Blue Bombers Forum
October 01, 2022, 01:55:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HAM OL stopped our J's  (Read 1912 times)
TecnoGenius

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2021, 07:42:19 AM »

They were playing the knockdown/contain and not the pressure rush.  And they were still dominating on the line. Simply the best.

Were they though?  Even from the beginning before they knew how good HAM's OL was going to play?  I haven't rewatched the whole game yet, so I haven't had time to dissect what our DL was doing.

If you're right, that might be some smart, coy planning by Hall... HAM works like mad leading up to the game to stop our pass rush and then we don't bother!  Hehe.

However, I did notice during the game that when Masoli first came in, and for a while after, we were blitzing a lot more.  I guess Hall figured Masoli wasn't ready and could get rattled.  It's the smart assumption, but HAM beat it for the most part.

Never go full Rider!
road griller

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2021, 07:36:30 PM »

Were they though?  Even from the beginning before they knew how good HAM's OL was going to play?  I haven't rewatched the whole game yet, so I haven't had time to dissect what our DL was doing.

If you're right, that might be some smart, coy planning by Hall... HAM works like mad leading up to the game to stop our pass rush and then we don't bother!  Hehe.

However, I did notice during the game that when Masoli first came in, and for a while after, we were blitzing a lot more.  I guess Hall figured Masoli wasn't ready and could get rattled.  It's the smart assumption, but HAM beat it for the most part.

They were trying to knock the ball down a lot, remember the play where Evans was hurt?  Willy hit him on the head (by accident) trying to knock the pass down instead of going for the sack.  I noticed other players on the line doing it as well on several plays. 

Can't go wrong when you go long!
dd

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2021, 12:43:09 AM »

They were trying to knock the ball doen a lot because they weren?t getting home. I give full marks to the Hamilton O line, they did a great job on our D line but by th same token th D line played well, it was a war out there.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2021, 01:27:50 AM »

They were trying to knock the ball doen a lot because they weren?t getting home. I give full marks to the Hamilton O line, they did a great job on our D line but by th same token th D line played well, it was a war out there.

They did get more aggressive on the pass rush when Masoli first came in.

Strange how "we weren't getting home" yet we dominated the Sacks (3 to 1) and Knockdowns (5 to 1) stats.  Maybe we are too spoiled with our DL that we consider that an "off day".  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy   But even though we rarely "got home", the J's and interior certainly kept the QBs on their toes and uncomfortable, especially early.  You could tell the QBs were never happy in the pocket.  (Contrast with Zach, cool as a cucumber behind our guys, even when they were being hosed with stunts.)

Maybe part of our "backing off" had to do with knowing that HAM must have been prioritizing getting the ball out quickly.  Evans (then Masoli) weren't hanging onto it for an hour like Evans did in the 2019 GC.  I don't think they ever took any real deep shots or many double-move routes.

In fact, HAM almost won this GC with their run and screen game.  Quite a surprise, really, but maybe expected knowing that HAM wasn't going to repeat the 2019 mistakes.  This game was kind of like the 2019 game turned upside down... but that is the smart chess move.

Never go full Rider!
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: