Off Season Player Signings - Teams Other than the Bombers

Started by ModAdmin, December 15, 2021, 06:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCn19

Quote from: theaardvark on January 11, 2022, 05:01:55 PM
Still think his body of work will land Lawler an NFL opportunity.  And even maybe Bailey.  IF they return, they deserve top dollar, for sure.  And I have faith that saner heads will start to see what an illogical SMS move the Lucky signing was.  Adams is probably going to get slightly less money offered, and may stay in spite of other GM's making him an offer (I can see Ott coming after some of our O)

I think the biggest issue with us "making a fair market offer" to our players is they all played too good, and what is "fair" will not be affordable for all of them.  We won't be able to sign them all for "fair" wages. We might squeeze one or two more in because of small Walters negotiated discounts, but we *are* going to lose players.  We are going to have holes to fill because there are just too many players to resign that deserve raises.  I am very happy so far at the ones we have locked down, and hope there are a few more coming before FA...

No doubt there will be a lot of guys on the outside looking in because of SMS restraints. I don't suspect that Lawler will be one of them that we deem as too expensive, nor is he someone we will attempt to lowball.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

Sir Blue and Gold

I think Lawler landing an NFL spot is a bit of a longshot. It could happen I suppose. He's got the height but he's 27, was already looked at once (drafted in the 7th round) and has a recent DUI which the NFL won't like one bit. There are a ton of good receivers available down there and that's a position that is notoriously hard for CFL players to crack.

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 12, 2022, 02:22:33 PM
I think Lawler landing an NFL spot is a bit of a longshot. It could happen I suppose. He's got the height but he's 27, was already looked at once (drafted in the 7th round) and has a recent DUI which the NFL won't like one bit. There are a ton of good receivers available down there and that's a position that is notoriously hard for CFL players to crack.

His body of work and highlight reel from last year will get him serious looks. 

As to the DUI, he was upfront, contrite and his team accepted him back without question.  In a league with players like Antonio Brown, a DUI will hardly stop a player being signed.

I really think we will see him in the NFL next year, and for a couple years.  He has the size and skills, and has developed before our eyes these last 2 years into the best in the league.  There is no reason he can't get a gig and stick in the NFL.  He's not the player he was 2 years ago...

Sucks, really... but I think we are going to lose 3 or 4 to the NFL this year... when was the last time that happened to a team, let alone the entire league.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 12, 2022, 03:33:59 PM
Last time was 2019 for the Bombers: Streveler, Kongbo, Rose and Sayles. You have a short memory.

Sayles went to BC, not the NFL...   but true... we are generating prospects...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

#139
Quote from: theaardvark on January 12, 2022, 03:38:56 PM
Sayles went to BC, not the NFL...   but true... we are generating prospects...

IIRC he spent 2020 NFL PR time on Vikings roster after bring released by Bombers to explore NFL opportunities.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GCn19

Quote from: theaardvark on January 12, 2022, 03:38:56 PM
Sayles went to BC, not the NFL...   but true... we are generating prospects...

Yep...he only went to BC after his NFL shot.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 12, 2022, 03:43:53 PM
IIRC he spent 2020 NFL PR time on Vikings roster after bring released by Bombers to explore NFL opportunities.

I stand corrected...yes, he did toil for the Vikes on their PR...

OK, so we sent 4 to the NFL in 2020... 1 is still down there, 2 came home ,and one defected to BC.  I'm happy if we can maintain that retention post NFL look...  betting that most of them realize the best way to get another look is to come back here...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

#142
Quote from: theaardvark on January 12, 2022, 03:52:49 PM
I stand corrected...yes, he did toil for the Vikes on their PR...

OK, so we sent 4 to the NFL in 2020... 1 is still down there, 2 came home ,and one defected to BC.  I'm happy if we can maintain that retention post NFL look...  betting that most of them realize the best way to get another look is to come back here...

Kongbo is down there again and we might lose Rose as well. I'm not a fan of 1 year deals but it's the nature of the CBA. Actually we might lose Castillo taking another shot too. Since Rose and Castillo only played 3 regular season games we aren't exactly shedding SMS either. Kongbo played all 14 games but what his 2021 SMS was IDK.

Lawler, Nichols, Bailey and Richardson are not locks to stay in the CFL.

Bad enough losing players to other CFL teams but going to NFL still hurts.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GCn19

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 12, 2022, 04:19:04 PM
Kongbo is down there again and we might lose Rose as well. I'm not a fan of 1 year deals but it's the nature of the CBA. Actually we might lose Castillo taking another shot too. Since Rose and Castillo only played 3 regular season games we aren't exactly shedding SMS either. Kongbo played all 14 games but what his 2021 SMS was IDK.

Lawler Nichols, Bailey and Richardson are not locks to stay in the CFL.

Bad enough losing players to other CFL teams but going to NFL still hurts.

I'd rather lose them to the NFL than to our opponents, but it still weakens out team all the same.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

Tiger

Dane Evans signed with the Cats but I don?t see how much the contract was for. 
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Tiger on January 13, 2022, 01:46:39 AM
Dane Evans signed with the Cats but I don?t see how much the contract was for. 

From the articles I read online so far, Evans is their de facto #1 QB now. So Masoli is free to look elsewhere I am assuming unless he wants to play for backup money in Steeltown.

Jesse

Quote from: ichabod_crane on January 13, 2022, 07:33:49 AM
From the articles I read online so far, Evans is their de facto #1 QB now. So Masoli is free to look elsewhere I am assuming unless he wants to play for backup money in Steeltown.

Also the issue that Masoli wasn't vaxxed and might not be able to play at all.

I don't know who else is a potential starter still floating around, but it seems like it's Ottawa or bust.

I can't see any of the remaining teams letting their QBs walk away unless Reilly retires.
My wife is amazing!

Ridermania

Masoli is not vaxxed, this will play a major part of getting into Canada and flying across the country.

Evans contract is high 300's - low 400's with bonus numbers.

GCn19

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 12, 2022, 02:22:33 PM
I think Lawler landing an NFL spot is a bit of a longshot. It could happen I suppose. He's got the height but he's 27, was already looked at once (drafted in the 7th round) and has a recent DUI which the NFL won't like one bit. There are a ton of good receivers available down there and that's a position that is notoriously hard for CFL players to crack.

Logic doesn't always dictate what the NFL does. Look at Lenius...he got an NFL contract.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

Blue In BC

#149
Quote from: Ridermania on January 13, 2022, 11:53:28 AM
Masoli is not vaxxed, this will play a major part of getting into Canada and flying across the country.

Evans contract is high 300's - low 400's with bonus numbers.

Didn't know he was not vaccinated. It's reasonable to expect same travel restriction issues for at least part of 2022. That makes getting a new contract problematic for a few players. It's either get vaccinated or retire from football?

I had expected Masoli to be the odd QB out in Hamilton but not for that reason. Paying both QB's and not having an SMS issue was more my thinking. To that end I felt he'd be the one headed to Ottawa.

The concern for the Bombers now is that Ottawa might make an " over bid contract " to Collaros. Throw in the possibility that Reilly retires.  Yikes.
2019 Grey Cup Champions