Blue Bombers roster - 2021-2022

Started by gobombersgo, December 14, 2021, 05:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 18, 2022, 05:43:06 PM
It's not an impossible possibility. Walters will know how negotiations are going and whether Collaros is going to test free agency. Preferably we re-sign him before getting into a bidding war out east.

However, if the worst case scenario happens then we'll be shopping for Masoli, MBT or Harris. Masoli might not even be available to play due to vax status. I don't really want MBT as a starter and Harris is not as good as Collaros. It's also possible one of those 3 takes a cut to remain as # 2 where they are or they sign in Ottawa.

Masoli doesn't even show as a potential free agent. IDK if they've re-structured his deal or will try to do so or trade him now that Evans has re-signed. Lot's of if's in these equations.

Let's hope it doesn't come down to that. Choices are limited at best.

Yah, Plan B would probably come down to one of those 3, unless Nichols has recuperated sufficiently to return to form which would make 4 options.  The new GM in Ottawa, Shawn Burke is not showing any urgency in bringing in another QB, but he may be bluffing, I expect his prime target will be Masoli who he worked with in Hamilton and would fit in well with LaPo's offence.

I think any of those 4 options would be able to pilot the Bombers to a comfortable playoff spot and look good doing so, but predicting anything beyond that is questionable.

3rdand1.5

Still lots of time to sign ZC, that said we are back to back champs with a team full of allstars we won't be able to afford them all. If ZC wants to test FA he has deserved the right to do that.....as good as he is and has been for us I stand by we can not "Reilly" ourselves out of the rest of the team with too high a contract for a QB. Would there be a drop off almost a guarantee, but would it be worse a multi position drop-off?

Harris may be good plan B. He would be another guy coming in with something to prove with great supporting cast..kinda like ZC did in 2019, and one would assume at much cap friendlier contract.

Pigskin

ZC8 just mite be taking his time and waiting to see who we sign on the OL and at RB. We are all talking about our OL, but to this point none of our Canadian RB's have been signed. No Bailey, Lawler, or even Adams. Lot's of holes in our O at this point.

If ZC8 doesn't sign, I am looking at Masoli first, Harris second. MBT is up and down like a rollercoaster.  Strev could also play a part in all of this. And a HARD NO on Nichols.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

the paw

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on January 18, 2022, 07:11:45 PM
Still lots of time to sign ZC, that said we are back to back champs with a team full of allstars we won't be able to afford them all. If ZC wants to test FA he has deserved the right to do that.....as good as he is and has been for us I stand by we can not "Reilly" ourselves out of the rest of the team with too high a contract for a QB. Would there be a drop off almost a guarantee, but would it be worse a multi position drop-off?

Harris may be good plan B. He would be another guy coming in with something to prove with great supporting cast..kinda like ZC did in 2019, and one would assume at much cap friendlier contract.

Depending on what happens with Reilly, Fajardo is set to be the highest paid QB any around $505k I believe.  You can?t pay Zach less than Fajardo, so we are going to have to be at least at $520k.  Personally, I think $550k is the absolute max given the re-calibration of QB compensation. 

Time is completely on Zach?s side.  If Reilly retires, then Zachs market value goes up.  If Reilly returns at a restructured contract, it may be more than the Fajardo benchmark, and set a favourable precedent.  If Harris or Masoli sign anywhere else before Feb 8, the Bombers have fewer fallback options, and Zack?s hand strengthens. 

Walters is going to have to draw a line in the sand, and if his best offer doesn?t get traction, he better start putting out feelers.
grab grass 'n growl

Sec227

Even if Cody wins it all in Sask this year. NO way in hell is he getting that kind of money in his new contract. When Bo has two rings and MOP etc. Gets less NO WAY...Ecomnics are still unknown, and who the heck knows if this keeps moving. They might be fan less, another lost year...Cody is monster monster overpay.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sec227 on January 18, 2022, 08:15:18 PM
Even if Cody wins it all in Sask this year. NO way in hell is he getting that kind of money in his new contract. When Bo has two rings and MOP etc. Gets less NO WAY...Ecomnics are still unknown, and who the heck knows if this keeps moving. They might be fan less, another lost year...Cody is monster monster overpay.

The way I see it Sask. should make Fajardo the highest paid player in the CFL increasing the pressure on him within the fishbowl.  It will only make the implosion that much more spectacular when he fails to drag them to a G.C. appearance at Mosaic.  When the dust settles, Cody will be elsewhere and the Riders will start the process all over again.  The fun never ends.

Blue72

If Zac moves to another team he better hope that he doesn't have to come against our defense to often. He should ask our QB's what it is like to run for your life against our team. As for receivers why wouldn't they want to play here especially if Zac comes back. Why would anyone want to go to Toronto with NO fans, when you have a great fan base and playoff money here

gobombersgo

Transactions:

2022-01-18   WPG   GAUTHIER, Shayne   LB   N   Laval   Add To   Active Roster

Blue In BC

Team is doing a pretty good job getting our Canadian players to re-sign contracts. At least the ground troops so to speak. Need to see more activity on the starters both Canadian and Imports.

Rough count of about 20 players I'd like to see re-signed including 17 starters. At least we haven't directly heard of more losses to NFL although that can still happen.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_or_die

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 18, 2022, 08:31:33 PM
The way I see it Sask. should make Fajardo the highest paid player in the CFL increasing the pressure on him within the fishbowl.  It will only make the implosion that much more spectacular when he fails to drag them to a G.C. appearance at Mosaic.  When the dust settles, Cody will be elsewhere and the Riders will start the process all over again.  The fun never ends.

That sounds great!
#Ride?

Pigskin

Quote from: gobombersgo on January 18, 2022, 10:41:20 PM
Transactions:

2022-01-18   WPG   GAUTHIER, Shayne   LB   N   Laval   Add To   Active Roster

Another solid signing. Still remember SG44 flicking the switch on his Nitro with 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter and making a game saving tackle in the 2019 West final.

Pigskin

About 21 days left in FA. and still a number of players left to sign.

Offense: ZC8, Couture, Bryant, Bailey, Woli82, and then there's JA27, AH33, BO20.

Defense: AB4, BA37, Rose, Jones, Taylor, Darby and the Stove.

Teams: Benson, Grant, Place kicker??? Leggs is the only player signed.

bwiser

Quote from: Pigskin on January 19, 2022, 08:25:15 PM
Another solid signing. Still remember SG44 flicking the switch on his Nitro with 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter and making a game saving tackle in the 2019 West final.
Cup saving tackle!

dd

Quote from: Pigskin on January 18, 2022, 07:24:23 PM
ZC8 just mite be taking his time and waiting to see who we sign on the OL and at RB. We are all talking about our OL, but to this point none of our Canadian RB's have been signed. No Bailey, Lawler, or even Adams. Lot's of holes in our O at this point.

If ZC8 doesn't sign, I am looking at Masoli first, Harris second. MBT is up and down like a rollercoaster.  Strev could also play a part in all of this. And a HARD NO on Nichols.
I surely hope we can come to terms with the guy who guided us to 2 straight Grey cups, don?t be cheap, just pay the man what he?s worth. I just don?t see him signing anywhere else. He?s got the leagues besy O line here, he hasn?t been hurt since he got here, he loves the clubhouse, is pretty much guaranteed playoff money, great fan base, why leave for a couple extra bucks in Ottawa and get killed like nichols and Davis did. He?s signing here. I don?t even want to think beyond that, if we don?t sign him, don?t even want to go there. Sign him. He?s the only MUST sign player we have

gobombersgo

BLUE BOMBERS EXTEND CONTRACT OF CANADIAN LINEBACKER SHAYNE GAUTHIER

WINNIPEG, MB., January 19, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms on a one-year contract extension with Canadian linebacker Shayne Gauthier, who was scheduled to become a free agent next month.

Gauthier
(5-10, 223; Laval University; born: February 20, 1992, in Dolbeau-Mistassini, QC) returns to the Blue Bombers for a sixth season with the club in 2022.

A fourth-round selection, 28th overall, by the Blue Bombers in the 2016 CFL Draft, Gauthier has suited up for 63 games with the club over five years and has not missed a game in the previous two seasons. Gauthier posted career-best numbers in 2021 while working in a linebacker rotation in the Blue Bombers top-rated defence, finishing with 15 defensive tackles and adding nine more on special teams.

Gauthier totalled 130 tackles during his four years at Laval and was also a two-time RSEQ All-Star while earning CIS Second-Team All-Canadian honours as a senior.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2022/01/19/blue-bombers-extend-contract-canadian-linebacker-shayne-gauthier/