Blue Bombers Forum
December 07, 2022, 04:26:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers add to roster - March 22, 2022  (Read 1237 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: March 23, 2022, 02:00:06 PM »

Blue Bombers add to roster

WINNIPEG, MB., March 22, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed American offensive lineman Eric Lofton to a one-year contract.

Lofton (6-4, 300, Temple University; born: March 6, 1993 in Lumberton, NJ) joins the Blue Bombers in 2022 for what will be his fourth season in the Canadian Football League after spending time with Ottawa (2017-18) and Edmonton (2019). He was also under contract with Edmonton through 2020 and the cancellation of the season due to the pandemic before being released in May of 2021. He has six games of CFL experience and was also briefly with B.C. in 2019 before signing in Edmonton.

Lofton played his college ball at Temple, redshirting his first year and then appearing in 37 games over the next four seasons. In 2015, his senior year, he was named a First-Team All-American Athletic Conference all-star.

The club has also signed American defensive back Marlon Character (Louisville).

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
theaardvark

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 02:08:18 PM »

Really loading up on OT's... hope that is looking for the next one, and doesn't mean that there are any issues with SB66 and JH51...

Another good looking DB coming in to compete... such a nice change having competent scouting and a team worth coming to...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 03:09:50 PM »

We sign quite a few OL for each TC in order to run drills. Nothing new here. Usually about 12 OL are required for TC. At least a couple are retained on the PR.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
theaardvark

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 04:03:39 PM »

We sign quite a few OL for each TC in order to run drills. Nothing new here. Usually about 12 OL are required for TC. At least a couple are retained on the PR.

I don't remember signing as many INT OT's as we have this year, I get they need bodies in camp, it seemed that we would normally bring in more NAT / local bodies...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 04:43:47 PM »

I don't remember signing as many INT OT's as we have this year, I get they need bodies in camp, it seemed that we would normally bring in more NAT / local bodies...

Three points:

1. There don't seem to be very many Canadian OL that are free agents out there that would be worth bringing in. Rookie import OL aren't going to be getting signing bonus's.
2. You're assuming that all of these rookie import OL make it to the main TC.
3. Both of our starting imports OL are excellent. However neither are young and both are relatively expensive. Succession plans and injury depth are needed.

Both Bryant and Hardrick could play at a very top level for several seasons. OTOH we may need to make a decision on our OL in 2023 in the same way we did we some other players no longer with team this off season.

Barring injury these extra players are competing for PR spots initially.

I'm still wondering about the status of Eli who IMO would probably start ahead of Gray. How much he'd cost compared to Kolankoski I don't know about that either. I'd prefer that option if we can find a way to make it work.

NOTE: I only see 2 import rookie OL at the moment + Burks re-signed from our PR in 2021. My expectation is 2 will be retained on our PR after TC. That could be 1 or 2 of these 3 or none of them. That's just a evaluation of who we keep after TC.

The number of players on our PR may change this season. It was expanded to include more global players and overall due to no pre season games etc etc. I'd expect it to be 12 but they may retain the expanded 17 player PR again?

« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 04:55:08 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 07:03:47 PM »

Bombers looking good even with most recent losses to FA and trades.
Sec223

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 08:11:56 PM »

Most teams look good in March Smiley
Blue In BC

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2022, 02:20:12 PM »

Optimistically that's true. OTOH we've lost: Adams, Lawler, A. Harris, Desjarlais, Eli,  Alford, Richardson, M. Jones, Darby, Castillo and Grant. That's an enormous amount of talent. The new players added and the veterans that replace some of those starters solve most of the issues but it is a TBD question.

Bombers are in a much better position than many teams.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
blue_gold_84

For The W

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2022, 02:32:41 PM »

Optimistically that's true. OTOH we've lost: Adams, Lawler, A. Harris, Desjarlais, Eli,  Alford, Richardson, M. Jones, Darby, Castillo and Grant. That's an enormous amount of talent. The new players added and the veterans that replace some of those starters solve most of the issues but it is a TBD question.

Bombers are in a much better position than many teams.

Eli and Grant are still free agents.

I agree the roster has lost some considerable talent, though.

#forthew

Slava Ukraini!
Blue In BC

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2022, 02:53:27 PM »

Eli and Grant are still free agents.

I agree the roster has lost some considerable talent, though.

Until those players decide what they are doing, it's still possible we may see one or both return. I forgot to mention the loss of Kongbo and Hansen previously.

In the meantime it's a question of new depth behind those that are moving up as starters replacing those that left.

There will be a few more new players that actually make the 46 man roster just from a pure math point of view. I mentioned earlier that's really 1 new import receiver and a returner and all 4 DI's at the moment. Then it's Canadian and global draft choices to sort out.

Bombers have been doing well finding new talent each year. Obviously we don't know who those players will be at the moment and it may take a game or two or an injury to see how the back ups perform.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 02:59:06 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
theaardvark

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2022, 10:11:13 PM »

Bob Irving@BobIrvingCJOB
?
1h
Blue Bombers sign WR Antonio Nunn from the U. Of Buffalo. Checkout his hilite reel, he looks like he might be a good catch(pardon the pun).

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2022, 03:49:04 AM »

Bob Irving@BobIrvingCJOB
?
1h
Blue Bombers sign WR Antonio Nunn from the U. Of Buffalo. Checkout his hilite reel, he looks like he might be a good catch(pardon the pun).

Bob's not wrong, lookin good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEYQJJbMAhk&ab_channel=JustBombsProductions
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: