Blue Bombers roster - 2021-2022

Started by gobombersgo, December 14, 2021, 05:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Quote from: theaardvark on January 13, 2022, 04:47:23 PM
I can see him signing in BC...  or Toronto... or even Ott before signing here, unless we lose Collaros...

I could see Ottawa or Toronto depending on where Masoli and Harris sign. But I think if he's going to be a backup, it will be right here in the Winnipeg. Mite only be a 1 year deal, but he has a connection with Winnipeg.

I can't see BC, they have Rourke as there future QB and he's a BC boy. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 13, 2022, 04:35:51 PM
Some rumour over on Lionbackers that Streveler might be returning to the CFL. No destination mentioned but we should be in the running. Of the choices that exist with potential free agents, he'd be closer to the top of those QB's that might move to another team.

As much I like Streveler, I don't think he can be a top notch starter in this league unless he has fixed his throwing issues. Scrambling around and being a warrior only takes you so far as a QB. Think he still needs a year or two tutelage under someone else before he can be seen as a genuine starter. If he agrees to be the Bombers backup again, would be an upgrade over our current backups. Unless McGuire has shown very well in camps and practice, he is nowhere near the capabilities of Streveler. Maybe should not right off the guy based on only one game he started, but he had those deer in the headlights look, could not read a defence is his life depended on it. Bombers got lucky Collaros did not get injured all past season, but to hope that again is really rolling the dice.

Blue In BC

Quote from: ichabod_crane on January 13, 2022, 05:21:38 PM
As much I like Streveler, I don't think he can be a top notch starter in this league unless he has fixed his throwing issues. Scrambling around and being a warrior only takes you so far as a QB. Think he still needs a year or two tutelage under someone else before he can be seen as a genuine starter. If he agrees to be the Bombers backup again, would be an upgrade over our current backups. Unless McGuire has shown very well in camps and practice, he is nowhere near the capabilities of Streveler. Maybe should not right off the guy based on only one game he started, but he had those deer in the headlights look, could not read a defence is his life depended on it. Bombers got lucky Collaros did not get injured all past season, but to hope that again is really rolling the dice.

I agree. Just saying considering the possible options he'd be an upgrade.

However I had mentioned earlier that I'd take T. Harris for the right money. I don't see him with any options to land a starting role.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Keep signing them Mr. Walters.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

ModAdmin

Some posts related to other CFL teams personnel have been moved to the following thread:

https://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=53778.180
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

gobombersgo

BLUE BOMBERS EXTEND CONTRACT OF CANADIAN LINEBACKER JESSE BRIGGS
JANUARY 16, 2022

WINNIPEG, MB., January 16, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms on a one-year contract extension with Canadian linebacker Jesse Briggs who was scheduled to become a free agent next month.

Briggs (6-1, 207; McGill University; born: April 14, 1990, in Kelowna, BC) returns to the Blue Bombers for a seventh season with the club in 2022.
A second-round selection by the Blue Bombers in the 2014 CFL Draft, Briggs has suited up for 104 regular season games with Winnipeg, ranking him behind only Jake Thomas (150) as the longest-serving member in terms of games played with the team.

His 2021 season was his best statistically. Working in a defensive rotation at linebacker, he finished with 24 tackles and five more on special teams while adding a forced fumble and an 83-yard fumble-return touchdown in a game in Toronto on August 21st. That was the first TD in Briggs' professional career.

Briggs has made 62 special teams tackles in his 104 games with the Blue Bombers. In 2013, his final year at McGill, Briggs won the Friends of McGill Football Trophy as the team's most outstanding defensive player.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2022/01/16/blue-bombers-extend-contract-canadian-linebacker-jesse-briggs/

"WINNIPEG IS MY FOOTBALL HOME" - BRIGGS REMAINS IN BLUE & GOLD
https://www.bluebombers.com/2022/01/16/winnipeg-football-home-briggs-remains-blue-gold/

Pete

So how much ist too much to sign Collaros? I think we'd go up to $550k.. I kbow he was the outstanding player in the grey cup and the season (although the defence was the main reason we won) For any other team that has paid their quarterback more than that ie RIley, Harris and Bo Levi, it has been a failure.

Jesse

Quote from: Pete on January 18, 2022, 01:03:28 AM
   So how much ist too much to sign Collaros? I think we'd go up to $550k.. I kbow he was the outstanding player in the grey cup and the season (although the defence was the main reason we won) For any other team that has paid their quarterback more than that ie RIley, Harris and Bo Levi, it has been a failure.

Strategically - I think 550k is the most a team can pay a QB.

And although ZC8 is playing like the best QB in the league, I don't believe he's playing like the best a QB has ever played.

In a perfect world, he'd check in right at 500k - I guess I'm hoping for 520k (Highest paid, but not extraordinary ridiculous).
My wife is amazing!

dd

Pay the man and don?t get quibbling about 20 grand. He?s the reason our offense goes and yes our defense played a very big role in the grey cup win, but without ZC we don?t win it, plain and simple. Y?all can have your mike Riley?s and your arbuckle s, Evans and mitchels, just give me Collaros and we re gooooood.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: dd on January 18, 2022, 03:23:05 AM
Pay the man and don?t get quibbling about 20 grand. He?s the reason our offense goes and yes our defense played a very big role in the grey cup win, but without ZC we don?t win it, plain and simple. Y?all can have your mike Riley?s and your arbuckle s, Evans and mitchels, just give me Collaros and we re gooooood.
Agreed....he's a winner all the way.    Why would we not sign him?   
Bomber fan for life

gobombersgo

BLUE BOMBERS EXTEND CONTRACT OF WINNIPEG-BORN OFFENSIVE LINEMAN GEOFF GRAY

WINNIPEG, MB., January 17, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms on a 2-year contract extension with Canadian offensive lineman Geoff Gray, who was scheduled to become a free agent next month.

Gray (6-6, 307; University of Manitoba; born: August 11, 1994 in Winnipeg, MB) returns to the Blue Bombers for a fourth season in 2022.

Gray was a first-round selection of the Blue Bombers in the 2017 CFL Draft, eighth overall, and signed his first professional contract with the Green Bay Packers that year. He spent 2017 with the Packers, New York Jets and, finally, the Cleveland Browns before being released in late August of 2018. He joined his hometown Blue Bombers in October of 2018, suiting up for one game that season.

Gray's 2019 season with the Bombers was solid, as he dressed for 13 games, including 12 starts at guard. The club's depth along the offensive line meant he dressed for five games in 2021.

In his days with the Bisons, he was named the Canada West Outstanding Down Lineman of the Year in 2017, a Canadian University First-Team All-Star and a Canada West All-Star.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2022/01/17/blue-bombers-extend-contract-winnipeg-born-offensive-lineman-geoff-gray/

"I'M VERY, VERY HAPPY WITH WHERE I AM." - GRAY STAYING HOME
https://www.bluebombers.com/2022/01/17/im-happy-gray-staying-home/

gobombersgo

Transactions:

2022-01-17   WPG   NEUFELD, Patrick   OL   N   Saskatchewan   Add To   Active Roster
2022-01-17   WPG   GRAY, Geoff   OL   N   Manitoba   Add To   Active Roster
2022-01-14   WPG   MILLER, Mike   FB   N   Acadia   Add To   Active Roster

Pete

Quote from: dd on January 18, 2022, 03:23:05 AM
. Does that mean your willing to pay 600k plus? At what point does it become too much?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on January 18, 2022, 04:47:26 AM
Agreed....he's a winner all the way.    Why would we not sign him?   

That's the wrong question, better to ask "Why would Zach not sign with Winnipeg?".  I think there is real potential for the Argos to offer him a ridiculous multi-year contract, say $650,000, which would have been expected 3-4 years ago but seems out of line in terms of the economics of today.  Such an offer should be well above Walters tolerance for crazy counter-offers, at that point it would be up to Zach to decide how it's going to go down.  Free Agency begins on February 8, I hope Walters is working on Plan B, in case Plan A goes south.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 18, 2022, 05:34:56 PM
That's the wrong question, better to ask "Why would Zach not sign with Winnipeg?".  I think there is real potential for the Argos to offer him a ridiculous multi-year contract, say $650,000, which would have been expected 3-4 years ago but seems out of line in terms of the economics of today.  Such an offer should be well above Walters tolerance for crazy counter-offers, at that point it would be up to Zach to decide how it's going to go down.  Free Agency begins on February 8, I hope Walters is working on Plan B, in case Plan A goes south.

It's not an impossible possibility. Walters will know how negotiations are going and whether Collaros is going to test free agency. Preferably we re-sign him before getting into a bidding war out east.

However, if the worst case scenario happens then we'll be shopping for Masoli, MBT or Harris. Masoli might not even be available to play due to vax status. I don't really want MBT as a starter and Harris is not as good as Collaros. It's also possible one of those 3 takes a cut to remain as # 2 where they are or they sign in Ottawa.

Masoli doesn't even show as a potential free agent. IDK if they've re-structured his deal or will try to do so or trade him now that Evans has re-signed. Lot's of if's in these equations.

Let's hope it doesn't come down to that. Choices are limited at best.
2019 Grey Cup Champions