Blue Bombers roster - 2021-2022

Started by gobombersgo, December 14, 2021, 05:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the paw

I like the one year deals. 

Yes, it means that we sometimes lose a little player continuity.  But there are so many upsides.  Let me enumerate:

1.  There is no way that we are able to put together almost all of the 2019 roster to play in 2021 without one year deals.  Kongbo is maybe one of the most obvious examples who will still want to take his NFL shot, but was willing to come back for a year.  I doubt he would have re-upped if he had to commit to 2 years.  A lot of the other players took haircuts or deferred an increase in order for a chance to repeat, and they are able to rationalize it by telling themselves they will have a chance at an increase after just one more year. 

2.  Slightly different category, but there is no way a guy like Rose or Castillo comes back from the NFL and fills in for the stretch run if it means passing on any NFL interest for a whole nother year. 

3.  It's fundamental fairness.  Clubs routinely fail to live up to the contracts they sign.  Until clubs are required to pay a price for bailing on a multi-year commitment, veteran players should have the option to go short term instead.

4.  For every guy we might lose to the free agency scramble we have been able to add more key pieces.  Stanley Bryant, Adam Bighill, Darvin Adams, Nik Demski, Chris Randle, Andrew Harris and Willie Jefferson were all free agents we have signed and been able to keep, even though the one year deal was an option. Willie Jefferson in particular came on a one year deal.  This was the greatest single difference between Joe Mack and Kyle Walters - we now have a balance between drafting, scouting and strategic free agent acquisition.
grab grass 'n growl

Jesse

Quote from: the paw on December 17, 2021, 03:24:29 PM

Yes, it means that we sometimes lose a little player continuity.  But there are so many upsides.  Let me enumerate:

1.  There is no way that we are able to put together almost all of the 2019 roster to play in 2021 without one year deals.  Kongbo is maybe one of the most obvious examples who will still want to take his NFL shot, but was willing to come back for a year.  I doubt he would have re-upped if he had to commit to 2 years.  A lot of the other players took haircuts or deferred an increase in order for a chance to repeat, and they are able to rationalize it by telling themselves they will have a chance at an increase after just one more year. 

2.  Slightly different category, but there is no way a guy like Rose or Castillo comes back from the NFL and fills in for the stretch run if it means passing on any NFL interest for a whole nother year. 

3.  It's fundamental fairness.  Clubs routinely fail to live up to the contracts they sign.  Until clubs are required to pay a price for bailing on a multi-year commitment, veteran players should have the option to go short term instead.

4.  For every guy we might lose to the free agency scramble we have been able to add more key pieces.  Stanley Bryant, Adam Bighill, Darvin Adams, Nik Demski, Chris Randle, Andrew Harris and Willie Jefferson were all free agents we have signed and been able to keep, even though the one year deal was an option. Willie Jefferson in particular came on a one year deal.  This was the greatest single difference between Joe Mack and Kyle Walters - we now have a balance between drafting, scouting and strategic free agent acquisition.

You can still have an NFL window, regardless of contract length.
My wife is amazing!

the paw

Free agent tracker is up.   Demski is not on it, but Adams is, so our earlier posts were half right...

Anyway, we have 48 players on the list, so there are less than 25% of our team signed for next year.  I'm sure a ton of them will get sewn up before February, so not going to speculate much until mid January.
grab grass 'n growl

Pigskin

Quote from: the paw on December 17, 2021, 08:35:15 PM
Free agent tracker is up.   Demski is not on it, but Adams is, so our earlier posts were half right...

Anyway, we have 48 players on the list, so there are less than 25% of our team signed for next year.  I'm sure a ton of them will get sewn up before February, so not going to speculate much until mid January.

They also have Woli82 listed as an American.

Alford not listed as an FA,  read on another list he was.

Nichols is listed as FA, on another list he's signed for 2022

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: the paw on December 17, 2021, 03:24:29 PM

1). NFL out is always there no matter what the length of contract is. These spring football leagues have no agreements in place yet with the CFL, but those might come eventually as well. Sure you can get cut anytime in the CFL or NFL which is why most players want up-front bonuses which is guaranteed money.

2) Like I mention above, NFL window always there even on a multi-year deal.

3) I find it a bit off putting the NHL/NBA/MLB have GUARANTEED Salaries so whether you stink the joint out or live up to it you get your money no matter what. Wish I had that guarantee in my job! ;) Even Evander Kane whom the Sharks absolutely want no part of after all his craziness is still getting full salary due to CBA agreement. CF/NFL is maybe skewed the other the other way, but again this is why players usually want up-front guaranteed bonus money beyond salary to compensate for such thing. First year OK, but like you said come second or third year a few players get cut due to a bonus coming up. Stink it up though why should you be rewarded?  Maybe some kind of middle ground is required I think to be totally fair to both teams and players.

4) Darvin Adams was a CFL free agent signing? I don't recall that. Thought he was just a recruited from down south after maybe some earlier NFL aspirations.

Here is his WIKI page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darvin_Adams

You are right, he played with the Argos at first in the CFL! I don't recall that at all. Did not do too much in Argoland though, so not like we stole him away I think. Adams has been a Bomber since 2015.

Another factoid from the wiki page. Adams has never played an entire 18 game season even once. Closes was in 2018 with 17 games in 2018, 16 in 2015.

IN the Bombers case, they are a team players want to come to for the last few seasons. The Sad Sacks don't have this lure unfortunately.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Darvin was a player O'Shea brought with him from the Argos in 2014, along with JFG, Romby Bryant and the infamous MLB E.J. Kuale.  Could be more but that's all I can recall.

gobombersgo

Bombers with no one on the list:

The CFL's ten highest-paid defensive backs

1) S Antoine Pruneau, Ottawa Redblacks (N) - $142,500 ($109,000)

2) S Tunde Adeleke, Hamilton Tiger-Cats (N) - $132,000 ($106,000)

3) S Royce Metchie, Calgary Stampeders (N) - $125,000 ($92,000)

4) HB T.J. Lee, B.C. Lions (A) - $120,000 ($100,000)

T-4) S Marcus Sayles, B.C. Lions (A) - $120,000 ($98,000)

T-4) S Mike Edem, Saskatchewan Roughriders (N) - $120,000 ($96,000)

T-7) CB Jonathon Mincy, Edmonton Elks (A) - $110,000 ($93,000)

T-7) HB Loucheiz Purifoy, Saskatchewan Roughriders (A) - $110,000 ($90,000)

T-7) HB Ed Gainey, Saskatchewan Roughriders (A) - $110,000 ($89,000)

T-7) HB Shaquille Richardson, Toronto Argonauts (A) - $110,000 ($87,500)

T-7) S Jordan Hoover, Edmonton Elks (N) - $110,000 ($84,000)

Best of the rest: CB DaShaun Amos, Calgary Stampeders; HB Ciante Evans, Hamilton Tiger-Cats; SAM Patrick Levels, Montreal Alouettes; CB Nick Marshall, Saskatchewan Roughriders (A); CB Frankie Williams, Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

https://3downnation.com/2021/12/27/the-cfls-ten-highest-paid-defensive-backs/

gobombersgo

BLUE BOMBERS ADD PLAYERS TO ROSTER

WINNIPEG, MB., December 28, 2021 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following players have been signed to the 2022 roster:

American offensive lineman Jalen Burks - ended 2021 on practice roster (PR)
American kicker Ali Mourtada - ended 2021 on PR
American receiver Kelvin McKnight - ended 2021 on PR
American defensive back Demerio Houston - ended 2021 on PR
American defensive tackle Ricky Walker - ended 2021 on active
National linebacker Robbie Lowes - ended 2021 on PR
Global linebacker Les Maruo - ended 2021 on PR
National running back Kyle Borsa

https://www.bluebombers.com/2021/12/28/blue-bombers-add-players-roster/

Blue Bombers sign eight players, including Canadian running back Kyle Borsa

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have signed eight players, including Canadian running back Kyle Borsa.

Borsa
was selected in the fifth round, 39th overall by the Bombers during the 2021 CFL Draft. He attended training camp with Winnipeg during the summer, but returned to the University of Regina for his final year of eligibility during the fall. The six-foot, 200-pound back spent his entire U Sports career with his hometown Rams.

Borsa carried the ball 195 times for 1,037 yards (5.3 yards per carry) and seven majors along with 43 receptions for 436 yards and three touchdowns during 22 games with Regina. During his time with the program, he posted 2,773 all-purpose yards, including 1,300 yards as a returner, and 10 total touchdowns.

The Bombers re-signed American defensive tackle Ricky Walker. The six-foot-two, 287-pound Walker played seven games for Winnipeg last season, recording eight tackles and one sack. The 25-year-old spent time with the Dallas Cowboys and Cleveland Browns prior to coming north of the border.

Winnipeg also signed six players who ended the 2021 CFL season on the practice roster: American offensive lineman Jalen Burks, American kicker Ali Mourtada, American receiver Kelvin McKnight, American defensive back Demerio Houston, national linebacker Robbie Lowes and Global linebacker Les Maruo.

https://3downnation.com/2021/12/28/blue-bombers-sign-eight-players-including-canadian-running-back-kyle-borsa/

Transactions:

2021-12-28   WPG   MOURTADA, Ali   K   A      Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-28   WPG   MARUO, Les   LB   N   Texas at San Antonio   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-28   WPG   MCKNIGHT, Kelvin   WR   A   Samford   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-28   WPG   LOWES, Robbie   LB   N   Regina   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-28   WPG   HOUSTON, Demerio   DB   N   Southern   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-28   WPG   BURKS, Jalen   OL   A   Wisconsin Stevens Point   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-28   WPG   BORSA, Kyle   RB   N      Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-28   WPG   WALKER, Ricky   DL   A   Virginia Tech   Add To   Active Roster
2021-12-28   WPG   WALKER, Ricky   DL   A   Virginia Tech   Delete From Active   Free Agent

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 14, 2021, 07:20:32 PM
That's the kind of thing the CFL has to crack down on, Wpg. will be one of the teams subsidizing the league, every team needs to play by the salary rules, no exceptions.

This is one of the things the CFL has to INCREASE.  Giving players a reason to settle down in a community, to have lucrative careers during and post playing days in the city.  If the CFL could get more players to take advantage of their training to earn a living outside the gridiron in the offseason, we would have more player continuity and players, like Bighill, able to play like a million bucks and only need $115k...

This is not a thing to be discouraged, rather it needs to be encouraged.

Now, if you are suggesting some teams, in the past, have funneled funds to wives or family members or even players themselves for :no need to report" mafioso type jobs, of course, there is no place in the league for that.

But, in Mr. Bighill's case, he is earning his non football paycheck.  And kudos for his other bosses for giving him the time he needs to play ball.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on December 28, 2021, 02:34:56 PM
Mourtada?

.....what?

No guarantee Castillo comes back but it's too early to suggest he won't either. Mourtada might have the strongest leg of any of our kickers. So bringing him back to TC as an ELC players is not the worst idea until we see how things play out.

If he can improve his mechanics he might have a future. I'm not confidant of that but I'm not surprised the team is doing this at the moment.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Tee42

Sergio will not be back. Ali was signed in case there are no other kickers available. Liegghio is still here.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 28, 2021, 04:22:01 PM
No guarantee Castillo comes back but it's too early to suggest he won't either. Mourtada might have the strongest leg of any of our kickers. So bringing him back to TC as an ELC players is not the worst idea until we see how things play out.

If he can improve his mechanics he might have a future. I'm not confidant of that but I'm not surprised the team is doing this at the moment.

I think Mourtada's mechanics were good, his aim was slightly off in his first few games but he seemed to have figured it out in the end, glad they're inviting out for another try.  People writing him off based on his performance in one maybe two games is not really fair.

Pigskin

It would be nice if Leggs could take over both the place kicking and the punting, but I can't see it.

Mourtada, can't see him more then TC kicker.

Castillo probably will want 125 K plus.

Can Castillo also punt????
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on December 28, 2021, 05:35:08 PM
It would be nice if Leggs could take over both the place kicking and the punting, but I can't see it.

Mourtada, can't see him more then TC kicker.

Castillo probably will want 125 K plus.

Can Castillo also punt????

$125K might not be unreasonable depending on new CBA and SMS setting. Less than Medlock.  Yes he has been a punter in the CFL with a 44.4 yard average. Regardless I expect we go with dual kickers in 2022.

Leggs will be better in 2022 but whether he takes on more responsibility depends on others making decisions like Castillo. I expect we're making him an fair offer. Whether he accepts is hard to say.

2019 Grey Cup Champions