mafia played that one masterfully.

Never go full Rider!
Sec223

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2021, 10:38:24 AM »

With Lucky showing up in the stands here I get the feeling he's using the Bombers to get a raise with the Lions ?
Blue In BC

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2021, 01:38:01 PM »

I don't know why so many posters seem to want to slag Whitehead. He had a higher reception rate than Lawler. Sure I'd take Lawler over Whitehead but that doesn't mean Whitehead is not a good receiver. Whitehead improved over 2019 and there is no reason to not believe he won't continue to improve in 2022.

He wouldn't have fit our 2021 roster but if we had room for a receiver as a DI that might have been an option. Obviously SMS is always a question.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Jesse

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2021, 02:36:13 PM »

With Lucky showing up in the stands here I get the feeling he's using the Bombers to get a raise with the Lions ?

Or he's just a guy who wanted to party with his friends.

My wife is amazing!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: