Off Season Player Signings - Teams Other than the Bombers

Started by ModAdmin, December 15, 2021, 06:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on February 07, 2022, 08:23:01 PM
Happens all the time. He can sign for back-up money now, or wait for an (inevitable) injury and sign for starter money.

Injuries happen all the time but the QB's signed in those situations mostly become the # 3 QB and not the # 2 QB. Unless the # 1 QB is injured long term. Even then, not being on a roster and having to get up to game speed quickly is iffy. Possible but not probable IMO.

His best option is to sign as a # 2 QB somewhere.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

ModAdmin

Dave Naylor
@TSNDaveNaylor
1h
Hearing that former @Wpg_BlueBombers
WR Kenny Lawler has made his commitment to the @elks
At $300k, he becomes the @CFL's highest paid receiver.#CFL #Elks
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

dd

Trevor Harris will surface on some teams roster some time during this season. Last season BLM, Arbuckle, Evans, Masoli, Nichols, Davis and Adams all got injured. That?s 7 Qbs. He?s 1 hit away from starting as he?s better than any teams backup Qb, our team included.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Jesse on February 07, 2022, 08:23:01 PM
Happens all the time. He can sign for back-up money now, or wait for an (inevitable) injury and sign for starter money.

Best not to be out of sight for too long as you may never be in sight again. At some point for older QB's you need to accept the backup/mentor role. With injuries you are always one play away from starting though. Bombers could use him if he comes in at a normal backup QB rate. BC can't be relying on an unproven Canadian QB either so BC seems more likely than anywhere he should go. Sask and Toronto have no decent backup QB that I know of either.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 07, 2022, 10:59:17 PM
Dave Naylor
@TSNDaveNaylor
1h
Hearing that former @Wpg_BlueBombers
WR Kenny Lawler has made his commitment to the @elks
At $300k, he becomes the @CFL's highest paid receiver.#CFL #Elks
A pity dude goes away. Give the guy a chance succeed within a great culture despite personnel demons and screws off after 1 great season. Bloody pity no loyalty.
Wouldn?t the surprised to see him face plant else where.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

the paw

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 08, 2022, 02:10:55 AM
A pity dude goes away. Give the guy a chance succeed within a great culture despite personnel demons and screws off after 1 great season. Bloody pity no loyalty.
Wouldn?t the surprised to see him face plant else where.

Don't be bitter.  Last year at $93k pro-rated, he was underpaid for leading the league.  The WBB didn't restructure his contract upwards.  The pendulum swings both ways, can't blame the man for getting paid.  You might be able to expect to get a bit of a loyalty discount, but I don't think we would have matched BC offer of $250k never mind $300k.  That is a bridge too far.....
grab grass 'n growl

Horseman

Quote from: the paw on February 08, 2022, 02:49:08 AM
Don't be bitter.  Last year at $93k pro-rated, he was underpaid for leading the league.  The WBB didn't restructure his contract upwards.  The pendulum swings both ways, can't blame the man for getting paid.  You might be able to expect to get a bit of a loyalty discount, but I don't think we would have matched BC offer of $250k never mind $300k.  That is a bridge too far.....

Yes, I agree, can't begrudge Lawler for signing with another team for $300K, good for him! As they say football is a business.

Pigskin

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 07, 2022, 10:59:17 PM
Dave Naylor
@TSNDaveNaylor
1h
Hearing that former @Wpg_BlueBombers
WR Kenny Lawler has made his commitment to the @elks
At $300k, he becomes the @CFL's highest paid receiver.#CFL #Elks

I wouldn't think the Bombers are anywhere near this offer. $300K, can't blame the guy for take the money.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: the paw on February 08, 2022, 02:49:08 AM
Don't be bitter.  Last year at $93k pro-rated, he was underpaid for leading the league.  The WBB didn't restructure his contract upwards.  The pendulum swings both ways, can't blame the man for getting paid.  You might be able to expect to get a bit of a loyalty discount, but I don't think we would have matched BC offer of $250k never mind $300k.  That is a bridge too far.....
I don?t need to to like and I don?t. Whatever I hope we squash the the Deers if they get Lawless.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

DM83

Didn't they sign Walker also.?
How do they afford two stupidly paid guys?

Ridermania


DM83


kkc60

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 08, 2022, 02:10:55 AM
A pity dude goes away. Give the guy a chance succeed within a great culture despite personnel demons and screws off after 1 great season. Bloody pity no loyalty.
Wouldn?t the surprised to see him face plant else where.
Yikes.

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

kkc60