Blue Bombers roster - 2021-2022

Started by gobombersgo, December 14, 2021, 05:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on June 05, 2022, 01:05:03 AM
I think MOAB is pretty close.  They always carry a healthy number of DBs, and with Rose still on the mend and Rutledge unproven, I imagine they want some options.  I'm not sure if Neufeld is healthy either.

I think they like Holm as a returner, so that gives some flexibility in how they use Grant.

You're still only allowed 4 DI's and Grant would be one of them. If they use 3 spots on DL they won't have room for McCrae. Returning aside he's of no value as a RB because it would force a ratio change on offence. So zero chance IMO.

Another DB would make more sense. Houston for example. He could go in on 6 DB sets, rotation or injury situations.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 05, 2022, 01:20:59 AM
You're still only allowed 4 DI's and Grant would be one of them. If they use 3 spots on DL they won't have room for McCrae. Returning aside he's of no value as a RB because it would force a ratio change on offence. So zero chance IMO.

Another DB would make more sense. Houston for example. He could go in on 6 DB sets, rotation or injury situations.

I'm not talking about McCrae, I'm talking about Holm.  If the lack of depth at WR became a problem, you could start Grant at WR and bring on Holm in his DI spot.  He could also play as a dime DB in that scenario.

McCrae is going on the PR until either Augustine or Oliveira gets injured.

We are going to have one DI as returner, the other 3 on defence.  One has to be a DE.  We usually use another at LB, but if Briggs reports maybe we use the second DI on a DT.  We normally have a DI in the secondary and I expect Houston will be that guy, but there is a chance we have enough Hallets and a Ford that we could not go DI there and stay national for our sixth.

grab grass 'n growl

Pete

We look to be about 7 -8 over,likely to appear on injury list..doing a quick check of Edmonton looks like Jones is up to old tricks of a taxi squad with about 14 over

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers announce jersey number changes

WINNIPEG, MB., June 4, 2022 - The following players have updated their jersey numbers for the 2022 season, and will now be wearing the following numbers:

#0 Malik Clements

#18 Ali Mourtada

#26 Cedrick Lavigne

#29 Greg McCrae

#32 Konner Burtenshaw

#39 Patrice Rene

#55 Eric Lofton

#57 Cameron Durley

#81 Tavaris Harrison
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

gobombersgo

ROSTER CUT DOWN FINALIZED
By Ed Tait

WHO'S RETURNING

QB: Zach Collaros, Dru Brown

RB: Brady Oliveira*, Johnny Augustine*

FB: Mike Miller*

WR: Nic Demski*, Rasheed Bailey, Drew Wolitarsky*, Kelvin McKnight, Janarion Grant, Brendan O'Leary-Orange*

OL: Stanley Bryant, Geoff Gray*, Michael Couture*, Pat Neufeld*, Jermarcus Hardrick, Chris Kolankowski*, Drew Richmond (inj)

DL: Jackson Jeffcoat, Willie Jefferson, Jake Thomas*, Casey Sayles, Ricky Walker

LB: Adam Bighill, Kyrie Wilson, Shayne Gauthier*, Tanner Cadwallader*, Jesse Briggs*, Les Maruo (Global)

DB: Nick Taylor, Deatrick Nichols, Brandon Alexander (inj), Winston Rose, Nick Hallett*, Noah Hallett* (inj), Demerio Houston, Redha Kramdi*, Mercy Maston (inj)

LS: Mike Benson*

K: Marc Liegghio*

WHO'S NEW:

WR: Greg Ellingson, Dalton Schoen

OL: Liam Dobson*

QB: Dakota Prukop

DL: Cam Lawson*, L.B. Mack III, Cedric Wilcots II

LB: Malik Clements

DB: Tyquwan Glass, Tyrell Ford*, Malcolm Thompson*, Donald Rutledge, Jr

WHAT SOME OF THIS MEANS

The signing of Ellingson and the emergence of Schoen in camp gives the Blue Bombers receiving corps a veteran piece and a promising newcomer as replacements to Kenny Lawler (Edmonton) and Darvin Adams (Ottawa), who left in free agency.

Moving Mourtada to the practice roster could mean Liegghio opens the season handling all three kicking chores - place kicking, punting and kickoffs.

The team's top picks in the last two drafts - Dobson (third overall in 2021) and Ford (13th overall in 2022) - both made the team.

Prukop (Edmonton), Clements (Edmonton), Glass (Montreal), Lawson (Montreal), Thompson (Hamilton) - along with Ellingson - are all new additions with previous CFL experience.

Rutledge, Jr., who had been getting a lot of work at the dime back spot even before Maston's injury, is the leading candidate to take over that vacant starter spot - held by Alden Darby (now in Hamilton) last year.

There are 15 players drafted by the Blue Bombers on the roster with another three of their picks on the practice squad.
*Indicates Canadian

https://www.bluebombers.com/2022/06/04/roster-cut-down-finalized/

Sir Blue and Gold

I wonder how hurt Rose is, truly? Trumaine Washington is now available.

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on June 05, 2022, 02:14:52 AM
I'm not talking about McCrae, I'm talking about Holm.  If the lack of depth at WR became a problem, you could start Grant at WR and bring on Holm in his DI spot.  He could also play as a dime DB in that scenario.

McCrae is going on the PR until either Augustine or Oliveira gets injured.

We are going to have one DI as returner, the other 3 on defence.  One has to be a DE.  We usually use another at LB, but if Briggs reports maybe we use the second DI on a DT.  We normally have a DI in the secondary and I expect Houston will be that guy, but there is a chance we have enough Hallets and a Ford that we could not go DI there and stay national for our sixth.

Picking the DI's is going to interesting once all is settled. In the past we did tend to have a LB as a DI but that was when we had Kongbo and Hansen as rotation players at DE. Now our Canadian depth / options on the DL is reduced. We might end up with 2 DE's and 1 DT as well as Grant. Definitely will have an extra import DT but if we start a Canadian at safety he wouldn't necessarily be a DI. We'd have one DE or DT as a non starting, non DI import.

Now the question is whether Clement could be used in some sort of rotation player at DE. He's about 10 lbs lighter than Mack and 25 less than Wilcots but Wilcot is 3" taller.

Ok. Holm could be the next man up if either Grant is injured or needed to start due to injury at receiver. That could be the new pecking order. We only have Harrison at receiver on the PR. That may or may not change as teams scour cuts from around the league.

IMO we move Alexander, Hallett, Richmond, McKnight and Maston to the IR. Richmond might be " suspended " for off season surgery. Depends if it was a football injury in 2021.

One of the 2 QB's needs to move to 1 game IR? I'm not convinced one way or the other which that will be.

By my count that leaves one extra import player, one of Mack, Wilcots, Houston, Walker or Clement that has to come off the AR to reach the 46 man roster. Grant will be one of the DI's.

Now if Rose can't play and ends up on the 1 game IR, that changes the formula. Twice IMO. We'd need to keep Houston and might need an import DB as a DI due to an inexperienced rookie SAM and 1st year Glass in our secondary.  I wouldn't want to see us with 2 Canadians starting if we have an in game injury.

There is still some chance we only start Thomas on defence and go import at safety but it doesn't look that way at the moment.

If we get Gauthier and Briggs back that might change the need for a LB as a DI. Global Mauro is a LB on the AR which falls into the mix as well.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Zach Schnitzer

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 05, 2022, 11:45:16 AM
I wonder how hurt Rose is, truly? Trumaine Washington is now available.
he?ll start week one I believe.
#fortheW

Pete

still have concerns on our secondary, with Hallet at safety (lacks speed and physicality),and with.taylor and Houston on roster we're vulnerable

theaardvark

Quote from: Pete on June 05, 2022, 06:01:34 PM
still have concerns on our secondary, with Hallet at safety (lacks speed and physicality),and with.taylor and Houston on roster we're vulnerable

We might see Ford at FS, he's got the speed and physicality... how the DB's are distributed, and the NAT's will depend a lot on how our D coaches decide to address the hashmark change. 

We seem to find great DB's who fit into our system every year... this year, that might include ratio breakers. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Pete on June 05, 2022, 06:01:34 PM

I dont worry a bit. Hall and Younger has already shown they can turn rookies in all-stars.
Taylor is a great player.
Pretty confident that Glass will occupy the corner vacated by Alford.
Houston will only be a backup if he's in the roster.
I have a feeling Thompson will be a starter sooner than later. He is physical.
Although, physicality is not the only thing needed in the secondary, sure-tackling is also needed.

Pete

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on June 05, 2022, 06:35:41 PM
I dont worry a bit. Hall and Younger has already shown they can turn rookies in all-stars.
Taylor is a great player.
Pretty confident that Glass will occupy the corner vacated by Alford.
Houston will only be a backup if he's in the roster.
I have a feeling Thompson will be a starter sooner than later. He is physical.
Although, physicality is not the only thing needed in the secondary, sure-tackling is also needed.

Taylor has been good but not many 34 yr old DbS, and with recievers i.e. Cotoy, Williams, Schafer Baker getting bigger it's more of a challenge especially  without Alexander at safety

pjrocksmb

This is a solid lineup and when healthy we will dominate once again

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers Transactions - June 5, 2022

WINNIPEG, MB., June 5, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following transactions:

Added to Suspended:

American quarterback Joe Mancuso
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

gobombersgo