Blue Bombers roster - 2021-2022

Started by gobombersgo, December 14, 2021, 05:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

I notice Calgary Hufnagle getting ahead of the curve signing some of their younger stars ie Maier and Malik Henry to extensions. Should we be looking at doing the same, especially with Schoen ?
This is the type of move that makes Calgary a playoff team year to year.

theaardvark

Quote from: Pete on October 05, 2022, 08:22:23 PM
I notice Calgary Hufnagle getting ahead of the curve signing some of their younger stars ie Maier and Malik Henry to extensions. Should we be looking at doing the same, especially with Schoen ?

Shoen probably exercises the NFL window... he's already under his ELC for at least next year.  So, "extending" him really makes no sense, unless he forgoes his NFL window.

Walters has never had a problem resigning the players he wants (can play and can afford) on the team.  I have no issues waiting to re-sign players until after the year.

Look at Edm, gives Corny a big raise/extension, and he poops the bed.

Off season is the time for contract discussions / negotation,  Unless you are giving away the farm, then go ahead and do it now...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

M.O.A.B.

panic panic

Blue In BC

We don't usually seem these extensions until after the season if over. I wonder if there was a change in the new CBA that allowed this to happen? I'm in favour if getting as many extensions done before free agency as possible whether that is before or after the end of the season.

The one year contracts mean large numbers of players to deal with impending free agency. It's not panic it's just business dealing with potential extensions.

Regarding Schoen, I'd certainly hope he wants to stay in the CFL and will consider an extension.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 05, 2022, 08:31:38 PM
We don't usually seem these extensions until after the season if over. I wonder if there was a change in the new CBA that allowed this to happen? I'm in favour if getting as many extensions done before free agency as possible whether that is before or after the end of the season.

The one year contracts mean large numbers of players to deal with impending free agency. It's not panic it's just business dealing with potential extensions.

Regarding Schoen, I'd certainly hope he wants to stay in the CFL and will consider an extension.

There's an ample time for that after the season. It's just a distraction to the player(s) involve. The focus should be the playoffs and GC after that.

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on October 05, 2022, 08:35:34 PM
There's an ample time for that after the season. It's just a distraction to the player(s) involve. The focus should be the playoffs and GC after that.

It's not a distraction anymore than adding players to the PR or making a trade.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 05, 2022, 08:39:48 PM
It's not a distraction anymore than adding players to the PR or making a trade.

Obviously, that's not how Walters operate. He'll continue to do the extension talks in the off-season. And the first domino to fall is Collaros.

Pete

In terms of distractions and how we do business,  every year were getting more and more players that we have to sign. With the new cba you are able to now sign players with partially guaranteed contracts so the landscape has changed. To me Hufnagel has been the best gm over a long period of time in the CFL and i would think his way of doing business is very good. In fact over the last few years the bombers have tried to emulate Calgary with a lot of success.
(this is not to say Walters isn't good in fact I'm a big fan of what hes done)

theaardvark

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on October 05, 2022, 08:48:13 PM
Obviously, that's not how Walters operate. He'll continue to do the extension talks in the off-season. And the first domino to fall is Collaros  Mike O'Shea.

Fixed it for ya
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: theaardvark on October 05, 2022, 10:02:08 PM
Fixed it for ya

I think we were talking about players. Get your number first.  ;D

Pete

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on October 05, 2022, 08:48:13 PM
Obviously, that's not how Walters operate. He'll continue to do the extension talks in the off-season. And the first domino to fall is Collaros.
i think your right that if we were to do any extensions we would have to do the mop first

theaardvark

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on October 05, 2022, 10:07:24 PM
I think we were talking about players. Get your number first.  ;D

Sure... but not sure if Collaros re-signs if MOS is not under contract...  likewise a lot of players...

Pigskin

Quote from: theaardvark on October 05, 2022, 10:32:54 PM
Sure... but not sure if Collaros re-signs if MOS is not under contract...  likewise a lot of players...

When I see comments like this, it makes me laugh. MOS isn't going anywhere.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Quote from: Pigskin on October 05, 2022, 11:19:32 PM

When I see comments like this, it makes me laugh. MOS isn't going anywhere.

We all hope that is true, but until the ink is dry on his new deal, there is always a chance.

Pigskin

Quote from: theaardvark on October 06, 2022, 12:04:41 AM
We all hope that is true, but until the ink is dry on his new deal, there is always a chance.

Is this like the MS55 trade that was taking place this summer.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.