Blue Bombers roster - 2021-2022

Started by gobombersgo, December 14, 2021, 05:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Interesting listening to O'Shea's interview today, he wouldn't directly admit it but he almost made it sound like Kona has displaced Couture as the starting Center.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 06, 2022, 04:29:33 AM
Interesting listening to O'Shea's interview today, he wouldn't directly admit it but he almost made it sound like Kona has displaced Couture as the starting Center.

I can certainly see not wanting to upset the status quo now that they've gelled.

This process took significant time and it probably wouldn't be smart to change it right now.
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Jesse on October 06, 2022, 12:28:39 PM
I can certainly see not wanting to upset the status quo now that they've gelled.

This process took significant time and it probably wouldn't be smart to change it right now.
Agree....good chemistry on any team is a delicate balance and it doesn't take much to upset it either!
Bomber fan for life

M.O.A.B.

as they said, "don't fix what is not broken"

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on October 06, 2022, 03:03:50 PM
as they said, "don't fix what is not broken"

OTOH how about a starter doesn't lose his position due to an injury? It's a slippery slope and depends on how long a starter has been out and how the replacement has performed. To some degree a starter that has been out for a considerable time ( like 6 game IR ) might take a couple of games to be game conditioned both physically and mentally.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

3rdand1.5

Why rush him in and potentially upset the current chemistry. Koman is doing fine, the O-line has chemistry and has grown week over week. Chemistry is so important along the line. I get the point of you don't lose your spot to injury, but in this case, working him back as we are, is a good call. What a luxury to have Couture as a 6th lineman extra blocker. my 2 cents anyway.

M.O.A.B.

The Bombers culture that O'Shea instilled enables them to this. These players are not divas. FIFO as what their mantra says.
Sometimes we talk like these players are on a Riders locker room. C'mon.

Also, not much credit are being given to Costello the OL coach. He's doing an amazing job with this OL.

Pigskin

Kolski67 is also signed for next year, along with Gray, and Dobson. We just added Szott who is a big young player with some CFL experience. I think Couture is a free agent at the end of the season. Hardrick, Neufled and Bryant all on 1-year deals. Expecting at least 2 of them to return for next season. I would say our OL is looking pretty good for near future.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on October 06, 2022, 03:47:43 PM
Why rush him in and potentially upset the current chemistry. Koman is doing fine, the O-line has chemistry and has grown week over week. Chemistry is so important along the line. I get the point of you don't lose your spot to injury, but in this case, working him back as we are, is a good call. What a luxury to have Couture as a 6th lineman extra blocker. my 2 cents anyway.

It's been 3 games so they're hardly rushing Couture back into action, I think there is a danger if Couture is not reinstalled as the starting Center before the end of the season, he chooses to go elsewhere in F.A.. O'Shea can claim everyone is happy with their roles within the dressing room, but competitive athletes want to play and be acknowledged. 

Couture is not big for a Center but he has a height advantage at 6'-4" vs. Kolankowski at 6'-1", they both weigh in around 310 lbs, Couture is also 2 years younger at 28, push comes to shove I start Couture.

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 06, 2022, 03:10:50 PM
OTOH how about a starter doesn't lose his position due to an injury? It's a slippery slope and depends on how long a starter has been out and how the replacement has performed. To some degree a starter that has been out for a considerable time ( like 6 game IR ) might take a couple of games to be game conditioned both physically and mentally.

That's a terrible philosophy that doesn't hold true.

You start the players that give you the best chance to win. Many opportunities for new players come from injury.

A perfectly Couture probably is the better player. But the OL is a unit and it took time this season to get to the level of proficiency with which they've been  playing.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on October 06, 2022, 05:18:24 PM
That's a terrible philosophy that doesn't hold true.

You start the players that give you the best chance to win. Many opportunities for new players come from injury.

A perfectly Couture probably is the better player. But the OL is a unit and it took time this season to get to the level of proficiency with which they've been  playing.

Not at all. They determined the starters in TC and from play in 2021. By definition they determined those were the better players. It's a common mantra in most sports. You did notice that Alexander became the starter again when he was healthy after missing 13 or 14 games?

You think if Houston was healthy this week he wouldn't be starting again. Taylor, Ellingson or Wilson starting?

Couture is a 6 year player with the Bombers with 90 games under his belt. He started the season at center.  Kolankowski is a 2nd year Bomber and staring because Couture was injured. While he's doing well that doesn't mean Couture won't be starting by the time we play the Lions.

Obviously the longer a starter is out, the better chance another player has to win the starting role. That's not often true when it comes to a player that has been on the roster for many seasons and was the starter versus a 1st year starter.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 06, 2022, 05:30:41 PM
Not at all. They determined the starters in TC and from play in 2021. By definition they determined those were the better players. It's a common mantra in most sports. You did notice that Alexander became the starter again when he was healthy after missing 13 or 14 games?

You think if Houston was healthy this week he wouldn't be starting again. Taylor, Ellingson or Wilson starting?

Couture is a 6 year player with the Bombers with 90 games under his belt. He started the season at center.  Kolankowski is a 2nd year Bomber and staring because Couture was injured. While he's doing well that doesn't mean Couture won't be starting by the time we play the Lions.

Obviously the longer a starter is out, the better chance another player has to win the starting role. That's not often true when it comes to a player that has been on the roster for many seasons and was the starter versus a 1st year starter.

A player can absolutely lose his spot due to injury.

All the players you mentioned are clearly better than the people who replaced them. Houston is an example of someone the coaches did not deem a starter in TC but quickly proved his worth when he got an opportunity early in the season.

In the case of Couture, clearly the coaches have concerns about disrupting the OL as a whole.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on October 06, 2022, 06:56:24 PM

All the players you mentioned are clearly better than the people who replaced them. Houston is an example of someone the coaches did not deem a starter in TC but quickly proved his worth when he got an opportunity early in the season.

In the case of Couture, clearly the coaches have concerns about disrupting the OL as a whole.

Houston did not earn his starting role due to injury. He was a 2nd year player, with little experience starting.  Glass was a veteran signed for TC found wanting and he was released outright. Nothing to do with an injury except possibly Houston coming out of TC not totally healthy or not quite prepared to be the starter?

The coaches may not want to disrupt the OL at the moment or are waiting to ease Couture back into that role. It's still a TBD.

Very seldom when a starter is injured that his replacement out performs him and becomes the starter full time.  Very seldom a rookie wins a starting role over an incumbent and even less as a result of an injury.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

We have no idea how well recovered Couture is.  Sure, he can come in for Jumbo, etc, but is his conditioning recovered enough to play a full game at C.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on October 06, 2022, 06:56:24 PM

See: Matt Nichols
Never go full Rider!